Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPG: The Seven Kingdoms - Game Thread

With the language being somewhat familiar, Jack began speaking "I mean you no harm" first in Spanish, French then Italian before also trying Latin as he slowly raised his hands. Wherever he was, if he could only get back to civilization, this find would mark him down in history

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

(OOC: i recommend that you read each other's sections. There's going to be some duplication of exposition, To avoid boring you too much, I will be skimping on explanations to one person if I've already gone into detail with someone else.)

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    "Bath first" Washing the grime of the last few days off will be wonderful.
    Ivy

First, Rafaella shows you where the guest privies are, and where soap, and other supplies are kept. She points to one cabinet, and tells you that there are 'women's supplies' there if your 'moontime' is near, and, if you understand her correctly, also contraceptive supplies should you need them. The privies are simply engineered, but clean and efficient. Before you can stop to consider the implications of all this, she herds you off to the baths. You are more than a little surprised to see the extent of the baths - but then, thinking back, you realise that everyone you've seen so far, in both village and castle, has been clean, and dressed in reasonably fresh clothing - again, not quite what history would have you expect from a feudal society with a medieval level of technology.

A bath attendant leads the two of you to a small room with several large tubs along one wall, benches along another, and a number of wooden cupboards. Rafaella shows you how the simple plumbing works, and starts to shed her dirty travel clothes, before climbing into one of the tubs and sinking back in the hot water. You follow her example, and then, start asking questions.

You are rather surprised to learn that Rafaella has a good grasp of germ theory and the need for cleanliness in suppressing disease and promoting health. She tells you that the caillais - this seems to be the plural for callach - discovered this a long time ago, and that because it is so important, every community - you're not sure if she means just in Shielig, or everywhere - has public baths and laundries. You ask about the contraceptives, and from her frank descriptions, you gather that this is a sexually open society, with no stigma attached to sex outside of marriage - if these people have marriage? You ask about that, too, and learn that there are two kinds of recognised marriage, one that binds two people only as long as they wish, and keeps property separate, and one which binds for life and joins property. You notice that she says 'people' and uses a neutral pronoun, so you ask, very delicately, about marriage between people who prefer their own sex. She nods, seeming surprised that you ask. You are quiet for a few minutes. This is not the kind of medieval society you read about in your history books.

Rafaella interrupts your thoughts, saying that it's time to let someone else have the room, so you get dried off and dress in the clean clothes you brought. The other woman says that if you put your dirty clothes in one of the cloth bags in the cupboard, she will give it to one of the launderers with her own clothes, so they can be washed.

There is still no word from Lord Seanan, so Rafaella takes you to the refectory. It's laid out buffet-style, with a long row of large serving dishes set up on tables running along one side of the room, and more tables running perpendicular to the food array, with benches on either side. You follow her, collecting a pottery plate and mug, and basic utensils, helping yourself to the dishes that look or smell interesting.

The two of you sit down at the far end of one of the tables. Several people wave or call out greetings to your companion; she answers, but in a way that seems to let people know not to join her. You;re grateful for that. You;re not quite ready for a group conversation yet.

You observe that lots of people know her here. She explains that her father is the village reeve, and because he is getting old and doesn't like to travel, she is his deputy to the lord's council. You ask if this is a hereditary position; she smiles and says no, but her father is both wise and well-liked, so the villagers keep choosing him. You try to get a sense of how politics works in this land, and a picture emerges of something like a parliamentary monarchy. There are hereditary lords, like Lord Seanan, who have certain powers and responsibilities, but elected councils of the people, who advise and to some extent must approve the lord's actions.

Just as you finish your meal, you see a young man approaching. Rafaella says "that is one of the Lord's pages, Mikhail mi'ha Donal - he may see you tonight after all."

You and Rafaella follow young Mikhail to large hall. A tall man with red hair and sharp eyes, richly dressed in doublet and breeches sits on an ornate chair on a slightly raised dais. On one side of him is a young woman, also red-haired, in a flowing robe, on the other, an older woman with grey hair, dressed like the lord, but less ornately.

Mikhail announces them first in the language that it seems is the common tongue of this region, which you have learned is called teanga, and then in habla "Raefaella n'ha Doria, deputy of Reeve Lachlan mi'ha Kennan of Storn, and the person known as Ivee, a stranger who has pledged her honour to do no harm within these walls."

The man on the central chair nods. Rafaella walks toward him. You follow her, stop when she stops, bow slightly when she does. He addresses Rafaella in teanga, and the two converse for several minutes before he turns to look directly at you.

"I am Seanan mi'ha Fergal, lord of Banailt," he says in habla. "Rafaella has told me what she knows of you, but I would know from your own tongue, and here before the callach Merisa n'ha Sorcha, what is you lineage and clannas, how you came into these lands, and what is your intent, either to me and mine, or my own lord Tervais mi'ha Maclen, Lochlain of Shielig, and those under his protection."

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    Elliott is still hesitant of what's going on but he has very few options of what to do not understanding what's going on. Carefully he starts towards the man he doesn't understand, following him.
    Elliott

The man keeps talking, even though hr's stopped looking to you for answers, as he leads you to the building. You hear more words and phrases repeated - ciorcal marlis, kirdais, a few others. Once inside, the man takes you to a small room furnished with several chairs and a long wooden table. There are shelves along two of the walls, filled with piles of what look like notebooks. Tapestries hang on the other walls. The man motions for you to sit down, and you shrug off your pack and take the chair he points too. He mimes drinking something and looks at you in a questioning way. You nod, and he leaves the room, coming back with a tray, four glasses and a pitcher. As he pours for you and himself, you deduce that he is expecting two people to join you. You sip your drink cautiously at first, but on discovering that it is some kind of tart, refreshing fruit juice, drink more enthusiastically.

