Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RPG: The Seven Kingdoms - Game Thread

Default RPG: The Seven Kingdoms - Game Thread

Jack West, Jr.
    In support of a current research project, you have found it necessary to visit your alma mater, Trinity College, to consult some obscure inscriptions on several Sumerian clay tablets held in the college's special collections. Being between terms, the college, and the libraries, are quieter than usual, which suits you quite well.

You've been on campus for a few days and your research is going well. You've just had lunch, and are on your way back to continue your work, when you are approached by a tweedy sort of man who looks vaguely familiar. You realise that he was a student around the same time you were, just as he comes up and greets you heartily.

"West, it is you, isn't it? Haven't seen you in ages. What a godsend you are, just the chap I need to talk to."

As he rambles on about his latest dig and what he'll be teaching for the term that will soon begin, your mind wanders. You divide your attention between trying to remember his name, deciding when it will be polite to get away from him, and thinking about the distinct possibility that the cunieform inscription you were examining earlier today has been mistranslated. You absently register that he's been part of the excavation team at the Blackfriary site in County Meath and that he's becoming rather agitated about something. Suddenly you realise he's asking you a question with some urgency.

"So you will run up to Blackfriary with me, West? Just for a day or two? They've sprung this do on me, some visiting delegation that wants special attention and a fancy show. Money chaps, very important. I can't do it all myself, and you do have rather a reputation. Excitement, you know. There's hardly anyone around right now. I know it's a lot to ask, but the College's reputation is on the line, and when the Classical Studies Master said he'd seen you about, well, I knew you were the best man for it."

Lucas Hansen
    It's been a long shift at the Silver Swan, but at least it has been entertaining. In addition to the usual crowd whose knowledge of matters medieval is limited to films about King Arthur (especially the one with Nicol Williamson as Merlin) and Robin Hood (the one starring Patrick Bergin, of course), and Game of Thrones (which they read years before the TV series came out), there have actually been a few customers who seem to know their medieval history and literature. Indeed, you've been having a delightfully witty - and appropriately earthy - conversation about the early English play Gammer Gurton's Needle with one of them, in between doing the flashy bartender gig upon request. So delightful (and so earthy) in fact, that you've been wondering whether there might be a way of running into this particular patron again.

As you hand your charming conversational partner another mug of Harp ale, you are pleased to discover you're not the only one who's been wondering this. "Say, Lucas - there's a renaissance fair this weekend at Tryon Park - I'm going with a few friends... I don't suppose you'd be interested in coming along with us?"

Elliott Hunter
    You've been working hard for weeks, now, on a rather tricky piece of infiltration and information "liberation." The target's security set-up was very good. Your client is very happy. And you have enough money to pay the rent for quite a few months. And to get away for a while. Long hours at your computer, plus some crazy nights at the crapfood emporium you work at to explain where the money people see you using comes from, have made you feel crabby and itchy inside, as if every muscle in your body wants to be stretched to the edge.

Time for a good hard climb. The only question is, where? You've tried most of the routes at your skill level in southern California, and a few places in nearby states as well. You've got enough money to do a bit of travelling, if you're careful. And you are really going stir-crazy here in the city.

Eagerly you plan your trip.

Ivy Birenbaum
    Your architectural firm has won the contract to design a tourist and research complex, including a museum and state-of-the-art lab facilities, associated with a major archeological excavation site in Spain, in the foothills of the Pyrenees, north of Barcelona. The site has uncovered significant portions of a long-deserted early medieval Spanish town. Your company's winning designs - which you were instrumental in developing - have been approved by all the appropriate governmental authorities, and as senior architect on the project (and the most senior member of the firm who is fluent in Spanish) you have been asked to fly to Barcelona and follow up on the initial local contacts made during your research at the bidding stage.

After a week of negotiations with local firms, you decide you need some down time. In fact, you had planned for this, as you have been looking forward to being able to spend some of your time hiking in the mountains near the excavation site ever since your first visits.

Feeling quite pleased with your progress to date, you make plans for your hiking trip.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 05-12-2017 at 04:49 AM.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Having long hungered to see the beech wood forest of Navarre, Ivy packs a light backpack with a ground cloth, change of clothes and purchases a bus pass to Orbaiceta gateway to La Selva De Irati.

Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Lucas Hansen
    (OOC: I'm impressed that you actually went ahead and looked up an actual NYC park for your bit )

Lucas frowns, but suppresses it quickly. "I'm afraid I'll have to decline," he responds, with a sidelong glance towards his fellow barman, well within hearing range. Significant glances don't carry so well in dimly lit places, such as a poor recreation of a Medieval inn, but it's worth a try. "It's strictly forbidden for staff to fraternize with patrons in this manner."

But, he leans in as he nonchalantly pours just the right amount of whisky into a shaker, and says more quietly, "however, if there were a spatio-temporal location at which one might expect to be meet up, this would not be unwelcome."

With that, he cracks an egg open, dumping its contents into the shaker with a grimace. Eggs are gross. But people insist on these odd beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Having long hungered to see the beech wood forest of Navarre, Ivy packs a light backpack with a ground cloth, change of clothes and purchases a bus pass to Orbaiceta gateway to La Selva De Irati.
    Ivy
    It's almost a five hour bus ride from Barcelona to Orbaiceta, but you are happy to relax and enjoy the scenery. From your window, you can look north and see the peaks of the Pyrenees, their lower reaches covered in forests. It's late afternoon when you arrive, so you decide to do a bit of touristing before setting out early in the morning. You check into a modest hostel not far from the start of the Irati River trail, and wander around the area for a while, before heading back to the hostel for supper and an early night.

You wake up at dawn, refreshed and excited. Shouldering your pack, you set out. The River Trail, which leads northwest toward Lake Irabia, is a well-marked and fairly easy hike, but you don't mind easing into your adventure, and the scenery is beautiful.

It's almost noon by the time you reach the lower end of the lake, and you're ready to strike out on your own. You make a last check of your supplies, going through your mental checklist to be certain you have everything you need for a few days in the woods. Looking northeast toward Mount Orhy for your bearing, you leave the trail behind and embrace the majesty of the beeches.

