Thread: Travian for the Android

Default Travian for the Android

Hey, I was trying to find a Travian app for my Doid Eris in the marketplace but it came up with zero results.. could anyone help me find what I did wrong or... let me know if there isn't on at all.

There's no travian apps, just use the browser on the droid.
    Last edited by WILD MONKEYS; 07-18-2010 at 02:31 AM.
    US3R3-Judas(Nemesis)(well, some of the server)

Rep signature - ~WM

USXR8-snogabe58(SnoElite)

http://neoptc.com/images/banner1.png

They need to make a mobile version I know it would help me when I'm without a sitter.

It works fine just using the regular browser on the droid. Any travian app would probably be illegal, and would likely get you banned.

If it doesn't work with your browser, try downloading and experimenting with different browsers and different versions of browsers. You'll probably eventually find one that's sufficient for at least basic uses. I found that Opera Mobile works well with my Blackberry Pearl, but only one of the older versions...I think it's version 4.2.

Quote Originally Posted by ladygaga View Post
    If it doesn't work with your browser, try downloading and experimenting with different browsers and different versions of browsers. You'll probably eventually find one that's sufficient for at least basic uses. I found that Opera Mobile works well with my Blackberry Pearl, but only one of the older versions...I think it's version 4.2.
    you should double check that I need to find something so it will work on my pearl

Ok, thanks guys. I've been using my browser but I remember somewhere reading that there was a droid app for it (can't remember where) so when I checked it was blank and I was confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    Ok, thanks guys. I've been using my browser but I remember somewhere reading that there was a droid app for it (can't remember where) so when I checked it was blank and I was confused.
    Nope.
    There have been suggestions for an app for the droid and the iphone, etc., but the answer is always "no."
    Simple reasons:
    1 - it is a browser game. Even on a computer you have no 'app' so the interface is just the browser.
    2 - the cost to develop an app (let alone 1 app for each phone platform) is prohibitive and there's no actual money to be gained from it. Do you want to pay an extra $5-10/mo to use your phone w/ Travian? Will several thousand other people also do so?
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_667 View Post
    you should double check that I need to find something so it will work on my pearl
    Yup, it's 4.2. Go to m.opera.com, click the link for "other download options," click "Opera Mini 4 for Blackberry" and you will be able to download it on the next page. The site should auto-detect that you are on a Pearl (as it did for mine), but you may have to tell it what phone you're using at some point.

It's a little slow and kinda tricky. It took me a while to figure out what all I could do with it. With the slow load time it's not sufficient for timing attacks of any sort or browsing maps. Other than that, you can pretty much do anything if you are patient enough!

Any suggestions as to what type of internet would be of best use for the Eris?

Quote Originally Posted by ladygaga View Post
    Yup, it's 4.2. Go to m.opera.com, click the link for "other download options," click "Opera Mini 4 for Blackberry" and you will be able to download it on the next page. The site should auto-detect that you are on a Pearl (as it did for mine), but you may have to tell it what phone you're using at some point.

It's a little slow and kinda tricky. It took me a while to figure out what all I could do with it. With the slow load time it's not sufficient for timing attacks of any sort or browsing maps. Other than that, you can pretty much do anything if you are patient enough!
    Thank you, I just got the newest version it works fairly good can't really use the map like you said, and kinda tricky finding the right buildings at first. But i guess anything is better then nothing

Thanks again

@MokMonster -- I don't understand. Why would the app be so hard to develop? It's not a challenging app. You're not asking the phone to integrate with all sorts of hardware and port through a bunch of servers to get information - you just have to access an HTML or HTTP page, which is what the browser does anyways.

In essence, all you have to do is access the HTML, parse it, find a way to display it, and send a signal to the Travian servers if you want to upgrade/build/send troops.

Also, there is no monthly payment for an app. You pay once, and that's it.

Banned.

It still takes labor to actually code the app, and it really isn't necessary. If you get internet on your device, then you can pretty much play travian on it- why waste the time and effort?

Because it's a pain in the a** to handle, especially for people who have fat fingers (like me). Browsers on the Android can only zoom in so far, and even at that zoom level, buildings have almost no space between them, which makes it very difficult to accurately touch a building.

Picture it this way: you have a 17" computer screen and a 5 1/2"-wide sledgehammer. This is approximately equal to the ratio of a finger (1/2") to the Android screen (2"). The only way you can access something on the screen is to hit it with the sledgehammer. (Assume the screen is made of some really heavy-duty material. xD ) The icons on the screen are about 3" wide (again, proportional). Do you really think you would be able to quickly and easily access the functions of the game?

