Thread: Challenge

Default Challenge

Ok. So there was an interesting convo going on in S4. It's starting too soon, so here's my idea.

Next S1 server. We pick 4 of the undeniably BEST Leaders and assign a quad. Then let's go all football and have draft picks. This will be a FUN ONLY NO BUTTHURT server. Let's split all the players, friends or not and have a REAL WW race. This could get very interesting as some of us know others strategies. It will team up veteran players with newer ones so they can learn how to play better, harder, stronger, faster. (Bionic Man for you youngun's)i Now, some people come as a set. I know this. But I think we can work it out. Like only one dual puts their name out there for the draft. You can have a silent dual. Or we can draft pick dual teams. After all the picks are done, anyone can add more duals as needed. I dunno. But I DO know some will only dual with others. So we'd have to figure that in somehow.

The "Leaders" for the draft picks would be voted on (only if they want to play of course). Once your "team" is picked, y'all can work out leadership, council, democracy, or supreme rulership. Up to you.

Now the tricky part will be spies. I would hope, in the interest of doing this as a FUN server that there would be none. Some ribbing on the forums, yes. That's part of the fun of Travian. But I would LOVE to see a full server where it's FUN and not stressful (much) and not filled with so much disrespect and vileness as we have seen.

If y'all do this, I will come out of retirement for THAT server. (I know, it fills you with such joy to hear that)

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas???
    (I picked S1 to give us time to debate, discuss, plan. But it could be any server. S1 is just my "home")

I really like the idea of draft picked teams.
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

It opens an interesting dynamic and could be easily implemented by way of google form/doc

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Not really in favour. I prefer picking my teammates.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Normally, me too. But look what happens when we do that. I was looking for a new, fun only server where we could actually fight our friends. For example....how fun would it be to kill Androids army? Lolololol. (I LOVE Android) It would also give us a chance to play with some we've never played with before. Like I said, just a discussion, and can be any server. I miss the old days where we actually had a 4 quad war and EGH actually made a huge difference, as well as WW anvils.

I generally like the idea but I'm worried about the fact there are too many people who will refuse to play with certain players. That being said, I would really like to see at least 4 solid teams show up to the next restart of US1. I feel like it was kind of starting to form when we talked about US4 but they definitely weren't perfectly balanced.

That being said, the idea of a draft sounds quite fun (as long as I get to keep my dual ). I think it comes down to how many people you can get on board with the idea.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

I am fairly certain BTDT will get split up between at least two teams. This is not a bad thing. We learned this round that overmatching the opposition leads to a very dull round. Now we are forced to build a sandcastle to make the round end ASAP.

I think all of us who like playing a certain caliber game, need to foster each other and encourage strong opponents. We can only play to our utmost and have fun if we have opponents who push us to play at that level. These opponents are to be cherished, they are not the enemy, they are friends who make the game better.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

I love this idea. I also love 'my' team, but this...this is an interesting idea.

There would have to be numerous 'rules' in place to make it work. Duals, to start. To make that work, everyone could declare as a 'personal team'. You get drafted as your dual team, not as yourself. There may also need to be limits on the number of duals on said teams, or you may find people jumping onto accounts simply to stay with their friends after they have been drafted elsewhere.

There would have to be protocols in place for those who ignore the 'draft', and spawn wherever they want cause friends. There would need to be an agreement between teams on how to deal with draft dodgers period

I don't think that players who put their name in should be drafted. I think a lottery may be the fairest way to decide. Having said that, I'll also contradict myself (cause why not)...a lottery could also result in a very unbalanced teams, simply through the 'unluck' of the draw.

Lastly...those 4 leaders...they should be able to pick 1, 2 or 3 core leaders as part of their team, right off the bat, and pending those leaders agreeing to be with them. Leaders do not exist in a vacuum...their past successes are a testament to the people they have surrounded themselves with, not to themselves.
    Leader of KoN (S5), TLDRDTX (S3), CIN and PaN (2016 tournie)
    NI!

