Thread: JD's Guide to Capturing Animals

Default JD's Guide to Capturing Animals

How to Capture Animals
    Starting in Travian version 4, it is now possible to Capture or Cage Animals and bring them home to your village for defense. This guide will answer many of the questions regarding capturing animals.

Why would I want to capture animals?
    One reason would be to remove animals from nearby oases allowing raiding of those oases sooner. This is even if you do not have enough troops yet to clear an oasis. In Travian v4, oases provide a large amount of easy resources. However those animals just get in the way. By capturing animals this will reduce or eliminate the possiblity of losing troops during your raids. But beware of respawning animal. Many oases will randomly respawn animals after a few days or weeks. Capturing respawining animals will be discussed later in the guide.

Another reason would be to provide decent and cheap defense for your village. Nothing suprises attackers more than finding animals in a village that has been constantly raided. Here is an example of an attack on a village that had animals as defenders. This was quite a suprise to see after raiding this village for several days.

Will capturing animals kill my hero?
    No. If your hero attacks an oasis while equipped with cages no fight will take place between you and nature. Notice in the picture below where it says No fight will take place but animals will be captured.

What if I attack an oasis and my hero is not equipped with cages?
    Then a battle will take place and your hero will suffer damage.

Is it possible to use my animals to attack or defend other villages?
    No. Animals may only be used as defense for the village from which they were captured. It is not possible to control them for any other usage.

How much wheat do the animals consume in my village?
    None, they are fed through the magic of the air.

What type of animals should I choose?
    Here is a chart on the defense of the animals. Don't waste cages on rats and spiders unless it is needed. In most cases you will have to cage the smaller animals to get the bigger animals. It should be noted that crocodiles are better for overall defense than tigers. The only exception would be if you are facing an attack purely of cavalry and even there you're only losing 10 defense per animal

How much defense do the animals provide compared to my own troops?
    The chart noted above describes the base defense of each nature troop. But let us compare that to the defense of the initial troop of each tribe. The first number is defense against infantry and the second number is defense against cavalry.

Legionnaire 35/50
    Maceman 20/5
    Phalanx 40/50

One Bear provides 140/200 defense. So to provide the same infantry defense as the bear you would need either 4 Legionnaire, 7 Macemen, or 4 Phalanx. It is even more beneficial for Teuton cavalry defense since you would need 40 Macemen to compared to that of one bear. Also, remember animals do not consume wheat.

In what order are animals captured?
    The cages will cycle through the animals from lowest defense to highest. Using the following number of cages would trap the animals in this order.
    5 cages = 1 rat, 1 snake, 1 bear, 1 tiger, and then another rat.
    9 cages = 1 rat, 1 snake, 1 bear, 1 tiger, 1 rat, 1 snake, 1 bear, 1 tiger, 1 rat.
    13 cages = 1 rat, 1 snake, 1 bear, 1 tiger, 1 rat, 1 snake, 1 bear, 1 tiger, 1 rat, 1 spider, 1 bear, 1 rat, 1 spider
    (Notice the 13 cages example, after 11 cages there were no tigers left, so the next animal available was a rat.)

To optimize your cages (using the previous picture as an example) you may only want to equip 8 cages, even if you have more. There were only two tigers. If more cages had been used, that would just be capture more rats and spiders. Those cages could be saved for another oasis that might have more tigers.
    Last edited by JD70; 03-09-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Will animals ever respawn an oasis after it has been cleared?
    Yes. This can be very annoying, so be careful to recheck your oasis for animals respawning and sniping your troops. Sometimes an oasis will have respawned between sending troops to an oasis and the troops actually arriving.

However, this can be beneficial if you catch it in time. Due to how the animals respawn, it is possible to clear the rats and spiders and then target specific animals for caging. Animals currently respawn one type at a time. All the rats will spawn, then all the snakes, then all the bears, then all the tigers.

So if you want tigers but don't want to waste traps on lower level animals. Keep a close eye on your oases. Once the animals start respawning, send normal troops to clear the rats when they spawn. Wait for the snakes and then clear them when they spawn. Once the specific animal being targeted starts respawining, this is when you send your cages again.

How do I equip my hero with cages?
    On the Attributes tab of your Hero page, just drag your cages to the box located at the feet of your hero. Once you have moved the cages, you will be asked how many cages do you want to equip for your hero.

