Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 44

Thread: Gaul Guide

  1. #1

    Default Gaul Guide

    Introduction



    This guide was made for the purpose of producing something useful for those who wish to take the leap and play Gaul. Gaul is definitely the more "defensive" tribe of the three, and in the late game is an extremely powerful force to be reckoned with. That being said, their offensive capabilities are also very good, so no worries there if you wish to be a top player playing Gaul.

    To become successful in Travian (or any game which takes some form of skill, whether it is reflexes, micro, or just plain time-spending on RPGs), you must invest time and be able to access your account multiple times during the day. You need activity to always be able to send out troops, talk to allies, level up fields/buildings, and see if you're being attacked. If you can't do it alone, get a friend to dual with you or get some active sitters. Raiding efficiently is also very important early on. Also, to be a "top player", you may want to invest some money into Gold. You can be fine without Gold too though!

    Before you read the Gaul guide

    Please, try to understand how this game works before you read the rest of the guide. Some aspects of the game will be confusing if you don't, and I am not going to go in detail of simple functions in Travian.

    This thread here has the appropriate links to learn Travian for a beginner:

    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=16989

    Gaul Overview

    Quote Originally Posted by Travian Guide/Manual
    The Gauls are the most peace-loving of all the tribes. Their units are well-trained in defensive tactics, but their offense is lacking in comparison to the other tribes. Gauls are born riders, and their horses are legendary for their speed, allowing them to move quickly and surprise their foes.

    This tribe is relatively easy to defend, but an offensive play style is also quite possible. It offers the possibility to go in every strategic direction (offensive or defensive doctrine, lone wolf or helper in emergencies, infantry- or cavalry-based, settler or conqueror), so anything is doable for a skilled player, but also good for beginners!
    In summary, Gauls are masters of versatility. They can play any role and are very easy to adapt with. You are an invaluable asset to an alliance if you are a good Gaul. Their offense is amazing too as said previously. Swordsmen are up to par in relation to Axemen and Imperians, and Gaulish cavalry is amazing when it comes to damage. The Haeduans and Theutates Thunders (TTs) dish out damage easily, and TTs are the best raiding unit in the game next to Macemen. Of course, the point of their "lacking" in damage/defense (which isn't really true, Gauls are great at both) to other troops is their speed, which is an amazing trade-off. Speed is of utmost importance in times of need. Adapting as a Gaul is very easy to do. You can play defensively and offensively easily. In the Travian manual they state some of the features of playing Gaul, which I will go over in detail:

    Quote Originally Posted by Travian Guide/Manual
    Special Features

    * Speed bonus: Fastest units in the game
    * Moderate defense bonus from the Palisade
    * Merchants can carry 750 resources (speed: 24 fields/hour)
    * Double cranny size (raid protection)
    * Expensive siege weapons
    * Cheap settlers
    Speed bonus: Yes, this is definitely true, and is very important in allied efforts. From the glorious Theutates Thunder (fastest unit in the game and arguably the best raider), to the reliant Druid Rider and Haeduan, Gallic cavalry is extremely valuable. Their two infantry units are normal speed for their Teuton and Roman counterparts. Also it should be noted that the Chief for Gauls moves 1 square faster than that of a Teuton's or Roman's for faster conquering, not that this should matter if you have to escort catapults to knock down the residence every time though.

    Moderate defense bonus from the Palisade: The Gallic Palisade is the middle ground of the Roman City Wall and the Teutonic Earth Wall. What I mean by this is that is is slightly less durable than the Teutonic wall, but still provides more of a defensive bonus (although less than that of a Roman's). It is a terrific wall when leveled up though. Values of each level and its defensive bonus can be seen at this thread:

    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=3119

    Merchants can carry 750 resources (speed: 24 fields/hour): A good Gaul will learn to utilize the marketplace very early on in order to stop warehouse/granary overflow. Once you put your sales onto the market, they will be bought within minutes because of how quickly they can get to people around the map. They are the middle ground for capacity (Roman merchants carry 500, Teutons carry 1000), but are the fastest and are amazing because of this. Low on a resource? Trade off one of excess! It's that simple. And let's not forget feeding your expansion villages. Gauls will easily be able to transport resources from one village to another, providing continuous growth to new expansions.

    Double cranny size (raid protection): Yes, this is a major turn-off for people attacking you early game simply because they will be wasting time getting zero bounty. Gallic crannies hold an astonishing 2000 resources. One level 10 cranny will ensure your safety of resources from Romans and Gauls. And still, 1333 resources protected from Teutons is fine early game since you can easily spend resources in efforts to prevent your enemies from getting anything.

