View Poll Results: When should Server 1 restart?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Early July

10 25.00%
  • Late July

6 15.00%
  • Early August

4 10.00%
  • Late August

2 5.00%
  • Early September

18 45.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server 1 Restart Push

Default Server 1 Restart Push

UPDATE 6/20:

Yesterday I added a poll to this post to allow the community an opportunity to express when they believe Us1 should restart. These are just estimates of about when the server should restart but it should be remembered that HQ ultimately decides when a server will restart. This is simply an opportunity to express our preference and lend support to Hudson's efforts on our behalf.

When I created this poll I endorsed early September as a start period. This should allow enough time for s2 to run to completion (or close to it, at best it is an estimate). It would also mark the end of "summer" in the U.S, a time when many people are spending time with their families and taking vacations.

On the other side of the issue are those who have been planning this from very early on who would like to see a restart as soon as possible. I sympathize with the position but I also recognize that interest in early September goes beyond those currently on s2.

Another wrinkle was added when Hudson reminded us about the Birthday Special usually being in September. When I created this poll I completely forgot about that. This likely makes early September more difficult to achieve.

In that time Us6 has also had an announced restart on June 27th. If HQ holds to pattern this would mean there would not be another restart on the U.S domain until August.

Arguments for a later restart:

• Complete summer vacation so players with family have more time
    • Complete s2 so more players can join (some only play 1 server at a time due to time or financial restrictions)

Arugments Against a Later Restart
    • Difficulty in keeping player interest for those not currently playing a server
    • End long planning period

Taking into account the birthday server, Us6 restart and the concerns of those wishing to start earlier, Mid to late August is probably the best bet overall. I think while early September might be the most preferred (at time of writing), those same people would at least be comfortable with a later August date as being close enough. Many schools start at the end of August (at least in my area) and so most vacations and the like should be completed by that last week of August. It may be a little hectic for those who are parents but it would certainly appear to be a superior option to a any sort of July or early August restart.

Please make up your own mind and cast a vote. The idea behind this is to find out what would work best for the community and hopefully influence HQ's decision with Hudson as our advocate. The more people who vote the greater the impact, particularly given how quiet the forums are these days.

Original Post:
    So the Server 1 restart appears to be turning into a competitive and fun round of Travian. The best players of the U.S Domain are gathering for what some have described as the superbowl of U.S Travian. While I have been absent for several years now this upcoming round would appear to be the most exciting in years.

Since I returned I joined s2 and it took a couple of months but I found a fantastic team in the form of SW. It reminded my of why I used to love this game so much. We have a great team and we would love to join s1 in some way to since this round is shaping up to what Travian should be like.

However, we have already come so far on our current round. Plans will drop in about 16 days and we have engaged in a lot of prep to build the Wonder. We want to see this through and many are wary about starting a second server.

I don't know how other players involved would feel nor do I know what the current HQ plans are but I was wondering if there might be a chance to push the s1 restart a bit. The more time s2 has to move to completion the more likely we would be able to participate. Obviously others want to play and the 40ish players we might bring along isn't reason enough to delay for a long period. But on the off chance that the restart could be delayed even by an extra week increases the likilhood of our full participation.

Any thoughts from the rest of the community about the s1 restart being a little bit later instead of very soon?
    Last edited by BlackBlade; 06-20-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added Update

I support this idea. I definitely want to join us1 not having to worry much about us2. Also the extra amount of players will give you guys (the travian team) some extra funds, just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeath View Post
    If anyone is looking for a preformed team to join up with please feel free to apply
    Quote Originally Posted by lethaljimmy View Post
    1. FwB was not a preformed team.
    Battle Reports:
    Finals 2016:
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/444870c3228
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/44487179c06

I agree with this, would rather have US2 be free to join us on US1.

I know there are a number of us predicting / hoping for a late July / early August restart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

I'd be a little happier with September, I think. But not a huge enough difference to matter.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

The coming round of S1 is, for US players, shaping up to be OUR tournie. There were servers already ongoing when we decided to put this together, and I would LOVE to see TG give those who were already committed when the intent was announced the chance to play.

September. Let S2 finish first, so those who want to join in on S1 can.
    Leader of KoN (S5), TLDRDTX (S3), CIN and PaN (2016 tournie)
    NI!

A little bit of physics / math to follow:

more = merrier.

If a September start allows more people to participate I am all for it. Many of us have summer plans and that may hinder some from playing.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

If s1 is going to be the "superbowl" of servers as everyone says, then these "superbowl" players should be able to multitask and play 2 servers at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerzi View Post
    The coming round of S1 is, for US players, shaping up to be OUR tournie. There were servers already ongoing when we decided to put this together, and I would LOVE to see TG give those who were already committed when the intent was announced the chance to play.

September. Let S2 finish first, so those who want to join in on S1 can.
    I agree September would be the best option. Given the mostly positive feedback I have added a poll with various options as to the general period in which the server should restart. I urge everyone to vote, even if they don't agree with me or others that it should be later.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    If s1 is going to be the "superbowl" of servers as everyone says, then these "superbowl" players should be able to multitask and play 2 servers at the same time.
    Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should. For some it might be a time issue, for others a monetary one. The fact is that by calling it a superbowl it is a question of the general skill level. Time and money constraints are not a reflection of a players skill level and shouldn't be use to diminish the abiliities of others.

I'd love for it to start later after summer, like esrly September. The more people participating the more exciting the round will be. Plus the bragging rights to win the travian "Superbowl" server would be enough to get even more interest in the server, and bring out more competitiveness

A lot of people can do two at a time, but that doesn't mean they are just as effective as doing only one.
    If anyone is looking for a preformed team to join up with please feel free to apply
    Battle Reports:
    Finals 2016:

Agreed i know i speak for many of our team in SW on S2 that if we can hold off for a little we could easily bring 30-40 very skilled players with.

Quote Originally Posted by crazytrx View Post
    very skilled players
    At first I thought you wanted me to join your team once again, but then you said this
    Battle Reports:
    Finals 2016:

Quote Originally Posted by ArabChuckNorris View Post
    At first I thought you wanted me to join your team once again, but then you said this
    Let's leave the politicking to the embassies, yeah? If the CM takes note of this thread, it might just be used as evidence to be able to bring the wishes of the community to fruition.

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

I can ask, generally server starts are planned well in advance its not as easy as just asking for it to be delayed.

I have emailed the HQ team member who deals with server starts asking if its possible for a September restart.
    CM M.Hudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Let's leave the politicking to the embassies, yeah? If the CM takes note of this thread, it might just be used as evidence to be able to bring the wishes of the community to fruition.
    It was just a joke :P
    Battle Reports:
    Finals 2016:

Maybe you can enlighten me because obviosuly Im not a superbowl player if I can't understand this.. 1.) S2 is a bust server just like all the other US servers, it shouldn't take much time at all to build a good account on there. 2.) Post day 200 isn't the goal to smashy smash into the WW and then just set up trade routes to WW- again i dont see the time consumption. 3.) The beggining of the server you just sim and gold abuse to get that second village- again not much time consumption.

BUT if you all you superbowl players want early Sepetmeber, then I'll join the bandwagon because all I want in life is to be a Travian Superbowl Player.

Honestly, early September will be the only way I can play. I've been putting in 60 hour weeks at work and it's not gonna let up at all come July. Once Sep hits I'll be able to take a few breaks and also afford a Travian-capable phone with all the overtime. I know you don't care (though you kinda do, one of those really weird things about the company) but when I play I buy at least one 600 pack of Gold a month...and a Sep start is the only way I can play at all.

As for football - I can do Travian while watching football. I know it's cliche but many plays last about, what, 20 seconds? Multitasking is pretty easy. And having watched Packers games since the early 90s I can tell you that commercial breaks have only gotten far more frequent.

FWIW I am VERY interested in coming back at that time. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I know it's summer and there's no school in the U.S. etc and all those arguments. But if we're honest here, we'd admit that while the kids are in school that's basically the only time us parents have for Travian and suchlike.
    Last edited by Lurk; 06-19-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

I support a later start date if it gets more people involved which it appears that starting later will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    We learnt ... from [Kimmie]!
    Quote Originally Posted by FA Belladonna View Post
    Kurtz, the horse is dead, please stop beating it.

HQ have responded:

The answer is maybe.

As background: servers get planned and scheduled in advance and S1 has not yet been allocated a slot. September is the month of Special Server starts to celebrate Travians Birthday (as per previous years) so it might be possible to fit a normal server start early September and push the special until late September. There does have to be separation between them and other EN game worlds starting. Ultimately HQ have not yet finalised plans for September but please understand that its a little more complicated then just delaying a server start, there are many pieces to the puzzle to make a game world work.
    CM M.Hudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Community Moderator Mod Deadpool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CM M.Hudson View Post
    HQ have responded:

The answer is maybe.