Do you have a mobile phone that you use to access Travian?

Quote Originally Posted by cmh0114 View Post
    Because it's a pain in the a** to handle, especially for people who have fat fingers (like me). Browsers on the Android can only zoom in so far, and even at that zoom level, buildings have almost no space between them, which makes it very difficult to accurately touch a building.

Picture it this way: you have a 17" computer screen and a 5 1/2"-wide sledgehammer. This is approximately equal to the ratio of a finger (1/2") to the Android screen (2"). The only way you can access something on the screen is to hit it with the sledgehammer. (Assume the screen is made of some really heavy-duty material. xD ) The icons on the screen are about 3" wide (again, proportional). Do you really think you would be able to quickly and easily access the functions of the game?

I use it as well, and it's not a matter of accuracy. It's a matter of hand-eye coordination and not rushing into pressing the screen where you want to.

(when in dbout, get one of those pointer thingies.)

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I try to touch something on the Android, it has an error margin of a few eighths of an inch. Not bad for most applications, but when you're trying to press icons that are only 3/8" across, it's a problem. I've heard multiple other people complaining about this as well. Maybe you just have really small fingers and so are more accurate.

As for a stylus, those scratch your screen and can eventually ruin it. When possible, I prefer not to use them. If I were to use a stylus for accessing Travian, my screen would be scratched beyond recognition in a few days. o_O

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I try to touch something on the Android, it has an error margin of a few eighths of an inch. Not bad for most applications, but when you're trying to press icons that are only 3/8" across, it's a problem. I've heard multiple other people complaining about this as well. Maybe you just have really small fingers and so are more accurate.

As for a stylus, those scratch your screen and can eventually ruin it. When possible, I prefer not to use them. If I were to use a stylus for accessing Travian, my screen would be scratched beyond recognition in a few days. o_O
    1. make sure the screen has 100% completely stopped loading.

2. Make sure you're actually clicking on it, because where your finger will be pressing is going to be different than where you're looking at.

Done and done. My finger will be directly over the icon of one field, and the highlighted box (not sure what it's called, but the browser uses it to highlight the link you're pressing) will appear over a completely different field. Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes or so just to figure out what the size and direction of the error margin are before I can actually press the icon successfully.

Done and done. My finger will be directly over the icon of one field, and the highlighted box (not sure what it's called, but the browser uses it to highlight the link you're pressing) will appear over a completely different field. Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes or so just to figure out what the size and direction of the error margin are before I can actually press the icon successfully.
    Are you zoomed in?

As far as it can go.

As far as it can go.
    The only other word of advice I can give is use it sideways and that might help increase the size.

Tried it, doesn't do much for me. It's hardly more accurate, and then I have to scroll around to see the rest of my village.

@MokMonster -- I don't understand. Why would the app be so hard to develop? It's not a challenging app. You're not asking the phone to integrate with all sorts of hardware and port through a bunch of servers to get information - you just have to access an HTML or HTTP page, which is what the browser does anyways.

In essence, all you have to do is access the HTML, parse it, find a way to display it, and send a signal to the Travian servers if you want to upgrade/build/send troops.

Also, there is no monthly payment for an app. You pay once, and that's it.
    Then I'm sure you'll have one out of development any day now...

Picture it this way: you have a 17" computer screen and a 5 1/2"-wide sledgehammer. This is approximately equal to the ratio of a finger (1/2") to the Android screen (2"). The only way you can access something on the screen is to hit it with the sledgehammer. (Assume the screen is made of some really heavy-duty material.
    You shouldn't have bought a second rate phone.

There are a couple of them out there by Apple.
    "And how can this be?!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBHL...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Either that, or he needs to beat your other wings' recruiters and diplomats over the head with a burlap sack full of dead babies. Frozen dead babies, so it hurts more.
    George Carlin on Global Warming:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

.US4 - Subject to Change
    .US9 - Sorcey's Forcey

If you can't use the browser version b/c you can't "click" the right spot with your apparently fat fingers (no offense meant here), what makes you think you can click the right spot on an app version?

What is it you expect the app to look like that the broswer doesn't?
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

lol, no offense taken.
    For one thing, the app would (ideally) be drawn with either very basic graphics or no graphics, which means that the boundaries for the clickable areas could be made visible programatically. It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it would make it a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper316 View Post
    Then I'm sure you'll have one out of development any day now...
    If I had a any experience and/or knowledge for developing for the Android, I would. I know that I could probably do it with Java, but making an app like this for a desktop would be pointless. And if I do make one, I'll be learning the basics as I go along, so it might take me a while.

You shouldn't have bought a second rate phone.
    A Droid? Second-rate? The fact that I don't have accuracy to within a 16th of an inch is completely because of the fatness of my fingers; it just happens to be shared by a lot of people. People say the same about any touchscreen phone. If you can find any touchscreen phone that gives people with fat fingers perfect accuracy, I'll eat my hat. ^^

There are a couple of them out there by Apple.
    A couple of touchscreen phones? I know - I have the iPhone, and that doesn't give perfect accuracy either. I was asking whether you personally used a touchscreen phone to access Travian.

If I had a any experience and/or knowledge for developing for the Android, I would. I know that I could probably do it with Java, but making an app like this for a desktop would be pointless. And if I do make one, I'll be learning the basics as I go along, so it might take me a while.

A Droid? Second-rate? The fact that I don't have accuracy to within a 16th of an inch is completely because of the fatness of my fingers; it just happens to be shared by a lot of people. People say the same about any touchscreen phone. If you can find any touchscreen phone that gives people with fat fingers perfect accuracy, I'll eat my hat. ^^

A couple of touchscreen phones? I know - I have the iPhone, and that doesn't give perfect accuracy either. I was asking whether you personally used a touchscreen phone to access Travian.
    Sorry, I was picking on you a bit, but I didn't mean for it to sound so mean. Anyway, yes I use the 3Gs iPhone and it works like a charm. You can't attack in close waves, but it's a great backup. My wife's computer had a mother board failure last month and I played on the iPhone exclusively for about 10 days.
    "And how can this be?!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBHL...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Either that, or he needs to beat your other wings' recruiters and diplomats over the head with a burlap sack full of dead babies. Frozen dead babies, so it hurts more.
    George Carlin on Global Warming:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

.US4 - Subject to Change
    .US9 - Sorcey's Forcey

Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    Nope.
    There have been suggestions for an app for the droid and the iphone, etc., but the answer is always "no."
    Simple reasons:
    1 - it is a browser game. Even on a computer you have no 'app' so the interface is just the browser.
    2 - the cost to develop an app (let alone 1 app for each phone platform) is prohibitive and there's no actual money to be gained from it. Do you want to pay an extra $5-10/mo to use your phone w/ Travian? Will several thousand other people also do so?
    Mok, the cost to develop the app may be more profitable for them in the long run. The lack of an app maybe a turnoff for some, similar to that of the rally point update, where some threatened to quit. I am not saying that people will go to that extreme, as they may only be catering to a small part of the Travian community. The app would actually not take that long to develop a large amount of the coding has already been made by google. The only thing travian would have to have is someone that knows java (which, by the way, most coders learn first).

Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    If you can't use the browser version b/c you can't "click" the right spot with your apparently fat fingers (no offense meant here), what makes you think you can click the right spot on an app version?

What is it you expect the app to look like that the broswer doesn't?
    The app would be designed to work on the screens size, making villages easier to click on the map, buildings easier to click, and links also easier and not too crowded. Things like that.

Pretty much i see this can be solved in one of three ways:

1. The above mentioned app
    2. Someone creates a graphics pack (this is possible due to the new graphics pack, I plan to do this when I have more free time.)
    3. The development of a mobile webpage. Many websites have dome this, they are fairly effective. These mobile webpages are just reduced to fit in the phones screen.

Travian used to have a mobile app it was java script its all on here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travian

Most manufacturer's actually recommend using the Stylus because the multiple commands given when one's finger hits the screen can also cause damage. You can buy films that will cover the screen on your phone to protect it from scratches from the Stylus.

Also, I no longer have a touchscreen phone but is it possible to download different browsers for them? If you aren't having luck with the Android browser, download a different one. Keep experimenting with different ones (like I did) and you will more than likely find one that is a very suitable backup.
    Last edited by ladygaga; 07-28-2010 at 08:19 PM.

I also have a blackberry pearl and I use the browser bolt. It works great every Travian function works perfectly. Bolt is the only browser I have ever found that works well with travian.

I hate touchscreen phones personally. My hubby has a Blackberry storm that was supposed to be so great but the touch screen is so frustrating I can't stand it.

I'll take my old beat up peal any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    I also have a blackberry pearl and I use the browser bolt. It works great every Travian function works perfectly. Bolt is the only browser I have ever found that works well with travian.

I hate touchscreen phones personally. My hubby has a Blackberry storm that was supposed to be so great but the touch screen is so frustrating I can't stand it.

I'll take my old beat up peal any day.
    I used to have a pearl, my internet broke a lot, but it was very easy to maneuver. I prefer the pearl's keyboard but the touch screen's screen btw.