Thread: Iron Man Graphics Pack Availalble

Default Iron Man Graphics Pack Availalble

I have created an Iron Man graphics pack for Travian. The admin stated he will add it to Travianskins.com soon, but you can also link to it from my website or download the .zip file in my signature at the bottom of my posts.

I borrowed a couple of the images in it from some of the other graphics packs, but the vast majority of the pack is my original work. My philosophy: If it isn't broke, don't fix it, and some of the images were good, so I used them, but it's only some of the images, such as the building images.

Iron Man is my favorite superhero. He has been for 26 years now when I read my first Iron Man comic way back in 1983.

Features:

• Right-hand Menu: Iron Man helmet mouse-over for Menu

• Reports and Mail: Icons are grey iron man helmets. When a new report or message is received, the proper helmet will light up in color.

• Plus link: The word plus, the link at the top of the page, has been removed, and replaced with a stack of gold bars.

• Resource Icons: I have created custom resource icons, which are crisp and clear.
      • Wheat Consumption icon: Since Tony Stark had a bout with alcoholism, I made the Wheat Consumption icon an empty bottle of moonshine, tipped on it's side, and marked with 'XXX'.
      • Wheat icon: The wheat icon has also been changed. The new icon is for a different kind of 'crop'. It rhymes with 'need'.

• Top Menu: The top menu are different pictures of Iron Man in various suits of armor. The pics are grey, and will turn color as you mouse over and select an option.

• Rally Point: The Rally Point is an animated Iron Man. Looks really cool standing in the midst of the village.

• Troop Icons: The troop icons are different models of Iron Man armors. I wanted the various armors to portray their equivalent Travian troop type in the best way possible, so I broke it down this way:
      • basic/light infantry: Model I (grey armor)
      • medium infantry: Model II (gold armor)
      • heavy infantry - Model III (post-proto/pre-classic armor)
      • scout - Model X (stealth armor)
      • light cavalry - Model V (classic red and gold armor - in flying pose)
      • heavy cavalry - Model XXVIII (Thor-Buster armor- in flying pose)
      • siege machine - Model XVI (War Machine armor)
      • catapults/trebuchet - Model XVIII, Mark II (Hulk-Buster armor)
      • senator - Iron Man 2020 armor (from Earth-2020)
      • settler - Model XX (Iron Boy armor)
      • hero - Model XII (silver centurion armor, the one he created after the armor wars were over with)

• Nature's Troops: rat - Iron Mouse (alternate reality armor from the Spider-Ham universe). For the rest of the nature's troops icons, I have replaced the standard icons with ones that I created, and are much higher-resolution.

• Natars: For the Natar's, I went with an 'Armor Wars' theme. The Armor Wars story arc has always been one of my favorite. For those that don't know, the Spymaster stole designs and specs to Tony Stark's technology, and was selling it to the highest bidders on the black market. Iron Man went on a mission to wipe out all traces of his technology that had fallen into other people's hands. So I based my Natars on the various armors that were based on Iron Man's technology. With the exception of the Mandarin, he wasn't a part of Armor Wars, but he was in the Armor Wars II story arc. Here is list:
      • Pikemen = Mandroids
      • Thorned Warrior = Titanium Man
      • Guardsmen = Guardsmen
      • Bird of Prey = The Beetle
      • Axerider = The Controller
      • Natarian Knight = Crimson Dynamo
      • Warelephant = Iron Monger
      • Ballista = Firepower
      • Natarian Emperor = Mandarin
      • Settler = Spymaster
      I left out some of the other enemies from the Armor Wars because there are only so many Natar troop types.

• Messages / Notebooks / Reports: I modified these just a bit to fit into the color scheme.
    Last edited by VGADisciple; 01-10-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Default Screenshots

Thanks for the suggestion! Here is a small thumbnail. Click on the thumbnail for a full-size screenshot.

CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL-SIZE SCREENSHOT

Nicely done!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5227/sidhwolf.gif
    Signature by dixy_normous
    Thanks Dix

That's awesome, nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    shooter101, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone who has read this is now dumber for having done so. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

post screen shot of inside the town
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are"

Default Security Risk

Thanks for the link CaptainLucifel

As you can see, I borrowed the buildings and the village map from two other user-created graphics pack. I also borrowed the village overview maps, the one that shows the resources. It has more detail than the standard graphics pack.

Everything else I did using a program called GraphicConverter. It's a very nice, yet cheap, graphics creation/editing software. Not as fully advanced as Photoshop, but it works very well.

If anyone wants to use it now, you can use the link below in my signature. Also the link above from CaptainLucifel also contains link to use it on the preview page.
    Last edited by VGADisciple; 01-10-2009 at 06:24 PM.

you borrowed the star wars version of the wall , but still pretty cool

Default Iron Man GP

Yeah, I borrowed a few things for the village part. Some from the Star Wars, and some from the StarCraft pack.

Eventually, I'll probably replace those buildings with the Avengers Mansion, Stark Tower, and some skyscrapers, to represent New York city.