(OOC: please list everything you are carrying with you into the woods.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    (OOC: I'm impressed that you actually went ahead and looked up an actual NYC park for your bit )

Lucas frowns, but suppresses it quickly. "I'm afraid I'll have to decline," he responds, with a sidelong glance towards his fellow barman, well within hearing range. Significant glances don't carry so well in dimly lit places, such as a poor recreation of a Medieval inn, but it's worth a try. "It's strictly forbidden for staff to fraternize with patrons in this manner."

But, he leans in as he nonchalantly pours just the right amount of whisky into a shaker, and says more quietly, "however, if there were a spatio-temporal location at which one might expect to be meet up, this would not be unwelcome."

With that, he cracks an egg open, dumping its contents into the shaker with a grimace. Eggs are gross. But people insist on these odd beverages.
    Lucas

The reply comes quickly. "Oh, what a shame. We had a whole day planned. Early brunch on Saturday at The Cloisters Grill, around 10 in the morning, and then a stroll through the grounds to the faire site. What a pity you won't be able to join us. It could have been fun. Well, I think I'll be moving on. Maybe I'll catch you here again sometime?" Pushing away from the bar with the slightest of winks in your direction, the object of your interest turns away and heads for the door.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 05-14-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

OCC: What time of year is it?
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

OCC: What time of year is it?
    OOC: Late summer - around the end of August. Everyone can assume that the weather where they are now is warm and relatively dry.

Speaking with a somewhat distant voice, his mind clearly back on his work in Iraq tracing any potential clues to the Hanging Gardens, he dismissed the fellow he could not recall.

"I'm sorry but I really must decline. I am here only briefly to translate this cuneiform with Max. I trust you recall Professor Epper? We fly together this evening."

Reminiscing his time with their enigmatic lecturer and how Max had essentially become substitute for his father that he was so estranged from, Jack once again began to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

The reply comes quickly. "Oh, what a shame. We had a whole day planned. Early brunch at The Cloisters Grill, around 10 in the morning, and then a stroll through the grounds to the faire site. What a pity you won't be able to join us. It could have been fun. Well, I think I'll be moving on. Maybe I'll catch you here again sometime?" Pushing away from the bar with the slightest of winks in your direction, the object of your interest turns away and heads for the door.
    Lucas carries out the rest of his shift, and entertains patrons with tales of brave Sir Robin.

Inwardly smiling to herself, Ivy checks her backpack to ensure she has the essentials.

Swiss army knife
    leatherman
    cordage
    lighter
    headlamp
    water purifying straw
    two pairs of wool socks, one pair cotton
    first aid kit
    Pyrennes field guide (very important...going to see how many plants and animals can be checked off)
    ground cloth
    waterproof bivy sac
    summer weight sleeping bag
    rain pants and jacket
    silk long johns, change of undies
    fleecie
    wool cap
    extra tee
    long pants
    sunscreen
    hairbrush and toothbrush
    and last but not least
    4 blood oranges
    a nice selection of local charcuterie
    some idiazabal cheese...looking to get some roncal as she gets close to that village.
    A loaf of crusty bread and a tin of sardines....jsut because.

The weather is perfect for the red cargo capri hiking pants, black tee shirt, light blue button down over shirt that acts like sunscreen, floppy tan sun hat ensemble not chic, but functional and comfortable...perhaps proper hiking boots would have been the better choice in footwear, but those were back home. Her usual sturdy adias climb over anything shoes would have to suffice....the bright green sunglasses Ivy found yesterday in Barcelona while waiting for the bus completed the look.

Ivy takes the trail that will let her do the Lizardoia, Cascade de Cubo loop....then tomorrow head west along the spine of the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Speaking with a somewhat distant voice, his mind clearly back on his work in Iraq tracing any potential clues to the Hanging Gardens, he dismissed the fellow he could not recall.

"I'm sorry but I really must decline. I am here only briefly to translate this cuneiform with Max. I trust you recall Professor Epper? We fly together this evening."

Reminiscing his time with their enigmatic lecturer and how Max had essentially become substitute for his father that he was so estranged from, Jack once again began to walk.
    Jack

Walking quickly, so as to avoid any further interruptions, you continue on across Library Square and enter the Old Library, where you spend a profitable afternoon with Professor Epper. Your work on the inscriptions completed, you are quite excited to have what you both hope is a real lead to the location of the Hanging Gardens.

Your spirits are somewhat diminished, however, when you step outside to find that an unnaturally heavy fog has settled over Dublin. You can barely see the outline of the Campanile in the square.

"I don't think we're flying anywhere tonight."

Since even driving out of the city to hire a small plane at a county airport beyond the fogged out area is out of the question, you and the Professor decide to walk down to the Liffey and stroll along the quays toward Gratton Bridge. There are not many people out in the fog, and what traffic there is, is barely inching along, so the two of you are able to discuss the implications of what you have discovered without fear of being overheard.

By the time you reach the Bridge, you're both starting to feel hungry, so you continue on through Wood Quay - the former site of an ancient Viking settlement, sadly the victim of riverside development - planning to turn up Fishamble Street and eat at the Bull and Castle.

Suddenly you hear a scream, off toward the water's edge, muffled by the heavy fog. Instinctively, you run toward the sound, though the fog is growing thicker. An intense cold falls on you, and your head starts to spin. You black out.

When you awaken, you are in the middle of a forest. No one else is in sight. As you examine your surroundings more closely, you realise that nothing you see around you is familiar to you. The trees and plants are similar to those you know, but not quite like anything you've seen - the shapes, the colours, the smells, the sounds, the thinness of the air you're breathing, even the quality of light filtering down through the forest canopy - everything is alien to you.

(OOC - please itemise everything you are carrying on your person)

Lucas carries out the rest of his shift, and entertains patrons with tales of brave Sir Robin.
    Lucas

Finally the bar is closed, the last patrons eased out the door, and you can drop the show and be yourself. You clean your station and do your share of the closing chores quietly and efficiently, say good night to your colleagues, and head for home.

(OOC: I just noticed that the charming medievalist neglected to include some important spacio-temporal co-ordinates before leaving the bar. I have employed the retcon abilities of a game-runner to go back and include the missing information.)
    Last edited by Meherrin; 05-14-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Inwardly smiling to herself, Ivy checks her backpack to ensure she has the essentials.

