Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Counsel appointed for Russia investigation

Default Special Counsel appointed for Russia investigation

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/u...tion.html?_r=0

Interesting notes:
    * As a special counsel, Mueller cannot be fired or otherwise relieved of his position. That was probably done as sort of a middle-finger to Trump after his firing of Comey.
    * The White House, and Congress, were given short notice (~30 minutes, from what I've heard) before the announcement, and were only told after the order was already signed.
    * As a special counsel, Mueller will have the power to subpoena Trump's tax returns (oh, imagine how infuriated that would make Trump...)

Also of note: A brief clip of Mitch McConnell's reaction to reporters asking for comment on the special counsel appointment:

If that look doesn't scream "Oh <expletive>, I'm in trouble...", then I don't know what does.

Did you link the NYT, which had a fake article just last week as a source?

Salty wishcasting.

Hopefully this is quick to prevent economic damage.

Stocks are already selling off today.

Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/u...tion.html?_r=0

Interesting notes:
    * As a special counsel, Mueller cannot be fired or otherwise relieved of his position. That was probably done as sort of a middle-finger to Trump after his firing of Comey.
    * The White House, and Congress, were given short notice (~30 minutes, from what I've heard) before the announcement, and were only told after the order was already signed.
    * As a special counsel, Mueller will have the power to subpoena Trump's tax returns (oh, imagine how infuriated that would make Trump...)

Also of note: A brief clip of Mitch McConnell's reaction to reporters asking for comment on the special counsel appointment:

If that look doesn't scream "Oh <expletive>, I'm in trouble...", then I don't know what does.
    Suddenly you think it's OK to pocketsand your fellow countrymen because you don't agree.

That's the problem everyone!! People like Woo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

What's the sand? Diverting from what? This is just the wheels of your system grinding on. At last. If he did nothing, you should be glad. When it gets to hundreds of completed investigations like Benghazi, and there's yet more coming, start whining.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Investigations like benghazi... what happened over that?
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Investigations like benghazi... what happened over that?
    Nothing. In spite of hundreds of investigations. Because it was a beat up. And... If you seriously still think it was worth all the effort then you must think this is at least twice as necessary.

Investigation against the super rich and highly powerful politicians is not going to work in america, like it didn't work well before.

Like the Clintons, each in his own problem.

Like Bush and co. who falsified WMDS.

It is really funny that people don't want stability in the US, and want to replace Trump with his trump card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Nothing. In spite of hundreds of investigations. Because it was a beat up. And... If you seriously still think it was worth all the effort then you must think this is at least twice as necessary.
    You mean the lives lost were not worthy of investigation? The fact that HRC admitted it was a planned terrorist attack to her daughter via e-mail while telling the public it was because of a YouTube video is not a big deal. Interesting reality you live in.

Unfortunately, wikileaks is not a source!

If it was a source many people would be in trouble...

You mean the lives lost were not worthy of investigation?
    They were worthy of an investigation. They were not worthy of ten official investigations, which the Republican party did purely as a political witchhunt for anything to incriminate Clinton and Obama over -- and they still found nothing to press even the slightest of charges over, and instead had to twist things to make them look bad in attack ads and hitpiece articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invest...enghazi_attack

Not only that, but if you're actually concerned about what happened at Benghazi (rather than trying to callously use their lives to score political points), then it's the Republicans you should be going after, as they were the ones routinely cutting back on funding for foreign embassies (and their security) and voting down heightened embassy security measures for years before that attack happened.

http://www.bluedotdaily.com/sorry-re...-not-hillarys/

You mean the lives lost were not worthy of investigation? The fact that HRC admitted it was a planned terrorist attack to her daughter via e-mail while telling the public it was because of a YouTube video is not a big deal. Interesting reality you live in.
    So what you think people had responsibility for is all that matters? That the entire justice system which spent years and many millions on it decided, is worth nothing. Your conspiracy hat over rides? In that case he should be in jail and impeached long ago. For actual treason. Because most of the country, not just a few random obsessives think he did that! How can you not see that what he seems to have done is far worse? Every time he picks his phone up he makes it worse. Your cognitive dissonance is extreme.

That the entire justice system which spent years and many millions on it decided, is worth nothing.
    Not one person from Obama's DOJ investegated Hillary Clinton. Not one penny was spent.

Edit, because I didn't see this leftist's subhuman post:

official investigations

they were the ones routinely cutting back on funding for foreign embassies

bluedotdaily.com
    Which investigation was approved by Obama's DOJ?

You are actually claiming congress determines the exact way the department spends the money? So the literally hundreds of times Ambassador Stevens asked Hillary Clinton for more protection (which Clinton denied every time), congress denied them? You would have to know less than nothing about government spending to claim this with a straight face.

"Bluedotdaily" is not a source. Haha, do you actually think it's a source?

Last edited by cofc; 05-19-2017 at 12:45 AM.

They were worthy of an investigation. They were not worthy of ten official investigations, which the Republican party did purely as a political witchhunt for anything to incriminate Clinton and Obama over -- and they still found nothing to press even the slightest of charges over, and instead had to twist things to make them look bad in attack ads and hitpiece articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invest...enghazi_attack

Not only that, but if you're actually concerned about what happened at Benghazi (rather than trying to callously use their lives to score political points), then it's the Republicans you should be going after, as they were the ones routinely cutting back on funding for foreign embassies (and their security) and voting down heightened embassy security measures for years before that attack happened.

http://www.bluedotdaily.com/sorry-re...-not-hillarys/
    Ah hahahahahaha. Jesus, did you really have the nerve to say she was the victim of a political witch hunt? Are you effing kidding me?

What about an investigation into Trump and his "advisors" sitting around a dinner table deciding to unleash a raid in the Middle East his first week in office, with no proper planning in which a navy seal was killed?

It amazes me what little it takes to fire up the fake rage from the right. Trump has been one embarrassing disaster after another, and he's the one you defend to the hilt. I can only imagine the posts that would be written here if HRC or Obama did 1/10 of what Trump has screwed up. And then whined about how the media treats him. What a schmuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    and he's the one you defend to the hilt.
    I've gotta say, this really is what's surprising me so much about this last year or so. Bush didn't get even half this much fanatical devotion during wartime from the Republican base.

Trump is just such a bizarre hill for the Republican party to choose to die on, yet they seem intent on tying themselves rather tightly to that sinking ship...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    unleash a raid in the Middle East his first week in office, with no proper planning
    they seem intent on tying themselves rather tightly to that sinking ship...
    I love wishcasting.

HRC and Obama did a lot of illegal things, and it was all dismissed here, despite actual evidence.

HRC and Obama did a lot of illegal things, and it was all dismissed here, despite actual evidence.
    You don't expect leftists to be consistent, logical, or intelligent, do you?

Just pointing out the facts lol. But no, as proven every day.
    Speaking of dying on hills, the Democrats died on on hillary. No one's fault but their own for running such a corrupt woman for president. Even Biden knew better and that guy is a potato.
    Last edited by The Blazin1; 05-19-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Speaking of dying on hills, the Democrats died on on hillary. No one's fault but their own for running such a corrupt woman for president.
    I do agree here. Between the 2 major parties it seemed a choice between who you thought would do more harm rather than who would do more good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I do agree here. Between the 2 major parties it seemed a choice between who you thought would do more harm rather than who would do more good.
    Hillary was also consorting with a man who just plead guilty to sending nudes to a child.

No, Hillary was no even close to the same league as Donnie. She is a true politician an far too hawkish. Both traits I despise. But in terms of actions and ethics she stands head and shoulders above. She is no more perfect than anyone and came with the baggage and experience of SoS. She got no credit for it, even though it is the single most important ability either of them had. She got penalised for it big time. Even the parts that were not her responsibility and that most others would have done the same.
    I will not even enter into the financial stuff because clearly, finances do not count at all or Donnie would not have made the ticket.

Like it or not, her witch hunt was far more developed. In the real meaning of the term, not his whining ignorance. Now, those who rode the Hillary attack seem to cling tightly in case they might have to admit responsibility for the current train wreck. It might ruin your country, so grow up snowflakes.

You went from being able to hold your head up on the world, even if you were embarrassed to have a black president, to being a total laughing stock. So much so that even I am over it. I don't want any more. I want to be able to hang **** on you like before. But now it's bullying because even little old Aus has more legitimate standing.

I am also over the stupid conspiracy **** about Russia. Just get the damn truth out and be done.

in terms of actions and ethics she stands head and shoulders above
    Not sure breaking multiple federal laws knowingly is a good thing.

But in terms of actions and ethics she stands head and shoulders above.
    ISIS/ISIL is considered ethical by you?

She was a major player in creating them!

No, Hillary was no even close to the same league as Donnie. She is a true politician an far too hawkish. Both traits I despise. But in terms of actions and ethics she stands head and shoulders above. She is no more perfect than anyone and came with the baggage and experience of SoS. She got no credit for it, even though it is the single most important ability either of them had. She got penalised for it big time. Even the parts that were not her responsibility and that most others would have done the same.
    I will not even enter into the financial stuff because clearly, finances do not count at all or Donnie would not have made the ticket.

Like it or not, her witch hunt was far more developed. In the real meaning of the term, not his whining ignorance. Now, those who rode the Hillary attack seem to cling tightly in case they might have to admit responsibility for the current train wreck. It might ruin your country, so grow up snowflakes.
    As much as I dislike agreeing with Rokchick, this is absolutely spot-on.

Not to mention that for one of the things she has been most heavily criticized about, the attack on the embassy in Benghazi, the blame lies at least as heavily on the Republican congressmen (via their budget cuts and voting-down security measures) who made it their duty to villainize her after-the-fact, as it does on the State Department.

As much as I dislike agreeing with Rokchick, this is absolutely spot-on.

Not to mention that for one of the things she has been most heavily criticized about, the attack on the embassy in Benghazi, the blame lies at least as heavily on the Republican congressmen (via their budget cuts and voting-down security measures) who made it their duty to villainize her after-the-fact, as it does on the State Department.
    Sure, blame the Republicans when the Democrats had majority lol. Oh the irony in the posts you guys write.

the attack on the embassy in Benghazi, the blame lies at least as heavily on the Republican congressmen
    That is literally false. Why do you hate facts?

You are actually claiming congress determines the exact way the department spends the money? So the literally hundreds of times Ambassador Stevens asked Hillary Clinton for more protection (which Clinton denied every time), congress denied them? You would have to know less than nothing about government spending to claim this with a straight face.

Default thanks

Sure, blame the Republicans when the Democrats had majority lol. Oh the irony in the posts you guys write.
    thanks man

Who the hell is this guy? ^^

Who the hell is this guy? ^^
    They are responding to your response to Woden. Odd.

Comey released a statement today that Trump did not try and obstruct justice and that he personally told Trump three times that Trump was not under investigation.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

-breathes in-

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

So Trump just wanted to say you are fired one more time?

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Comey released a statement today that Trump did not try and obstruct justice and that he personally told Trump three times that Trump was not under investigation.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

-breathes in-

Umm...

The President then returned to the topic of Mike Flynn, saying, “He is a good guy and has been through a lot.” He repeated that Flynn hadn’t done anything wrong on his calls with the Russians, but had misled the Vice President. He then said, “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.” I replied only that “he is a good guy.” (In fact, I had a positive experience dealing with Mike Flynn when he was a colleague as Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency at the beginning of my
    term at FBI.) I did not say I would “let this go.”
    Obstruction of Justice.

In an abrupt shift, he turned the conversation to FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, saying he hadn’t brought up “the McCabe thing” because I had said McCabe was honorable, although McAuliffe was close to the Clintons and had given him (I think he meant Deputy Director McCabe’s wife) campaign money. Although I didn’t understand why the President was bringing this up, I repeated that Mr. McCabe was an honorable person.
    Sounds like conveying a threat.

A few moments later, the President said, “I need loyalty, I expect loyalty.” I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the awkward silence that followed. We simply looked at each other in silence. The conversation then moved on, but he returned to the subject near the end of our dinner.

At one point, I explained why it was so important that the FBI and the Department of Justice be independent of the White House. I said it was a paradox: Throughout history, some Presidents have decided that because “problems” come from Justice, they should try to hold the Department close. But blurring those boundaries ultimately makes the problems worse by undermining public trust in the institutions and their work.

Near the end of our dinner, the President returned to the subject of my job, saying he was very glad I wanted to stay, adding that he had heard great things about me from Jim Mattis, Jeff Sessions, and many others. He then said, “I need loyalty.” I replied, “You will always get honesty from me.” He paused and then said, “That’s what I want, honest loyalty.” I paused, and then said, “You will get that from me.” As I wrote in the memo I created immediately after the dinner, it is possible we understood the phrase “honest loyalty” differently, but I decided it
    ouldn’t be productive to push it further. The term – honest loyalty – had helped end a very awkward conversation and my explanations had made clear what he should expect.
    Demanding loyalty from the FBI director is concerning.

And at multiple times he asked if Comey wanted to keep his job.

Overall, Trump was trying to control Comey, and then fired him when he realized he couldn't.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...239253?cid=apn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.

Politico?

Politico?
    Blaze that's the transcript of the statement Comey released. You can get it from numerous sources, including politico.

Are you disputing that what Sapient posted is the transcript of the statement Comey released? Or are you just trying to not actually have to deal with the substance of the statement?

(You'll note that Comey does indeed confirm he told the president that he was not under personal investigation, but Comey does not make any statement about whether there was obstruction of justice; that is not his place to decide.)

Are disputing that Comey has said previously that he did not feel threatened? Or that Trump did not try and stop Comey from investigating the rest of the claim?

Are disputing that Comey has said previously that he did not feel threatened?
    I have no recollection of this, so if you do, you may kindly provide a link.
    Or that Trump did not try and stop Comey from investigating the rest of the claim?
    The rest of what claim? I'm not sure what you're saying.

I really can't believe the GOP spin on this. "I can't answer that" is NOT clearing anyone of anything.

I really can't believe the GOP spin on this. "I can't answer that" is NOT clearing anyone of anything.
    The two people NYT and WaPo said were pressured to drop the Russia investigation of Trump (that literally doesn't exist) by Trump said under oath, "In my time of service, which is interacting with the president of the United States or anybody in his administration, I have never been pressured.”

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

-breathes in-