Thread: T4 Auction Guide

Senator

Default T4 Auction Guide

So, you just finished your first ten adventures? Well, let me introduce you to The Auction System.

The Basics

At the auctions, players can buy and sell items that they discovered on adventures. Everything from cages, to armor, to artwork sells, some items for substantially more or less than others. The currency used in these purchases is silver, which is new to T4. Silver can be obtained one of four ways:
    • Completing certain quests
    • Finding silver during adventures
    • Selling your own items at auction
    • Exchanging your gold into silver via the Exchange Office

Note: Gold can be exchanged for silver at a rate of 1:100, and Silver can be exchanged for Gold at a rate of 200:1.

Generally, the more valuable an item is, the more it will sell for. Left or right handed items such as Pennants or swords, or armor such as Scale Armor or helmets will typically sell more than items like cages, Books of Wisdom, or ointments. However, there are exceptions to every rule, and occasionally an item you sell will get an arguably ludicrous return. For a complete list of hero items, see Kirilloid or TravianTale.

Placing a Bid

Participating in an auctions is rather easy, but it could be confusing if it’s your first time, so I’ll walk you through the process. First thing is first, click the small gavel in the top right of your screen attached to your hero.

This will bring you to the main auction page, where you can see all the items for sale. Here you can filter through by item type. Nearest to the top of the page will be auctions that are nearly complete, and further down will be items with more time remaining. A description of the items for sale will be displayed, as well as the number of bids, current highest bid, time remaining in the auction, and lastly the bid button. If you have an adequate amount of silver to place a bid, you will see a small green button and the word “Bid”. Clicking this will open a dropdown in which the current bid, name of the highest bidder, and an area to place your own bid, are displayed.

Naturally, you must outbid other players looking to obtain that same item. A minimum bid is displayed on the right, however, simply bidding the minimum will not always do the trick.
    Let’s say, for example, that an item is currently going for 100 silver. The minimum bid displayed would be 101, yet the highest bidder at the time may have bid anything over 99 silver. You must then bid more than the previous bidder. If you do not bid more, at the top of the auction screen in red letters will be the words, “You got outbid”.

You can either give up then, or if the item is worth the higher price to you, then keep on bidding until you are now the highest bidder. If, when the time runs out for an item which you are the highest bidder, you will then have that item in your possession, and the amount of silver that you bid will be transferred to the player who sold the item. Please note that you can not "snipe" a bid by placing he highest bid with just seconds left in an auction. When a new high bid is placed with under five minutes left, the time resets up to five minutes with your new bid as the high bid.

Selling an Item

The next tab over is the sell tab. Clearly, here is where you can put up your own items acquired during adventures or purchased in auctions up for sale. Simply click on the item, confirm that you would like to put it up for sale, and your item will be placed on the auction list. Beware though, after the first bid has been placed on your item, it is there permanently. Your item will be up for 24 hours, and then the highest bidder will receive your item, and you will get their silver. Items you sell will be kept track of in a list with all the information pertaining to the sale such as number of bids, time and date, item type, etc.

It is believed by some that putting an item up for auction during the hours when most people are online after work/school/etc (say 5 - 10 PM EST), resulting in your item being on the first page of bidding when the majority of players are online, will net you the largest reward. As with everything, this is not always the case, but has shown to be true in several instances.

The last tab is the Bids tab. This will show you an up-to-date view of any items you have placed a bid on, allowing you to easily keep up with your bidding. Below that finished auctions are shown, and you will see the results of all auctions that you participated in, whether you were the highest bidder in the end or not.

Well, that's that. The Auction System explained. Hopefully with this you can go out there and sell sell sell! Best of luck!
    Last edited by Old MacDonald; 02-27-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    My first hammer: s8r1 - mhisti
    Not my first hammer: s1r4 - Loved1

s1r7 - Ifrit 3,111,384 offense points

[6:49:56 PM] Bugzy: Let's report Ifrit for genocide

Farmhand

Thanks for the bidding explanation although I still hate how the high bid is done to allow "ghost bids"

Probably worth mentioning that you cannot "snipe" bids in the dying seconds of an auction. If there is less than 5 minutes left when a bid is placed, the timer will start counting down from 5 minutes.

Nice Guide. But remember selling an auction item at around 5-7pm EST will give you a lot more money than if you sell it at 3 am EST.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by HHHHH View Post
    Nice Guide. But remember selling an auction item at around 5-7pm EST will give you a lot more money than if you sell it at 3 am EST.
    Heh, thanks for reminding me!

And thanks jason, I'll add that in.

Can you buy your own stuff back if it is going to low(if you have the silver)?

No.
    You can't even see your own auction to be able to bid on it.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

Quote Originally Posted by Old MacDonald View Post
    So, you just finished your first ten adventures? Well, let me introduce you to The Auction System.

The Basics

At the auctions, players can buy and sell items that they discovered on adventures. Everything from cages, to armor, to artwork sells, some items for substantially more or less than others. The currency used in these purchases is silver, which is new to T4. Silver can be obtained one of four ways:
    • Completing certain quests
    • Finding silver during adventures
    • Selling your own items at auction
    • Exchanging your gold into silver via the Exchange Office

Note: Gold can be exchanged for silver at a rate of 1:100, and Silver can be exchanged for Gold at a rate of 200:1.

Generally, the more valuable an item is, the more it will sell for. Left or right handed items such as Pennants or swords, or armor such as Scale Armor or helmets will typically sell more than items like cages, Books of Wisdom, or ointments. However, there are exceptions to every rule, and occasionally an item you sell will get an arguably ludicrous return. For a complete list of hero items, see Kirilloid or TravianTale.

Placing a Bid

Participating in an auctions is rather easy, but it could be confusing if it’s your first time, so I’ll walk you through the process. First thing is first, click the small gavel in the top right of your screen attached to your hero.

This will bring you to the main auction page, where you can see all the items for sale. Here you can filter through by item type. Nearest to the top of the page will be auctions that are nearly complete, and further down will be items with more time remaining. A description of the items for sale will be displayed, as well as the number of bids, current highest bid, time remaining in the auction, and lastly the bid button. If you have an adequate amount of silver to place a bid, you will see a small green button and the word “Bid”. Clicking this will open a dropdown in which the current bid, name of the highest bidder, and an area to place your own bid, are displayed.

Naturally, you must outbid other players looking to obtain that same item. A minimum bid is displayed on the right, however, simply bidding the minimum will not always do the trick.
    Let’s say, for example, that an item is currently going for 100 silver. The minimum bid displayed would be 101, yet the highest bidder at the time may have bid anything over 99 silver. You must then bid more than the previous bidder. If you do not bid more, at the top of the auction screen in red letters will be the words, “You got outbid”.

You can either give up then, or if the item is worth the higher price to you, then keep on bidding until you are now the highest bidder. If, when the time runs out for an item which you are the highest bidder, you will then have that item in your possession, and the amount of silver that you bid will be transferred to the player who sold the item. Please note that you can not "snipe" a bid by placing he highest bid with just seconds left in an auction. When a new high bid is placed with under five minutes left, the time resets up to five minutes with your new bid as the high bid.

Selling an Item

The next tab over is the sell tab. Clearly, here is where you can put up your own items acquired during adventures or purchased in auctions up for sale. Simply click on the item, confirm that you would like to put it up for sale, and your item will be placed on the auction list. Beware though, after the first bid has been placed on your item, it is there permanently. Your item will be up for 24 hours, and then the highest bidder will receive your item, and you will get their silver. Items you sell will be kept track of in a list with all the information pertaining to the sale such as number of bids, time and date, item type, etc.

It is believed by some that putting an item up for auction during the hours when most people are online after work/school/etc (say 5 - 10 PM EST), resulting in your item being on the first page of bidding when the majority of players are online, will net you the largest reward. As with everything, this is not always the case, but has shown to be true in several instances.

The last tab is the Bids tab. This will show you an up-to-date view of any items you have placed a bid on, allowing you to easily keep up with your bidding. Below that finished auctions are shown, and you will see the results of all auctions that you participated in, whether you were the highest bidder in the end or not.

Well, that's that. The Auction System explained. Hopefully with this you can go out there and sell sell sell! Best of luck!

Thanks you for the post.
    Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Senator

No problem!

If you have any questions about the game, use the search function first, and then post here if you still can't find an answer. Since I take it you're playing T4 (server 7), another good post to read is this one. Also, read this page for a collection of great guides.

-Old Mac

Quote Originally Posted by HHHHH View Post
    A piece of info like this shouldn't be included in the guide. I've noticed that from the moment somebody first pointed out the differing prices based on times, things have changed. The market is now saturated during the "peak hours" by people trying to game the system for high sales prices. I have way better luck selling at a less saturated time.

The auction system is greatly affected by a few heavy gold/silver users, and those people tend to at least follow the forums. It doesn't take long for a public declaration of "It's cheaper if you buy stuff at xx:xx EST" to turn xx:xx into the most competitive (read: expensive) buyers market of the day, because the general activity of the server doesn't matter all that much... The dial is moved by the heavy investors.

tl;dr version:

If you tell people "The best time to buy/sell is xx:xx," everybody will try to buy/sell at those time, and it will no longer be profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    No.
    You can't even see your own auction to be able to bid on it.
    Somehow I think I did. I'll check again tomorrow and try to confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by morrigu View Post
    I've looked.
    You can't.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by morrigu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    I've looked.
    You can't.
    And if you're 100% sure you are, then report it in the T4 Bug Thread.

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyme View Post

If you tell people "The best time to buy/sell is xx:xx," everybody will try to buy/sell at those time, and it will no longer be profitable.
    What I've noticed is that if you go an hour or so before, or an hours or so after what people think are the best times, you actually do a lot better.

I find that prices are more consistent when there aren't a bunch of items of the same type/quantity ending together. By that I mean that one or two of them will often slip through at a significantly lower price. With that in mind, when I post items I always make sure that there aren't a bunch of other items also at that same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungrave View Post
    Thanks for the bidding explanation although I still hate how the high bid is done to allow "ghost bids"
    That is actually one of my favorite aspects of the system. I really like that I can place a max bid for an item that ends when I won't be online but only pay as much as anyone else would have wanted to pay.

Also, I have found that by placing my max bid from the start I reduce the chance for the last 5 min to recycle. The longer an item sits in the last 5 min, the more it will cost. I was buying a lot of ointments the other day when prices were low and found that if an item went above my max bid (so that it recirculated the 5 min) that it would end at a significantly higher price than the ones that did not. Sometimes as much as 2x a matching item ending at the same time.