How do I get cages?
    You can find cages either through Adventures or from the Auction block. You should receive 6 cages within your first 10 hero adventures. If you are purchasing cages from the auction keep in mind that the average price has been between 900-1100 silver per cage. Cages are always present on the auction block, so spend your silver wisely. Notice in this example someone overspending on the 13 cages. If they wait they could save 5000 in silver.

Last edited by JD70; 03-09-2011 at 01:47 PM.

You can also target specific animals for caging if you clear an oases or find one that is repopulating. This can be an arduous process but it's doable. Animals currently respond one type at a time. All the rats will spawn, then all snakes, then all the bears, then all the tigers.

So if you want tigers but don't want to waste traps on the other stuff you can clear the oases, scout it repeatedly and then clear the rats when they spawn. Keep watching and clear the snakes when they spawn, then clear the bears. Then send in your hero with 2 traps once the tigers spawn.

I would also like to point out that crocodiles are better overall for defense than tigers. The only exception would be if you are facing an attack purely of cavalry and even there you're only losing 10 defense per.
    Last edited by boomdawg; 03-09-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Senator

Nice guide, but it might be a good idea to show comparisons of battles with/without animals and their outcomes to demonstrate the effect that they can have.
    My first hammer: s8r1 - mhisti
    Not my first hammer: s1r4 - Loved1

s1r7 - Ifrit 3,111,384 offense points

[6:49:56 PM] Bugzy: Let's report Ifrit for genocide

Or maybe draw a comparison to how many of certain units a croc is, for example a tiger is roughly 4 spearmen (going from memory so probably wrong). Given that a tiger doesn't eat crop that makes it infinitely better for self defense.

It would also be a good idea to clarify that captured animals can only be used for defense in the village that they were captured.

Quote Originally Posted by To Be Somebody View Post
    It would also be a good idea to clarify that captured animals can only be used for defense in the village that they were captured.
    I use mine for a lot more than just defense... in fact, if people knew what was going on, they'd take those animals away from me.
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

@boomdawg - I will add that in on my update.
    @Old MacDonald - Think I might go with the boomdawg suggestion. Only a combat simulator could give accurate comparissons on with/without animals in a fight since there are a variable of troop types and nature types.
    @To Be Somebody - Thought for sure I had that in there, will update.
    @Erbal - I will definitely put in a section about the ASPCA, just for people like you.
    Last edited by JD70; 03-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but in the section about buying cages, you put "examply"

Updated. Thank you for the suggestions and ideas so far. (Except for Erbal)

I wonder what would happen if a hero equipped cages and was sent against a player village that only had animals on defense...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I wonder what would happen if a hero equipped cages and was sent against a player village that only had animals on defense...
    Tried it, doesn't work. Only animals from Oasis.

Quote Originally Posted by JD70 View Post
    The cages will cycle through the animals from lowest defense to highest.
    This should probably be re-written as "The cages will cycle through the animals in the order they are shown on screen". As you pointed out earlier, crocs have better defense than tigers, however the crocs appear first on screen. It will trap a croc (which shows up first) before it will trap a tiger (which has lower "overall" defense).

Thank you Jason, I will take it under consideration.
    Last edited by JD70; 03-10-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    This should probably be re-written as "The cages will cycle through the animals in the order they are shown on screen". As you pointed out earlier, crocs have better defense than tigers, however the crocs appear first on screen. It will trap a croc (which shows up first) before it will trap a tiger (which has lower "overall" defense).
    I can confirm this. crocs get taken before tigers.

Do nature troops that were trapped show up when a village is scouted even though they arent consuming wheat like the rat you get from going through the quests?
    Last edited by Bill Maher; 04-02-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Maher View Post
    I can confirm this. crocs get taken before tigers.

Do nature troops that were trapped show up when a village is scouted even though they arent consuming wheat like the rat you get from going through the quests?
    Yes, nature troops show up when you scout someone.

Quote Originally Posted by To Be Somebody View Post
    no derp,, why would animal obey human commander?

When you send the animals back, do you get to keep some of the cages, like how some traps are auto fixed if you choose to release the troops inside?
    Your troops defeated and your warehouse depleted says Popeye the Raider man Toot Toot

Quote Originally Posted by player of strategy View Post
    When you send the animals back, do you get to keep some of the cages, like how some traps are auto fixed if you choose to release the troops inside?
    Nope. When you send them back, the animals and the cages just disappear.