Thread: American Theocracy

Default American Theocracy

With all the rage on Christianity and Trump just gave Church's more power, do you think this has the hallmarks of America going to be under Theoratic rule?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    With all the rage on Christianity and Trump just gave Church's more power, do you think this has the hallmarks of America going to be under Theoratic rule?
    Nope.

There are a number of people with strong evangelical Christian fundamentalist and even Dominionist leanings in his inner circle. Mike Pence has been very active in imposing Christian moral teachings in such areas as homosexuality and abortion in the secular state.

I found this article interesting, and rather on topic for your question.

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/15/...in-us-history/
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Meh...religion and the State were never effectively separated. We are, as our children dutifully recite in unison in all state-funded public schools, "one nation, under God." The courts have ruled in favor of the continuation of the phrase "in God we trust" on our currency. Our institutions can already cite religion as an excuse to legally discriminate (a la the "Hobby Lobby" decision).

At least Trump is more honest about it and doesn't bother playing false lip service to secularism.

Better would be: actual secularism.

Why would it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    legally discriminate (a la the "Hobby Lobby" decision)
    Confirmed for having no idea what that case was or the ruling.

Meh...religion and the State were never effectively separated. We are, as our children dutifully recite in unison in all state-funded public schools, "one nation, under God." The courts have ruled in favor of the continuation of the phrase "in God we trust" on our currency. Our institutions can already cite religion as an excuse to legally discriminate (a la the "Hobby Lobby" decision).

At least Trump is more honest about it and doesn't bother playing false lip service to secularism.

Better would be: actual secularism.
    The pledge of allegiance is bad?
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Allegiance to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

He might want to be called saint donald in the future
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

I love how the founding fathers are right about everything except what you disagree with Blaze. The separation of church and state is one of the fundamentals underpinning the sacred text. Hence a secular state is what they wanted.

At a more basic level how do you expect to be taken seriously in the world court of opinion (yeah, it actually does matter to you) if you aren't openly secular? It is one of the reasons many Australians don't want such close ties with the US. That and the warmongering (which is surely related).
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

What do I disagree with now? Also, my experience with foreigners doesn't really allow me to care about their opinions.
    Last edited by The Blazin1; 05-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.

The pledge of allegiance is bad?
    It's bizarre. Certainly bears more resemblance to a totalitarian state than to a democratic one, but hey, if you're gonna ask people to "volunteer" for your military then ask those "volunteers" to invade random countries in the Middle East, helps if they were raised to unquestioningly support the nation state in which they happened to be born.
    Last edited by The Burninator; 05-15-2017 at 11:37 AM.

You have a problem with people supporting their nation of origin? When did it become bad to be proud of who you are and where you came from? You people want diversity so much but you expect everyone to be just like you. Is that diverse?

You have a problem with people supporting their nation of origin? When did it become bad to be proud of who you are and where you came from? You people want diversity so much but you expect everyone to be just like you. Is that diverse?
    I'm not going to dignify this with a full response -- reread my post; I helped by highlighting the key word.

democratic one
    The United States of America is not a democracy.

this also applies to literally all other countries in the world*

He's not going to dignify it with a response, he is going to respond and edit. I feel so special.
    Last edited by The Blazin1; 05-15-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Oddly enough, in many countries the citizens manage to be proud and supportive of their countries without having ritual recitations of pledges of allegiance or Loyalty Days.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Oddly enough, in many countries the citizens manage to be proud and supportive of their countries without having ritual recitations of pledges of allegiance or Loyalty Days.
    By supporting thought crimes laws and anti-speech laws? They (you) pledge allegiance to fascism.