    Expensive siege weapons: By the time it comes for someone to get siege a mere 200 more of a resource per siege unit will not hurt too much. Trebuchets are excellent siege weapons regardless of their cost. They are also more powerful than Teutonic catapults anyways when it comes to demolishing buildings.

    Cheap settlers: True, cheap settlers but when you look at the cost for Teutonic and Roman settlers you begin to wonder if this is a huge advantage or not. It is still expensive to get settlers early on! Besides, later in the game game you have to conquer to stay ahead of the pack, and Chiefs are ridiculous in cost and are the worst of the three races at lowering loyalty!
    Last edited by Stupidus; 06-07-2008 at 01:50 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Troop Overview

    Phalanx

    Speed: 7 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 30 resources
    Upkeep: 1

    Being a simple infantry unit, the Phalanx is relatively cheap and quick to produce.

    His attack power is minimal, but it is in defense that he proves his worth, being effective against infantry as well as cavalry.
    A cheap and effective defender. This is your primary defensive unit. Being able to sustain damage against both cavalry and infantry, they are useful throughout the game. However, they lack attack and should not be used to raid with against those who have units in their villages. Defensively, ever run into a giant wall of Phalanx? It's not pretty what goes down! These things are beasts in large quantities. Anyways, only use Phalanx to raid early game on inactives, as they are of a decent speed and a handful of them can rake in resources over time.

    Swordsman

    Speed: 6 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 45 resources
    Upkeep: 1


    Swordsmen are more expensive than Phalanx, but they are exceptional attack troops.

    As defenders, they are relatively weak, particularly against cavalry.
    Swordsmen are stronger than Axemen, but weaker than Imperians. That is fine, since they are amazing attackers for infantry regardless. These swordsmen will easily use up the iron stores Gauls seem to get (probably through a lot of things costing more clay, and TTs/trebs cost a lot of clay) and are your main escort in clearing waves/catapult waves. I would suggest not getting swordsmen until later on however in your first village, as TTs are much better raiders than swordsmen could ever be.

    Pathfinder

    Speed: 17 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 0 resources
    Upkeep: 2

    The Pathfinder is the Gallic scout. He is extremely fast and able to spy on the enemy's units as well as resources or defenses.

    If there are no scouts in the scouted village, their visit will be unnoticed.
    The Pathfinder is pretty self-explanatory; they are the scouts for Gauls. You should always have scouts in all of your villages (in oases too if you're paranoid) to see when you have been sought at for a possible attack on you. Also Pathfinders are fast for quick reconnaissance on your foes. However, at a cost of 2 crop per hour, you should always see how many you actually need because instead of a Pathfinder you could be housing other troops.

    Theutates Thunder

    Speed: 19 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 75 resources
    Upkeep: 2


    The Thunders are the fastest units, with both a powerful attack and an excellent resource carrying capacity.

    As defenders, they are mediocre at best.
    The TT is an amazing unit and is my personal favourite because of the speed. I am very impatient in Travian and these TTs combined with my Tournament Squares provides me a very open area for targets all over the map. They do very nice damage too and carry a lot of resources, allowing them to be the most notorious of raiders. As a Gaul, try to get these A.S.A.P. If you are lucky, you are now open to a whole new set of targets from your racial counterparts. You can now easily wipe out Macemen from cocky Teutons who still haven't gotten Spearmen, and can take out Praetorians from Romans going into the defensive and also take on Swordsmen and Imperians with ease. A TT hero early on will allow you to clear many players of troops if you keep it alive, and can allow you to become a superpower in your area if you can get some good hits off. However, early game these things are EXPENSIVE! Watch how you spend these things and ensure they don't die.

    Druidriders

    Speed: 16 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 35 resources
    Upkeep: 2

    This medium cavalry unit is outfitted for defense. The main purpose of the Druidrider is definitely defense against infantry. His costs and upkeep are relatively expensive, however.
    The Druidrider (DR, Dr) is amazing in times of need. They can quickly travel the map to aide others. With a great defense against infantry, the DR is a crowd-pleaser to those who need defensive troops in times of need.

    Haeduans

    Speed: 13 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 65 resources
    Upkeep: 3

    Haeduans are the ultimate weapons in attacking and defense against cavalry. Hardly anyone can rival them in these areas.

    Haeduans' training and equipment is particularly expensive, and at 3 units of wheat/hour, one must always ask himself whether he is prepared to accept these costs.
    Haeduans are amazing in two aspects; their high attack damage and defense against cavalry. You will not generally defend against cavalry with these, what a waste of a good offensive unit! Haeduans are your primary clearing cavalry unit along with swordsmen.

    Battering Ram

    Speed: 4 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 0 resources
    Upkeep: 3


    The Battering Ram is a siege weapon used to support the infantry and cavalry. Its role is to destroy the enemy's wall and make the battle easier for the attackers.

