Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Hero Selection

Default Guide to Hero Selection

Wren's Guide to Picking Heroes

Step one: read conquerer7's post for the good introductory data.

When it comes to choosing a hero, there are a number of factors to consider. If you pick a hero that doesn't match your play style, it can set you back pretty significantly in both time and resources. However, the choice is reversible. You can have 3 heroes (one alive, two dead) at any time. Plus, when you've really screwed up, you can delete a hero. Until level one, you can even reorder your hero's points.

For all players: 'Balanced' heroes are never a good idea. Trying to build a hero that is both offensive and defensive at the same time is to build a hero that's bad at both.

I'm a casual player, and I'm only involved in battles every once in a while, what should I look for?
    For players that don't plan to either build up armies that number thousands or kill enough enemies to take a hero up to high levels, the individual statistics may be the best. So, offensive players should pick an offensive unit and level up its attack and defensive players should pick a strong defender and level it up.

Speed is a great bonus, but phalanx and imperian heroes have been used effectively. The cav heroes, while much faster, do cost more to revive.

I'm a superstar, and I want to make sure that my hero is up to par, what do I need to worry about?
    Speed is the most important factor, period. Second most important is to use the def-bonus and off-bonus, as even 2-5% of a standard big army is way more than even 100 points to a hero's individual statistics.

Factors to think about:
    Individual stats - Frankly, they don't matter at all. You will use the % bonuses and they're way more important than that other stuff.

Revival cost - A good thing to keep in mind with regards to the other picks. A high level, high cost hero is awful to revive. Some players will pick the most basic unit because of this. In combination with the first factor, you have a strong argument for a mace hero.

Speed - The killer. Use the fastest hero you have. You will get enough hero experience to give yourself serious % bonuses, so the hero's individual stats don't matter at all. Speed ensures quick transfers between villages, faster oasis capture, and quicker hero only attacks. A more subtle concern is movement speed. Timing is important in this game, and as long as your hero is top speed, you will be able to rein or raid with any speed in your army, and still include your hero.

I am certain that the faster hero is the best hero. EI, TT, Pally
    Conveniently, they are also the cheaper cav units of each race.
    Last edited by Wren; 04-14-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: clarity of advice and text
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I agree with this totally and I think this could be a 2 sentence guide as to how to pick a hero.
    If you are reading this my post is already over, move along.

Seems to be overwritten. You could get all of this information in just a few sentences. It has some good info though.

I think you should also mention that costly heroes also take more time to revive, and time is more important than resources come late midgame.

Otherwise, I think this is a very good guide when used in conjunction with C7's.
    Past servers:
    thereter of Flock from UK server 1 Round 3 and thereter/Pond of thAC0/QoD from US server 3, Round 2
    thereter of Flock usx round 8: Part of the hits on Hydro: My first and last endgame hammer.
    4655 @ 1000JAN11 EST

Can you send an attack to take out troops with only your hero? I know if you send just one troop they will die to just basic defenses, but is a hero fine when sent alone? Or should you always have something with him?

Quote Originally Posted by ewalk View Post
    Can you send an attack to take out troops with only your hero? I know if you send just one troop they will die to just basic defenses, but is a hero fine when sent alone? Or should you always have something with him?
    Single troops die because they have insufficient attack power versus the village's innate defense rating. A hero with points in personal Offense would not have this problem, at least against an undefended village. If there are defenders, it naturally comes down to hero's offense vs defenders' defense (plus the village) as you would expect.

Can you have more then one hero?
    Long Term Disability = Lots Of Trav Time!!

Quote Originally Posted by stb71 View Post
    Can you have more then one hero?
    Only one hero can be alive at a time. But you can have up to 3 dead heroes at a time before you have to delete one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff54321 View Post
    Only one hero can be alive at a time. But you can have up to 3 dead heroes at a time before you have to delete one.
    It's three total heroes, so you can have one active plus two inactive.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU

It's three total heroes, so you can have one active plus two inactive.
    Sorry that's what I meant but it didn't come out correctly. Thanks

Exclamation

My offensive phalanx isn't doing good.It has participated in numerous battles but,it is still level one.HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SAURON View Post
    My offensive phalanx isn't doing good.It has participated in numerous battles but,it is still level one.HELP !!!!!!!!!!
    rack up the kills, you'll need 200 for level 2
    Retired.

He has the right to defend himself against you he obviosly like any other farm want to continue to be attacked. But you should be suprised not mad either make a deal or woo him. But yes your taking it a little too seriously

Individual stats - Frankly, they don't matter at all. You will use the % bonuses and they're way more important than that other stuff.

Speed - The killer. Use the fastest hero you have. You will get enough hero experience to give yourself serious % bonuses, so the hero's individual stats don't matter at all. Speed ensures quick transfers between villages, faster oasis capture, and quicker hero only attacks. A more subtle concern is movement speed. Timing is important in this game, and as long as your hero is top speed, you will be able to rein or raid with any speed in your army, and still include your hero.

I'd say this is the heart of the discussion.

I would say in the early game it can be worth it to stick a few points in individual stats if you find yourself in conflicts with somewhat evenly matched neighbors. An extra couple hundred points of offense or defense can be useful when total troop counts are only in the low hundreds.

Might be worth adding something on stat points in regeneration... I'm really not sure what is optimal there. 1 point regen per 5 in off or def %?

Philosopher

While the guide is helpful, most of it is common sense, and the other part is way overwritten. Overall I would give it a 3 out of 5. You could add some more stuff about the actual usage of heroes. Like using them to take an oasis. Also, you could add something about transferring the hero from village to village so you can send with different armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    Women, on the other hand, are dressed and ready to go in 15 minutes flat. They have two pairs of pants max, which makes any decision making a breeze - "I wore this pair last time, so I'll wear the other pair today. But the tie I wore last time is fine.... just need to get a few crinkles out."

Villager

I'm a little stunned about some of these replies regarding the guide being "overwritten". Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure what someone means when they use that term.

To me, basic guides are not something that should be written with the veteran in mind. Sure, long time players may pick up something every now and then through research, but normally these things should be written with the relatively inexperienced player in mind.

Personally, I want my basic guides fairly wordy, frankly. Give me details, and let me decide what is useful and what isn't.

I would prefer a more detailed explanation of each option broken down, categorically.

The first place I would point to, is this page:

http://help.travian.us/index.php?type=faq&mod=450

(notice the costs of resurrection --- per the discussion on this thread --- as the levels go up!)

To me, the original post could go into more detail versus the advantages and disadvantages of each category. I do appreciate the idea of likely specializing in one, as opposed to being a jack of all trades.

One thing that isn't pointed out, is that the attack % hero would seem the more efficient at leveling up, simply because as he's gaining experience, he in turn makes the group around him better at killing opposing units.

I like the comment in the thread regarding offensive stats being helpful in the early going, before everyone has huge armies, as opposed to the more endgame helpful offensive %.

I would also like to see some comments regarding what players should do to maximize their hero, both in leveling him up, and also in protecting him from harm. What kind of battles should they engage in, and what kind of battles should they evade? Also, under what circumstances would a player use a hero as a reinforcement for an alliance member/teammate?

Should there be any special comments regarding heroes and Gallic traps?

As someone brand new to the game (3 days now) I'm looking for as much information as possible on all aspects. This seems like a good start on the subject of heroes, but instead of being "overwritten" --- which again, I'm not entirely sure what that means --- I'd say it still needs a great deal of fleshing out, at least from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by r:kidd View Post
    I would also like to see some comments regarding what players should do to maximize their hero, both in leveling him up, and also in protecting him from harm. What kind of battles should they engage in, and what kind of battles should they evade? Also, under what circumstances would a player use a hero as a reinforcement for an alliance member/teammate?

Should there be any special comments regarding heroes and Gallic traps?

As someone brand new to the game (3 days now) I'm looking for as much information as possible on all aspects. This seems like a good start on the subject of heroes, but instead of being "overwritten" --- which again, I'm not entirely sure what that means --- I'd say it still needs a great deal of fleshing out, at least from my perspective.
    Personally, I believe that until a Hero is level 15+, you should never worry overly-much about him "dying".

Friend about to get smashed by a big Hammer? Send your Hero (and some troops, to provide real assistance and kill more attackers). Find yourself in a long down-time? Send a huge wave of troops and your Hero against an Unclaimed Oasis. So what if you can't claim it? If you send 2000+ troops, your losses are insignificant compared to the Hero XP gain.

Personally, I have had to revive my Hero on S2 a dozen times... The last time she died she was level 26 when I sent her out and level 31 when she revived! That's 5 levels (at a point when levels aren't easy) in one battle!
    TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img) http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...eSignature.png

This is a slightly different very early hero strategy I happened upon and would like some thoughts on. As a Teuton make a Mace hero first thing and put all points into individual stats (ie 2 att, 2 def, 1 regen). This instantly will make your hero fight like 4 maces and to train a mace hero is approx that to making 1 other mace. Just a cheap early hero you can suicide when you want to switch to a cav unit.
    If you are reading this my post is already over, move along.

Villager

isn't there a guide to heroes in the guide section?

Quote Originally Posted by silverx75 View Post
    isn't there a guide to heroes in the guide section?
    There is and it is linked at the beginning of my guide. The purpose to this guide, which is stated pretty clearly, is to help players pick their hero type. It does come down to the pally, ei, and tt. As much as anything, it's an explanation of why they're the best.
    Retired.

I have built my hero out of my first village. I want to conquer an oasis from my 15c which is far away. Do I have to let me hero die and resurrect him from the hero mansion in my 15c? Is this how you can conquer oasis for each village you own? Thanks.

I have built my hero out of my first village. I want to conquer an oasis from my 15c which is far away. Do I have to let me hero die and resurrect him from the hero mansion in my 15c? Is this how you can conquer oasis for each village you own? Thanks.
    No. First build a hero's mansion in the 15c. Then, when that is done, send the hero as a reinforcement to the 15c. From there, attack the oasis.

So you can reinforce another town with a hero and then send him out from that town? I didn't know you could do that. I know you can't with normal troops and never tried with a hero. Thanks for the info.

So you can reinforce another town with a hero and then send him out from that town? I didn't know you could do that. I know you can't with normal troops and never tried with a hero. Thanks for the info.
    You can do that with a hero, but only if the HM is built before you send the hero as a reinforcement.

Ok, so I just joined this game today and it's pretty interesting so far, but I'm trying to learn all teh aspects of the game. What I don't get is the percentages thing. In the link to that other guide, conquerer7 said

"Off-Bonus affects troops other than your hero. For every point you put into Off-Bonus, each one of your troops in the same village as your hero gain a 0.2% attack bonus. This doesn't seem like much, but if you have a large army it really adds up. Def-Bonus is the same, except with defense." What does he mean by the troops? So if I have 200 legos in village X and 300 in village Y, and I send my hero to village Y, will my hero get better stats?

Want to help that poor robot? Wanna give it a life?

ONLY 100 IRON TO HELP REPAIR THAT ROBOT!!!

(It also requires clay to build its house, wheat for it's baking hobby, and wood to....eat?)

When you are starting out is it important to put points in regen since the percentage is so low and it will take days to recover from a big battle?

When your hero is lvl 0 you can redistribute them into attack for an attack then put them into regen til he is back to 100%. Once I hit lvl 1, I have 5 in attack and 5 in regen. You definitely need some in regen at lvl 1. Then i did attack and regen for the next 5 or 6 levels. After I had about 15 points in each, I started doing offensive bonus %.

Quote Originally Posted by H4lcyoN View Post
    Ok, so I just joined this game today and it's pretty interesting so far, but I'm trying to learn all teh aspects of the game. What I don't get is the percentages thing. In the link to that other guide, conquerer7 said

"Off-Bonus affects troops other than your hero. For every point you put into Off-Bonus, each one of your troops in the same village as your hero gain a 0.2% attack bonus. This doesn't seem like much, but if you have a large army it really adds up. Def-Bonus is the same, except with defense." What does he mean by the troops? So if I have 200 legos in village X and 300 in village Y, and I send my hero to village Y, will my hero get better stats?
    Your hero improves the stats of the troops he is with during a battle. If you have an attack party composed of 200 legos and your hero, and the hero has 1% offensive bonus, your legos each get a 1% boost in attack. They have 40 atk each, so the total bonus is 80 points. That means that your army attacks effectively with 202 legos and your hero.

Quote Originally Posted by argordon View Post
    When you are starting out is it important to put points in regen since the percentage is so low and it will take days to recover from a big battle?
    Yes, it's important for the hero to have regen points, or you will lose it often.

When your hero is lvl 0 you can redistribute them into attack for an attack then put them into regen til he is back to 100%. Once I hit lvl 1, I have 5 in attack and 5 in regen. You definitely need some in regen at lvl 1. Then i did attack and regen for the next 5 or 6 levels. After I had about 15 points in each, I started doing offensive bonus %.
    ^^This is what I do too.
    Retired.

I don't understand some of the replies. I mean those with the word "overwritten" in them. I'm a fairly new player (3 wks now) and i still have a lot to learn and every single guide like this is VERY helpful. So instead of bashing the original poster i wanna say THANK YOU SIR

My pleasure. Hope you find other guides as helpful.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Slovak View Post
    I don't understand some of the replies. I mean those with the word "overwritten" in them. I'm a fairly new player (3 wks now) and i still have a lot to learn and every single guide like this is VERY helpful. So instead of bashing the original poster i wanna say THANK YOU SIR
    Well since you are new I will let you in on a forum secret... it is almost a requirement to bash Wren whenever possible. We will forgive you this time.

However, this guide did need to be overwritten because every time a new server starts someone will ask what is the best hero to make for a certain tribe and all the experienced players will post something like this...
    Only to have noobs argue about it for another 20+ plus pages. So it was nice for Wren to create a guide to quickly link with detailed reasons why it is wise to select the fastest and cheapest cav unit of each race for your hero.

Default so what?

Why do "experienced" players get offended when a thread reaches 20 pages on a subject they've already discussed months or years ago? Why does it bother them? Who cares? If it does not interest you, why would you read it, even less, respond with flame or some other degredation of the inexperienced? Did you not once have a father to teach you what he already knew? I am sure he rarely said "go read a book" when you asked him to help you learn to ride a bike.

OMG this makes me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderthegr8 View Post
    Did you not once have a father to teach you what he already knew? I am sure he rarely said "go read a book" when you asked him to help you learn to ride a bike.
    No, because he died. I learned how to be self-sufficient. Taught myself to read and to ride a bike all on my own. I didn't need someone to teach me how to cross the street either... Maybe I should have just sat on the corner and whined and moaned until someone came along to carry me on their back across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderthegr8 View Post
    Why do "experienced" players get offended when a thread reaches 20 pages on a subject they've already discussed months or years ago? Why does it bother them? Who cares? If it does not interest you, why would you read it, even less, respond with flame or some other degredation of the inexperienced?
    It's because after 20 pages of trying to share our experience, you are still complaining that our years of knowledge is wrong. Did you ever turn to your father and punch him in the face when he tried to pass on his knowledge to you?
    Last edited by JD70; 01-27-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Paladin heros suck imho. TK's every time for teuton.

I tried a Pally a couple of times. They die... And die. They suck.

And the majority of the time your hero goes with your hammer - which is slower units... so speed is not the most important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone. View Post
    Paladin heros suck imho. TK's every time for teuton.

And the majority of the time your hero goes with your hammer - which is slower units... so speed is not the most important factor.
    If you don't care about getting the fastest unit (because you will likely never send him alone or or at least not only with the fastest unit), then as a Teut you should get a mace. He's much cheaper (and quicker) to revive. The only advantage a TK has over a mace is raw attack power, which hardly matters when sending it with your hammer.

Where are you sending your hero? With a few points in attack, paladin can even clear oases solo.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    If you don't care about getting the fastest unit (because you will likely never send him alone or or at least not only with the fastest unit),
    Actually, once you have a few towns, you (at least, I) send the hero alone quite frequently.
    Just a few examples:
    - taking oases from a town your hero isn't in.
    - having your hero meet your defensive troops in a foreign city (my hero is normally w/ my hammer or raiding troops)
    - raiding towns with little resistance -- especially as a Roman or Gaul, this is where my fast heroes really shine. Even as a Teuton, having a pally hero helps for raiding... a TK hero isn't a bad option, though, as the difference in speed isn't huge.

The biggest reason to go pally over TK is that you can have your hero so much earlier with a pally... but if it doesn't level much by the time you can get to TK, there's not a big reason to not change over IMO.

The mace hero also has its advantages -- primarily in the disposable hammer -- which is a spamming of maces for a week, slapping in enough siege to bust a few buildings up, and slamming it repeatedly into things until it gets caught... then, rinse, revive and repeat.

edit:
    heh, this has now been necro'd twice
    Last edited by MokMonster; 01-31-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    Actually, once you have a few towns, you (at least, I) send the hero alone quite frequently.
    Just a few examples:
    - taking oases from a town your hero isn't in.
    - having your hero meet your defensive troops in a foreign city (my hero is normally w/ my hammer or raiding troops)
    - raiding towns with little resistance -- especially as a Roman or Gaul, this is where my fast heroes really shine. Even as a Teuton, having a pally hero helps for raiding... a TK hero isn't a bad option, though, as the difference in speed isn't huge.
    Agreed. I would also use a hero in those situations, and the fast heroes definitely help. I was specifically replying to the poster before me, who seemed to indicate he sends the hero mostly with the hammer. Thank you for clarifying that my statements shouldn't be generally accepted by all.

I often send TKs on raids and flash strikes without mace.. So mace hero - no...

TKs have speed and they're tough.

Pallys do die- frequently as I discovered to my cost in situations where TKs don't.

Pallys do die- frequently as I discovered to my cost in situations where TKs don't.
    Pallys are raiders, not attackers.
    As long as you remember that, you should have no problems keeping them alive.
    As for a pally hero, you put 5 points into attack and they're fine... the rest of the points go into % anyway, and the diff btwn your pally hero and TK hero at that point is pretty irrelevant.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)