I've been around too long and can think of too many people I would not share a tag with, let alone accept leadership from. So I guess I'm out if the next game if this is the way everyone wants to go.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Well, you've been BADLY burned in the past, so I understand. For me, there's only a few I would refuse. And even those are good players. My concern is dualing. I ONLY dual with those I trust implicitly. I mean there's bound to be late starters. At some point the "draft" would end and I think new players not involved could be recruited. Again, it also doesn't have to be S1. I do get it as there are some players (especially the drama queens) that I would not like to play with. Of course, there's also no stopping a "rogue" alliance determined to cause havoc from popping up either. You know, those players that simply like to smash things. They could spawn in the middle and give all 4 quads grief.

I really just wanted a full server, with all four quads in play, with the damn good players spread out and a full fledged (but FUN) war. If it's done in FUN, there shouldn't be a problem. Like, in FUN, I'd attack the hell out of Moh, Nathan, boxy, Jordan, Greg, Bugzy etc. Although, I truly am a better anvil, bugzy taught me alot and made being a hammer fun.

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I would love to see us try. Maybe there's a way for players to join later. And you can find out who's on the team.

I'm reminded of Tazz. Everyone was so leery, not only of spies, but in his playing style and personality. I was up really early one morning and he and the anvil turned hammer (don't know if it's ok to use her name) and I were in the chat. I was ASTOUNDED at Tazz and his personality. I was so impressed by his personal life, and his views. He's a funny guy, and my respect for him as a person and a player jumped him to the top of damn good players in my eyes. All of BTDT are excellent players. We REALLY lucked out. But now think of DA. He's been blinded or over indulged in the kool aid. But for the most part on here he's handled himself pretty well with the trolling, and I find I wouldn't mind playing with him. POP. I admit I got a tad disgusted once with one of her posts, but again, she holds herself impeccably on the forums, and I would enjoy playing with her and getting to know her better. At the same time, there ARE players I've played with that I have ZERO interest in playing with again. Morgan, I agree with you AND flower on some of those players.

If it DOES come to pass and a player finds themselves on a team with a player they refuse to play with, maybe "trades", just like in football could occur. Or just TRY it, and if it doesn't work, quit. Just don't buy gold until you're sure. Or wait. Maybe there will be one player on a team you like that would enjoy having a dual.

I DO understand completely your hesitancy on this kind of idea. Being betrayed is a NASTY feeling. As you know, I experienced that recently in RL. NOTHING compares. At the same time, I hope you keep an open mind and see if there may be a place for you. Because a server would suck without you in it.

I hope it garners enough interest that we can maybe try it. If not draft pics, start with leaders and pick a team. If things become unbalanced we can come up with a way to even them out. Essentially these will be pre-formed teams. If they are established before server start, changes can be made. But, we have to have enough interest to begin with. If y'all are playing other servers, copy the link to this thread and share. Let's get more opinions, thoughts and ideas.

I'd hate to see Travian die, and that's what's happening. To see something like this, I would even (shudder) offer to be in a co-leadership position again. As someone mentioned above, Leaders and co-leaders should maybe be chosen first. Then you can have discussions as a leadership team on who to draft. Maybe it can even pull some retired players back in for the simple novelty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisalpine View Post
    To see something like this, I would even (shudder) offer to be in a co-leadership position again.
    Not it..!!

/me likes the idea, but won't lead..
    Last edited by odinloki; 04-24-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

I wanna play, but no one in their right minds would draft me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    I wanna play, but no one in their right minds would draft me ^^
    I'd draft you. But I'm not leadership material. Unless it comes to raising hell at everyone, then I'm great at it. And booting people..... Let's not forget that's a skill I excel at!!

I would much rather see us1 become an official newbie training ground, where you all could pass along your expertise. Then you bored veterans could choose a server where you could impress each other with your spear hammers and take out your personal vendettas on each other. Then, those of us who actually play Travian could still enjoy the game on the other servers.