    Without defense itself, it does require an escort to be effective.
    The Gaul Battering Ram, like it's racial counterparts, is used to take down walls. It is best used in your clearing wave because its effects on the wall are calculated before the battle (wall level goes down before damage/defense is calculated) starts. Always use rams, why wouldn't you? They save troops! It hurts me when I see no rams in a losing battle.

    Trebuchets

    Speed: 3 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 0 resources
    Upkeep: 6

    The Trebuchet is an excellent siege weapon to use to destroy buildings and resource fields. It is almost defenseless by itself, however, so an escort should always be sent with it.

    The higher the Rally Point's level - and as a result, the better trained the Trebuchet's crew - the more options are available for targetting. At level 10 of the Rally Point, every building except the Cranny can be targetted.
    The standard version of Catapults for Gauls. "Expensive" in comparison to Catapults and Fire Catapults. It should be noted that the Trebuchet is also a more powerful weapon when demolishing buildings than Teutonic catapults though. Here is a table showing how many Trebs are required to knock down a level of a field/building:

    http://travianwiki.uni.cc/index.php/Trebuchet

    Chief

    Speed: 5 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 0 resources
    Upkeep: 4


    Every clan has an honored elder and experienced fighter used to persuade the inhabitants of other villages to join his clan.

    Every time he speaks to the inhabitants of a village, their loyalty is lowered until they eventually join your nation.
    The fastest of the conquering units, the Chief is also not as effective when it comes to lowering loyalty compared to Teutonic Chieftains. It is also a whopping 45K+ clay to train. On the bright side, the Gaul chief moves at 5 squares/hour instead of 4 like its racial counterparts. This is vital when time is of the essence; most players losing a village are either always trying to rebuild their residence to prevent conquering, or deleting. If they are deleting, the time it takes in between conquer trips is important! That being said, if someone is active they will most likely build up the residence every time and if you're escorting that chief, you will need cats to clear the residence and speed won't matter now will it?

    Settler

    5 fields/hour
    Carrying capacity: 3000 resources
    Upkeep: 1


    Settlers are courageous and daring citizens of your village, trained to found a new village in your honor.

    Because the founding of a village is particularly difficult, three Settlers are necessary. Additionally, they need 750 units of each resource.
    Standard settler like the Roman and Teutonic ones. Not much to explain here.

    Primary army for a Gaul player:


    Early on: Phalanx to raid->TTs and scouts.
    Later on: Mass TTs to raid and scouts.

    Eventually in your cropper/capital:

    Mix of Swordsmen, Haeduans, Rams, Trebs. TTs are sometimes used for raiding as well in the cropper or put in place of Haeduans to use for clearing (or mixed in with them), but attack power really counts and although TTs are only slightly worse, most Gauls will take the Haeduans.

    Defensively, well all races can make defensive units on their own in supply villages. Just mass Phalanx as your prime defensive unit. The other for you is the Druid Rider, which does do more defense than Phalanx for infantry, but it doesn't fare as well versus cavalry. A mix of both of these units is ideal.
    Last edited by Stupidus; 06-07-2008 at 01:53 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    A New Gaul Village

    Okay, so you've read so far and understood the concepts and functions of all the Gaul units you can make and now it's time to create a new account. Let's see what a typical 7x7 centered around this iron oasis is like:



    You are bordered in blue in the center, those bordered in black are active players. The others are inactive players/farms. What you need to try to do is become the dominant player of your 7x7. You can try to make friends with some of your neighbours, but with others you need to farm them as well. As a Gaul player I see two things you can do early on; start leveling fields and a cranny and relax with production and then eventually make troops, or take a risk and try and make military right away and start raiding.

    If you lose those Phalanx early on though, you're in trouble so be careful and start raiding inactives only. Go into negative wheat if you have to. Get about 40 of them and then start doing whatever, whether it's teching to TTs or just starting to build your economy. After a week or so of successful raids and production and maybe some small parties, you will find yourself looking for a second village. Your second village can be a 15-cropper, even though that is most commonly the Teuton route.

    The idealistic, perfect 15-cropper is of course 3 50% wheat oases in the 15-c's 7x7 with some other oases nearby, but these are very rare and would take some time to find, even with a cropfinder (which is illegal by the way!). Unless you're worried a 9 or 15-c is going to be taken by someone else, try to just get a normal 6-cropper as your second village. A 15-c requires at least 2-3 villages of resources being pushed to it for optimal growth unless you use Gold and use the NPC merchant and/or raid like a maniac. If you think you will not be a heavy raider, make sure your 6-c's have level 10 fields and their 25% bonus buildings. Patience is key for Romans and Gauls when it comes to raking in resources. Most players will have their villages all relatively close by, forming their "cluster" of villages, as seen in the screenshot below. This allows for quick resource feeding and provides a huge bay of army close together.



