Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve's T4 Roman Start Guide

I disagree with some of this guide. Just for context I was the 3rd roman 8th overall account to settle second village on s7 the first t4 server on .us. We settled 9 days after starting our account. We had the first roman account to get a raider ribbon for the week in week 6 and have held steady as the top roman raider in every week so far. We are also the top roman account population wise. So when I say I disagree with some of this I do know how to play romans on t4.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve10 View Post
    Step 2: A Little Bit Further

Step 2d: The Wall Shall Rise:

The wall is an important tool in Travian 4 at the early game, it allows players (Romans especially) to cause casualties on attackers without leaving a single one of your own troops in harms way. As soon as possible build your wall to level 4 (before end of BP) as this will ensure that 1 clubswinger/maceman is killed when a Teuton attacks you, this may not seem like much but if every time the Teuton attacks they lose one of their troops and gain no resources then you most likely will not be attacked in the first week again.
    To me the wall is just a waste of res. You are better off using that res on more legos. Sure you might kill a mace that tries to attack you but you are better off using the extra legs to farm more and thus getting second village faster. I guess if you are in an extremely aggressive area and don't have good dual coverage then its a good idea but you should wait on this till you have a good feel for you area and are sure its absolutely necessary.

Step 3: Am I Ready?

[

Step 3c: Prey & Predators:

You'll be very close to the end of Beginners protection at this point so start looking out in your 13x13 for your victims in the first round of waves, because walls have become a thread I suggest looking for players under 9 population as they are unable to have a barracks and troops and unlikely to have a wall or have caught any animals in traps. These will be your first victims. At the same time make sure to find and avoid raiding any active looking Teutons in your area, remember them for later as they are likely to be going for the same farms you are.
    We farmed mostly oases and inactive didn't mess with the active players and thus didn't' lose troops.

Step 6: Learning

This step is the one where you've got to take the fight to the Tuetons. Don't bother starting this stage if you don't have 100 legs out raiding constantly. This step is pretty simple but it is massively resource intensive so you'll have to try and maximize your raid profits, make sure all your troops are out all of the time.

Step 6c: Research those Horsies:

As I'm sure you'll be aware at the moment your competing for farms against quite a few Teuton (maybe even some Gaul) raiders and you'll be losing. Don't waste your time researching Imperians, you'll gain nothing from them except a waste of time and resources.
    This will probably get me panned but we were able to settle so fast with far less troops then you recommend. We had 65 legos and NO EIs. I know Eis are the conventional rout to getting your second village but had we researched EI it would have slowed us down. Building 100 legos would have slowed us down. I know a lot of people would not agree with. We did not research scouts. 65 EIs got us to a day 9 settlement 3rd roman 8th overall. I don't think we had a great area either. Not to some I have landed in before. I would say that by building/researching a lot of extra Legos, EIs, scouts and by hitting actives and losing troops you are likely going to slow down your settlement. I know its not conventional but it worked well for us we ended up with a great cropper in a great location. I will add we researched scouts and EIs first thing after our settlement.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/5194/m...crewmember.jpg
    s7 r1 - Quinnito/KWC (Gemini) s7 r2 - Kazumodo (frenchmaids) s7 r3 Smokey
    s1 r3 - Nemain (DSP)
    s5x - Pootang (DB!)

I fully understand you point but I believe both strategies can work equally well, to put how close the strategies are in perspective I was also the third/fourth (it's been debated) roman to settle however with the 11th second village overall, so while you beat me slightly I don't believe it makes particularly that much difference and with my EIs when I settled I was able to wipe out a number of raiding forces around my new village.

Oasis raiding is something I plan to add in more detail to the guide some time soon but raiding inactive villages/small villages is much easier for Romans now that Teutons cannot use the cranny dip ability and it significantly speeds up the amount of resources able to be raided in your local area.

We were playing a speed server so it does make some difference to the whole process but because our raiding on the active players we quickly expanded a lot faster than those around us and got to a second village much faster than I thought we would with EIs and Scouts researched, even though I've had better finishes to a server (had to stop playing just before Christmas), and quicker times to a first village I felt that this was definitely my favorite and debatable my best start because having those stuff researched saved a lot of time and resources later and enabled me to get my second village off to a very good start
    Last edited by Steve10; 04-24-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    .co.uk Moderator
    ex .COM Supporter & Moderator
    TravianTales

Guide has now been updated with some serious changes to the steps given, as well as mentioning in a number of places that there are other options to the ones primarily mentioned. Hope it improves the guide somewhat and hopefully people will give me some more suggestions for how to improve the guide. It also seems to be getting slightly longer with each edit I do which is good but it also means that I have to do more work when updating the different bits on the different Travian forums I have it up on.

Also, thanks for everyone who gave advice and like I said I hope I get some more so it can be improved further.
    .co.uk Moderator
    TravianTales

Quote Originally Posted by Bahara View Post
    We had the first roman account to get a raider ribbon for the week in week 6 and have held steady as the top roman raider in every week so far.
    While you are are definitely beating me in raiding, I've been getting robber ribbons as long as you have
    To me the wall is just a waste of res. You are better off using that res on more legos. Sure you might kill a mace that tries to attack you but you are better off using the extra legs to farm more and thus getting second village faster. I guess if you are in an extremely aggressive area and don't have good dual coverage then its a good idea but you should wait on this till you have a good feel for you area and are sure its absolutely necessary.
    I could go either way with regards to walls. It certainly is a nice passive defense, but as you say, if you aren't getting attacked, there isn't really a need to build it.
    We farmed mostly oases and inactive didn't mess with the active players and thus didn't' lose troops.
    And the prevalence of this strategy is exactly why the wall may not be useful. With so many oases available to raid, along with Natars, and of course the standard inactives, risking troops going against an active player is much less exciting than it used to be.
    This will probably get me panned but we were able to settle so fast with far less troops then you recommend. We had 65 legos and NO EIs. I know Eis are the conventional rout to getting your second village but had we researched EI it would have slowed us down. Building 100 legos would have slowed us down. I know a lot of people would not agree with. We did not research scouts. 65 EIs got us to a day 9 settlement 3rd roman 8th overall. I don't think we had a great area either. Not to some I have landed in before. I would say that by building/researching a lot of extra Legos, EIs, scouts and by hitting actives and losing troops you are likely going to slow down your settlement. I know its not conventional but it worked well for us we ended up with a great cropper in a great location. I will add we researched scouts and EIs first thing after our settlement.
    I've been in situations where building EIs in your spawn village is not worth it. It can entirely depend on who else is in your area. It was worse in T3 with cranny dipping. That said, I had 100+ legos and a few dozen EI on s7 when I sent my settlers out on my tenth day (I didn't start until week 3).

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    While you are are definitely beating me in raiding, I've been getting robber ribbons as long as you have
    I know who you are on s7 now hehehehe.
    Last edited by Bahara; 04-25-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/5194/m...crewmember.jpg
    s7 r1 - Quinnito/KWC (Gemini) s7 r2 - Kazumodo (frenchmaids) s7 r3 Smokey
    s1 r3 - Nemain (DSP)
    s5x - Pootang (DB!)

Thanks for sharing this tips
    I will try to use it

I just started on a new server and decided to try roman this time so I was taking a look at this guide. If I can start raiding some oasis's earlier would you recommend it? I skipped the marketplace and went right for raiding and I am now at about 30 legos with 1/2 my BP remaining.

If you want to start raiding oasis then you should, but use your common sense and be careful.
    .co.uk Moderator
    TravianTales