6 35.29%
  • Gebne

2 11.76%
  • Lurk

2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Teal Nominations

Default Teal Nominations

Over the past 6 months Senior Forum Members have been nominating those people that they feel deserve promoting to the role of Forum Ambassadors.

Ambassadors are exemplary forum citizens who are required to uphold the finest qualities of the forum community.

Anyone can be considered for that role regardless of their current forum rank providing they meet some basic requirements of behavior, activity and interaction. In general Ambassadors are responsible for helping new forum members, answering game and community questions as well as contribute to the overall community.

The following people have been nominated for the role of ambassador, in no particular order:

Meherrin
    5m4llPOX
    Dan Chak
    Sapient
    Woden
    Cisalpine
    Flossie Schmumpus
    Gebne
    Lurk

This is your opportunity to vote for the person(s) you feel most deserve the title of Ambassador.
    There are 4 ambassador titles available and these will be given based on the top 4 voted candidates.

CM M.Hudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

It might be helpful for those of us who aren't as familiar with those nominated if the post linked to their respective profiles. I've been slowly poking through the old posts of those nominated to get a better sense of who deserves a vote. Though the fact that the forums are so slow these days makes finding Travian related posts difficult. They seem to favor gen chat, which is the most active area of the forum but are gen chat posts really worthy of teal?

I would prefer a more objective means of figuring this out. Sure you can get nominated but those nominated should have some sort of evaluation instead of a simple vote. For instance figure out how many posts they made in each type of forum (embassy vs gen chat for instance). You could also let those nominated select 5 of their best posts to be reviewed by the community and/or current teals and graded on a certain scale. Scoring could have factors such as depth, relevance, helpfulness etc. graded on a 5 point scale each and averaged.

Of course some of this may go on behind the scenes where current Teals nominate in the first place. Adding a more objective measure would require a bit more work for the process, since most of it would have to be manually "graded" but I feel it would make the process more substantive and meaningful. The communinity vote could be kept but offering the objective measures (data) to the community makes it less of a shot in the dark or popularity contest.

To Avoid a Double Post:
    I've finished a cursory look at those nominated. I would prefer a more in depth look but I've only got so much time to dedicate looking through years of posts. The trend I noticed before stands, the majority of contributions at least within the last few years have been gen chat heavy. I personally feel those posts shouldn't be grounds (at least alone) to make someone an Ambassador. Game related posts should take precedence. Another question is substance, it doesn't take much to drop a couple of sentences often. I would rather a teal be someone who drops a couple good posts a month vs someone who drops hundreds of average at best per month.

My search focused on the last 2 years of activity and I compared those nominated to two teals who I think represent the point and purpose the best. Those would be Tineren and LordBane, who I believe exemplify Ambassador's who contribute to the community regularly and substantively. They have different styles but accomplish the same mission.

With that I can safely vote for Lurk, Meherrin and Dan Chak. Without diving deeper I can't figure out how to determine who to elevate from my maybe pool. The maybe pool and in particular the no pool didn't get the nod because I felt the gen chat contributions were vastly larger than Travian related contributions. Whether it be the Embassies, Q&A, General etc. there are many areas to make your presence felt beside GC.

I wish I had a full tabulation analyzing the posts & threads of those nominated but the time needed to do it alone is too great and there is currently no way to automate the data collection. Maybe the new forum software will provide a means to better collect data points so this process can be more objective. Or at the very least objective measures can be established a team developed to deep dive on those nominated in the future.

A small note on user name spelling: 5m4llPOX should have a 0 as the O.
    Last edited by BlackBlade; 04-28-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Avoiding Double Post

Teals use to be nominated and decided by crew. Forum Members wanted to make that decision yourself so that is what I have provided.

There are background checks that are carried out but you have to decide who should represent you as ambassadors.

If I do as you suggested and start linking posts, or am any more involved in the process I would be accused of biasing the process which was the whole reason we moved from the inhouse process in the first place.
    CM M.Hudson
    Community Manager

You are right, any change would muster criticism. But criticism alone isn't reason enough not to do something, it also needs to be relevant and deep. I've seen some parties here oppose something seemingly just because it is "change".