    Troop-wise, growth is very important. From Phalanx, try to get TTs ASAP. A TT hero is key to start wiping the floor of Teutons. You can start killing them off effortlessly even if they have some spearmen.


    Gallic Techniques

    Gauls have many things they can do in order to excel in Travian. One of the best early game is of course the Trapper...

    Trapper

    As you should know already, the trapper is a great tool early game, although it loses its novelty later on. If people raid or attack a Gaul with traps, and the traps outnumber the units attacking, they become trapped. If the attacker chooses to hit you AGAIN, you can do a little trick here to make them more angry. As soon as you see another attack coming in, release his current trapped troops and train more traps. This way he has more of his troops trapped and you can attack his base with units if your troops are faster (best option here is with TTs) or follow his troops home from the trapper and kill them. Leveling up the trapper becomes overkill after level 9 or so. Sure, you can upgrade it more, but it's best to just rely on your cranny, as you're burning resources on training traps. Later on, taking 200 units out from a 4K+ units army isn't going to do much.

    Theutates Thunder Raiding

    With a level 10+ tournament square, you are open to a lot of the Travian map to attack. Feel free to send many TTs around farming people far away, even if they aren't anywhere near your territory. Also scout Teutons for macemen. Even if they have some spearmen, TTs easily wipe them out. This gives amazing hero xp early on.

    Overnight Raids

    What you do is find a spot ~5-6 hours away from you (on a 1-way trip, so 10-12 hours total) and raid them overnight. This way while you aren't on Travian and someone attacks you, your army isn't there to get beaten on, thus allowing your troops to fight another day. This is applicable to every race.

    Dodging

    Dodging and choosing your battles is very important; do not lose troops for no reason! If you see an incoming attack during the early-game of Travian, send your troops out for a bit. The other thing to do if you want to have control of your troops right away again (e.g. dodging a clearing wave and fighting catapult waves) is to send your troops out and time it to cancel and return the second certain attacks come in.

    Hero Choice

    I see this type of question a lot on the forums so I will try to explain what you should try to think of for a Gaul hero. I would say to just avoid even bothering to get a hero until you can at least get a TT one, let alone a Haeduan. Most Gauls get Haeduans since speed isn't really an important factor when it comes to clearing waves, and they are stronger attack-wise. However, other Gauls will choose a TT hero because of its speed. Having a TT hero when your villages are spread apart is a great thing for transportation. Attack damage won't matter late-game as much, but early on it saves troops. This should be your general skill/stat point build unless you are going to just farm oases/macemen for experience:

    ~15 points into attack, just so you can have a little attack early on with your army/solo troops
    ~5-10 points into regeneration.
    -Rest of your points go into offensive bonus. You greatly improve the attack output of your army by investing points into this. Combined with the Plus attack increase and Blacksmith upgrades, your army is dishing out serious damage. The rest will go into defensive bonus.

    Note: At level one, you can still change you skill points around. You can "abuse" this in a sense in order to change your hero stats as you wish. The generic example is swapping your 5 points to "Attack" when you are attacking, and then after the battle you would just put your points into regeneration.

    I myself would not choose a defensive hero, but it is an available option if you wish to go on a defensive path. In my opinion, I would say to go with a DR instead of a Haeduan since you will run into more infantry always than cavalry, but the choice is yours. Both are great when it comes to defense. The same sort of build would be used as an offensive one except you would probably have to adjust the points around a bit (i.e. getting defense points, defensive bonus, maybe a bit more regeneration).
    Last edited by Stupidus; 06-07-2008 at 02:22 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Trading/Merchants Credits to Nohbdy on this section.

    The Gallic Merchant is the fastest of them all, allowing your sales to appear near the top of the list and giving you extra advertisement to people who do not have he time to look for better trades as well as to people who need resources fast.

    The extra advantage makes Gauls the ideal salesmen on the market, especially early on when most trades are in only a few hundreds and all that matters is speed. Here put in your best thinking and buy low and sell high for profit as well as simply sell to get a better balance of resources for what you are doing. Because your resource needs vary (TT need clay but swords need iron), having a good market lets you get this balance flexible as needed.

    As the game progresses, merchant capacity matters more and speed is not everything. Most people will look for trades that make best use of their merchants as well as their resources and time. Remember that Teutons trade in 1000, Gauls in 750, and romans in 500. Also Teutons are the most common buyers of wheat, Gauls of clay, and Romans are the buyers of iron. With this, you can try to keep the amounts you want when you sell wood and wheat in multiples of close to 1000, clay in close to 750's, and iron in close to 500's. When the game reaches the point where people are trading in 3000, this becomes a lesser issue that almost disappears when people make trade offices.

    Catapults/Farm conversion/Conquering

    This is a very simple outtake on converting players into farms.

    I made a video on how I do it here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6xA1KONZvo

    1) The clearing wave. This will consist of your hero, many swordsmen, and your TTs/Haeduans. Accompany this wave with your rams and 1 trebuchet to make it go as slow as your catapult waves hitting after this wave. You SHOULD have wiped out all of the player's troops now, because if you haven't your next waves are going to be introduced to a world of pain...

    2a) Catapult waves. Escort these with some swordsmen (50+ is a reasonable amount). In order to turn someone into a farm, target the following buildings:
    -Granary
    -Flour Mill
    -Bakery
    -Wheat Fields
    -Main Building
    -Marketplace

    This should send the village into negative wheat real soon. You have just made a farm, and now he cannot demolish his stuff to get back into positive wheat.

    2b) If you choose to conquer, send catapults in with your chieftain or clearing wave and destroy the residence. The loyalty will lower and you will begin assimilating the village to your side. Advanced Travian players will have multiple chiefs on standby. What they would do is synchronize their chiefs from multiple villages to hit in the relatively same time and this will allow a village's loyalty to drop within a small period of time and be conquered a lot faster. This is especially useful if you know the player you are attacking is deleting or going to attempt to rebuild the residence. If you have allies nearby too with administrators, they can also aide in lowering the loyalty.

    Late Game

    In the late game, assuming you make it this far, you will control 15+ villages easily. Expect lvl 18+ fields in your capital, and thousands of troops. Have level 20 blacksmith upgrades on your offensive troops, and plenty of catapults too. Prepare to dominate as you become a force to be reckoned with. You will be able to aide allies across the map, and travel all over for dominance. If you are continuously getting stronger and getting a higher population, you will near the top rankings on your server, which should even out from just dominating Teutons to a mix of all three races, as Gauls and Romans have excelled and become good players as well. All then to do is prepare for the Natars arrival.
    Last edited by Stupidus; 04-22-2008 at 10:18 PM.

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    I'm speachless, luckily i speach and typing are different things.

    90% of teens today would die if Myspace was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    This is the embodiment of awesomeness

  8. #8
    Tradesperson cmdr31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Great job this helped me alot because i'm starting a gaul acount.
    Xbox live Gamer Tag: cmdr31op.

    Steam ID: cmdr31

    Send me a friend request on Steam or Xbox Live if you want to play with me.

  9. #9
    Farmhand Eisai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Late in posting as I just read the guide. WOW, I'm impressed... finally.
    A job very well done. Thank you.

  10. #10
    Villager Johnny002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in travian
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Thx For The Guide!
    "Yea, its a secret under-ground tunnel, so what! Wanna fight about it!!"

    As Bill Cosby would say
    THEO, ya see.

    I`m a Gaul!!!

    check out my minicity
    johnny-p

  11. #11
    Artisan belwasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Coast - U.S.A.
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Thank you very much for thise guide. Very insightful with a lot of great tips. Every new gaul player should read this. Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zingoleb
    Nargle nargle FLOOOOOF gurpoppa de doodle de DOOFLE MARK GET YOUR REAR IN HERE I rarfum, I rarf 'em good! HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Angel
    "The police came and took my picture and told me I was banned from America forever. I don't really care but my parents aren't very happy."

  12. #12
    Philosopher Mr.Hero17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northrend
    Posts
    4,090

    Default

    Late comment but when I started on S4 I used this guide since I had never played guals. Now I'm in the top 18000 and have 3 villages and I started 2 months late.

  13. #13

    Default

    Great work. I'll be passing it along to my friend who just started playing. I got sick of answering his questions lol. I did notice one thing in this paragraph though...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidus View Post
    Moderate defense bonus from the Palisade: The Gallic Palisade is the middle ground of the Roman City Wall and the Teutonic Earth Wall. What I mean by this is that is is slightly less durable than the Teutonic wall, but still provides more of a defensive bonus (although less than that of a Roman's). It is a terrific wall when leveled up though.
    I almost thought you made a mistake, but I think I get what you were trying to say. By durability you meant that the palisade is easier to take down with rams than an earth wall is. The first time I read it, it seemed like you said the palisade provided less defense than the earth wall, which was not true. I read through the guide and don't remember you saying anything about the different durabilities of the walls. If you did mean what I think you mean, is it possible to rephrase this to make it more understandable for new players. Maybe something like this?:

    The Gallic Palisade is the middle ground of the Roman City Wall and the Teutonic Earth Wall. What I mean by this is that it provides slightly more defense than the Teutonic Earth Wall and slightly less defense than the Roman City Wall. When being attacked by rams, the Palisade is knocked down more easily than the Teutonic Earth Wall, but less easily than the Roman City Wall. No matter what, it's a terrific wall once leveled up.