As background: servers get planned and scheduled in advance and S1 has not yet been allocated a slot. September is the month of Special Server starts to celebrate Travians Birthday (as per previous years) so it might be possible to fit a normal server start early September and push the special until late September. There does have to be separation between them and other EN game worlds starting. Ultimately HQ have not yet finalised plans for September but please understand that its a little more complicated then just delaying a server start, there are many pieces to the puzzle to make a game world work.
    We should be glad that our voice is being heard now. I am sure everyone will appreciate this.

I am currently on S2 right now. I don't care if you call it a "bust server", but when I play, I stick to one account and play it through with focus on that account. Bickering over the playing of two accounts at a time and wether that makes you a good player is not what this thread is about. Many players, simply, will not play two accounts at one time. I respect that and I think its the dedicated and efficient choice. So lets just leave that at that.

I understand it may not be easy for HQ and that there are many pieces to the puzzle. I will appreciate any work or consideration by HQ to push this server start so that us from S2 can get involved without becoming overwhelmed by two accounts and... that crazy little thing called real life that seems to get in the way... I personally, will not play the S1 restart unless it is pushed off until September. I understand that players are waiting to get started on this server but from what it sounds like, everybody really just wants a good competition and more players is more competition. I think pushing off the start date is a great idea.

HQ have responded:

The answer is maybe.

I understand the need to balance starts. I had forgotten about the birthday special, in the sense I associated it with the fall but not September specifically. It is possible late August might work equally as well if early September was a bit tough on the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Deadpool View Post
    We should be glad that our voice is being heard now. I am sure everyone will appreciate this.

I definitely do. HQ has at least to me felt disassociated with the community most of the time based on what I've read has happened while I was away. The notable expection being the decision to split Kingdoms off instead of being a replacement to T4.4 which is something I think I and many others saw with a sigh of relief. If this effort succeeds I think it will be a huge boost to community confidence in HQ, which I think is very much needed especially when considering the looming potential changes related to the April Fools annoucement. It would seem T5 for "Legends" is on the way, or at least T4.5 to start with updates akin to T3.5 and I hope this receptiveness to the community wants and needs indicates good things to come.
    The Wicked Defense General

As one of the leaders of what I'm told is the largest group returning to the S1 server, I would like to protest this.

1. Why would TG change a server start date for the convenience of 30 - 40 people? I see no reason that those 30 or 40 shouldnt be capable of starting one while finishing another. If they are of the calibur of player we are expecting on this server, they should have done that many times before. Having a server finishing, even one as big a dud as s2 appears to be, allieviates the bordom of early game.

2. Many of us have agreed that there are entirely too many .us servers running, depleting the pool of available players making the game less. Enough with special servers, birthday servers already!

3. We have been recruiting and planning for this serve restart for quite some time. A later start just makes people start other servers, or other games entirely or drift away out of boredom. Let get it in gear and start ASAP!! We want to play!!
    Last edited by Quelaana; 06-19-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    S1 R8 SIO - Win
    S4 R8 SIO - Win
    S3 R9 FWB - Win.

So finishing S1 early, like we did, was apparently now not the best option
    S1r3: Loqutis - TEG
    S1r4: Muffin Bluffin - TEG
    S1r5: on a "impossible" solo in TRP (Disavowed)
    S1r6: Silly Froggy.... Hammers R 4 Attack
    S1r7: Radioactv Anvil CARE
    S1r10: An Angry Beaver BTDT
    S5r4: Cowboy
    S7r2: Thunder Lizard
    S7r3: ohhhmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Quelaana View Post
    As one of the leaders of what I'm told is the largest group returning to the S1 server, I would like to protest this.

1. Why would TG change a server start date for the convenience of 30 - 40 people? I see no reason that those 30 or 40 shouldnt be capable of starting one while finishing another. If they are of the calibur of player we are expecting on this server, they should have done that many times before. Having a server finishing, even one as big a dud as s2 appears to be, allieviates the bordom of early game.

2. Many of us have agreed that there are entirely too many .us servers running, depleting the pool of available players making the game less. Enough with special servers, birthday servers already!

3. We have been recruiting and planning for this serve restart for quite some time. A later start just makes people start other servers, or other games entirely or drift away out of boredom. Let get it in gear and start ASAP!! We want to play!!
    1. Looking back at recent regular server (excluding speed / ROA) starts:

Us3 = 2/3
    Us4 = 4/23
    Us6 = 6/27

On this basis alone Us1 would be up for restart around the middle to end of August. The fact that s1 is the last server to have started prior to plans shaping up for this "superbowl" server is simply another reason to wait.

I don't know what kind of overlap already exists between those who have committed to s1 and those that are on s2, but I would assume that the net gain to s1 would be larger than the ~40 players overall. Others support a later date as well, so it clearly isn't just for the benefit of 30-40 players.

I also don't think early game is "boring" as you say. It is full of unknowns. Will my 5 Mace run into a wall of phalanx and die? Will I get the cropper I want? Is there anyone lurking in my area that I don't know about? Will I suddenly be raided? The game gets predictable as it goes on. Sure the stakes can get higher but you know a hell of a lot more than the early days. It runs a little slow in terms of buildup sure but I wouldn't call it boring.

2. I think the .US servers should be merged into .com (and all the English langauge domains for that matter) but that is a seperate discussison. The Birthday servers also serve the purpose of beta testing new ideas, which I think is critical to the future of the game. I also think given the style of play it might attract different players in general, though there is undoubtably some player loss from other servers but I don't think has had an outsized impact relative to the general decline in numbers. Regardless I think all of that goes beyond the scope of the Us1 restart.

3. This is the one point you made that I can agree with to some degree. Though in light of the fact it was generally decided to skip the Us4 restart weakens the argument. If it was of such urgency to start playing, then it should have been followed through with.
    Last edited by BlackBlade; 06-19-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    The Wicked Defense General

September would be better for my group as well. So this affects at least 100 players.

Also dont forget alot of people make plans for the summer as well so this can be convenient to others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    September would be better for my group as well. So this affects at least 100 players.

Also dont forget alot of people make plans for the summer as well so this can be convenient to others as well.
    Since when is playing Travian convenient?

Just want to point out that this inherently shows a bias.

There is more than 1 team looking to come over and at least 2 representatives indicated a preference for a later start.

There are also players like this in the mix:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Honestly, early September will be the only way I can play.
    FWIW I am VERY interested in coming back at that time. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    So there needs to be some balance; hence the poll.

The beginning of this actually runs counter to your first point. You're advocating for a decrease in servers overall yet express a desire to start another server while others are running rather than consolidating.

The rest of this quote is probably better addressed in a separate thread.
    Although I indicated a preference for early Sept in the poll to allow those from s2 to join more easily, I personally see early Sept as the latest for the reasons you've listed. If the answer is a maybe as indicated below,
    HQ have responded:

The answer is maybe.

As background: servers get planned and scheduled in advance and S1 has not yet been allocated a slot. September is the month of Special Server starts to celebrate Travians Birthday (as per previous years) so it might be possible to fit a normal server start early September and push the special until late September.
    I'd rather an August restart. I also recognise 'beggars can't be chosers' when it comes to requesting restart dates and ultimately, we're bound by the constraints of HQ.

I would like to think the majority of those who advocated for September would be in a similar position but I obviously don't speak for or represent them with this statement.

An expected response since you got rejected when you attempted to recruit SW team (including me).

Maybe you can enlighten me because obviosuly Im not a superbowl player if I can't understand this.. 1.) S2 is a bust server just like all the other US servers, it shouldn't take much time at all to build a good account on there. 2.) Post day 200 isn't the goal to smashy smash into the WW and then just set up trade routes to WW- again i dont see the time consumption. 3.) The beggining of the server you just sim and gold abuse to get that second village- again not much time consumption.

BUT if you all you superbowl players want early Sepetmeber, then I'll join the bandwagon because all I want in life is to be a Travian Superbowl Player.
    The server is 'over', the winner can pretty much be decided already, but just because it's a 'bust' server doesn't mean it doesn't have any skilled players on there.
    Last edited by ArabChuckNorris; 06-19-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    Battle Reports:
    Finals 2016:

An expected response since you got rejected when you attempted to recruit SW team (including me).

The server is 'over', the winner can pretty much be decided already, but just because it's a 'bust' server doesn't mean it doesn't have any skilled players on there.
    Thank you for proving everything I have said thus far. If the server is "over" then theres no need to postpone s1.

Thank you for proving everything I have said thus far. If the server is "over" then theres no need to postpone s1.
    Building up a WW isn't for just one player though..
    Battle Reports:
    Finals 2016:

As someone already mentioned, we postponed starting when S4 started because there were players who were simply too tired from having played finals to jump immediately into another server. It would be a tad hypocritical to not consider the wishes of those who are actually actively playing another server at this time.

