Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputation

Default Reputation

So I've been gone for a bit, just got out of the hospital in fact. I wanted to uprep Rok (of all people) and couldn't. Rep was shut down in February. When exactly will it be reinstated?
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

Quote Originally Posted by Cisalpine View Post
    So I've been gone for a bit, just got out of the hospital in fact. I wanted to uprep Rok (of all people) and couldn't. Rep was shut down in February. When exactly will it be reinstated?
    From what I read, there was some abusing of the system. Not sure how long everyone will be punished for however many were involved, though. There's been a few I wanted to rep and couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Dan! One of my favorite duals!!! Xoxoxo
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

Quote Originally Posted by Cisalpine View Post
    Dan! One of my favorite duals!!! Xoxoxo
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

You can still rep, just not in general chat.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    You can still rep, just not in general chat.
    The problem is that with so little conversation happening in any of the forums, the amount of posts deserving rep of either sort is thin. Removing the one place where there a number of different people talk, with all the other restrictions on when one can rep who and so on, means that I can't rep in the other areas because I don't have the required variety of people to rep to cycle through and rep the same person the next tine they say something good. (I do not downrep except in very rare circumstances. I think I've given negative rep fewer than 10 times in my entire career on the forum.)
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Yeah, whoever was being an idiot with the rep, fess up and agree to give it up. The chance of Cis repping me is too good to pass up!!!
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Same person that always abused the rep system, Kurtz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Same person that always abused the rep system, Kurtz.
    Lol, true. I was always neg repped just do he could +rep someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.

My internet brings all the nerds to the yard, And there like, Its better than yours, Damn right its better than yours, I can share with you, But I have to charge!
    La la-la la la, I know Rok wants it! La la-la la la, and it's on Wifi! Imagine if I bothered to tether it! La la-la la la, nah nah nah nah nah! La la-la la la!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Lol, true. I was always neg repped just do he could +rep someone else.
    You think?

Rep had become meaningless the way it was being used in this area. In addition it was being used in ways that were not intended or in a way that did more harm then good.
    Rep will not be returning to this area and given the expected changes to travian forums is unlikely to return.

A different method of highlighting contribution has been trialed on other company forums and i would expect something more meaningfull will replace reputation

Quote Originally Posted by CM M.Hudson View Post
    Rep had become meaningless the way it was being used in this area. In addition it was being used in ways that were not intended or in a way that did more harm then good.
    Rep will not be returning to this area and given the expected changes to travian forums is unlikely to return.

A different method of highlighting contribution has been trialed on other company forums and i would expect something more meaningfull will replace reputation
    But forum users here have been here for years and are accustomed to giving reputation to delightful, funny, intelligent posts that members make, it builds comraderie and keeps members here, taking away the rep system in general chat has made the forums more bland.

Reputation rewards talent and creativity, some posts deserve rep and it's like walking past a delightful street musician but unable to give money because it's against the law. A sad society.

There is nothing more beautiful than making a post and then signing on to see a red notifications sign, it's a sign that someone noticed - even if it's a neg rep from the haters, like Kurtz. Taking away the rep system from Gen Chat is like taking abortion away from hippies, like Burn or heavy diesel powered trucks that roll coal away from rednecks, like Blazin.
    Last edited by Summer; 04-14-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Now in general chat you can only report people, it is becoming like police state, or like ... I will remain silent!

We need revolution!

http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

I thought as long as the customers/clients (Us!) were happy, none of this didn't matter. I don't see anyone complaining about the rep system in the gen chat. People should be free to do what they want, including neg repping someone because you're petty and you don't like them. It's human nature. You can't ban that and you shouldn't.

Plus, a lot of folks here spend more time on the gen chat than the embassies. You know we like to talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    But forum users here have been here for years and are accustomed to giving reputation to delightful, funny, intelligent posts that members make, it builds comraderie and keeps members here, taking away the rep system in general chat has made the forums more bland.

Reputation rewards talent and creativity, some posts deserve rep and it's like walking past a delightful street musician but unable to give money because it's against the law. A sad society.

There is nothing more beautiful than making a post and then signing on to see a red notifications sign, it's a sign that someone noticed - even if it's a neg rep from the haters, like Kurtz. Taking away the rep system from Gen Chat is like taking abortion away from hippies, like Burn or heavy diesel powered trucks that roll coal away from rednecks, like Blazin.
    It was also used to show disdain and created a niche group of members, cast form people with different opinions, etc.

That's why the vast majority of us are liberals. It culls dissension. It's not a good motivator for a thriving, diverse community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.

My internet brings all the nerds to the yard, And there like, Its better than yours, Damn right its better than yours, I can share with you, But I have to charge!
    La la-la la la, I know Rok wants it! La la-la la la, and it's on Wifi! Imagine if I bothered to tether it! La la-la la la, nah nah nah nah nah! La la-la la la!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    It was also used to show disdain and created a niche group of members, cast form people with different opinions, etc.

That's why the vast majority of us are liberals. It culls dissension. It's not a good motivator for a thriving, diverse community.
    True, neg rep was used as a form of harrassment (note I've never neg repped) since rep is no longer anonymous the more spiteful members are not able to use it as a tool to harrass.

As far as a seperation of castes, newer members may now have a more difficult time in reaching senator or consul as the system has been removed in general chat, the titles in our banners are now permanent and this may discourage newer members from wanting to stay around.

True, neg rep was used as a form of harrassment (note I've never neg repped) since rep is no longer anonymous the more spiteful members are not able to use it as a tool to harrass.

As far as a seperation of castes, newer members may now have a more difficult time in reaching senator or consul as the system has been removed in general chat, the titles in our banners are now permanent and this may discourage newer members from wanting to stay around.
    The forums keep getting worse and worse. I really wonder if HQ is just playing around or the one making the decisions is incompetent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

Completely pointless.