    An alternative suggestion would be to say all of that, but replace the second to last sentence with: "When being attacked by rams, the Palisade is more durable to attacks than the Roman City Wall, but less durable to attacks than the Teutonic Earth Wall."

    You switched from saying Gaulish to Gallic partway through the first post. I believe Gallic is the proper term. I don't really mind, but I figured I'd point it out since I was trying to offer a little constructive criticism.

    If I am entirely mistaken, please let me know. Overall, I give it 8 thumbs up
    Nichts--><--Me

  14. #14

    Default Wow!?!?!?!

    Thanks is helped Me!! A LOT!!
    ~KingBurg (Gauls Rule)
    If you wan't My resources you'll have to look in every nook & CRANNY!!

  15. #15

    Talking

    thank you guys for all the useful information.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1

    Default

    good job dude
    I don't like you so dont bother

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mark View Post
    Great work. I'll be passing it along to my friend who just started playing. I got sick of answering his questions lol. I did notice one thing in this paragraph though...



    I almost thought you made a mistake, but I think I get what you were trying to say. By durability you meant that the palisade is easier to take down with rams than an earth wall is. The first time I read it, it seemed like you said the palisade provided less defense than the earth wall, which was not true. I read through the guide and don't remember you saying anything about the different durabilities of the walls. If you did mean what I think you mean, is it possible to rephrase this to make it more understandable for new players. Maybe something like this?:

    The Gallic Palisade is the middle ground of the Roman City Wall and the Teutonic Earth Wall. What I mean by this is that it provides slightly more defense than the Teutonic Earth Wall and slightly less defense than the Roman City Wall. When being attacked by rams, the Palisade is knocked down more easily than the Teutonic Earth Wall, but less easily than the Roman City Wall. No matter what, it's a terrific wall once leveled up.

    An alternative suggestion would be to say all of that, but replace the second to last sentence with: "When being attacked by rams, the Palisade is more durable to attacks than the Roman City Wall, but less durable to attacks than the Teutonic Earth Wall."

    You switched from saying Gaulish to Gallic partway through the first post. I believe Gallic is the proper term. I don't really mind, but I figured I'd point it out since I was trying to offer a little constructive criticism.

    If I am entirely mistaken, please let me know. Overall, I give it 8 thumbs up
    Yes Gallic is the right term but I made the guide in pieces and switched around a lot. I need to edit this anyways.

  18. #18

    Default

    nice guide
    YOUR MOM!!!!!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidus View Post
    The other for you is the Druid Rider, which does do more defense than Phalanx for infantry, but it doesn't fare as well versus cavalry.
    I think this should be reworded because of a bit of a technicality: Thing is, Druidriders have more cavalry defense than Phalanx (phalanx have 50 cav defense, riders have 55). So saying that they "don't fare as well versus cavalry" isn't really accurate.

    If you're talking about resource management, yes, the more expensive cost of the 'riders make them less practical for cavalry defense, but fact is that strictly statistics-wise the 'riders ARE better at cav defense.

    That is all that stuck out to me, and it's really just a minor thing. Other than that, great guide for the beginner Gaul players.

  20. #20

    Thumbs up amazing

    very very good guide!!


    I have spoken

  21. #21
    Tradesperson doomsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeroesForGhosts View Post
    I think this should be reworded because of a bit of a technicality: Thing is, Druidriders have more cavalry defense than Phalanx (phalanx have 50 cav defense, riders have 55). So saying that they "don't fare as well versus cavalry" isn't really accurate.

    If you're talking about resource management, yes, the more expensive cost of the 'riders make them less practical for cavalry defense, but fact is that strictly statistics-wise the 'riders ARE better at cav defense.

    That is all that stuck out to me, and it's really just a minor thing. Other than that, great guide for the beginner Gaul players.
    resource management is everything, and druidriders suck at defending against cav
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy8315 View Post
    ok hey ipwn can you stop attacking me
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
    No, I like your resources too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by conquerer7 View Post
    ...I'm a terrible player though.
    I am Tamorand in US6/USX

  22. #22

    Red face

    OK, seeing as how I'm gonna have to delete my Teut because he's on speed and I started out with the Teut guide for regular, not realizing that the Speed guide is MUCH different (thanks to the speed guide author noting that the strategies are definitely different, I would have been one unhappy camper at the end of day 3 ), I'm wondering if this guide is applicable for *both* speed and a regular server since I can't find a Gaul guide specific to Speed and I found this link within the Teuton-Speed guide? My wife has an account on Speed that is in the Teuton tribe, is the reason I am asking, yes I am aware that a single human can not have two accounts on the same server

    TIA for any help

  23. #23

    Default

    I need to point out something there.