I recognize that some can jump in to multiple servers at a time. That down time sucks ***. I am in awe of people who play 5 servers at once without batting an eye. But for a LOT of players, more than one server is NOT feasible.

People who cannot afford more than a certain amount of gold per month. People who are not leaders. People who do not have time consuming jobs that limit their online time. People that do not have duals. People who would rather spend the summer playing with their kids

It's a few weeks that some are asking for. And those few weeks translate into teammates for all sides who have been given a better work/life/play balance.

ETA: Thank you, CM Hudson. You've become a true advocate for this domain, and the wishes of the players here. Some here have felt ignored, even slighted, by HQ over the years. I appreciate your efforts, very much.
    Last edited by Kerzi; 06-20-2017 at 12:58 AM.
    Leader of KoN (S5), TLDRDTX (S3), CIN and PaN (2016 tournie)
    NI!

This part is not true. I never rejected Quelaana's offer. I never reposnded, because I was waiting to see how things would pan out. I brought the offer to our alliance and we discussed it. There were a variety of issues.
    a) Some didnt want to be playing on 2 servers at the same time (I fall into this category, as my RL work load is huge. I can only keep up with one server).
    b) Some players again for a similar reason as above, but didnt want to wast Gold on 2 servers.
    c) Some people had concerns about what role I would have in this union, and if they would be represented properly.
    d) Others wanted to take a break in between servers.

Me Im still waiting to see if things change or if we will be able finish US2 in time. That being said...ACN..you will always have a place on my team, even if Quelaana dont love you.

Anyway, there were different issues, and people didnt want to split the team up. One the largest was the start date of US1. If the start date changes, then increases the possibility people wanting to join.

I agree with ACN. Not our fault its a "busted" server...we brought our A game, the other teams should have done the same. We have some very skilled players on our team, as Im sure many can attest.

Im sorry....I disagree with several points as already pointed out by Scarecrow. Furthermore, the skill of players is not directly proportional to their availability or ability to play multiple servers at once....just saying

-Doc

I agree with delusional. There is an old saying we use at work, Time kills all deals. I would prefer an earlier start than September. There have been a lot of leaders who have put time and effort into putting this server together. I have seen some people already losing interest as the restart is now being talked about into September. I necroed a ton of old players to come back to the game over this and I fear some will lose interest in the wait. This could just be that we started setting up this server right after s3 ended around Christmas. So maybe this factor is just on our end but I will say that I promise it will do the same to others in another 2 months. This server will bring the gold and I would like to see travian do it earlier rather than later.

This is just my 2 cents but I suspect some trolling over it. Que the comments on "your a bad leader if you can not keep people interested for 2 and a half months waiting while not doing anything".

ACN, Que tried to recruit you? I highly doubt that, remember what i have said about seeking attention. On S1 you might not like the results of that. You have seen it in the past and I am only a sliver of what the trolls there can do. Just some advice, don't lie and dial it down just a bit. Have fun but don't push into the false stuff.
    Last edited by lethaljimmy; 06-20-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    US1:
    R4 Poopydiapers Rebels and Grassy
    R6 Lethal Jimmy: Ethos http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2303146e4a1
    R7 Julius Pleaser
    US2: R6 Churchill Downs: Bacon (dual) http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2354796f9e4 The rebuild http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2354849ce46
    US3: R8 Evolution http://travian-reports.net/us/report/223457ba7b3
    US6: R4 Snowflake - GAH EGR (wish I had saved the report)
    US7: R3 Lethaljimmy - ACME (EGH should have saved these ones too)

ACN, Que tried to recruit you? I highly doubt that, remember what i have said about seeking attention. On S1 you might not like the results of that. You have seen it in the past and I am only a sliver of what the trolls there can do. Just some advice, don't lie and dial it down just a bit. Have fun but don't push into the false stuff.
    Well she offered my team, hence why I joke around about it.
    Battle Reports:
    Finals 2016:

At the end of the day, I think an averaged approach to the poll results are likely to be most fair representation of player interest. At the very least, this poll is evidence for the CM to be able to try push on our behalves and we should use it as such.

If s2 really does have 100 plus players they are looking to bring across, even a small portion airing their opinion here would make a difference to the results. Same for the current teams looking to start on s1.

While I have no plans to play on S1, I voted for early August. I'd rather not have a short gap between the S1 start and the birthday special start so there are more people available to play on the birthday server (where I do plan to play). Heck, I'd even prefer if S1 was pushed to October/November to maximize the people on the birthday special.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

...or s1 can be the birthday server again like they were a few years ago for the Care round.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison