Thread: Nichts Beginner's Guide and FAQ

Default Nichts Beginner's Guide and FAQ

Introduction

The purpose of this guide isn't to give a comprehensive overview of the game. There are already guides that delve deep into the nitty-gritty details of Travian gameplay. Instead, this guide will be aimed at linking many of the guides, help sites, and other resources, often written by ordinary players like yourself, together. The information that new players are looking for is out there. The trick is finding it, and understanding how to use it in game. And this guide will hopefully help in that aspect. Unfortunately, it will sometimes present the same information as another guide.

The information in this guide is presented in an FAQ format, with each section preceded with a question that is frequently asked on the Questions board. The questions are organized in the way a player would come across them in-game, and a link to each question is provided in the index.

Each section will contain direct links to important entries in the official Travian help site, http://help.travian.us. At the bottom of each section, links to guides which specifically deal with a topic presented will be listed. Where possible, I will also include screenshots to help explain what I am refering to.

With that in mind, if you are a new player, welcome to Travian.

At it's heart, Travian is a war game with an equally important social and economic aspect. The three are not separate entities. They all impact each other - alliances determine who you attack, resources impact how well you can attack (as well as how often you are attacked), attacking impacts both what your neighbours think of you, and how many resources you have. Of all these three, warfare is the most important. You must always be ready to be attacked, and therefore, you must always prepare yourself to defend. How you decide to accomplish this - through diplomacy, military strength, or other strategic playing - is up to you. This guide will present the various methods of doing so, but it is up to you to decide which is best suited for your situation.

This is the beauty of Travian. There is no one method of winning, no one correct way to play. Guides can only take you so far. They are a suggestion of how to play, but by no means the only way to play. The best players are players who take calculated risks, who are not afraid to stray away from conventional methods to attempt something different. Trial and error is in important part of the game.

The best players are also ones that take the time to learn from past experiences. Travian is not a game for absolutely everyone. It does require a certain amount of dedication, as well as patience and perseverance. The time that you invest into your account will be reflected in how well you do. And remember - no matter what you do, you will rarely ever be successful on your first try.

The veterans, the people that you see ranked at the top of your server, the moderators, they all started off just like you. They were all newbies once, they all made mistakes. Everyone can become a good Travian player. It doesn't happen overnight, or even in a few weeks. It takes months and months of playing. There is no god mode, no super secret trick that will make you #1 instantly. There is just months and months of gameplay, and all that goes along with it.

The goal of Travian is to win End Game. End Game begins approximately 300 days after the start of a server, and lasts about two months. During End Game a computer controlled tribe, called the Natars, appears, and allows the alliances to capture building plans, which are needed to build a World Wonder. The first alliance to build a level 100 World Wonder (often simply referred to as WW) wins the round. Once this happens, the server is finished, and restarts within a few weeks.

End game requires co-ordination, leadership, and above all, huge armies and a huge supply chain of villages to feed the WW village. It separates the good alliances from the not so good ones, and so being in a winning alliances is a prestigious honour. It is everyone's goal, but not everyone will accomplish it.

Before this can all happen, a player must first sign up, and this is where the guide will start.

Refer to: Tribes, Beginner's Guide to Travian

Index of Topics

Starting Off

How do I sign up?
    When I go to sign up, what does all of that stuff mean?
    What should I know when I'm signing up for a server?
    What is the "rim"?

Interacting With The Game: Part 1

I'm in the game now. What the heck am I looking at?
    ZOMG! msgs? ong! i wanna repli!!!!!
    Great! I think I'll thank my homeland for sending me resource.

Interacting With The Game: Part 2
    Mods? MHs? Supporters? HUH!?!
    Yea, yea. What do I do now?
    The In Game Manual

Other Things To Note
    How do I join an alliance? Can I make one?
    When should I join an alliance?
    What's the deal with attacking?
    Can you explain some of the more common rules?

How do I sign up?

1. Click the linked called "Register"
    2. Select the Server you wish to play on. Please see What should I know when I'm signing up for a server? for an important note.