    Catapults, Fire catapults , Treb ALL have the SAME effect when demolishing buildings. You can confirm it with admins or support.

  24. #24
    Tradesperson RamboX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Nice guide I truly enjoyed it!
    S3:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jewett View Post
    Hey Rambo, great analysis. Great Job!
    For any negative comments, just consider the source! You're doing a good job. Keep it up!

    ~J

  25. #25
    Villager super_jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    59

    Default

    thanks, this helps alot in my sever 5 gauls.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrswa View Post
    My wife and kids say addiction to an internet game isn't possible! At least thats what they said the last time I saw them!!


    Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
    So, are you going to give me your phone number, or am I going to have to stalk you?

  26. #26
    Farmhand
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    11

    Cool

    thanks for the guide

  27. #27
    Guest User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation
    Unconfirmed E-mail

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    16

    Thumbs up Great guide

    Great guide!

  28. #28

    Default

    Great job pointing out the good parts of Gual life, but i think you could have been more realistic.

    TTs are great raiders, as you said arguably the best in the game, but you repeatedly said they have a very good attack punch, which is just plain wrong. Cavalry in general are very weak attackers for their costs, the TT is no different. As with any cavalry, excercise caution when attacking if infantry are not being brought with. A TT needs to live for 14 full capacity raids to pay for itself, this isn't as easy as it sounds. Your opponent only needs 2 Legos/Spears/Phalanx (combined with wall and residence) for every TT you have to give you a crushing defeat, and even if they have a 1:1 ratio of defenders to TTs you will take a hefty net loss.

    You also advocated use of the trapper, which is one of the most common pitfalls of bad Gual players. Trappers only encourage aggressive players to attack you more. The double size cranny is a far better purchase than the trapper, and strongly discourages repeated raiding.

    Gual merchants being fast is great if you are selling, because your products appear on more buyer screens. However, they suck atthe same time, because the slow Roman and Teuton merchants that are bringing you your half of the deal are still slow. Your trading partner gets his stuff fast, you don't. For transporting between your own cities (which is the most common use of merchants) Teutons are far far better because of the higher capacity. This is compounded by the Trade Office which increases capacity by a percentage of the starting value. Perhaps if the Tourney Square affected merchants the Guals would have a leg to stand on in comparison. But it doesn't. Gual merchants are better than Roman, by far, but they are not a strong point for being a Gual.

    Also, you downplayed the cost of Gual Trebuchets. The weakest catapults and also the most most expensive, the hundreds of resources lost on each catapult will quickly add up. Even new players can easily field a couple thousand cats between a few cities over the course of the round. That adds up to hundreds of thousands of lost resources. Not to mention that cats are universally used to fake attack, meaning that the Gual is forced to throw away those extra 400 resources (compared to a Teuton) hundreds of times in order to disguise their real attacks, over the course of the server. The first few catapults are also the ones that matter the most, and spending an extra 4k resources to buy ten of them is not something that should be ignored.

    I liked your guide, i liked the effort, but i think it candy coated some of the less appealing aspects of Gual life, and the point of a guide is should be to instruct, and must be careful not to mislead.
    The story thus far:
    Torem of TalonR, USX1 - Pop 109th, Attackers 13th (Week 6 - Server End)
    Torem of VN, USX2 - Pop 24th, Attackers 9th (Full Round)
    Torem of BFP, USX3 - Pop 13th, Attackers 12th (Full Round)
    EmoTorem of VN, USX4 - Pop 11th, Attackers 17th (At deletion, 61 days into server)
    Karma of Fate, USX5 - Pop 4th, Attackers 2nd, Defenders 1st (Week 1-11)
    Dr Doom, NLX5 - Pop 8th, Attackers 2nd (Week 4-12)
    Phenomenon of Pringles, USX6 - Pop 4th, Attackers 7th (Week 1-4)
    Genocide, USX6 - Pop 17th, Attackers 6th (Week 5 - Server End)

  29. #29

    Default

    Very informative! Thank you!

  30. #30

    Default

    What Torem said is true, I guess, but I think it was a pretty decent guide. I'm more into the huggling sort of lifestyle myself, but I'll keep some of the stuff you wrote in mind.