After maybe half an hour, during which you manage to exchange names with the man beside you - his name is Rafe - you hear noises in the corridor outside. Two people enter the room, both dressed in some kind of robes that makes you think uneasily of judges and courtrooms. The talk to Rafe, then one of them - a short red-haired woman with a kind smile - tries to talk to you. You get the feeling she is trying several different languages, but you just keep shaking your head and saying "Sorry, I don't understand' in English.

Finally, the woman sighs, and reaching for her neck, she pulls out small cloth bag on a copper chain from underneath her robes. Holding the bag tightly in one hand, she reaches out slowly with the other toward your hand, touching you lightly with a fingertip.

Before you can decide whether to remove your hand or not, you hear her speaking English to you, but her lips aren't moving and you realise with a shock that it's all inside your mind.

"I am Carissa, and I am sorry to touch you thus without your permission, but this is the only way we may talk. Will you allow me to speak further with you mind to mind?"

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    With the language being somewhat familiar, Jack began speaking "I mean you no harm" first in Spanish, French then Italian before also trying Latin as he slowly raised his hands. Wherever he was, if he could only get back to civilization, this find would mark him down in history
    Jack

The strange being continues to speak, slowly, repeating the same words, that you come to realise are the same thing you have been saying - "no harm, no harm, we no harm, you no harm."

When he (she?) realises you understand, more words come, still slowly, in what you have decided is something close to Spanish. "This land is people's land. Finnathi land. Why you are here?"
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Lucas
    Lucas furrows his brow. He's never dreamed up an entire language before, and although incomprehensible, the utterances of the man did come across as grammatical. The questions "where am I," and "how did I appear to arrive in this place to you," do appear to be the most pressing questions, but the abstract nature of them was going to make communicating them difficult.

He points to himself, and says "Lucas," and waits for what the other person does in response.

Speaking slowly as to try gain the inflection used Jack answered as honestly as he could.
    "I do not know how I got here. I woke up lost. The last I remember is a scream as a strange mist swirled."
    He continued, attemping to come across as neither rude or arrogant, "are these your lands? Are you the Finnathi?"
    He stumbled at the name and was sure he had not pronounced the unknown word correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Thank you for your kind hospitality Lord Seanan, it is much appreciated. I am just learning your tongue, please forgive me for any misunderstandings. I intend no one any harm, I just want to find my way home again, I know not how I came to be where Rafaella found me. I was tramping through an area known as Navarre in the Forest of Irati, a mountainous region, closed my eyes for a moment, felt a cold gray mist and woke up where Rafaella found me.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Lucas furrows his brow. He's never dreamed up an entire language before, and although incomprehensible, the utterances of the man did come across as grammatical. The questions "where am I," and "how did I appear to arrive in this place to you," do appear to be the most pressing questions, but the abstract nature of them was going to make communicating them difficult.

He points to himself, and says "Lucas," and waits for what the other person does in response.
    Lucas

The spokesperson for the group tries again to speak to you - it sounds as though she's trying another language. You just point to yourself again and say your name.

She seems to understand this, pointing at you and repeating your name, then pointing to herself and saying "Camilla. Camilla n'ha Caitrin."

Then she looks at you with a quizzical, slightly exasperated expression that seems to be saying 'well, what do I do with you now?'

You become aware of the fact that it's getting very dark, and cold. Almost as if she understands what you're feeling, she motions you toward an empty spot near one of the campfires. She shouts something at one of the others, who promptly digs into one of the wagon bed for a minute and comes over to you, offering a cloak.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Speaking slowly as to try gain the inflection used Jack answered as honestly as he could.
    "I do not know how I got here. I woke up lost. The last I remember is a scream as a strange mist swirled."
    He continued, attemping to come across as neither rude or arrogant, "are these your lands? Are you the Finnathi?"
    He stumbled at the name and was sure he had not pronounced the unknown word correctly.
    Jack

The other answers, pointing to herself then to those around her, "we are Finnathi." She swept her arms in a circle around her, indicating everything surrounding you. "Finnathi land."

She points to you, saying "you, not Finnathi. You are human. You go. We help you go. More humans." With her last comment, she points further downhill, stretching her arm out to indicate a long ways away.

Then she points downward, moving her hand in a small circle to take in the area near the stream. "We eat, sleep. Sun come back, we, you go. More humans."

She (you are fairly certain she is female by now) snaps out orders in her own language, and her companions start making camp. Some clamber back up into the trees, and return with simple packs they had obviously left above in order to confront you unencumbered.

As you watch, the Finnathi dig a firepit and, crossing the stream, a trench that, as one of the promptly demonstrates, is intended as a privy. You note with some curiosity that they choose a place downhill, where their wastes would not pollute the stream - instinct, or knowledge? The scholar of early humanity in you is fascinated.

Soon there is a warm fire and the smell of food - some kind of nut and fruit porridge, you guess. The leader reaches out and takes your hand. "Come, fire. We eat, we sleep."

Thank you for your kind hospitality Lord Seanan, it is much appreciated. I am just learning your tongue, please forgive me for any misunderstandings. I intend no one any harm, I just want to find my way home again, I know not how I came to be where Rafaella found me. I was tramping through an area known as Navarre in the Forest of Irati, a mountainous region, closed my eyes for a moment, felt a cold gray mist and woke up where Rafaella found me.

Ivy

Lord Seanan turns to the woman beside him, and they speak quietly for a few minutes. Then he turns back to you.

"I do not understand your tale, but the callach assures me that you speak the truth as you understand it. I have never heard of this place called Navarre, or this forest called Irati. I have no way to help you find your home. But Merisa also says that your account reminds her of something she read as a student at Ciorcal Cathairis. She asks that you remain with us until she can learn more, to see if it will be of help. If you wish to stay, you may have guestright here until then."
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Overwhelmed by the fact they are communicating mind to mind, Elliott impulsively draws his hand back. He looks to Rafe for guidance but cannot read the mans expression. Tentatively Elliott reaches back out and touches Carrisa's hand. Though he doesn't think he needs to, as he thinks his words he says them out loud as well.

"I apologize for my initial shock. I am Elliott and we may speak like this. Can you tell me where I am?"
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

With a wry smile Ivy answers.

"I do not understand my own tale, it is as puzzling to you as it is to me. Thank you, you are very kind. If there is some way I can be of service to you please let me know. I am not one used to idle my time away."
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Overwhelmed by the fact they are communicating mind to mind, Elliott impulsively draws his hand back. He looks to Rafe for guidance but cannot read the mans expression. Tentatively Elliott reaches back out and touches Carrisa's hand. Though he doesn't think he needs to, as he thinks his words he says them out loud as well.

"I apologize for my initial shock. I am Elliott and we may speak like this. Can you tell me where I am?"

Elliott

The gentle voice spoke in his mind, "You are at Ciorcal Marlis, in the kingdom of Kirdais, but I think this means little to you. I sense that all you have seen and heard is unfamiliar to you, and that is not something I understand, for there is no place I know of that does not know of the Seven Kingdoms. I see you do not know this either, but I am not permitted to read more than the most surface of your thoughts unless you give permission. So you, knowing nothing of the world as I know it, are as strange to me as I must be to you.

"There is something else I must say to you - for one unaccustomed to such speech, as you are, there are some dangers. This will tire you quickly, and may leave you in some pain if we speak for too long.

"There is also this - if you have the gift, unawakened and untrained, too much contact mind-to-mind may bring on what we call threshold sickness, and this is dangerous in adults.

"There is another way, if you will trust us and allow us to do what we can. It is possible to place the knowledge of our language directly in your mind. It will take time, and must be done while you are held in a trance, and it will require several of us working together to accomplish this. And after, it will take some days and much practice to become fluent.

"So... Will you let us give you our speech, or will you risk more contact mind-to-mind?"

With a wry smile Ivy answers.

"I do not understand my own tale, it is as puzzling to you as it is to me. Thank you, you are very kind. If there is some way I can be of service to you please let me know. I am not one used to idle my time away."

Ivy

Lord Seanan turns again to speak to the young woman seated next to him, and then gestures to the woman on his other side to join their discussion. After a few moments, he speaks to you again.

"Guestright does not require you to do this, but it is a generous offer, and Merisa assures me that I may trust you. One thing she would ask of you, if you will, is that you set down as full an account as you can of your experience - as you have but lately learned habla, you may have the use of one of my clerks. Rafaella has said you are a master builder in your own land - if you wish, you may consult with my steward, Kievan si'ha Arago," here he nodded toward the person seated to his left, "to see if there are any projects where your knowledge may be of help. If not, there may be other tasks sie is aware of that may interest you. I would ask only that you do not travel more than two days' distance from Banailt, in case Merisa has news for you. If this suits you, Kievan will summon you in the morning to discuss this further."
    Last edited by Meherrin; 05-20-2017 at 05:34 AM.

"Thank you Lord Seanan, that is very agreeable to me."

Ivy will be able to rest easy tonght...or at least easier, full tum, clean and a plan for going forward.

"Thank you Lord Seanan, that is very agreeable to me."

Ivy will be able to rest easy tonght...or at least easier, full tum, clean and a plan for going forward.
    Ivy

With Rafaella's help, you get back to your room, and start getting ready for sleep. Rafaella asks you if you mind if she stays on in Banailt for a while to help you get settled in - as she says "I was only going to see my sister to avoid Ranald - we aren't all that close. And I can avoid him just as easily here, and take care of some business for my village at the same time."

She pauses and then continues hesitantly, "When you give your name, you never give your lineage. Is it perhaps that you are a foundling, or have broken with your family? I hope I give no offence, but.... Among us, it is common to give at least the first part of one's lineage when you meet someone new. It.... was noticed that you did not name yourself fully when Lord Seanan asked your lineage and clannas. Merisa assured him that there was no deceit in you, but still... It was noticed."

Lucas
    Lucas tries to listen to key words that he might pick up usage for. Communication must begin somewhere. Anyway, still not fully convinced that this thing that is happening is real, Lucas decides to play along for now, and not questioning the major premise of the story is an important beginning point for this. And if Lucas is going to play this game, whatever it is, he's decided to play it well.

So the language study begins.

Lucas tries to listen to key words that he might pick up usage for. Communication must begin somewhere. Anyway, still not fully convinced that this thing that is happening is real, Lucas decides to play along for now, and not questioning the major premise of the story is an important beginning point for this. And if Lucas is going to play this game, whatever it is, he's decided to play it well.

So the language study begins.
    Lucas

Sitting around one of the campfires, beside - Camilla, you think she said her name was - and a few other people, you realise that you are hearing two different languages being spoken. Most of the general conversation is in a somewhat musical language that reminds you of Italian or Spanish speakers - you've heard a fair amount of both languages on the streets (and subway cars) of NYC, but sometimes two people speaking just with each other will lapse into a harsher language that makes you think of someone in a movie with a bad Scottish accent - lots of 'ach' sounds.

Camilla notices that you are listening intently, and starts pointing at things - the bread and cheese someone gave you to eat, the rather nice mug of light beer someone else gave you, the fire, the stew simmering over the fire, the things that people are wearing or using - and saying their names. You pick up a few simple verbs, too - sit, stand, walk, eat, drink. They all seem to be in the softer language - you get the feeling that maybe this is a common tongue everyone uses, while the other language is only used in some places.

Realising that you probably sound like some kind of demented parrot, you repeat words to yourself over and over, trying to fix a small working vocabulary in your mind.

After everyone has eaten, you watch as the others go about making ready for sleep. Camilla gives you more words - wash, dry, pack (or maybe store or put away), blanket, tent, sleep - and introduces you to a young man, Harald, who takes you aside into a wooded area and teaches you words for various essential bodily functions and the places where you perform them.

You find yourself assigned to a tent with two other men, Harald and someone who introduces himself as Stefan mi'ha Connait. You roll up in the blankets you're given and think very bemusedly about everything that's happened before finally falling asleep.

In the morning - which starts very early, perhaps too early in your night-worker's opinion, there's a quick breakfast of more bread and cheese, some hot drink that's not coffee but you suspect is supposed to serve the same purpose, and dried fruit. Then it's time to break camp. Everyone pitches in, dousing what's left of the fires, taking down tents, packing things away in wagons or on muleback, filling in the privy trench, getting ready to go. You try to help, though as a city person, you're best at folding and packing blankets and other such tasks. Harald and Stefan keep an eye on you, and continue pointing at things and giving you more words.

Hen it seems everyone is ready to set off, Camilla comes up to you. Half in words, half in pantomime, she tells you that you are welcome to travel with them. Then she climbs up onto the lead wagon, and they set out, some driving or riding in the wagons, some walking in twos or threes beside them, some leading the string of mules behind.

"What do you mean by lineage?, my mother and father? Or further back?" Shrugging, "there is nothing to hide, just where I come from one does not commonly use one's lineage when introduced, we use surnames which are usually passed from father to child, often when a woman marries she will adopt her husband's surname. Let me tell you a bit about my family, then maybe you can help me with the lineage.

I was raised by my paternal grandparents, Fiona (nee Kirschbaum) and Fritz Birenbaum after my parents Meredith (nee Bircholt) and Hans died in an accident when I was two. Spent every summer with my maternal grandparents Audrey (nee Kastan) and Alfred Bircholt. "

"What do you mean by lineage?, my mother and father? Or further back?" Shrugging, "there is nothing to hide, just where I come from one does not commonly use one's lineage when introduced, we use surnames which are usually passed from father to child, often when a woman marries she will adopt her husband's surname. Let me tell you a bit about my family, then maybe you can help me with the lineage.

I was raised by my paternal grandparents, Fiona (nee Kirschbaum) and Fritz Birenbaum after my parents Meredith (nee Bircholt) and Hans died in an accident when I was two. Spent every summer with my maternal grandparents Audrey (nee Kastan) and Alfred Bircholt. "
    Ivy

"Yes, your parents. And where you are from. My full name, which I would only give on formal occasions, is Rafaella n'ha Doria ag Juris of Tramont ar Banailt i'Shielig. i name my mother first, then my father, that is my lineage, then my clannas, which is of the village of Tramont in the lands of Banailt in Shielig. My brother is Parrel mi'ha Juris ag Doria, of the same clannas. N'ha means daughter of, mi'ha means son of, and for lesca, who are neither man nor woman, we say si'ha, child of, and name father or mother first, as the person chooses. So your lineage is Ivee n'ha Meredith ag Hans. For your clannas, you say first the place you were born in, then the holding it is part of, and the kingdom last."

(OOC: I swear I'll get this tomorrow morning Meh but I just have had one hell of a day and cannot function enough right now.)

S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

"Ah, so when I am formally introduced or asked my name I say I am 'Ivy n'ha Meredith ag Hans of Santa Cruz ar California i'United States of America?"

Ivy crawls into bed.

"Rafealla, why are there two languages so commonly used? What do you call your local tongue? Could you begin to teach me tomorrow?"

(OOC: I swear I'll get this tomorrow morning Meh but I just have had one hell of a day and cannot function enough right now.)
    OOC: no worries, Carni, this is supposed to be fun, not an obligation. I hope the hell part of whatever is happening is over and that things are much better tomorrow.

"Ah, so when I am formally introduced or asked my name I say I am 'Ivy n'ha Meredith ag Hans of Santa Cruz ar California i'United States of America?"

Ivy crawls into bed.

"Rafealla, why are there two languages so commonly used? What do you call your local tongue? Could you begin to teach me tomorrow?"
    Ivy

"In a formal situation, yes. For casual meetings with new people, Ivy n'ha Meredith is enough, or Ivy n'ha Meredith of..." She hesitated a little over the new words, "Santa Cruz. Then people will know you are from very far away, because the name will be one they have never heard of, and that will excuse your lack of knowledge about so many things."

Rafaella laid down, turning on her side and leaning on her elbow, and continued. "As for languages.... It is said that once everyone in the Seven Kingdoms spoke only some form of teanga, which is what most people here in Shielig speak as their milk tongue. Though of course the people of the deserts have their own tongue, as do the Finnathi, the Sionni and, if any still live in the great northern mountsins, the Cairini. Then a new people came and they spoke habla. Over many years, of trade and intermarriage and living closely together, many people in the south came to speak habla, as did many of those in the deserts. So it is that people in the northern kingdoms mostly speak teanga, and people in the south mostly habla, but those who travel or deal with people who travel often speak both. And of course even in the south, the Rialior speak teanga among themselves, and it is the language spoken in the Ciorcallais, though of course many caillais speak both tongues."

She laughed. "I never realised how complicated it is, when you try to explain it. But anywhere you go, even in the desert or among the otherkin, someone will speak habla. And anywhere in the Seven Kingdoms, you will find people who speak teanga. And if you wish, I will teach you as much teanga as I can, but i have heard it said that those who come to it later in life find it hard to learn, while those who come to habla as adults have less hardship."

Lucas
    Full immersion learning is much faster than regular language learning, but languages never really were Lucas's thing.

On the other hand, and somewhat to his own bafflement, he did somewhere stop remembering to think 'this must not be real.'

As soon as he can, he intends to ask Camilla the question, "when you found me, how did I appear? Where did I come from? How did I get here? Where is 'here'?" or somesuch similar question list.

In the meantime, noting that they do have alcohol, Lucas hopes he can make some friends and contacts with a skill he knows he is in practice with -- the mixing of drinks.

"I will relish learning your teanga in the morning, but now I think I better sleep. Sleep well Rafaella."

Full immersion learning is much faster than regular language learning, but languages never really were Lucas's thing.

On the other hand, and somewhat to his own bafflement, he did somewhere stop remembering to think 'this must not be real.'

As soon as he can, he intends to ask Camilla the question, "when you found me, how did I appear? Where did I come from? How did I get here? Where is 'here'?" or somesuch similar question list.

In the meantime, noting that they do have alcohol, Lucas hopes he can make some friends and contacts with a skill he knows he is in practice with -- the mixing of drinks.
    Lucas

You walk alongside Camilla's wagon for most of the morning, and in between her conversations with occasional members of the caravan, she continues your language lessons. You have progressed to simple sentences, and things like pronouns, though you discover there are four singular pronouns - he/him/his, she/her/hers, sie/ser/ses, and it/it/its. You think, based on the relatively androgenous look of the two people Camilla identifed as 'sie' that this refers to gender-neutral people. You find yourself wondering how to ask "what are your pronouns?' In whatever this language is. You're getting more nouns and verbs, too - meadow, mountain, hill, cliff, climb, fall, run, and so on.

Just before noon, the caravan arrives at a village, and your suspicions) that you've fallen in with travelling merchants is confirmed. Camilla tells you to follow Harald and Stefan, while she goes off with some prosperous looking villagers. All around you, the caravaners are transforming the wagons into sales booths by the simple expedient of unfolding one side of the wagons to table height and spreading their goods out for examination. You help out where you can. You notice that they seem to specialise in light, high value items - jewelry, spices, fine cutlery and a selection of items made with glass lenses - magnifying glasses, eyeglasses, spyglasses and such, though they have limited quantities of other things, from tanned hides and cloth to pots and pans. Harald takes time to teach you the names of everything in their inventory, and the names of the coinage. Watching transactions gives you a sense of the values of the coins and the items for sale. You notice that sometimes they take goods on trade rather than money.

After all the customers have come and gone, and all the tradegoods packed away, Harald, Stefan, and a few others invite you to come with them. You end up in a tavern, where Harald gives you some coins - between words and miming, he conveys the idea that this is your share for helping with the unpacking and packing, and bringing a not-very-adept attempted thief to Stefan's attention. You find that you have learned enough of the language to order a simple lunch for yourself.

The tavern offers only wine, mead, hard cider and beer - you find yourself wondering if they know how to make spirits and liqueuers here.

After lunch, it's back on the road, you try to ask some of the questions you're burning to get answers to, but it seems they're still a little too abstract for the vocabulary you've accumulated so far. You do learn that "here" is Adenor, but whether that's the name of the world, the country, or the road you're travelling on is unclear. And apparently the caravan is headed to Cathairis, whatever that is.

"I will relish learning your teanga in the morning, but now I think I better sleep. Sleep well Rafaella."
    Ivy

In the morning, after breakfast, a page comes to take you to Steward Kievan's office; Kievan is there, and offers you a seat. Kievan is dressed in jerkin and breeches, and looks somehow much less like a woman than when dressed in robes the night before, and you remember what Rafaella said last night about naming conventions - this is Kievan si'ha Arago. You sit down and wait for sie to finish initialling some papers. That done, sie sets aside ser work and gives you ser attention.

"Greetings, Ivy, I hope you have slept well. Lord Seanan is grateful that you have offered to be of service while you are here. You understand that food and shelter are yours by guestright, and you need not offer service in compensation - so any service you do here will be held as contracted work and given appropriate recompense." Sie holds up ser hand as you begin to protest. "You are, if I understand rightly, alone here - kinless and clanless. Money can help you overcome these disadvantage. And we are fair people.

"Now, if you please, can you tell me what are your skills? I understand you are a master builder in your own land, but how that compares to our understanding of the craft I cannot know. And have you other skills that might suit some task?"

"Until I see how you build, I do not know if I can help with your building projects, I would love a tour to see how you construct your building. At home I mostly design how the buildings will look and function, I leave the exact building requirements to my engineering colleague. I know how the use of light and color can impact the feeling of a building...growing up with my artistic grandparents, taught me the impact of color and light. From my other grandparents I learned how to fix nearly everything on a farm, I also learned the art of basketry from my grandfather and a good working knowledge of growing and preserving the fruits and vegetable from they garden from my grandmother. I just do not know how what I know will work with how you do things here until I observe.

From what I have seen you have a beautiful, clean city, and I was pleasantly surprised with your indoor plumbing. I think I will have much to learn here, and I hope to find something where I help and add value.

Elliott could already feel his body quickly running out of energy and knew that what Carissa said must be true, he couldn't do this much longer. He also didn't know what "the gift" was but he wasn't going to risk getting sick. He wondered to himself if Carissa could hear his reactionary thoughts to what she said as she said it or if those were at a deeper level she couldn't see without permission.

Again, Elliott spoke his words as he thought them, choosing to be honest and hope for the best.

"There are so many questions I have about where I am, but first I will accept your gift of speech. I cannot sustain this mind-to-mind much longer."

S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

"Until I see how you build, I do not know if I can help with your building projects, I would love a tour to see how you construct your building. At home I mostly design how the buildings will look and function, I leave the exact building requirements to my engineering colleague. I know how the use of light and color can impact the feeling of a building...growing up with my artistic grandparents, taught me the impact of color and light. From my other grandparents I learned how to fix nearly everything on a farm, I also learned the art of basketry from my grandfather and a good working knowledge of growing and preserving the fruits and vegetable from they garden from my grandmother. I just do not know how what I know will work with how you do things here until I observe.

From what I have seen you have a beautiful, clean city, and I was pleasantly surprised with your indoor plumbing. I think I will have much to learn here, and I hope to find something where I help and add value.

Ivy

"Yes, you make a good point," says Kievan. "And I am assured that I may trust you - otherwise I might worry a little at arranging for a tour of our building that might reveal weaknesses in our defenses." Sie smiles. "I will have one of my assistants.... Yes, I think Rhugar will be best for this, My assistant Rhugar mi'ha Torgald show you the castle - you may ask him anything you wish about how and why Banailt was built as it is."

Kievan writes a quick note, and steps briefly outside ser office, calling for a page. Sie adds to you, " if after the tour you see any area where you think you could be of help, just let Rhugar know and he eill arrange it. Also, Lord Seanan asked if you would prepare an account of your arrival here? Ask Rhugar to show you where the library is, there are always a few clerks on duty. I think you will not have had time to learn our way of writing?" Kievan writes another note and hands it to you. "Give this to the senior clerk on duty and you will have whatever assistance you need."

By now, a middle-aged, genial man has presented himself at the door to Kievan's office. Following introductions, Rhugar leads you back toward the staircase. You ask where the library is, and he replies that it not far, just on the other side of the stairwell, and shows you the way. You realise that this is the same floor as the audience room you were taken to last night, and suggest that if you are to have a tour, you may as well begin right where you are.

"Of course. So, here we are, on the third floor, at the head of the stairs. The stairs leading up, we will not climb, as that leads to the private quarters of the lord and his family, his senior staff and advisors, and guest rooms for visiting guests of great importance. There are of course various amenities - kitchen and dining room, baths and privies, but these are much the same anywhere in the castle, so you may examine them on one of the other floors.

"Facing us, you see the doors to the lord's audience hall. To our left, where you have just been, are the offices of the steward, his staff, and Lord Seanan's advisors. As we turn right, and walk down this corridor there is the library, and that corridor on the other side leads to several meeting rooms and the grand banquet hall. Straight ahead of us is the ballroom, and along this corridor are the privies and beyond that, the upper kitchens, which of course may also be accessed through the banquet hall. Now I understand you have an interest in plumbing, which is one of the arras under my responsibility." You hear a keen note of pride in Rhugar's voice as he leads you to the privies, speaking happily and too quickly to be easily interrupted.

"There are, of course, privies on each floor, and they are built atop one another, so that the wastes may be collected in a large cistern in the cellar, which I will show you later. You will note that the kitchens are built next to the privies. Each kitchen has a chute for ashes and food waste, which leads down into the same cistern. This controls odour and improves the nature of the wastes for agricultural use."

"Now, the water pipes that provide water for handwashing and sluicing the insides of the privy chutes are part of a system that is built into the wall of the castle. It is fed from above, from what was a natural waterfall that cascaded down the cliffs right at this point. When the castle was built, the river was dammed and two large chimneys dug within the rock, with large bore pipes leading down into two cisterns in the rock at the uppermost level of the castle. All the ovens vent into one of the chimneys, and the water in that pipe is thus heated by the waste heat from the ovens. Thus, heated water as well as cold water is piped into the kitchens, baths, privies, and on the ground floor, the laundries and infirmary - for as you see, all those places that require large amounts of water are located on the same side of the castle.

"Also, in the cellar level, we have a cistern system for storing water in the event that the water upstream should be temporarily befouled or - if we see war again in our times - an enemy captures the heights and cuts off the sluices that feed from the dammed pool into the pipes. We would lose the piped water, but we would not thirst. There is an overflow outlet on the heights as well, that lets water fall naturally down the cliffside to power our mill. Waste water from the kitchen, baths and laundries also feeds into a pool just above the mill, where impurities may settle out, before joining the waterfall. But that's all outside the walls, I'll show you that later.

"There are, of course, movable panels built into the walls so we may easily open them up and access the areas where the pipes run. If you were to examine the walls carefully, you would see that the wall on this side of the building is almost three times the thickness as the others - this is because it is actually a double wall, with the pipes and the space to maintain and repair them, between the walls...."

By now, as Rhugar leads you onto the kitchen area, you finally manage to get a word in.

Elliott could already feel his body quickly running out of energy and knew that what Carissa said must be true, he couldn't do this much longer. He also didn't know what "the gift" was but he wasn't going to risk getting sick. He wondered to himself if Carissa could hear his reactionary thoughts to what she said as she said it or if those were at a deeper level she couldn't see without permission.

Again, Elliott spoke his words as he thought them, choosing to be honest and hope for the best.

"There are so many questions I have about where I am, but first I will accept your gift of speech. I cannot sustain this mind-to-mind much longer."
    Elliott

Carissa nods. "Come with me, then. I must go and prepare for this work. Go with Rafe, he will show you where you may eat, and clean yourself, and rest, and then I will come for you. We will place you into a trance. When you wake, you will be tired, but as much as you wish to sleep, you must eat first - as we also must. If you must speak to me again before we do this, please do not touch me without warning, but rather say "botenos havar?" and I will open a channel between us."

She withdraws your hand, and speaks briefly to Rafe, then stands and leaves the room with her companion. Rafe stands and motions you to follow him, talking away and pointing at various things. He leads you down a corridor into a kitchen area, where he speaks to the cook, then leads you into a small dining room. You sit down, and within a few minutes plates of cold meat, cheeses, fruit and bread are set in front of you. Rafe helps himself, and you join in, realising as yiu eat that you were hungrier than you thought you were. After eating, Rafe shows you where you can wash up, and how to use the baths and toilets, and then shows you to a small bedroom.

You do your best to show you appreciate his help, and lie down, intending just to close your eyes for a minute....

You wake up to a knock on the door. The room is dark, the daylight that was coming in through the small window above your bed when you fell asleep is gone. You open the door - it's Carissa. She gestures at you to follow her, and you do, as she leads you out of the building you were in, and into the tower building, up several flights of stairs, and into a room dimly lit with lanterns where four other people are waiting.

She points to a low table that has been padded with blankets and a pillow. You look at her fir reassurance, and when she smiles and nods, you lie down. She and three of the others arrange chairs in a rough circke around you, and sit down. The fourth sits off to one side. They converse for a few minutes, then Carissa, seated by your head, leans over and gently touches your forehead....

Your eyes open. Carissa is still sitting beside you, a bowl of dried fruit in her lap. "Don't try talking yet, but nod if you understand me." She says. She's not touching you, and her lips are moving.