When I go to sign up, what does all of that stuff mean?

Once you have selected a server, you will be taken to a page which looks like the one in the above image. This is where you fill in your account information - your In Game Name/Account name (refered to as an IGN), which tribe you wish to use, and which area of the world map you wish to be in.

The world map is a Torus, that is, it wraps. For simplicities sake it is often treated as a Cartesian plane, and each of the quadrants in game reflects a quadrant on the plane, as follows:

Northwest - co-ordinates are in the form -|+, such as -56|65
    Northeast - co-ordinates are in the form +|+, such as 56|65
    Southwest - co-ordinates are in the form -|-, such as -56|-65
    Southeast - co-ordinates are in the form +|-, such as 56|-65

Selecting a quadrant guarantees that you will be placed among new players, in an area of the server called the "rim." You may be placed among more experienced players if you select Random. Why selecting Random is not recommended will be explained in detail in the next question.

What should I know when I'm signing up for a server?

There are a few things you should know:

- Every server has a different start date. Older servers typically have larger armies, larger (and often somewhat bored) players, and are typically much harder for newer players to play on. A key feature of an old server is the presence of Catapults. These units allow players to destroy other villages, including brand new villages fresh out of beginners protection.

The start date for each server can be found here.

- It is not always a good idea to start right at the start of a server. Travian depends heavily on farming, and many players hold off on registering for a day or two just to make sure that they are placed farther out where inactive/newbie villages are more abundant. These villages, when successfully raided multiple times, become known as "farms."

- Every server typically develops a particularly aggressive quadrant, in which it is much harder then normal to play on. The best way to figure out if one exists, and which one it is, is to spend some time reading in the forums. Alliances tend to stick to one quadrant, and if a particular alliance seems more aggressive then the others, it may be a good idea to avoid their quadrant.

What is the "rim?"

(Note: each dot represents a village. This map was generated using an analyzer on http://travian.ws/. These types of tools, which use information provided by Travian in something called map.sql, are legal.)

The rim is the area of the map where new villages are being placed, highlighted in red in the image. If you sign up for a new account, and select a certain quadrant, you will most likely be placed in the rim. As the server gets older, the rim moves out, away from the origin, 0|0. It is usually a very easy area to start off in.

The area highlighted in blue is where villages have already been placed, while the area highlighted in green is called the "boonies." The only villages located in the boonies are ones which have been artificially settled by other players using Settlers.

I'm in the game now. What the heck am I looking at?

(Please note: with the introduction of Quests, this question is not up to date. I will keep it here for reference until I get the time to make a new account and rewrite the answer.)

When you first login, you will see the basic village overview. The functions of each of the various links are explained in great detail in this Beginner's Guide, and so I won't go into detail about them.

I do want to focus on two specific icons, shown in the image below.

The red arrow in the image points to a button that will take you to a page which displays all sorts of reports - trade, battle, reinforcement, etc. It is grey at the moment, because there are none to be viewed. It turns green when there are new ones.

The blue arrow points to a button that will take you to your messages. Whenever there is a new message, it will turn yellow. You have a new message, and now is the the time to take a look at it.

Once you click on it, you will see two new messages. Let's take a look at the first one, titled "Welcome to Travian":

The very first piece of information that you should look at, and the only reason why you MUST keep this message, is the part about beginner's protection, highlighted in blue.

This message tells you when Beginner's Protection (BP) will end for you. Take the date and time the message was sent (this information is located at the top right hand corner), add whatever amount of time it is that you are in beginner's protection, and you will know when you are out of it. In the above example, the account GuideTest would be out of BP on May 24, 2008, at 8:02 pm.

During BP you are allowed to build and attack as you please, but you can not be attacked by anyone. It is an excellent time to begin farming. But remember that others can see when you come out of BP, and they may be ready to attack you.

As servers get older, the length of BP increases. BP is much shorter on speed servers than on normal servers. GuideTest was made on the US speed server as it was starting, which resulted in protection lasting just one day.

Please note that this message was sent from an account called Support.

Now let's take a look at the other message, titled "Upgrade resource fields."

Take a look at the blue rectangle. In it there are instructions on what you should do to receive (a) shipment(s) of additional, free resources. Every tribe has different requirements, outlined below:

Gauls - a simple upgrade of the cranny will get a Gallic player three equal shipments of resources.
    Romans - upgrading each of the resource fields will result in two deliveries of resources. One delivery will be larger than the other.
    Teutons - upgrading a wheat field to level 3 will see the Teuton receive one giant shipment of resources.

The shipments are a one time offer, and once you have received all of them, you will not receive any more from your "Homeland."

Again, please note that the message was sent from an account called Support.

ZOMG! msgs? ong! i wanna repli!!!!!

Slow down there, Johnny. Messaging is serious business.

Ok, it's not. The key thing to keep in mind in Travian.us is that many, many players appreciate proper English, and despise any sort of improper use of it - things like chatspeak, leetspeak, and even ignoring things like capital letters and punctuation could result in a visit from your neighbour's army.

On the other hand, proper use of English helps greatly with diplomacy. Humour and wit are well liked by many people, and use of proper English plus a little humour and/or wit can often persuade a "farmer" to stop raiding you.

Great! I think I'll thank my homeland for sending me resource.

That's not necessary.

As I have already indicated, the messages are sent from an account called "Support." They are automatically generated messages, and if you reply to them, they will be received by one of the Supporters. And no, Supporters can't really send you more resources, or make another delivery happen. That's not what they're here for.
    Last edited by Nichts; 07-29-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Mods? MHs? Supporters? HUH!?!

There are a number of people known collectively as Travian Staff. The majority of Travian Staff positions are not paid positions.

Their functions vary greatly, but here's a general list of what each staff member does:

Support: These people are regular players who have volunteered to answer questions that other users may have in game. Can't find information on something? Don't know what something does? Want some advice? They are the best people to ask.

To reach them, simply message "Support."

Forum Moderators: Commonly called "mods," these people are also regular players. Their job, however, is to keep the public Travian forums clean and usable by everyone. They are the ones that make sure every forum goer follows the forum rules.

There are two types of mods - regular mods, whose names are in Orange, and Super Mods (s-mods) whose names are in blue. Super Mods have greater powers then regular mods, but typically all of them have been a moderator at some point on the Travian forums.

Mods can generally be contacted by either a Private Message (PM), or offsite by MSN/AIM/ICQ/etc.

Multihunters: Multihunters (MHs) are people tasked with enforcing the in game rules. They can be contacted by either messaging Multihunter in game, or by going to 0|0, and following the links from their village. Multihunters do not play on a server which they are an MH on, and their account is banned to prevent people from attacking it.

The in game rules can be found by clicking on Support in the right hand toolbar, and then following the link called "game rules."

Administrator: The admin has full powers over everything. He or she can act as a forum moderator, a Multihunter, Support, as well as performing functions only the admin can do, like restarting servers.

Our current admin is Taranis. He can be contacted through a forum PM, or by emailing admin@travian.us.

Yea, yea. What do I do now?

You're now at the point where you will want to start building your village. There are many guides which give suggestions on what you should do, and you can find links to them at the bottom of this section.

From here on in what you do is up to you. Some players like to start farming as soon as possible, while others prefer to hold off. Neither is wrong, but one is usually suited better to certain conditions - based on things like the villages around you, how much BP time you have, how old the server is, etc.

There are a few buildings that all players should be aware of:

The Cranny

The absolute cheapest way to protect your resources early on, a cranny can be built on any circular building space in your village. Once you have upgraded a cranny to level 10, you can build more crannies. Typically 3-4 crannies will be enough to protect a village up to about 300 pop, after which an army is often a better deterrent.

Teutons can take 1/3 of the resources hidden in crannies, while Gauls have crannies that hide twice as much.A cranny can not be targeted directly by catapults, however, it can be destroyed if the attacker selects Random as the target.