  31. #31
    Consul Wren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    So Chi you thought I was bashful
    Posts
    7,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Torem View Post
    Gual merchants being fast is great if you are selling, because your products appear on more buyer screens. However, they suck at the same time, because the slow Roman and Teuton merchants that are bringing you your half of the deal are still slow. Your trading partner gets his stuff fast, you don't. For transporting between your own cities (which is the most common use of merchants) Teutons are far far better because of the higher capacity. This is compounded by the Trade Office which increases capacity by a percentage of the starting value. Perhaps if the Tourney Square affected merchants the Guals would have a leg to stand on in comparison. But it doesn't. Gual merchants are better than Roman, by far, but they are not a strong point for being a Gual.
    I disagree pretty much the whole way here.

    Gauls are better for marketplace transfers because they can make more in the same time span. If you're selling, your merchants will be back fast, allowing for you to list more trades. If you're buying, the same principle applies.

    For moving between your own villages, the gauls are fast enough that they carry more resources per hour than the other two tribes. Let's normalize to teuton speed:
    Romans: 750 resources
    Teutons: 1000 resources
    Gauls: 1500 resources

    Gaul merchants are better than both other races, by far.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU


  32. #32

    Default Great Guide.

    Thank you!

  33. #33
    Tradesperson
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Can you do a Roman Guide?
    Thanks

  34. #34
    Tradesperson
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I disagree pretty much the whole way here.

    Gauls are better for marketplace transfers because they can make more in the same time span. If you're selling, your merchants will be back fast, allowing for you to list more trades. If you're buying, the same principle applies.

    For moving between your own villages, the gauls are fast enough that they carry more resources per hour than the other two tribes. Let's normalize to teuton speed:
    Romans: 750 resources
    Teutons: 1000 resources
    Gauls: 1500 resources

    Gaul merchants are better than both other races, by far.
    Nah, Roman's better.
    Thanks

  35. #35
    Consul Wren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    So Chi you thought I was bashful
    Posts
    7,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hohenheim of Light View Post
    Nah, Roman's better.
    well-supported point
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU


  36. #36
    Villager Drummit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    at the keyboard
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hohenheim of Light View Post
    Nah, Roman's better.
    I have to disagree. Having done both (at least a little Roman now), Gaul merchants are definitely better. Even if the trade office upgrade is better for Romans - I never built a Trade office in every village when playing Gaul - no need. You can spread out your villages and still send out 15K of resources quickly between them with only a lvl 20 marketplace. And you can make guicker trades as a Gaul because yours show up higher on the list because of the reduced travel time.
    KISSRolled ROFL, everytime...(You Tube)

    [3:01:05 PM] Hej: RK has never attacked anybody ever
    [3:01:17 PM] thx.alex: RK's a BREW farm
    [9:14:49 PM] CryoStyle: im my own special club
    s6r1: lol...
    s2r3: BREW
    s4r3: DED(retired)

  37. #37
    Philosopher Someoneelse2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burma!!!!!! I panicked. :(
    Posts
    1,794

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Hohenheim of Light View Post
    Nah, Roman's better.
    I assume this is sarcasm, since no one in their right mind would call Roman merchants better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palefreyman View Post
    Now that you're using words, I understand why you used pictures...
    Be back in August!

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drummit View Post
    I have to disagree. Having done both (at least a little Roman now), Gaul merchants are definitely better. Even if the trade office upgrade is better for Romans - I never built a Trade office in every village when playing Gaul - no need. You can spread out your villages and still send out 15K of resources quickly between them with only a lvl 20 marketplace. And you can make guicker trades as a Gaul because yours show up higher on the list because of the reduced travel time.
    Actually, since the Gaul merchants have so much speed, the Trade Office actually improves them better than even Romans in terms of resources per field per hour. They have 75% the carrying capacity increase (75 vs 100), but they have 150% the speed, so their total increase in resources per field per hour (Compared to Romans) is 112.5%

  39. #39
    Villager Drummit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    at the keyboard
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Channingman View Post
    Actually, since the Gaul merchants have so much speed, the Trade Office actually improves them better than even Romans in terms of resources per field per hour. They have 75% the carrying capacity increase (75 vs 100), but they have 150% the speed, so their total increase in resources per field per hour (Compared to Romans) is 112.5%
    I agree with you,i just don't use the building spot to build a trade office in every village if I'm playing gaul, and for Roman merchants to be "better" as the previous poster thinks, he'd need a trade office in every village.

    (edit: sorry - I just re-read you. You're right, even with the trade office the roman merchants aren't as good)
    Last edited by Drummit; 01-03-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    KISSRolled ROFL, everytime...(You Tube)

    [3:01:05 PM] Hej: RK has never attacked anybody ever
    [3:01:17 PM] thx.alex: RK's a BREW farm
    [9:14:49 PM] CryoStyle: im my own special club
    s6r1: lol...
    s2r3: BREW
    s4r3: DED(retired)

  40. #40

    Default

    thank you SO much! this helped me out lots!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •