Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marmot Man's guide to the Unorthodox End Game Ram Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Erbal, it is nothing to do with slow servers, everything to do with tiny population servers. On us4 there are only 1083 active players right now. A single player can be in the top 35 alliances no problem.

In this case the alliance on defense holds 8 WW's and has 318 players to defend them. It is a shortened server so this is 2 months earlier than normal on top of it all... yeah, defenses are pathetic by any normal standard.

[edit]And a note to the people who actually think that sending 22k rams solo is a "Good Idea". If there had been 17,373 swordsmen added to that attack (roughly the equivalent amount of attack power), then it would have been about twice as effective. So if you are willing to spend about 43 million in resources, then it will behoove you to spend another 9.5 million to double your power.
    The .US servers have some serious issues with the number of players on their servers so I am sure you are right... it's just hard to imagine any elite players/accounts actually wanting to put in 9+ months of work on any server that drops down to only 1000 active accounts.

But as for your point about adding some extra attack power with those rams is exactly what I am talking about. Anyone who reads this thread and thinks it's a good idea to build a ram-only hammer is on a path to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    Quick tests on a battle sim show there would have to only be between 600k and 700k wheat worth of defense in the wonder to get that report. You'd have to be insane to build for 6 months hoping to find a wonder that weak in endgame. But of course, the stars aligned properly and he DID find one. And I have to admit, that's an awesome looking BR. Forum posts and BRs are the only things that last from one round to the next, so I'd say it paid off.
    I don't think it is a great BR at all and obviously a waste of time and effort in my eyes. You can build like 12k catas and zero a WW with weak defense like that... Seeing "The World Wonder has been destroyed" is much more epic than seeing some wall get knocked down 75% by only rams and a hero.
    Last edited by Erbal; 12-05-2010 at 08:18 AM.
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbal_ View Post
    I don't think it is a great BR at all and obviously a waste of time and effort in my eyes. You can build like 12k catas and zero a WW with weak defense like that... Seeing "The World Wonder has been destroyed" is much more epic than seeing some wall get knocked down 75% by only rams and a hero.
    "The World Wonder has been destroyed" isn't epic at all. There are probably a couple dozen reports that say that every year on .us servers alone. But how many reports have you seen before where siege alone successfully did damage on a Wonder attack?

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

The .US servers have some serious issues with the number of players on their servers so I am sure you are right... it's just hard to imagine any elite players/accounts actually wanting to put in 9+ months of work on any server that drops down to only 1000 active accounts.
    It isn't just the US servers that the player base is down. It is happening everywhere. Even on .com, where there should be some of the largest player bases, the numbers are way down. Fun fact: On the championship play in server, where the Top 1,000 of each tribe qualify for the championship, as of right now only 25 Teutons won't make it to the next round. And since End game doesn't start there for another month or so...

And that's part of the point of this guide, something you seem to either have missed, or have willfully pushed to one side if your efforts to be 'hardcore'. With lower player bases, different strategies become available. Why not push the envelope and be absurd? As long as you're having fun, does it matter in what manner you go about playing the game? No.

s1, s3: Tiny Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    "The World Wonder has been destroyed" isn't epic at all. There are probably a couple dozen reports that say that every year on .us servers alone. But how many reports have you seen before where siege alone successfully did damage on a Wonder attack?
    I wasn't trying to say destroying a crappy WW is really epic, just better in my eyes than almost knocking down a WW wall with only rams. The act of building a ram-only hammer and using it against a very poorly defended WW on a dead server, while still failing to destroy the wall, does not impress me. I could at least give some credit to a cat-only hammer that zero's a WW... but it would still be obvious that the WW did not have much defense so I still wouldn't be overly impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Man View Post
    It isn't just the US servers that the player base is down. It is happening everywhere. Even on .com, where there should be some of the largest player bases, the numbers are way down. Fun fact: On the championship play in server, where the Top 1,000 of each tribe qualify for the championship, as of right now only 25 Teutons won't make it to the next round. And since End game doesn't start there for another month or so...

And that's part of the point of this guide, something you seem to either have missed, or have willfully pushed to one side if your efforts to be 'hardcore'. With lower player bases, different strategies become available. Why not push the envelope and be absurd? As long as you're having fun, does it matter in what manner you go about playing the game? No.
    I've seen several non-US servers with 2 or even 3 times the player population as our servers. Those servers seem to be just fine and I'd be thrilled if things were like that here.

For the record, I am not talking about slow servers. I hardly even recognize the existence of slow servers. I'm not trying to be 'hardcore', I just feel they are way too slow for me to to enjoy and there are too many slow servers, which results in splitting the player base more than what is necessary. Without speed servers, this game is simply not good enough to justify my time/energy/money.

Trust me, when all the speed servers only have 1000 active accounts I won't feel the need to try new unorthodox strategies for fun that take months and months of work... I will feel the need to find a new game.

Feel free to play the game however you want... I'd just hate to see some rookie try to follow this guide thinking this strategy will give good results on any server based on the positive responses to this guide, all because the fine details were purposely left out of the OP. Yes, you made a conscience decision to leave out the fine details like how the server is dead, the WW has horrible defense, and how this won't do jack against a real WW.
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

...For the record, I am not talking about slow servers. I hardly even recognize the existence of slow servers. I'm not trying to be 'hardcore', I just feel they are way too slow for me to to enjoy...
    Aka, hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbal_
    ...I'd just hate to see some rookie try to follow this guide...
    Same here, which is why I put this in the opening part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Man View Post

Who is this guide for? This guide assumes that you have some experience in playing Travian. Beginners will be better suited searching in the guide section for one of the many well written treatises to help them learn the ropes of this fine game.

s1, s3: Tiny Titan

Me thinks that Erbal_ is incapable of finding fun in other manners of play. I personally found the Marmot rammer hilarious. Is it truly effective if you go back a year to the last round when every WW was packing 4M+ reins? No, it'd be laughable. This isn't the same travian as back then and he was able to take advantage of that by using a different strategy. It may not be good enough for you, but if your goal is to have fun without being overly stressed, I'd say this was a pretty good use of time.
    s4r1 - AncientGuru (∆-KoDACE) We succeeded in preventing SE from winning, but lost.
    s4r2 - Hamm (ANE!) We won. WW Hit
    s4r3 - Hamm (AXE) We lost. WW Clear WW Hit #1 WW Hit #2

yeah erbal, why you gotta hate?

MM put up a funsies guide that was TITLED: "unorthodox", and it worked.

so.......... stop trying to make it something it isn't. you didn't care for it? cool, move along.
    us5r2: Tiamat: #1 attacker, #1 hero. had a blast.
    us5r3: Jaali: 'i refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior' -calvin. Grats to Jarwa.
    us3r4: Tempus: Official s3 idiot. herpderp.
    s6r4: Janbos. first, last and only egh.
    s2r6: Persephone/Leif Ericson: The Funtards and divorce are a B****
    s2r7: ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    Birds fly, dogs bark, wookie smash. Such is life.

It would have been even cooler if you had 20k rams, and 1k cats, and zeroed both the wall and the WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Bear View Post
    It would have been even cooler if you had 20k rams, and 1k cats, and zeroed both the wall and the WW.
    Wouldn't have happened -- the WW was at ~60 at the time.

And I think one key point that Erbal is missing --
    Marmot Man is a MORON.
    That's not an insult -- that's a compliment.
    He was part of a small, but extremely resilient alliance (MORON, in case you didn't catch on yet) that spent 70% of the server building villages in the shape of an M with a box around it. And while doing that, he built a ram-only hammer -- not thinking "hey this will be epic, I can pound any WW to dust with it" but thinking, "hey, this'll be hysterical when it hits someone and I bet I can take a few levels off a WW". In point of fact, he hit a poorly defended WW with what turned into an Epic BR. I lost a bunch of troops at that WW (it was followed by 4 other MORONs) but even I have to admit that his rammer was brilliant.

Would it work everywhere?
    No... but it'll work often enough to make it worth trying again.

Would it work on a speed server?
    Ehhh... , probably not.
    But you have to realize a slow server ends up with vastly fewer troops than a speed server.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

That's one bad *** rammer First time I've seen that!
    s2r3: Yut BREW http://www.travian-reports.net/us/report/39892018468
    s3r3: Aerworn Nemesis
    s6r3: Puzzle RTA https://picasaweb.google.com/1178092...57285728149474
    s3r4: Mako GOB
    s6r4: Karma THC - a female dominated alliance - http://travian-reports.net/us/report/189640907c6 work horse hammer