I've been working a bit on that, but put it on hold for now, because I'm making a WWII German graphics pack for a friend.

Perhaps you should ask the original creators of the graphics packs if they are okay with you using their material.

Or at the very least, give credit in the opening post. As anyone who has done a complete graphics pack will know, changing the background is not "the vast majority" of the work. Changing the buildings is a massively time consuming task, as is sorting out the look of the resources and the map.

Changing the buttons up the top and the background picture is a minuscule amount of work. I am very disappointed.

Default OK

I did mention in numerous posts that I borrowed a few things.

But you are right, a proper "Thank you.", is in order.

I give thanks to Blizzard for StarCraft. I didn't get permission from Blizzard for the use of their buildings which I used in my village, but since I'm not selling the pack, I don't think Blizzard will mind.

I give thanks to Narodnik for editing the StarCraft buildings. He did an excellent job.

However, to save people from getting upset, I'm editing my own StarCraft buildings to replace some of the ones I borrowed.

Nardonik is correct, I know a lot of work went into the resource maps. Those are very time consuming to make.

I give thanks to the creator of the Star Wars Graphic Pack. I used his village map.

Changing the buttons up the top and the background picture is a minuscule amount of work.
    I did a lot more than just change the background and some buttons. LOL! It took hours to literally edit pixel by pixel at a time, thousands upon thousands of them, to make sure that the Iron Man troop icons and Natar villian icons were as high-res as possible.

So I give thanks to Marvel Comics for the use of the various icons, buttons, pictures, etc.

It took hours to create resource icons, which are pretty high-res for being limited to minute .gif files, which is my original work. I created these, then went in and edited them pixel by pixel to make them nice and clear, so as not to be some unrecognizable blur.

It took me hours to create some of the Nature's Troops, and to make sure they were clear and high-res. Of course, Iron Mouse, is Marvel Comics. I didn't create that, just edited it.

That is on hold now, because I'm making a German WWII graphics pack, where yes, I'm even making my own buildings.

For the few things I borrowed, if it isn't broke, why fix it? Imitation is the best form of flattery. For some things, like basic resource fields, why create them for an Iron Man theme, when the ones that exist are perfect.

When I do other packs, which I will, in some cases, I'll create my own buildings and resource fields, because the ones that exist just won't do. I'll need more specialized fields. I have already began creating my own buildings for another skin I'm working on.

If anyone came to me and asked me to remove their copyrighted / trademarked material, and gave me proof of the copyrights, I would remove them.

Or in the case of Blizzard, if they asked me to remove their StarCraft icons from my pack, I would be happy to do so, since they own the copyrights to them.

As for my work that I've done on this pack, I don't own any copyrights, and anyone is free to use what they want for any future packs.
    Last edited by VGADisciple; 01-11-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Trapped on an asteroid. Stupid Heechee ships......

Quote Originally Posted by Narodnik View Post
    I am very disappointed.

Having never created a graphics pack, I can't summon the same vehemence Nar does, but I am also saddened by what I see. Expecting an exciting new graphics pack based on Iron Man, I instead look and find a large Iron Man statue has been essentially shoved into the Starcraft graphics pack, and a few close ups of Iron Man's face have been substituted in.

I like the idea, but putting a monkey in a sundress doesn't make him a pretty lady.

Edit: My immense bad, I forgot to mention the troops: The troops are quite awesome. Well done there.
    Oh hiatus.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the criticism and the compliment.

The ONLY thing I took from the StarCraft pack though were the buildings, which I'm in the process of replacing anyway. The reason I wanted to use something like the Starcraft buildings is I wanted something futuristic looking, like some Iron Man moon base or what have you.

Don't make it sound like I took everything from the StarCraft pack. It was just the buildings.

Also, no offense to Nardonik, but he didn't 'create' those starcraft icons. He took them from Blizzard, and he edited them. So how do you think the developer's at Blizzard would feel if they knew Nardonik 'borrowed' their copyrighted material? They probably wouldn't care one bit as long as he isn't making money off it. So, let's give credit where credit is due. Thanks Blizzard!

Just as I took from Marvel the Iron Man icons, he took from Blizzard. I didn't create them. I just edited them.

I'm not taking away from Nardonik the time it took to edit them, but if we want to give true credit where credit is due, maybe both Nardonik and I should write Blizzard a formal Thank You letter explaining how we borrowed their icons so we could make Travian skins.

Again, I repeat, the only thing I used from the Nardonik's skin were his buildings. This is not another StarCraft pack with a few Iron Man pics. LOL! Far from it.

I already stated in another post how it took hours to edit all the icons I used from Marvel.

Also, I created the resource icons. Those icons are some of the highest-res icons out of any of the Travian skins, and I busted my butt on them.
    Last edited by VGADisciple; 01-11-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VGADisciple View Post
    <post>
    You'll notice that in every thread I made about my graphics pack I gave credit to Starcraft and Blizzard. I also gave credit to the other graphics packs that helped me and the users that also helped me (W_W was an absolute legend with it all).

