Thread: GenChat's favourite spy flicks

Default GenChat's favourite spy flicks

I've been a little under the weather and haven't been posting any movie genre posts lately. But I thought I'd pick up where i left off....

With spy flicks. There's a lot of films based on spies and spying, which ones are your favourites? Classics like The Man Who Never Was and The Ipcress File? Spy franchises like the Bond, Bourne or Mission: Impossible? Send-ups like Austin Powers or The Kingsman? TV remakes like The Avengers (Steed and Mrs. Peel, not the Marvel gang) or The Man from U.N.C.L.E.?

Talk about the spy films you've watched and enjoyed, and I'll take the ones most frequently mentioned and make a poll.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Spy Game
    Ronin
    Traitor
    The Conversation
    (though I am sure others will mention things that will make me think "Oh yeah! That one")

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Meh,
    I hope you are feeling beeter.

The Bourne series
    I liked the Kings Service one a couple of years ago, too.

I think I watched all 007's, but I don't remember much about the old ones.
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    I think I watched all 007's, but I don't remember much about the old ones.
    Which ones were your favourites, from the ones you remember watching?

I was always a big fan of the early Connery films, but I must confess that Daniel Craig has become my favourite Bond.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Danial Craig has been my favorite bond, but I'm young enough where he was the bond I had growing up and then I circled back to the older ones.

I think my favorite would be Skyfall and a big part of that is the soundtrack.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Jason Bourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Does Pink Panther count?

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Does Pink Panther count?
    If Austin Powers counts, I think Pink Panther counts.

The Jack Ryan movies with Harrison Ford were great. The Mission: Impossible movies are fun, 2 more than the others and Tom Cruise amazes me with what he can do stunt-wise at his age. Pierce Brosnan was my favorite Bond, but Sean and Daniel are close.
    I read the Bourne books before seeing the movies and the movies were so desperately different that I didn't enjoy them as much as I wanted.
    Mr and Mrs Smith is pure awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    The Jack Ryan movies with Harrison Ford were great. The Mission: Impossible movies are fun, 2 more than the others and Tom Cruise amazes me with what he can do stunt-wise at his age. Pierce Brosnan was my favorite Bond, but Sean and Daniel are close.
    I read the Bourne books before seeing the movies and the movies were so desperately different that I didn't enjoy them as much as I wanted.
    Mr and Mrs Smith is pure awesomeness.
    Oh, yes, Mr and Mrs Smith is great - I just rewatched it a few days ago, in fact.

I would agree on Mr and Mrs Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    And
    The Bourne Identity
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Burn After Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Burn After Reading.
    I hadn't heard of this film before, but after reading a couple of reviews, I am intrigued. Great cast, and of course the Coen brothers usually do interesting stuff.

Not usually a fan of spy films, but I did like Pink Panther -- both the '60s stuff directed by Blake Edwards, who cast Roberto Benigni as Clouseau at one point in the '90s I think (which I note only b/c he's one of my favorite actors), and the '00s reboots with Steve Martin.

The Kingsmen is a very british spy film that I quite enjoyed. Looking forward to the second film this year
    CM M.Hudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Quote Originally Posted by CM M.Hudson View Post
    The Kingsmen is a very british spy film that I quite enjoyed. Looking forward to the second film this year
    Yes, yes, yes. Maybe it was very British, but this Canadian loved it.

Colon Firth was brilliant. Reminded me a bit of Patrick MacNee's John Steed - exaggerated, but the same deadly serious but also tongue in cheek approach to the gentlemanly art of violence in Her Majesty's name.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Actually, yes, I did like this one. As much for its very Britishness as anything. No pandering to Hollywood protocols here. Or not many.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

That was movie I meant in my post. I thought it was quite Bondish, but with an air of poking good natured fun at the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Which ones were your favourites, from the ones you remember watching?

I was always a big fan of the early Connery films, but I must confess that Daniel Craig has become my favourite Bond.
    let's say the last two, Graig is good!
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    let's say the last two, Graig is good!
    That would be Skyfall and Spectre. Good choices.

So.... My own favourite spy flicks....

Skyfall
    Kingsman
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    No Way Out
    The Manchurian Candidate
    The Hunt for Red October

Ooh, I'll second the original Manchurian Candidate. That was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Ooh, I'll second the original Manchurian Candidate. That was pretty good.
    There was a remake?

On second thought, no, don't tell me about it.