I get making the process seem less like a good ol boys club, but democracy by itself doesn't necessarily avoid that.

To avoid derailing this thread I will avoid further discussion here but I have thoughts I'll try and get into a new thread soon.

To be fair, some of what you are seeing is a result of a consolidation of the teal titles. Architects represented the game section, Ambassadors represented the embassies, and Playwrights represented the general section. Now we are all Ambassadors, but that doesn't mean we all suddenly exemplary contributors to the embassies. So it's perfectly fine to have some Ambassadors that primarily contribute in the general chat. That said, since the nominations were given by senior members, it might be a good idea next time to post a reminder in the embassies when the nominations open for next round, since some of the senior members in the embassies rarely post outside of them.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    To be fair, some of what you are seeing is a result of a consolidation of the teal titles.
    I actually hadn't considered that. I recalled coming across that when I returned and acquainted myself with recent forum content. That said I re-read the debate and poll threads concerning the groups/ranks and your point makes a lot of sense. My position is definitely being influenced by my opinion that gen chat contributions are worth less relative to other contributions. Of course that is only my opinion and I wouldn't want to force that viewpoint on others. My thought being that you can talk politics etc. anywhere on the web but you can only really talk Travian here. Of course that is only my opinion and I wouldn't want to force that viewpoint on others.

I can see why the teals were consolidated and can generally agree but I think things still need some tweaking. In having a single teal I would expect them to be diversified in their posts. I'm not saying a perfect 33-33-33 % split between the three original content categories but I'd say no more than 65-70% in any single content category. I would also say that there should be at least some recent content in all the content categories so that no category lands at 0% relative to the others in a players post distribution. There is also a question of post quality, a funny line I saw in the rank discussion thread and/or poll thread about diarrhea of the mouth.

A couple of questions:

Are those who are nominated ever asked if they are actually interested before reaching the public vote?

Second, is there a public list of the current nomination & voting process avaliable anywhere? If not can we get a stickied post in one of our many forum sections? I know we have the original poll thread but the procedure never seems to be fully spelled out for the Teals beyond having nominations in general. Having it spelled out similar to the forum rules wouldn't be a bad thing - unless of course it exists already in which case would someone kindly direct me towards it?

This is the most open it has ever been.
    Previously, staff would decide and the recipient would next log in to find they'd been promoted. This participation by the forum public is the first time it has happened.

I heavily disagree on your other points for various reasons but I digress.

As for your questions:
    a) Those who were nominated this round had the ability to see that they were nominated.
    b) You won't get any value out of the link for various reasons but here it is. Link. Sorry but I'm unable to explain anything else here except for 'permissions' and you won't get any other answer that is more forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Since when has Betty White not been an option around here?
    S1-R7: Kizmet ~ Care - #1 Attacker (Terse is a b***h)
    S2-R6: Symphony ~ FEAR - WW 75 to 0 http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2351573f0f7
    S1: Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by Enyalois View Post
    You're actually in an alliance, that right there means I know what huggling is

Quote Originally Posted by CM M.Hudson View Post
    Ambassadors are exemplary forum citizens who are required to uphold the finest qualities of the forum community.
    Well pffffft... That means im never going to be qualified.. lol
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by odinloki View Post
    Well pffffft... That means im never going to be qualified.. lol
    Bane got one. There's hope for you
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

Bahahhahaaa, touche.. lol
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

Hey, I was nominated. Once again I have been robbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

There is always next time TB IE September
    CM M.Hudson
    Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by CM M.Hudson View Post
    There is always next time TB IE September
    For the record, I'm "TB," presumably because I'm highly infectious but easily vaccinated against. The person you were going for was "blaze." Presumably either because he's hot, or because you need a team of burly dudes and a big red truck to get rid of him. Not really sure which.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    For the record, I'm "TB," presumably because I'm highly infectious but easily vaccinated against. The person you were going for was "blaze." Presumably either because he's hot, or because you need a team of burly dudes and a big red truck to get rid of him. Not really sure which.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Damn that's a good point.