<snip>

The weather is perfect for the red cargo capri hiking pants, black tee shirt, light blue button down over shirt that acts like sunscreen, floppy tan sun hat ensemble not chic, but functional and comfortable...perhaps proper hiking boots would have been the better choice in footwear, but those were back home. Her usual sturdy adias climb over anything shoes would have to suffice....the bright green sunglasses Ivy found yesterday in Barcelona while waiting for the bus completed the look.

Ivy takes the trail that will let her do the Lizardoia, Cascade de Cubo loop....then tomorrow head west along the spine of the mountains.
    Ivy

The forest is everything you hoped for. You leave the lake behind, travelling east along the Urrio River, then north. You decide to bypass most of the tourist accommodations in the town of Irati itself, but you do stop briefly at the historic shrine, the Ermita de la Virgen de las Nieves.

Back into the forest, and continuing north, it is well into the afternoon when you reach Cascada de Cubo.

You head further north, into the Lizardoia Reserve. Cresting a hill, you are treated to a vista of grrat natural beauty that takes your breath away.

It's late enough in the day, so you decide to find a good place to set up your camp, off the trail so you won't be disturbed.

Rubbing his forehead, his daze apparent, Jack muttered to himself "What on Earth happened?".

Given his prior training and experience any idea of how he came to be in his current position seemed an entirely foreign prospect. His prestigious former military career allowed him no prior disposition to faint or fit and his last recollection was of attending to an overheard scream. Jack performed a cursory medical inspection of himself finding he displayed no evidence of capture or struggle. Indeed, the only injury he could perceive was a throbbing head; the apparent aftermath of his head hitting the concrete pathway as he fell unconscious. He came to the conclusion that however he ended up where he was, wherever that may be, must have been somehow by his own action but for what purpose he could not discern.

Coming to terms with the situation he was presented, Jack checked his possessions. He still had his watch, the band and clasp keeping it to his wrist made of flint, steel and paracord; there was even a minor blade concealed within the clasp. His was thankful he wore his boots wherever he went although felt naked without his signature helmet or Horus and the comforting weight of safety they both represented. If not for a phone and wallet, given the night he was expecting to have had, his pockets were otherwise relatively empty.

As a last check he pulled out his phone to investigate for any photos or clues to his whereabouts and whether he had reception. Although it did not feel as such, he could not be certain that this was all but a dream from which he would wake.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 05-15-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Lucas
    And the next morning, Lucas heads to the subway to do it all again. City life is nothing if not repetitive. Every simple act feels mass produced. Only in bizarre and contrived situations can things that seem original be produced.

Thinking about this, Lucas contrives the formula for a new cocktail in his mind. That last one may not have come out just the way he wanted, but this time, it will taste divine, he tells himself.

Rubbing his forehead, his daze apparent, Jack muttered to himself "What on Earth happened?".

Given his prior training and experience any idea of how he came to be in his current position seemed an entirely foreign prospect. His prestigious former military career allowed him no prior disposition to faint or fit and his last recollection was of attending to an overheard scream. Jack performed a cursory medical inspection of himself finding he displayed no evidence of capture or struggle. Indeed, the only injury he could perceive was a throbbing head; the apparent aftermath of his head hitting the concrete pathway as he fell unconscious. He came to the conclusion that however he ended up where he was, wherever that may be, must have been somehow by his own action but for what purpose he could not discern.

Coming to terms with the situation he was presented, Jack checked his possessions. He still had his watch, the band and clasp keeping it to his wrist made of flint, steel and paracord; there was even a minor blade concealed within the clasp. His was thankful he wore his boots wherever he went although felt naked without his signature helmet or Horus and the comforting weight of safety they both represented. If not for a phone and wallet, given the night he was expecting to have had, his pockets were otherwise relatively empty.

As a last check he pulled out his phone to investigate for any photos or clues to his whereabouts and whether he had reception. Although it did not feel as such, he could not be certain that this was all but a dream from which he would wake.
    Jack

Your cell (actually a military-grade cell-satellite hybrid, it's nice to have connections) shows no signs of receiving anything, not even GPS signals. Either the entire satellite grid is down, or.... No, it's too early to hypothesise on limited data.

You decide to find out as much as you can about your current surroundings before making any moves. The trees around you are mostly broad, bare, rough-barked trunks for the first three or four metres; above that, they branch out rapidly, forming a canopy that does not allow much light to filter through. The ground around you is uneven, full of gnarled roots and rocks. There is little undergrowth, mostly primitive grasses and a few species of unfamiliar lichens and fungi.

There is the usual forest population of crawling insects - again, none that you recognise - and you hear rustling and whirring sounds that suggest larger forms of life moving unseen around you.

You feel a slight tilt in the ground beneath you, as if you were on rising ground. You see nothing at ground level to indicate anything more about your surroundings, not even direction or time of day.

Your head is hurting less; it's time to take the next step.

And the next morning, Lucas heads to the subway to do it all again. City life is nothing if not repetitive. Every simple act feels mass produced. Only in bizarre and contrived situations can things that seem original be produced.

Thinking about this, Lucas contrives the formula for a new cocktail in his mind. That last one may not have come out just the way he wanted, but this time, it will taste divine, he tells himself.
    Lucas

At least, with today being Friday, you should do well in tips, especially if the new cocktail is a hit. And you have the rest of the weekend off this week - rotating schedules give all staff an equal share of the busy, and hence more lucrative shifts, one advantage of working for a boss who wants to appear socially conscious.

Lucas
    (OOC: NYC is literally always crowded. I can't imagine any of the shifts being not lucrative! Just saying )

Like all promises to oneself, the promise that this cocktail would be divine died more happily due to its private nature. You'd have thought that the right quantity of sour would help cut the harder edge off the whisky and allow for more subtle flavorings, but somehow everything tried ended up tasting like cough medicine. A common experience.

Ah well, at least Lucas was looking forward to the Renaissance fair. The next day, he caught a subway just a tad early to get to the aforementioned spatio-temporal coordinates with a little time to spare.

Elliott was careful about planning his trip, he wanted something that was fun and safe yet not too thought out. While he couldn't wait to go for a climb he wasn't going to rush in unprepared, he'd made that mistake on one too many climbs already. He was careful in packing his supplies, packing food and emergency supplies as well as all the essentials. Once the packing was done the wildest part of the journey began: finding where he was going to climb.

His first stop was the bus station to get on the first bus leaving not caring where it was going. He ended up heading on a long term bus to Georgia. While on his way there he gathered different items and checked out different maps. He found the perfect mountain in the forests in southern Georgia and, with a little research, very quickly knew the next part of his journey. He arrived at the base of the mountain with ease, traveling the last part by hitchhiking with a local, and began to plot out his route up the mountain. He went through his bag once more to check all of his supplies and then with a smile began his climb.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Ivy found herself a good spot to spend the night, wind protected facing east with a view of the rising sun. She gathered a pile of dried leaves for a soft bed, spread the ground cloth over them and then unrolled the sleeping bag. Noticed the water bottle she had purchased in the last hamlet she had been through needed filling, wandered off to find a brook to refill it. Mission accomplished, water filtered bottle refilled. Settling herself on a comfortable perch to eat her simple dinner of bread, cheese and some chorizo and jambon...all finished off by a blood orange.

Thinking to herself this was a crazy way to go wandering....no compass, no cooking pot, no boots, no tent, only fresh food....really not very prudent...but on the other hand, she checked the weather, byt all the reports it would be sunny and dry for at least another week and honestly one was never more than a half a day's hike from a hamlet where one could stock up the cell phone had the gps...if needed...the only thing she really rued not having were her trusty summer weight hiking boots. Time to delve into the field guide and get to know the flora and fauna in the area....and start marking off the ones she had observed. Trees like the ancient yews, the silver firs, oaks and of course the beeches, the wonderful magical soothing beeches.

(OOC: NYC is literally always crowded. I can't imagine any of the shifts being not lucrative! Just saying )

Like all promises to oneself, the promise that this cocktail would be divine died more happily due to its private nature. You'd have thought that the right quantity of sour would help cut the harder edge off the whisky and allow for more subtle flavorings, but somehow everything tried ended up tasting like cough medicine. A common experience.

Ah well, at least Lucas was looking forward to the Renaissance fair. The next day, he caught a subway just a tad early to get to the aforementioned spatio-temporal coordinates with a little time to spare.
    (OCC: i did say 'more' lucrative. )

Lucas

You arrive a little early, in plenty of time to take a look around. The Cloisters Grill is a smallish place, with a Dominican family ambience about it. It's not too full - the breakfast crowd has thinned out a bit and lunch is still two hours away. You get the sense that your new acquaintance knows the establishment well.

You hear a familiar voice. "Lucas! We're over here." You head over to the table and pull out a chair. "So glad you, uh, serendipitously happened to show up at the same space and time we did. This goofy redhead dressed up like a bard is Kelly, and the wandering tinker across from you is Blair. In case you forgot, I'm Robin, and today I am pretending to be a prosperous wool merchant. Gang, this is Lucas. He's awesome, can quote from any medieval text you throw at him and makes bartending look easy. What'll you have for brunch? The mangú is excellent, and they serve it with the traditional side dishes. Or something more lunchish? Or you can get standard American if you want."

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    Elliott was careful about planning his trip, he wanted something that was fun and safe yet not too thought out. While he couldn't wait to go for a climb he wasn't going to rush in unprepared, he'd made that mistake on one too many climbs already. He was careful in packing his supplies, packing food and emergency supplies as well as all the essentials. Once the packing was done the wildest part of the journey began: finding where he was going to climb.

His first stop was the bus station to get on the first bus leaving not caring where it was going. He ended up heading on a long term bus to Georgia. While on his way there he gathered different items and checked out different maps. He found the perfect mountain in the forests in southern Georgia and, with a little research, very quickly knew the next part of his journey. He arrived at the base of the mountain with ease, traveling the last part by hitchhiking with a local, and began to plot out his route up the mountain. He went through his bag once more to check all of his supplies and then with a smile began his climb.
    Elliott

You are in the southwest of Georgia, in the southern end of the Piedmont mountains. There have been new rock climbing trails opening in the area, mostly in nearby Marion County, but this area isn't open to the general public yet.

The country is beautiful, the mountain you've found small enough to manage in a day, but still challenging enough to make the journey worthwhile. You pause for a moment, thinking about what you learned about the history of the area from Jim, the local who drove you from the highway in to the wilderness reserve. The Muscogee lived in this area once, before they were forced off their lands and onto the Trail of Tears. Though Jim said there were stories that a few of the Muscogee were never rounded up by Governor Troup's soldiers - they just went into the mountains around here, and vanished.

Your climb is everything you'd hoped, and when you stand finally at the top, you look out on the world below you with a sense of accomplishment and pride. It's late in the day, and you decide that instead of making your descent, you're going to sleep out on the mountain. You can see a wooded hollow not far off to the east and only a little way down the mountain, protected from any wind. The air is warm and dry, no sign of rain or colder weather coming in. And it;s such a wonderful thing, to be alone, with no one making demands on you.

(OCC: please list the supplies you carry with you.)

Ivy found herself a good spot to spend the night, wind protected facing east with a view of the rising sun. She gathered a pile of dried leaves for a soft bed, spread the ground cloth over them and then unrolled the sleeping bag. Noticed the water bottle she had purchased in the last hamlet she had been through needed filling, wandered off to find a brook to refill it. Mission accomplished, water filtered bottle refilled. Settling herself on a comfortable perch to eat her simple dinner of bread, cheese and some chorizo and jambon...all finished off by a blood orange.

Thinking to herself this was a crazy way to go wandering....no compass, no cooking pot, no boots, no tent, only fresh food....really not very prudent...but on the other hand, she checked the weather, byt all the reports it would be sunny and dry for at least another week and honestly one was never more than a half a day's hike from a hamlet where one could stock up the cell phone had the gps...if needed...the only thing she really rued not having were her trusty summer weight hiking boots. Time to delve into the field guide and get to know the flora and fauna in the area....and start marking off the ones she had observed. Trees like the ancient yews, the silver firs, oaks and of course the beeches, the wonderful magical soothing beeches.
    Ivy

In the morning you follow the trail for a while until you come to a small village, where you have no problem negotiating with the residents to replenish your food stores before leaving the trail and all signs of human habitation behind you.

Walking in silence among the great beeches, you feel the majesty and mystery of the ancient land of Navarra, and the magic of the Pyrenees. Heading north toward the mountain spine, you can't help thinking of all the legends about this area. The mysterious hidden caves sacred to the great earth goddess of the Basques. The secrets of the heretical Cathars, fleeing south from Languedoc into the mountains, never to be seen again. The holy mountain of Montsalvat, home of the Grail, that only appears to the most faithful and pure. And the tales of Roland, the mighty champion who died not far from where you are, in the pass at Roncevalles.

You stop to have a midday rest - and a bit of bread and cheese - in a small ravine beside a mountain stream. Surrounding you are the trees, the wooded hills and surrounding them, the majestic mountains. You pack up, about to leave, but it's so peaceful, so calm, you stand there for just a moment, leaning back against a tree trunk, and close your eyes....

A sudden fierce cold shocks you awake. You're surrounded by a thick mist, so thick you can barely see. The tree you were leaning against is suddenly ... not there, and you tumble backwards onto the grass, your fall partly broken by your pack. Before you can react, the mist swirls and seems to curl in on itself, vanishing in seconds.

You struggle to your feet, looking around in confusion. The stream, the beeches, the firs, are gone. You are standing by the edge of a wide, well-trodded path running through a forest, and beyond that, you see wooded hills reaching back toward mountains - but nothing is familiar. Looking up in the sky, you see that even the sun is changed, it's darker, redder, larger, but its light not as bright as it should be.

As you stand there, in shock, a cloaked and hooded figure, leading a heavily encumbered mule, rounds a turn in the path and comes into view. As they come closer, you see it is a young woman, oddly dressed beneath her cloak in what looks like a medieval style doublet and breeches tucked into high boots. You glimpse a short sword - or is it a long dagger? - hanging sheathed from a belt at her waist. She looks at you, eyes a little wary but not afraid, curious but not threatening, and speaks. Her words are strange, throaty, nothing like the Spanish, French or even Basque you half expect to hear. You understand nothing of what she says.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 05-15-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Lucas
    "Ah yes, the winds of fortune blow whimsically today," Lucas responds, gesturing a hello to the group referred to as 'gang.' Lucas himself is dressed up low key as a stablehand. I say low key because it's a workman's outfit that would be quite in place in a stable in a pre-industrial epoch, but also doesn't appear too far out of the ordinary for some contemporary agricultural work.

But for lunch he orders simple grilled cheese. Turns out that working in a somewhat-fancy, fanciful bar doesn't whet ones appetite for complicated or exotic restaurant orders. Neither does the stablehand outfit.

Or maybe the narrator here just wants some cheap characterization of Lucas and is willing to do so at the cost of plausibility .

Given the only directional aid to be identified was the gentle sloping of the ground, Jack went downhill following the direction water would have flowed had it been there. Where there is water, one can find sustenance and civilization. A downhill trek would also be easier to perform saving precious energy.

Jack kept one eyes on the surroundings, looking front, back, sides, high and low for any further indicators of his position be they plant or animal life, potential openings in the canopy, or food. Pausing occasionally he would also stop to listen to the sounds of the woods/forest; sounds he hoped would indicate nearby water.

"Hello" Ivy manages to eke out in her thoroughly confused state. Not sure whether to be glad for the company or to flee and garner more time to figure out what is going on.

Elliott

You are in the southwest of Georgia, in the southern end of the Piedmont mountains. There have been new rock climbing trails opening in the area, mostly in nearby Marion County, but this area isn't open to the general public yet.

The country is beautiful, the mountain you've found small enough to manage in a day, but still challenging enough to make the journey worthwhile. You pause for a moment, thinking about what you learned about the history of the area from Jim, the local who drove you from the highway in to the wilderness reserve. The Muscogee lived in this area once, before they were forced off their lands and onto the Trail of Tears. Though Jim said there were stories that a few of the Muscogee were never rounded up by Governor Troup's soldiers - they just went into the mountains around here, and vanished.

Your climb is everything you'd hoped, and when you stand finally at the top, you look out on the world below you with a sense of accomplishment and pride. It's late in the day, and you decide that instead of making your descent, you're going to sleep out on the mountain. You can see a wooded hollow not far off to the east and only a little way down the mountain, protected from any wind. The air is warm and dry, no sign of rain or colder weather coming in. And it;s such a wonderful thing, to be alone, with no one making demands on you.

(OCC: please list the supplies you carry with you.)
    Elliott quickly makes his way to the hollow and begins to set things up for the night. From the number of times he's ended up spending the night alone on his trips he has the tent up in a few moments with a sleeping bag set up inside. He finds some dry wood and sets up a fire quickly and begins to cook the food he brought with him. While the food cooks he goes through the items in his bag again, going through a mental checklist:

-Quite a few feet of rope
    -A small one-handed pick axe for hard climbs
    -A first aid kit
    -A large amount of food that needs to be heated
    -A compass
    -A heavy duty flashlight
    -3 boxes of matches
    -A change of clothes as well as a rain jacket
    -A refillable water bottle and a water purifier

As the sun begins to set Elliott fills his water bottle with river water and douses the fire. He then refills his water bottle with purified water and takes his food back to the top of the mountain to watch the rest of the sunset and eat. Once he's done this he's quick to climb into his bag and prepare to sleep under the stars. His stuff is consolidated in the tent, but in no way packed or ready to go knowing that he is alone in the forest. Quickly he drifts off to sleep.

S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

"Ah yes, the winds of fortune blow whimsically today," Lucas responds, gesturing a hello to the group referred to as 'gang.' Lucas himself is dressed up low key as a stablehand. I say low key because it's a workman's outfit that would be quite in place in a stable in a pre-industrial epoch, but also doesn't appear too far out of the ordinary for some contemporary agricultural work.

But for lunch he orders simple grilled cheese. Turns out that working in a somewhat-fancy, fanciful bar doesn't whet ones appetite for complicated or exotic restaurant orders. Neither does the stablehand outfit.

Or maybe the narrator here just wants some cheap characterization of Lucas and is willing to do so at the cost of plausibility .
    Lucas

After brunch, you all walk the short distance to the park, and spend the afternoon quite agreeably, wandering around the grounds, watching exhibition of everything from axe-fighting to manuscript illumination, listening to assorted minstrels and medieval music consorts, and looking at the multitude of merchant's booths, where you could, if you wanted to, buy everything from simple kitchen implements to costumes fit for a lord or lady at court.

After supper - a variety of pasties purchased from one of the food merchants - Kelly and Blair wander off together, presumably in search of a bower, either in the grounds or off them. You and Robin have drifted away from the fair grounds, deep in conversation, strolling north along the Hudson River, when you realise you've passed the Cloisters and wandered into Inwood Hill Park.

Robin looks around. "Aren't we near the Indian caves?"

Given the only directional aid to be identified was the gentle sloping of the ground, Jack went downhill following the direction water would have flowed had it been there. Where there is water, one can find sustenance and civilization. A downhill trek would also be easier to perform saving precious energy.

Jack kept one eyes on the surroundings, looking front, back, sides, high and low for any further indicators of his position be they plant or animal life, potential openings in the canopy, or food. Pausing occasionally he would also stop to listen to the sounds of the woods/forest; sounds he hoped would indicate nearby water.
    Jack

Eventually you hear the sound of water running over rock, and find a small stream, not far downhill. You have been hearing some rustling in the trees around you, but nothing you identify as immediately dangerous. It's getting darker, but there's not enough light reaching the ground to sense direction - despite the presence of the stream, the canopy above is unbroken.

You kneel by the stream to cup some water with your hands, and sip cautiously. It tastes pure and sweet, and cold. You drink more, and then splash some on your face.

Suddenly you here louder rustling just above and behind you. You stand quickly, turning as you do, to see a dozen small figures dropping lightly from the trees in a large semicircle around you.

Your first thought is that you've been ambushed by a troop of chimpanzees - but then you realise that the creatures surrounding you are lightly clothed over their short, dark fur, in loincloths and armless vests, and carrying weapons and other tools. Most are just over one meter in height, the tallest no more than 1.25 meters. They stand erect, more like humans than apes, but they have long, extra-jointed hands and feet that seem suited for grasping branches with all four limbs, arboreal dwellers by nature. Their faces are more human than ape-like, but thinner, with tufted ears that swivel slightly, like a cat's.

Most importantly, they seem to be holding a stance that is defensive, but not threatening. Hands on knives, but no weapons drawn. Watching you intently, but without surprise - you sense they have seen your kind before.

"Hello" Ivy manages to eke out in her thoroughly confused state. Not sure whether to be glad for the company or to flee and garner more time to figure out what is going on.
    Ivy

The woman tilts her head slightly, and seems to repeat what she said. When you do not react, she tries again, this time in a fluid tongue that seems tantalisingly familiar. She seems to sense this, keeps talking. A few words begin to make sense - you realise that she's speaking some kind of language akin to Spanish, and asking you your name, and, you think, what you are doing here.

Elliott quickly makes his way to the hollow and begins to set things up for the night. From the number of times he's ended up spending the night alone on his trips he has the tent up in a few moments with a sleeping bag set up inside. He finds some dry wood and sets up a fire quickly and begins to cook the food he brought with him. While the food cooks he goes through the items in his bag again, going through a mental checklist:

<snip>

As the sun begins to set Elliott fills his water bottle with river water and douses the fire. He then refills his water bottle with purified water and takes his food back to the top of the mountain to watch the rest of the sunset and eat. Once he's done this he's quick to climb into his bag and prepare to sleep under the stars. His stuff is consolidated in the tent, but in no way packed or ready to go knowing that he is alone in the forest. Quickly he drifts off to sleep.
    Elliott

After a good night's rest, you awake happier and more relaxed than you've been in a long time. You go about your morning camp-out routine, make some breakfast, and pack up your gear. You start toward the point you've chosen for the start of your descent, when a sudden cold mist settles around you out of nowhere. You feel dizzy and disoriented; the world spins around you.

Just as suddenly, the mist fades away - and you stand there in shock. The mountains, the forests, are gone. You are standing beside a calm lake in the midst of rolling green hills. You see a few trees and bushes nearby - but they look strange, different. The sun is not far above horizon, but it's different too - red, and slightly swollen, as if you were seeing it through the haze of a very thick smog, but the air is fresh and clean - but somehow a little wrong. You see a cobblestone road not far off - in one direction it winds away through the hills.... In the other direction.... It leads to something you can only describe as a castle.

Beginnign to seemingly comprehend a few words that seem like spanish, but not spanish,Ivy tries to communicate again. "Ah, uh...mi llamo Ivy" (my name is Ivy) pointing at herself. "No se donde estoy....no se."

Lucas
    Lucas looks up with a start -- he obviously had not been paying attention to location. "Not sure. Never walked this way before."

Beginnign to seemingly comprehend a few words that seem like spanish, but not spanish,Ivy tries to communicate again. "Ah, uh...mi llamo Ivy" (my name is Ivy) pointing at herself. "No se donde estoy....no se."
    The woman looks quizzically at you for a moment, and then points at you. "Ivea?" she says. "Rafaella n'ha Doria," she adds, pointing to herself.

The two of you struggle for a while, not quite understanding each other but still managing some basic communication.

It seems that you are in a place called Shielig, and that Rafaella wants to take you somewhere to see someone important. She keeps asking you if you come from the 'clannas rialtas' - whatever that is - and all you can do to answer is to shake your head and look confused.

Finally, Rafaella sighs, nods towards the direction from which she came, and indicates that you should walk with her.

Elliott

After a good night's rest, you awake happier and more relaxed than you've been in a long time. You go about your morning camp-out routine, make some breakfast, and pack up your gear. You start toward the point you've chosen for the start of your descent, when a sudden cold mist settles around you out of nowhere. You feel dizzy and disoriented; the world spins around you.

Just as suddenly, the mist fades away - and you stand there in shock. The mountains, the forests, are gone. You are standing beside a calm lake in the midst of rolling green hills. You see a few trees and bushes nearby - but they look strange, different. The sun is not far above horizon, but it's different too - red, and slightly swollen, as if you were seeing it through the haze of a very thick smog, but the air is fresh and clean - but somehow a little wrong. You see a cobblestone road not far off - in one direction it winds away through the hills.... In the other direction.... It leads to something you can only describe as a castle.
    Elliott spins around in place trying to get his bearings, he has no idea what has happened or where he is now. He neither has the food nor the courage to wait around and see what will happen to him so instead he decides to head over to the cobblestone road, though he moves slowly conscious of his every move through this livable, but wrong, environment. With a long look down both sides of the road he comes to the decision that he doesn't have the resources to trek through the hills so he must brave the castle. Slowly and cautiously Elliott begins his journey towards the castle.

S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Ivy nods at Rafaella, indicating she will follow her lead. Ivy decides to try to gain some language knowledge....pointing at various things along the way and learning the new words for them, knowing full well that having words for tree, rock, grass, flower would not help her find out what was going on, where she was, but it did make her feel better.

(OOC: Sorry! Thought I had replied! Feel free to prod me if I don't respond in an appropriate timeframe.)

Deciding to stand in a non-threatening stance, Jack waited to see what their next action was. If the weapons were drawn aggressively he decided he would begin by turning and dashing across the stream.

OOC: my apologies, I am not able to update character stories today. Severe smog in Toronto has affected both physical and mental states. I'll try to get something done tonight if the pollution index drops enough.

(OOC, take care of yourself)

Lucas looks up with a start -- he obviously had not been paying attention to location. "Not sure. Never walked this way before."
    Lucas

"I think we are," Robin says, adding, "I've been there before, but not long enough to really look around."

As the two of you walk inland from the riverside, the terrain becomes higher, rockier, more wooded. It's early evening, and the air is taking on a slight, unexpected chill. Your foot catches on a tree root and you stumble. Robin, walking a bit ahead of you, doesn't hear you fall.

As you scramble back to your feet, a thick mist settles around you and you feel chilled to the bone. You hear Robin calling your name, but as if from a great distance; you try to answer, but you can't seem to move. For a moment, all is black.

When you can open your eyes again, you are lying on the ground, a ring of strange faces around you, their faces full of astonishment and perhaps a little fear. You struggle to your feet and look around. For a minute you think you're back at the renfaire - everyone, men and women alike, is dressed medieval-style, in tunics, jerkins, breeches, long, loose pants, and a few wear capes or padded doublets - but you're in a clearing surrounded by woods. Behind the ring of faces, you can see campfires, a few simple tents, a couple of open wagons, and a string of mules.

Elliott spins around in place trying to get his bearings, he has no idea what has happened or where he is now. He neither has the food nor the courage to wait around and see what will happen to him so instead he decides to head over to the cobblestone road, though he moves slowly conscious of his every move through this livable, but wrong, environment. With a long look down both sides of the road he comes to the decision that he doesn't have the resources to trek through the hills so he must brave the castle. Slowly and cautiously Elliott begins his journey towards the castle.

Elliott

As you get closer, what seemed to be a castle turns out to be a cluster of wood and stone buildings, of varying heights, set around a central building with three towers. You see people dressed in simple, but somewhat odd, work clothes moving between the buildings, probably going about their jobs, whatever those might be. It all looks like a scene out of some historical movie.

One of the men looks up from a bench where he was sitting, outside an outbuilding, bent over some kind of work. As he stands up, setting his work aside, you see that it looks like he was working on a saddle.

The man calls out to you in a language you've never heard before.

Ivy nods at Rafaella, indicating she will follow her lead. Ivy decides to try to gain some language knowledge....pointing at various things along the way and learning the new words for them, knowing full well that having words for tree, rock, grass, flower would not help her find out what was going on, where she was, but it did make her feel better.

Ivy

As you walk along, you slowly become more confident with this odd, not-quite Spanish language, and try to ask Rafaella where she is taking you. After some stumbling with words that are decidedly not from the Spanish, and a bit of pantomime, you gather that you are being taken to the home, or maybe the palace, of a local ruler.

When Rafaella asks again if you are from the "clannas rialtas" you tell her you don't know what that is.

She looks at you in surprise, and asks if you were raised among 'finnathi' - her tone suggests that this is a common phrase describing ignorance of common knowledge. You try to explain that you don't think you were raised anywhere on this planet, but she clearly doesn't understand. She does, however, manage to tell you about this 'clannas'. It seems that her people, the people of Shieltig, are having some kind of disagreement with several clannas - families, perhaps, or tribes? - who call themselves the Rialtas. It sounds as though this disagreement has been going on for a long time, and has involved fighting at times, but not now.

You're relieved to hear that at least you have not landed in a battle zone.

As the light begins to fail, Rafaella leads you off the path you have been following, into a little clearing. There's a stone shelter and a well, and she explains that Lord Seanan's residence is two day's travel away, and you eill have to spend the night here.

(OOC: Sorry! Thought I had replied! Feel free to prod me if I don't respond in an appropriate timeframe.)

Deciding to stand in a non-threatening stance, Jack waited to see what their next action was. If the weapons were drawn aggressively he decided he would begin by turning and dashing across the stream.
    Jack

As you wait for someone to make a first move, another of the small furry people drops down from a branch, a little to the rear of those ranged around you. You're not certain, but you think this one is older, and possibly female. Definitely more colourfully dressed, and wearing some simple jewelry as well as a knife and a belt pouch.

The others draw around him (her?) protectively, but still without any sense of aggression. After a quick exchange in a language quite unlike anything you've ever heard, the newcomer turns to you and addresses you, haltingly, in a language that sounds oddly familiar. In amazement, you think to yourself that in all likelihood, you are being spoken to in some hitherto unknown Romance language by small furry aliens on an unknown world.

Ivy shrugs off her pack and turns to help Rafealla unload the mule. Ivy indicates she will go gather firewood and relieve herself. Soon she is back with her first armful of wood and sees that Rafealla has beaten her to getting the fire started.

Ivy starts to unpack her pack, getting to the food offers to share.

Elliott is careful with his reaction to the man. "Hello?" He calls out in a steady tone, hoping against hope that these strange people might speak english.

S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Lucas rubs his eyes. It's not every day that you feel like you're being choked, then seem to be in a strange place. "It's a lucid dream," Lucas thinks aloud. "I've fallen unconscious and I'm lucid dreaming..."

This decided he turns to the imaginary figures pictured before him.

"So where is this supposed to be?" He asks of no one in particular.

Ivy shrugs off her pack and turns to help Rafealla unload the mule. Ivy indicates she will go gather firewood and relieve herself. Soon she is back with her first armful of wood and sees that Rafealla has beaten her to getting the fire started.

Ivy starts to unpack her pack, getting to the food offers to share.
    Ivy

Between the two of you, a pleasant camp is soon set up. Rafaella carries cookware in her pack, and soon has dinner prepared - a grain/bean stew, made richer with the addition of some dried fungus and a few chunks of the charcuterie you offered, some if your remaining bread (she carries a dry flatbread, but yours is fresher, and will soon be too stale, anyway) and something hot to drink, a slightly bitter but rather tasty infusion of various nuts, bark and dried leaves. For dessert, you share the last of the oranges with her - she's never seen an orange, and is delighted with the taste of it.

After dinner you sit around the fire for a while. You continue talking - and encouraging Rafaella to talk - as much as possible, knowing that unless you can communicate with these people, your chances of finding out where you are - and how to get home again - are slim indeed.

You learn from Rafaella that she is the oldest daughter, and heir, of a farmer who lives near this Lord Seanan's lands (you have the distinct impression that this is a feudal society) and she was on her way to visit her sister, who lives in some kind of intentional community - the word Rafaella uses to describe her is 'callach' - called a Ciorcal. You apologise for interrupting her journey, but she just smiles, and says she was in no hurry. It seems that she has been trying o persuade a young man in her village that she is not interested in being his lover, and decided to visit her sister to give him sone time to cool down. Taking you to Lord Seanan is her duty, both to you as a stranger without kin and to her lord. And after that, she can continue her trip.

In return, you do your best to tell her about your own life - she seems to understand that it is your skill to plan the best way to build things, but you still can't find the words to explain clearly where you came from. Eventually, the fire starts to die down. Rafaella banks it carefully, so there will be some coals in the morning, and you both prepare for sleep.

The next day passes much the same way, and on the evening of the following day, you arrive at you destination, which you now know is called Banailt - Rafella has explained it means 'white cliff', and it is obvious why. The first thing you see as you crest a hill and look down into the valley below is a castle fort, built against - and possibly into - high cliffs of whitish stone. Outside the high fort wall is a village, and around the village, cleared fields where crops stand, seemingly close to harvest, and enclosures where goats and sheep graze.

Rafaella leads you up to the castle - it seems she's been here before, as she exchanges friendly greetings with some of the villagers as you pass by, in that harsher language you don't understand. The castle gates are open, with a couple of soldiers - guards, you suppose - standing beside them. She talks to them for a few minutes, the one of them turns to you, addressing you in the same language you have been learning from Rafaella.

"Stranger at the gates, do you swear on your honour that you come here with no harm in mind toward Lord Seanan, his vassals, lands or any person or thing that lies under his protection, and will do no harm should you come within?"

Elliott is careful with his reaction to the man. "Hello?" He calls out in a steady tone, hoping against hope that these strange people might speak english.
    Elliott

The man speaks again, in the same unknown tongue, with a rising inflection. He seems to asking you a question. You shake your head, and even those you suspect it's hopeless, say that you don't understand him.

Raising his voice, he calls out to someone, and seconds later, a young girl comes running out of the building behind him. He exchanges a few words with her, and she runs off toward the building with the towers. Turning back to you, he motions to you to follow him, pointing toward a large stone building beside the towers. He tries to talk to you again, repeating the word 'callach' several times. You get the impression that whatever a callach is, it's important.

Lucas rubs his eyes. It's not every day that you feel like you're being choked, then seem to be in a strange place. "It's a lucid dream," Lucas thinks aloud. "I've fallen unconscious and I'm lucid dreaming..."

This decided he turns to the imaginary figures pictured before him.

"So where is this supposed to be?" He asks of no one in particular.
    Lucas

You see incomprehension on the faces of those around you. Some step back further, then turn away and go about their business, which seems to be setting up a camp. The rest look at one another, wordlessly choosing who will speak to you. The entire scene seems distressingly real - sights, sounds, smells - no matter how hard you try to make yourself wake up.

Finally, one of them addresses you, but you don't understand anything that you hear.

Glad for the practice with Rafaella with this familiar yet unfamiliar new old language, Ivy was able to reply, "I swear on my hono that I intend no harm" Or at least that is what she hoped she said.

Breathing deeply she readies herself to meet Lord Seanan and hopes that Rafaella will tarry awhile.

Glad for the practice with Rafaella with this familiar yet unfamiliar new old language, Ivy was able to reply, "I swear on my hono that I intend no harm" Or at least that is what she hoped she said.

Breathing deeply she readies herself to meet Lord Seanan and hopes that Rafaella will tarry awhile.
    The guard steps aside. Inside the gates you see a courtyard, with various buildings butted up against the walls and on the other side, against the cliffs, the castle proper. Rafaella gives you a running commentary about the layout of the fort, pointing to the blacksmith, the infirmary, the stillroom (this, you gather, is where herbs and other items are turned into medicines and other useful things), the armourer and leatherworker, the laundries, the common privies, and so on, as she and leads you first to the stables. There she leaves the mule in the hands of a smiling stablegirl, who exchanges a few words, mostly joking, it seems to you, with Rafaella before leading the mule away. You are suddenly struck by how cheerful most people seem to be, which isn't quite the image you had of life among the common people under a feudal system.

Rafaella then leads you toward the inner castle. Again, the doors are open, with a guard standing by. Rafaella says something to the guard, who waves at a young boy lounging nearby. The lad runs over, listens to the guard's instructions, and dashes off.

Rafealla takes you inside the castle. While windows are few, small, and narrow, so there is little natural light, the entry hall and corridors are well lit with what appear to be oil-burning lanterns. The natural chill of stone walls is eased somewhat by colourful carpets and tapestries. Rafaella explains that since it is late in the day, and even if the lord decides to see you, it's too late to go anywhere else, she's going to see the castle housekeeper to arrange a place for the two of you to sleep.

The housekeeper is a tall, grandmotherly sort of person, who seems to know Rafaella. They talk for a bit, then the housekeeper turns to you, saying in habla - the name of the language you've been learning - "Welcome to Banailt. I am Kiera n'ha Marilys, housekeeper here. We have several guests at the moment, you will have to share a room with Rafaella. Follow me, if you will."

Kiera leads the two of you to a small room, well-insulated from the cold wall-hanings, furnished with with two narrow beds and a small wooden table, with chests at the foot of each bed for storing one's belongings.

Rafaella thanks Kiera, adding that if the lord sends for you, you will likely be either in the baths or the refectory. As Kiera leaves, @rafaella asks you "well? Which first? A meal or a bath?"

"Bath first" Washing the grime of the last few days off will be wonderful.

Elliott is still hesitant of what's going on but he has very few options of what to do not understanding what's going on. Carefully he starts towards the man he doesn't understand, following him.

S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18