You didn't give any such credit until called out on it.

Secondly, your resource images aren't "the highest resolution" of any out there. They are gifs at a resolution of 18x12px, same as any other pack.

Thirdly, if it took you hours to make those unit images, that does not mean you did a lot of work - it means you are inefficient. I did twice that amount (all three races individually and nature).

Fourthly, you also borrowed images for the basic resource fields, the map and the oases.

Fifthly, you were arrogant enough to put a "made by" picture down the bottom of the right. I made all parts of my graphics pack and didn't feel that necessary.

Sixthly, you did not even create any new buttons either.

~~~~

So far as I can see, this is the sum of what you did:
    • Changed the buttons up the top (which aren't even lined up properly because they jitter when moved over)
    • Placed a background image in (without even modifying the files to have it fit seamlessly in; notice how the top menu bar crosses over it)
    • Changed troop icons
    • Changed resource pictures
    • Changed the building background to a picture that is heavily diffused, demonstrating its poor quality
    • Failed to adapt the .css code so that the text didn't run over the pictures
    • Failed to provide an image that demonstrates if the graphics pack is working

In all, I certainly feel you failed to live up to any hype whatsoever. More than half of the graphics packs listed on Travianskins are superior to yours. Even the ones of poor graphics I have a lot more respect for - as they had the backbone to either do their own work, or not claim credit for what others had done.

~~~

Oh, and feel free to read the README.txt file I attach to all of my graphics packs. Namely, this line at the end "If you want to use any of the images I have put in the pack, please contact me about it first."
    Last edited by Narodnik; 01-11-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Default Feel better now?

I hope you feel much better now that you got all that off of your chest Nardonik. Sometimes it's good to just let it all out.

I could reply back, and defend my work, but no sense arguing. I'll let the individual player decide if they like the pack or not. I could care less what people think.

I want to know where I claim responsibility for other people's work? In my VERY FIRST post I stated that I borrowed from some of the other packs. You have charged me over and over again with this, but obviously, you must not have read my VERY FIRST POST!

Here is a quote from my first post:

I borrowed a couple of the images in it from some of the other graphics packs, but the vast majority of the pack is my original work. My philosophy: If it isn't broke, don't fix it, and some of the images were good, so I used them,
    And by high-res, I mean not pixelated. Some icons on some of the packs, such as the standard graphic pack, the icons are so pixelated, it's hard to tell what they are. When you see my snake, you know it's a snake, etc.

The 'jitter' that you speak of is on purpose. Not only did I want the images to light up on mouse-over, but to slightly move upwards.

I wanted the top bar, the one that says Iron Man, with the Gold Bars for Plus, to overlap my background image, which is why I put the big Iron Man head in the far top right corner. Looks perfect to me.

Although, as I stated a DOZEN times, even before you went on your rant, that I was going to get rid of the StarCraft buildings in place of skyscrapers.

And you stated you created all your images. That simply is not the case. The StarCraft buildings you did not create. They are Blizzard's creation. All you did was crop them and edit them.

As for me not creating any new buttons, the standard ones worked just fine. Didn't need to create any.

Either way Nardonik, game hard, and don't drink the hatorade. I'm here just like everyone else is, to game and have fun.
    Last edited by VGADisciple; 01-12-2009 at 01:36 AM.

Default Quick Update

Just to quite the riot, I'm working on my own buildings. I'm also going to replace the standard buttons with my own. Even though the standard buttons work just fine, I'll do it to appease Nardonik.

I don't want any hard feelings between us. You obviously know what you are doing, as your StarCraft packs are really nice. I posted that almost a week ago.

In the wise words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

I did mention I borrowed some stuff from other packs, and I do admit you were correct, that I should have been more specific when I said that, and thank each person. I'm sorry I didn't be more specific.

Let bygones be bygones, and to make everyone happy.

I've put away my $35 GraphicConverter program, and I busted out my Maya, which is a top of the line graphics studio.

Travian is just a fun game, and I was just trying to make a quick and fun Iron Man pack for it.

But since Nardonik doesn't think I've got the skills, I'll bust out Maya, and create some bad-*** sky scrapers for New York city for my skin.

If you want to get serious, let's get serious.

It's not about saying you do or don't have the skills.

I just feel it is common decency that if you wanted to use the images someone else created, you should contact them first. I asked as much in the readme I attached to my zip files.

i tried it out just cause i like graphic packs, but this one was pretty fail. sorry if im hurting your feelings, but it needs much more editing. if only the natars troops are changed, its not very effective. perhaps trying to edit more would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    Due to all the Narwhal blubber I've been eating lately, I probably taste like a Milky kiwi-flavored Narwhal
    Quote Originally Posted by idontunderstand View Post
    yes. anyone that thinks God is wrong is stupid

cuz i have my own beliefs ur saying im dumb?
    This kid never fails to make me laugh.

Dear santa: Where's my bazooka, you ripoff artist.

Hey! It's a neopet.

So, who's neopet are you?