I suggested this a few years ago on a draft. I see that the relaunch on S1 is shaping up nice. I have had a short conversation with Kerzi but lets see how this next one shapes up. I think there are a few preformed teams coming. If leaders of these groups are interested in setting up some ground rules on snuggling and trying to keep a 4 quad war open, then lets talk and get the leaders together. I would love nothing more than a good 4 quad war on the next launch. Maybe if this next round becomes the regular Travian snooze fest as the US domain has started to become, then we can try and get the leaders together and do a draft.
    US1:
    R4 Poopydiapers Rebels and Grassy
    R6 Lethal Jimmy: Ethos http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2303146e4a1
    R7 Julius Pleaser
    US2: R6 Churchill Downs: Bacon (dual) http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2354796f9e4 The rebuild http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2354849ce46
    US3: R8 Evolution http://travian-reports.net/us/report/223457ba7b3
    US6: R4 Snowflake - GAH EGR (wish I had saved the report)
    US7: R3 Lethaljimmy - ACME (EGH should have saved these ones too)

OHAIDERE!!!! I'm still waiting for the account name that you said Erik is/was playing on this round. You never answered. You just kind of faded away.....

Im not sure I would like the draft thing.... No group would pay me what I'm worth!!! Though I might be willing to be bought! j/k

My issue is Ive played with prob half of those that would come here. Many of them I consider "family" and I know for sure the biggest part I would have have to be on the "enemy's" side. Not sure I am evil enough to attack a friend unless its say Erik and I owe him some payback....
    The power of Murdok......
    wow i love that Murdok guy he ain't even a Mh anymore but i am still scared he will ban me lol

... Reputation and respect are earned, not given, no matter how big your ban-stick may be. He ain't no Murdok.

I play because of the people, a draft, could work, but with the whispers I hear of preformed teams coming, I think it will not be needed. What the leaders of the preformed teams will want to do is choose quads and have a non-huggling pact for outside their quad.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Hai everybody

If this does happen, I would be very interested in playing. I shall lurk and keep up to date.

I like the theory, in theory, but my concern would be with the close friendships between those who have played since Travian was a child, security would be a nightmare. Not saying there are people in the game with not ethics, but....there are people in the game with no ethics.

Scenario: A gets drafted to team 1, his BFF gets drafted to team 2. A doesn't LIKE team 1, or doesn't like the leadership style or feels he got the short stick on cropper/cap claiming, or, or or. A tells BFF information. I foresee a ton of spying, betrayals, and broken friendships.

Like Flower, I like the sound of the rumors that are flying around on the next s1. There are multiple STRONG teams coming...some coming out of retirement, to make a "who's who" of the .us servers. This could be fun.

Q
    S1 R8 SIO - Win
    S4 R8 SIO - Win
    S3 R9 FWB - Win.

Question

Que said, "Like Flower, I like the sound of the rumors that are flying around on the next s1. There are multiple STRONG teams coming...some coming out of retirement, to make a "who's who" of the .us servers. This could be fun."

I have heard that also. There are already preformed groups starting up.

Since we have no control over who spawns where, there are infinite possibilities, including two pre-formed groups choosing the same quad. We have all played long enough to know that if that happens, either they team up and beat the crap out of everyone else or plunge their quad into a blood bath that removes them from end game.

While I love cisalpine's idea, rather than debate a draft, let the pre-formed groups step up and pre-negotiate a Gentlemen's Agreement. The agreement could include who takes which quad, who is leading, policy for new players (the north east always draws the most newbies.....) policy for people who are caught spying, etc.

Travian admin can be counted on to take care of multi-accounts and botting, but it may generate more interest if there were consequences to the behaviors that would turn people away from playing the server. As a group, we do not need admin to write a rule such as "no spies tolerated." Anyone who violates the terms of the gentleman's agreement will know in advance that there are consequences agreed upon in advance.

This looks to me like it may well happen. So I'd like to make a prediction. The team with the most experienced female players will win. And I like to play with the gals, so...

Excel

Quote Originally Posted by m.walker.m View Post
    This looks to me like it may well happen. So I'd like to make a prediction. The team with the most experienced female players will win. And I like to play with the gals, so...

Excel
    I like to play with the gals, too.

I could see myself picking people like Witchey, Murdok, Anvil, Jordan, Sloppet, Vicious Machine, Lord Bane, Corey, Montana Stokem, Lucky.. And a laundry list of others..

The concept of this is awesome on paper..but not sure how it would play out in reality..
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.