The Trapper

The Trapper is only available to Gauls. It allows Gauls to set traps, with each trap being able to trap exactly one attacking unit. Trappers are excellent in the early stages of a server, but the number of troops many players have 3 to 4 months into a server make them obsolete by that time.

When you have trapped an attacker's troops, there are a few options available to you:

1. Release them without a ransom. This is desirable if you know that your attacker will attack you again, potentially freeing your troops. Trapped units can be freed through a successful "Normal Attack" by either the owner of the units, or someone in his/her alliance. Should this happen, your trapper will only reset 1/2 of the traps, as opposed to 2/3 if you release the troops yourself.

2. Release them after a ransom has been paid. Sometimes it is a good idea to message a player and offer them their troops back for a ransom. This is particularly handy for attackers who are about equal in strength with you. If you don't think they have the ability to free their troops themselves, this may be a good option to try.

As to the size of the ransom, the best idea is to negotiate. Make it realistic - asking for 1000 resources per maceman simply isn't going to go down well with your attacker. Asking for half of their total resource value, ie. 0.5(95+75+40+40), or 125 resources per maceman, might be a good idea. All resource transfer rules (ie. "no pushing") apply to ransoms.

3. Do nothing. The trapped troops will not eat your wheat - they actually eat wheat from the village they were sent from - so sometimes it isn't a bad idea to leave them in your traps. By doing this you force your attacker to waste wheat on an army they can't use anyway.

Trapped troops can be released by going to the Rally Point.

The Rally Point

The Rally Point is the most important area for your military endevours. Without it you can not build barracks to train infantry, or a stable to train cavalry.

The Rally Point is special - it can only be built in one place, indicated in the image below.

The Barracks

The very first troops you build will probably be from the barracks. In order to build the Barracks, you need to first upgrade certain buildings. Figuring out which buildings to build is explained in the next section.

The In Game Manual

To your left is a link called manual. It will bring up an informative window.

The in game manual is NOT comprehensive. It is meant to be a handy reference guide only. Need to find out what level barracks you need to train Imperians? The Manual can tell you. What do you need to get a Seige workshop? Let's take a look!

This is the screen that you will see if you navigate to the Manual entry for the Siege Workshop.

There are two pieces of information you can get from this. The first is how many resources, and how long a level 1 Siege Workshop will take. This is highlighted in blue.

The second part, the part highlighted in red is the important part. It tells you what you need in order to be able to construct a level 1 Siege Workshop. You can not build something if you do not meet the requirements.

Refer to: Why Trappers Are Useful
    Teuton (Speed) Guide
    Teuton Guide
    Nailzz Teuton Guide
    Gaul Guide
    Roman Guide

How do I join an alliance? Can I make one?

If an alliance sends you an invitation, you can accept that invitation by going to your embassy. You must have an embassy to join an alliance, but you do not need to keep your embassy after you have joined.

Alliances can be created once your embassy is level 3.

When should I join an alliance?

Usually, there is no rush to join an alliance. You could wait until your population is 100, even 300. Get to know your area, and join an alliance that is dominant in it. Alliances that have members all over the place aren't typically as effective as alliances which are clustered in the same area. The main reason for this is that it is hard to support someone with an army if your army has to travel 24 hours to get to them.

You also want to avoid alliances that start up at the very beginning of a server. This is because they are started by people who do not realize that upgrading an embassy that early is a waste of resources. Instead of upgrading resources fields, or training troops, and increasing their production, people who start alliances too early stunt their growth. This is a sign of a newbie who hasn't quite grasped the game yet. They tend not to make very good leaders.

What's the deal with attacking?

After Beginners Protection expires, your village can be attacked. Attacking is central to the game, as it is the method with which people and alliances establish dominance. A form of attacking, called farming, exponentially increases the amount of resources coming into your villages.

There are very few rules regarding attacking. Anyone can attack anyone as many times as they wish, as long as they are not doing anything against the few rules that do exist.

Can I move my army from one village to another?

Not exactly. You are able to send an army from one village to defend another village. This is called reinforcing, or reining. Reinforced troops cannot, however, attack from the village they are defending.

The only unit which can be moved from one village to another is the hero. A hero can attack from any of your villages which has a Hero's Mansion in it. It will act as a regular reinforce in another person's village, or in a village which does not have a Hero's Mansion.

Can you explain some of the more common rules?

Of course! There are questions about some rules that appear frequently, and I've provided answers to them in this section:

What is the difference between a dual, and a multi?

A dual describes an account played by more than one person. It is legal to do this on .us servers. A multi is a person who plays several accounts on the same server. This is illegal. You are allowed exactly one account per person per server.

What if my family wants to play too?

There is an option available in game, under Profile -> Account called Same Computer usage. Anyone who uses your internet connection to play Travian should be listed there. Having them listed there means that all trades done between Same Computer users must be at a ratio of 1:1. Same Computer users may not conquer each other's villages.

How do I know if I am on the same internet connection as someone else? They're on a different computer!

The easiest way to find out is to go to http://whatismyip.org/. Do this on both computers. If the numbers that show up are the same on both computers, you are on the same connection, called an IP address.

What's Pushing?

Pushing is the transfer of more resources than is allowed by Travian rules.

The rules allow the following one way transfers of resources:

- 1 hours worth of total production in the case of a smaller player population wise sending resources to a larger player population wise
    - 3 hours worth of total production in the case of a larger player population wise sending resources to a smaller player population wise

Total production is calculated by adding up (Wood Production + Clay Production + Iron Production + Gross Wheat Production)

There are special limitations on resource transfers between sitters, and same computer users. Also, these rules do not apply immediately if you are sending wheat to feed reinforced troops in another village. The stipulation here is that you can not be feeding your troops that are reinforced in someone else's village indefinitely.

If I find or suspect something wrong, who do I contact?

The person to contact regarding such things is the MH. The people doing Support are great people, but they don't have the authority to deal with infractions. Please make sure to clearly explain the situation.

Refer to: Leadership, Politics, and Propaganda.

Nichts, since you didn't really answer a question I have in the guide, is there a push limit on ransom for troops?

Quote Originally Posted by rome's emperor View Post
    Nichts, since you didn't really answer a question I have in the guide, is there a push limit on ransom for troops?
    The pushing rules apply the same to any one way transfer of resources - whether it be to pay off a ransom, a village transfer, etc. Is that what you were getting at?

Default sphere vs torus

Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    How do I sign up?

The world map is a sphere, that is, it wraps. For simplicities sake it is often treated as a Cartesian plane, and each of the quadrants in game reflects a quadrant on the plane, as follows:
    err, um, I hate to raise the nerdiness level of this discussion, but I think technically, the travian worlds are topologically toruses (tori), not spheres. In a sphere, going across the north pole, you would go from (0,399) to (0,400) to (+-400,399), NOT (0,-400)

same deal with those old great games like asteroids and maelstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by traviler View Post
    err, um, I hate to raise the nerdiness level of this discussion, but I think technically, the travian worlds are topologically toruses (tori), not spheres. In a sphere, going across the north pole, you would go from (0,399) to (0,400) to (+-400,399), NOT (0,-400)

same deal with those old great games like asteroids and maelstrom.
    Bleh. Totally missed that.

Thanks.

Cool

Here's one for you. I have two villages (A & B), and one has troops that I train (A) and send to a second (B) to keep from losing them in raids. If I demolish village (A), what happens to all of the troops I have from (A) in village (B)? Will they survive in the second village and will I able to control them send them out on raids and reins to other villages now the village that they came from no longer exists??

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy View Post
    Here's one for you. I have two villages (A & B), and one has troops that I train (A) and send to a second (B) to keep from losing them in raids. If I demolish village (A), what happens to all of the troops I have from (A) in village (B)? Will they survive in the second village and will I able to control them send them out on raids and reins to other villages now the village that they came from no longer exists??
    I believe that the troops from village A will no longer exists.