Lucas
    Any society with the technological capacity to produce enough wine that it can be readily available at a trade price on par with the apparent value of doing light work at the lowest rung of the labor ladder is certainly theoretically capable of producing liqueurs as well. In any case since Lucas is apparently worth some value to the traveling merchants above what it's costing them to feed him, he decides to make several investments when the money becomes available.

1) a good rucksack.
    2) a plant pot -- Lucas has noticed several odd varieties of flora which he can't seem to identify, which is somewhat impressive given that he is quite familiar with all manner of plants, seeing as he loves growing them.
    3) a good glass container -- if they don't make liqueur here, Lucas will fashion some himself.
    4) whatever passes for a pen and journal here.

After all, he hadn't been carrying much those many days ago when he'd been...transported...to this place. (An experience he's taken to thinking of as "the event.") He has the keys to his apartment -- the rent will be due again soon, he thinks -- along with a small Swiss Army knife, and his wallet and phone. These are objects that he hid away in his clothing instinctively when he met these new people (he's reticent and hides things as a matter of course, seeing it as only prudent), thinking after all that it was a weird lucid dream. He'd forgotten about them mostly until now -- another mental note: turn cell phone on and open GPS app. Don't do this where anyone can see. He isn't sure how people would react to such trinkets, given that their technology level so far seems consistent with the 1700's at the absolute latest, since it appears that neither trains nor even canals had replaced the traveling merchant as the most efficient way to do business.

Finally, he makes several mental additions to questions he'd like answers to.
    1) What are the coins made out of,
    2) how much is that material worth, and
    3) the same questions about coins from other states or kingdoms or, since those words aren't common use and thus not yet known, Lucas would have to ask them about other "lands."

Hey, if their monetary system is open to cheap tricks like arbitrage to make vast sums of money, Lucas would like to know.

"Rhugar, I am very impressed by your gravity feed system for the plumbing of the castle, I would love to see your piping system, what kind of material do you use for the pipes? I use a very similar system for my own home. Your sanitation system fascinates me, do you also use plants and fish to help clean the gray water before letting it flow into the river or do you just let the particulate matter settle out?

How do you keep the water in the cistern from getting stagnate?

How does the town get its water? How do they work their sanitation?"

Laughing Ivy says, " I think I will have a lot more questions before the tour is done. Mmmm it smells good in here."

Any society with the technological capacity to produce enough wine that it can be readily available at a trade price on par with the apparent value of doing light work at the lowest rung of the labor ladder is certainly theoretically capable of producing liqueurs as well. In any case since Lucas is apparently worth some value to the traveling merchants above what it's costing them to feed him, he decides to make several investments when the money becomes available.

1) a good rucksack.
    2) a plant pot -- Lucas has noticed several odd varieties of flora which he can't seem to identify, which is somewhat impressive given that he is quite familiar with all manner of plants, seeing as he loves growing them.
    3) a good glass container -- if they don't make liqueur here, Lucas will fashion some himself.
    4) whatever passes for a pen and journal here.

After all, he hadn't been carrying much those many days ago when he'd been...transported...to this place. (An experience he's taken to thinking of as "the event.") He has the keys to his apartment -- the rent will be due again soon, he thinks -- along with a small Swiss Army knife, and his wallet and phone. These are objects that he hid away in his clothing instinctively when he met these new people (he's reticent and hides things as a matter of course, seeing it as only prudent), thinking after all that it was a weird lucid dream. He'd forgotten about them mostly until now -- another mental note: turn cell phone on and open GPS app. Don't do this where anyone can see. He isn't sure how people would react to such trinkets, given that their technology level so far seems consistent with the 1700's at the absolute latest, since it appears that neither trains nor even canals had replaced the traveling merchant as the most efficient way to do business.

Finally, he makes several mental additions to questions he'd like answers to.
    1) What are the coins made out of,
    2) how much is that material worth, and
    3) the same questions about coins from other states or kingdoms or, since those words aren't common use and thus not yet known, Lucas would have to ask them about other "lands."

Hey, if their monetary system is open to cheap tricks like arbitrage to make vast sums of money, Lucas would like to know.
    Lucas

The slow journey toward Cathairis - which, Lucas has discovered, is a major city - continues. Constant practice with the language Camilla and the others are teaching him is beginning to pay off, his ability to convey increasingly abstract ideas is developing. The days are much the same, walk, camp, walk camp, broken by occasional stops in villages about the same size as the first one. He remembers to try out the GPS on his cell one night when he answers a call of nature, but there's nothing to pick up, anywhere.

He helps out where he can, and the merchants continue to pay him, though the more he sees money changing hands for goods and services, the clearer an idea he gets of the value of things, and he realises that he's not being paid much - just enough for a meal here (tavern food and drink are apparently cheap compared to more tangible goods) or an inexpensive purchase there. The kinds of things he really wants - paper, glassware - are currently considerably beyond his means. Even a well-made rucksack - he's seen one or two among the wares of local craftspeople in the villages they've passed through - will require him to save up his earnings.

The coins seem to be made of metal - you're not sure what, but it's lightweight and clearly not gold or silver. All the coins you've seen so far are of the same metal, varying only in shape and design, which seems odd, as they clearly have significantly different values. Another mystery to try to ask about.

"Rhugar, I am very impressed by your gravity feed system for the plumbing of the castle, I would love to see your piping system, what kind of material do you use for the pipes? I use a very similar system for my own home. Your sanitation system fascinates me, do you also use plants and fish to help clean the gray water before letting it flow into the river or do you just let the particulate matter settle out?

How do you keep the water in the cistern from getting stagnate?

How does the town get its water? How do they work their sanitation?"

Laughing Ivy says, " I think I will have a lot more questions before the tour is done. Mmmm it smells good in here."
    Ivy

"Yrs, I love visiting the kitchens, they always smell so good," says Rhugar. He shows you the way the oven exhaust is handled, and the compost chute he mentioned earlier. Taking you to the back of the kitchens, he shows you where the castle walls give way to smooth-hewn rock. "As you see here, we have excavated into the cliff face in some places. Back here are storage arras, and over here...." He leads you to a walled-off section, then continues, "are the accessways to the two chimneys I mentioned. The exhaust flue requires cleaning regularly, and of course we must inspect the pipes regularly. This is done at night, when the fires are off - you will find we have little heated water after the kitchens close for the night, but the early morning baking heats it up again."

As he leads you back to the stairs via the banquet room - he notes that as the lord is in his audience hall he cannot take you there - "but of course you have seen it already" - he answers your other questions.

"When we reach the ground floor, I will take you between the walls to see the piping at close hand. We use copper for intake, and large hardened clay pipes for outflow. And the water in the cisterns circulates - it flows in from above, and once the cisterns are full, we open outflow valves so that water flows out into the stream at the same rate it flows into the cistern. When we need to conserve water, we close down the outflow except when drawing water off for use.

"For personal use, the village relies on well-water - we also have wells in the cellar area, and in the stables and kennels - but many come to the castle for laundries and bathing facilities. For privies in private homes, most use a commode in which waste can be collected and composted, much like a miniature version of the privy and cistern system we have in the castle. The composted material is used in gardens, or given to local farms.

"Legend tells us that when we first came to this land, the soils were poor. The gods gave us responsibility over the lands, and the plants and animals that were here before us, to sustain and improve where we could, doing no harm." Rhagar laughed. "I'm not sure I believe in the gods, but it is a very practical thing to be told to do. Creatures who foul their nests do not long survive. What kind of people would destroy their land rather than preserve it?"

Lucas
    Given that all the coins are of the same metal, arbitrage seems like a less likely path for mass money-making, but there's still always the chance that no one has discovered the wonders of fractional reserve banking wherever this is.

Speaking of "wherever this is," Lucas is quite unsure what to do about the lack of GPS signal. This implies that either, (1) he has been transported to a faraway time/place, (2) this is quite an elaborate hoax, or (3) this dream is taking a really long time and is really realistic. Given the insane improbability of (1), typically you'd go for (2) or (3), but as time passes, the idea that (1) is the conclusion has to start looking more and more inevitable.

Lucas shudders at the thought.

But anyway, Lucas does decide that he will stay with the travelling group until the big city is reached, just because it seems likely that if there is an inn-type establishment that would use a helping hand, it'd be in the city. When was the last time he'd filled out a resume?

But anyway, Lucas does decide that he will stay with the travelling group until the big city is reached, just because it seems likely that if there is an inn-type establishment that would use a helping hand, it'd be in the city. When was the last time he'd filled out a resume?
    Although you still have not acquired a pot for growing plants - but perhaps that is something better left until you are settled somewhere? - you have been looking closely at the plants you see around you. In the agricultural areas near the villages, you see plants that look familiar (even if some are only familiar from pictures) - wheat, corn, apples, even some hardy grapes - but the plants in the forests are for the most part quite unfamiliar. Vegetables you've seen people cooking are a mixture - you've seen potatoes and some common pulses, but most other vegetables and fruits are strange. The pattern holds for animals. You've seen mules, horses, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, dogs and cats - and mice - but the wild animals you've seen glimpses of in the forests are strange. Your dream, if that's what it is, is oddly consistent.

One morning you wake up to an unusual hubbub outside the tent. You stick your head out and see that the camp is packing quickly. One of the traders motions to you to get ready; as you help pack, you gather that one of the men has come down with something overnight, something too serious for the trader in herbs and salves, who is also a sort of healer, to deal with. Apparently there is a place nearby - Ciorcal Shiral is the name you hear - where more skilled medical help is available.

One everyone is moving, Camilla calls you over. "We hope the caillais help Davin, " she says, "but maybe they have help for you too. You come by draoichta. Maybe draoichta sends you back, if you want."

(OOC: Pass -- Lucas will simply do as asked / continue absorbing as much information as possible. You may continue!)

Ivy

"Yrs, I love visiting the kitchens, they always smell so good," says Rhugar. He shows you the way the oven exhaust is handled, and the compost chute he mentioned earlier. Taking you to the back of the kitchens, he shows you where the castle walls give way to smooth-hewn rock. "As you see here, we have excavated into the cliff face in some places. Back here are storage arras, and over here...." He leads you to a walled-off section, then continues, "are the accessways to the two chimneys I mentioned. The exhaust flue requires cleaning regularly, and of course we must inspect the pipes regularly. This is done at night, when the fires are off - you will find we have little heated water after the kitchens close for the night, but the early morning baking heats it up again."

As he leads you back to the stairs via the banquet room - he notes that as the lord is in his audience hall he cannot take you there - "but of course you have seen it already" - he answers your other questions.

"When we reach the ground floor, I will take you between the walls to see the piping at close hand. We use copper for intake, and large hardened clay pipes for outflow. And the water in the cisterns circulates - it flows in from above, and once the cisterns are full, we open outflow valves so that water flows out into the stream at the same rate it flows into the cistern. When we need to conserve water, we close down the outflow except when drawing water off for use.

"For personal use, the village relies on well-water - we also have wells in the cellar area, and in the stables and kennels - but many come to the castle for laundries and bathing facilities. For privies in private homes, most use a commode in which waste can be collected and composted, much like a miniature version of the privy and cistern system we have in the castle. The composted material is used in gardens, or given to local farms.

"Legend tells us that when we first came to this land, the soils were poor. The gods gave us responsibility over the lands, and the plants and animals that were here before us, to sustain and improve where we could, doing no harm." Rhagar laughed. "I'm not sure I believe in the gods, but it is a very practical thing to be told to do. Creatures who foul their nests do not long survive. What kind of people would destroy their land rather than preserve it?"

"Composting is a wonderful way to enrich soil. You have a wonderful system here very impressed. What kind of study and work did you do to prepare you for this position?"

Elliott nods to show his understanding and points at the bowl of fruit remembering Carissa's warning that he must eat. He begins to try to say something without thinking but his mouth opens and nothing comes out.

S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18