The word moderator roughly translates to meaningless meddling.

I tried to make manual rep ping a thing, but you dirt bags were too lazy.
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

I gotta say, it was hilarious looking back and seeing who neg-repped me with what.
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

"Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

the expected changes to travian forums is unlikely to return.

Care 2 share?
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

What little we know was posted in the announcement area there will be new forum softwarw its just a question of when and what facilitys said software provides.

To those who whant rep back. It will only happen if the ability to neg rep is removed since thay was the part being used to harass and bully others. Neg rep os a usergroup permission so it will have to be removed for all areas

I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get much neg if it was being used like that.

Says you, you aren't a real member of the community here anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get much neg if it was being used like that.
    It wasnt, you know how TG is though, anything to make things worse.

If a system is being abused by a handful, but used to commend or educate others, it's a durn shame to turn it off. I have a ton of messages, positive and negative, that I will miss if or when it is removed.

I'm waiting for information on the changes to forum software from HQ. Looking at the potential ways the new software could be used as a more Facebook style post like system is most likely. This is already in use on crowfall where posts can be liked which leads to a community reputation score for each user.

I'm waiting for information on the changes to forum software from HQ. Looking at the potential ways the new software could be used as a more Facebook style post like system is most likely. This is already in use on crowfall where posts can be liked which leads to a community reputation score for each user.
    My only worry is losing the actual benefits of rank. For example: certain funny picture threads. My stored message capacity. Signature and image posting allowances.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

Until I know more about the new system I cant say what functions will or wont be kept for definite. but most likely reputation, messages and signatures will all change since the entire rank/permission structure will have to be different.

Once I know more I will be able to plan how we can replicate the current system as closely as possible to keep at least forum areas the same even if other things cant be replicated directly.

Well, if we aren't happy with the results, you guys won't be happy with the results.

Thanks for the answers and updates, mods. I appreciate hearing about the possible changes rather than 'surprise'!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Thanks for the answers and updates, mods. I appreciate hearing about the possible changes rather than 'surprise'!
    But it was a surprise. This thread was not planned by the mods.

Ooh, good job drawing this out in the open Cis

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    And they answered all of the questions as best they could. Do you not understand the word 'surprise'?

Community Moderator Mod Deadpool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Hi cofc.

It was mentioned in the New features thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Technically I have already overstepped the mark by discussing the suprises, I feel that the whole thing was badly planned by the powers that be. But 6 out of the 7 posts (go read really carefully ) were true.

Once they allow me to post more details I will. I know that most of the changes will not be popular and I will ensure your feedback is sent to HQ every week. Ultimately it will be me not the game center in the firing line when you dont like something and there is nothing i can do about that. Where i can soften the blow I will but often all i can do is post the updates HQ wants and nothing more.

I took a look at the Crowfall forums and it definitely would be a stark change from our current setup. Obviously it would be tailored for Travian in terms of graphics but it is still very different. But that is to be expected if they change from vBulletin. Of course they could also upgrade to vBulletin 5 which could offer changes while remaining more familiar.

Regardless of what powers the forum, my biggest concern with changes would be what happens to the contents of the existing forums? Would the old forums be maintained as an archive, lost to time or imported to the new forum? The answer would depend on the extent of the changes being pursued, any deviation from vBulletin would likely result in option 1 or 2. While an upgrade to vBulletin 5 should allow for the retention of existing posts.

I would hope this issue has been raised in the decision-making circles but it wouldn't hurt to have them reminded since the loss of this history would likely incite rebellion.

Another thought just occured to me. Should an entirely new forum be developed with a different framework than vBulletin it would be easier (I suspect) to link the game and forums i.e a single sign on feature akin to the lobby system in Kingdoms. The idea of SSO is something I support but again perserving the history of the forums is important.

Technically I have already overstepped the mark by discussing the suprises, I feel that the whole thing was badly planned by the powers that be. But 6 out of the 7 posts (go read really carefully ) were true.
    This is why we like you and at best are suspicious of HQ.
    Last edited by BlackBlade; 04-18-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added additional thought

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBlade View Post
    I took a look at the Crowfall forums and it definitely would be a stark change from our current setup. Obviously it would be tailored for Travian in terms of graphics but it is still very different. But that is to be expected if they change from vBulletin. Of course they could also upgrade to vBulletin 5 which could offer changes while remaining more familiar.

Regardless of what powers the forum, my biggest concern with changes would be what happens to the contents of the existing forums? Would the old forums be maintained as an archive, lost to time or imported to the new forum? The answer would depend on the extent of the changes being pursued, any deviation from vBulletin would likely result in option 1 or 2. While an upgrade to vBulletin 5 should allow for the retention of existing posts.

I would hope this issue has been raised in the decision-making circles but it wouldn't hurt to have them reminded since the loss of this history would likely incite rebellion.

Another thought just occured to me. Should an entirely new forum be developed with a different framework than vBulletin it would be easier (I suspect) to link the game and forums i.e a single sign on feature akin to the lobby system in Kingdoms. The idea of SSO is something I support but again perserving the history of the forums is important.

This is why we like you and at best are suspicious of HQ.
    Who the **** is this guy and how/why does he know so much? I will be in my bunker.

Regardless, I oppose all that ****.
    Last edited by Mod Deadpool; 04-21-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Merged Double Posts

What I'd love (and it would never happen) is a single sign on system where you could tip good posts with gold from your account. Sadly that would open up abuses for gold sellers/scammers so there is no way it could happen.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    What I'd love (and it would never happen) is a single sign on system where you could tip good posts with gold from your account. Sadly that would open up abuses for gold sellers/scammers so there is no way it could happen.
    No, turning this place into reddit is not a good idea.