Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Hero Selection

Exclamation

My offensive phalanx isn't doing good.It has participated in numerous battles but,it is still level one.HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SAURON View Post
    My offensive phalanx isn't doing good.It has participated in numerous battles but,it is still level one.HELP !!!!!!!!!!
    rack up the kills, you'll need 200 for level 2
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU

He has the right to defend himself against you he obviosly like any other farm want to continue to be attacked. But you should be suprised not mad either make a deal or woo him. But yes your taking it a little too seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Individual stats - Frankly, they don't matter at all. You will use the % bonuses and they're way more important than that other stuff.

Speed - The killer. Use the fastest hero you have. You will get enough hero experience to give yourself serious % bonuses, so the hero's individual stats don't matter at all. Speed ensures quick transfers between villages, faster oasis capture, and quicker hero only attacks. A more subtle concern is movement speed. Timing is important in this game, and as long as your hero is top speed, you will be able to rein or raid with any speed in your army, and still include your hero.

I am certain that the faster hero is the best hero. EI, TT, Pally
    Conveniently, they are also the cheaper cav units of each race.
    I'd say this is the heart of the discussion.

I would say in the early game it can be worth it to stick a few points in individual stats if you find yourself in conflicts with somewhat evenly matched neighbors. An extra couple hundred points of offense or defense can be useful when total troop counts are only in the low hundreds.

Might be worth adding something on stat points in regeneration... I'm really not sure what is optimal there. 1 point regen per 5 in off or def %?

Philosopher

While the guide is helpful, most of it is common sense, and the other part is way overwritten. Overall I would give it a 3 out of 5. You could add some more stuff about the actual usage of heroes. Like using them to take an oasis. Also, you could add something about transferring the hero from village to village so you can send with different armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    Women, on the other hand, are dressed and ready to go in 15 minutes flat. They have two pairs of pants max, which makes any decision making a breeze - "I wore this pair last time, so I'll wear the other pair today. But the tie I wore last time is fine.... just need to get a few crinkles out."

Villager

I'm a little stunned about some of these replies regarding the guide being "overwritten". Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure what someone means when they use that term.

To me, basic guides are not something that should be written with the veteran in mind. Sure, long time players may pick up something every now and then through research, but normally these things should be written with the relatively inexperienced player in mind.

Personally, I want my basic guides fairly wordy, frankly. Give me details, and let me decide what is useful and what isn't.

I would prefer a more detailed explanation of each option broken down, categorically.

The first place I would point to, is this page:

http://help.travian.us/index.php?type=faq&mod=450

(notice the costs of resurrection --- per the discussion on this thread --- as the levels go up!)

To me, the original post could go into more detail versus the advantages and disadvantages of each category. I do appreciate the idea of likely specializing in one, as opposed to being a jack of all trades.

One thing that isn't pointed out, is that the attack % hero would seem the more efficient at leveling up, simply because as he's gaining experience, he in turn makes the group around him better at killing opposing units.

I like the comment in the thread regarding offensive stats being helpful in the early going, before everyone has huge armies, as opposed to the more endgame helpful offensive %.

I would also like to see some comments regarding what players should do to maximize their hero, both in leveling him up, and also in protecting him from harm. What kind of battles should they engage in, and what kind of battles should they evade? Also, under what circumstances would a player use a hero as a reinforcement for an alliance member/teammate?

Should there be any special comments regarding heroes and Gallic traps?

As someone brand new to the game (3 days now) I'm looking for as much information as possible on all aspects. This seems like a good start on the subject of heroes, but instead of being "overwritten" --- which again, I'm not entirely sure what that means --- I'd say it still needs a great deal of fleshing out, at least from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by r:kidd View Post
    I would also like to see some comments regarding what players should do to maximize their hero, both in leveling him up, and also in protecting him from harm. What kind of battles should they engage in, and what kind of battles should they evade? Also, under what circumstances would a player use a hero as a reinforcement for an alliance member/teammate?

Should there be any special comments regarding heroes and Gallic traps?

As someone brand new to the game (3 days now) I'm looking for as much information as possible on all aspects. This seems like a good start on the subject of heroes, but instead of being "overwritten" --- which again, I'm not entirely sure what that means --- I'd say it still needs a great deal of fleshing out, at least from my perspective.
    Personally, I believe that until a Hero is level 15+, you should never worry overly-much about him "dying".

Friend about to get smashed by a big Hammer? Send your Hero (and some troops, to provide real assistance and kill more attackers). Find yourself in a long down-time? Send a huge wave of troops and your Hero against an Unclaimed Oasis. So what if you can't claim it? If you send 2000+ troops, your losses are insignificant compared to the Hero XP gain.

Personally, I have had to revive my Hero on S2 a dozen times... The last time she died she was level 26 when I sent her out and level 31 when she revived! That's 5 levels (at a point when levels aren't easy) in one battle!
    TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img)

This is a slightly different very early hero strategy I happened upon and would like some thoughts on. As a Teuton make a Mace hero first thing and put all points into individual stats (ie 2 att, 2 def, 1 regen). This instantly will make your hero fight like 4 maces and to train a mace hero is approx that to making 1 other mace. Just a cheap early hero you can suicide when you want to switch to a cav unit.
    If you are reading this my post is already over, move along.

Villager

isn't there a guide to heroes in the guide section?

Quote Originally Posted by silverx75 View Post
    isn't there a guide to heroes in the guide section?
    There is and it is linked at the beginning of my guide. The purpose to this guide, which is stated pretty clearly, is to help players pick their hero type. It does come down to the pally, ei, and tt. As much as anything, it's an explanation of why they're the best.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU