Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: #AskTravian Get your chance to know about your favorite game!

  1. #1

    Default #AskTravian Get your chance to know about your favorite game!

    Welcome to the first iteration of #AskTravian. Do you have questions which you would like to ask directly to the Game Center? Then you came to the right place! Welcome to join direct dialogue between the Game Center and the community!


    How it works:
    From today till 14.04.2017 you can post one question in this thread. Travian Team will gather all the questions worldwide and check out the most asked and/or most interesting ones. We promise we will read all your questions but we can’t promise we’ll answer them all. After that our tireless and inquisitive caravan driver Mark Atilius will go into an adventure at Travian’s HQ, kidnap the Product Director, lock him in the Treasure Room and force him to answer! If everything goes well Mark Atilius should be back to you with a nice video proof or written text of his adventure in just about 1 month!


    Please, keep in mind, that you can ask questions about gameplay, art, game design, game history, tribes, new features – everything! However, we don’t have option to answer base knowledge questions (How I can train more troops?) or discuss bans/complaints about staff. For those questions please contact Customer Service.




    We are looking forward to your questions!
    Your Travian Legends team

  2. #2

    Default

    Are there plans to copy the single account lobby system from Kingdoms to Legends? If so when? I'd love to be able to earn some lasting achievements in Legends.

    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

  3. #3
    Villager BlackBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    Are there plans to copy the single account lobby system from Kingdoms to Legends? If so when? I'd love to be able to earn some lasting achievements in Legends.
    I second this, I was only in Kingdoms for 2 weeks but the concept of a SSO/Lobby System was a good one and something I've been considering bringing up in the Wishes etc. forum.

    Now for some context for my question:

    While I generally dislike Kingdoms I do like the fact that it appears to only have one "English Domain" the .COM servers. In contrast Legends has .COM, .US, .UK, .AU/NZ, .ZA and .IN that are all english langauge domains. From my attempts to reconstruct historical Travian player numbers from Internet Archives, I have determined that the highpoint of player numbers for these servers collectively was in 2009. In my selected test month of Febuary, 2009 had about 359,509 registered players. When I checked these numbers originally in December, about 35,116 players were regisered. While these are just estimates, which is all that I can do without access to intneral Travian numbers, it would appear these domains house only around 10% of the players they once did. .COM is the healthiest with 13% its highpoint and 71% of all current English domain players.

    Since this is the .US domain, I will give some figures for us. By my estimates we had 111,844 players in Febuary 2010 - our personal highpoint from the data set. In December I noted 3,385. This is a loss of 97% from our high point. In short our domain like the other English domains has suffered incredibly. The why is complex but there are steps that can be taken to mitigate it.

    My question:

    Will Travian HQ consider closing the .US, .UK, .AU/NZ, .ZA and .IN domains and merge them with .COM?

    .COM would need more servers to accomodate the inflow but on average it would be possible to have servers with more total and active players. US2 was at 476 earlier, which is more akin to what you might have seen in a single quad toward end-game and not mid-game circa 2009. (Maybe more my memory is a bit fuzzy) I haven't run the numbers yet but I could see .COM running 12 regular servers, on a roughly 1 new one per month schedule. Do 3/4 3x servers + 4 Birthday Specials. Also depending on if you count the birthday special as "beta" servers, if they aren't I think it would be wise to run a couple of these each year too.

    In general we need a real T5 successor to T4.6 for Legends but if we don't have enough players on the domains they will slowly die regardless of the changes. Something can be said for bringing in new/old players through a new version but it would be unwise to bank on that to increase the numbers acrosss all these domains enough for them to survive. It is like populations in real life, we need to meet the MVP (Minimum Viable Population). With these smaller servers they have become less competetive, which will eventually bore out even the most stalwart of players. Combining the domains would be a step to improve the overall health of Legends, though HQ should keep in mind this would only be a part of that. More steps are needed and I hope they are open to listening as recent accouncements suggest.
    Last edited by BlackBlade; 04-11-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical fixes

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBlade View Post
    US2 was at 476 earlier, which is more akin to what you might have seen in a single quad toward end-game and not mid-game circa 2009. (Maybe more my memory is a bit fuzzy)
    us6 Round 1 (my first server) ended in April 2009 with 5237 players. The winning meta was formed by the merger of 3 other metas in midgame (8 alliances) in addition, each of those alliances had 2-3 support alliances associated with them. The opposing meta was similarly sized. These days if you have a second wing people accuse you of huggling.

    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

  5. #5
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    These days if you have a second wing people accuse you of huggling.
    Pathetic isn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  6. #6
    Villager BlackBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    us6 Round 1 (my first server) ended in April 2009 with 5237 players. The winning meta was formed by the merger of 3 other metas in midgame (8 alliances) in addition, each of those alliances had 2-3 support alliances associated with them. The opposing meta was similarly sized. These days if you have a second wing people accuse you of huggling.
    Even more than my memory supposed. But it makes sense, I remember large metas of that size but didn't bother to do any math to translate them to player numbers. Thank you for the additional facts, just goes to show how much things have shrunk here.

  7. #7

    Default

    How does Travian intend to address current and former player concerns that Travian Legends is both a Pay-to-Win (PTW/P2W) game and a game that discourages new players by creating a Hobbesian environment for them? (i.e the rapid farming and catting that results in a short and brutal life on a server) This question is asked with one clear condition: Any changes must be made without adversely impacting the strategic/total war nature of the game that would turn Travian: Legends into a simulation game.

  8. #8

    Default

    Will Travian develop an app for iOS/Andriod that veteran players can reliably use and also attract new players?

  9. #9
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycanthus View Post
    Will Travian develop an app for iOS/Andriod that veteran players can reliably use and also attract new players?
    Travian has already developed an app but it is for Kingdoms only. And if they do create an app for Legends, it will be for everyone and not only for veterans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  10. #10
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuvvyKhedd View Post
    How does Travian intend to address current and former player concerns that Travian Legends is both a Pay-to-Win (PTW/P2W) game and a game that discourages new players by creating a Hobbesian environment for them? (i.e the rapid farming and catting that results in a short and brutal life on a server) This question is asked with one clear condition: Any changes must be made without adversely impacting the strategic/total war nature of the game that would turn Travian: Legends into a simulation game.
    Every game these days are almost like pay to win. But if you know you're game well, you can have a formidable account without using even a single bit of money.

    Discouraging new players happens on every game. If you're new to the game, of course you're going to be bashed by the more experienced ones. That is how you learn to play to survive. That's how I learnt and I'm sure most vets over here learned the same way too.
    You talk about idealism when realism already exists. That Hobbesian environment is what makes players to strive for more, to become better. A war game without the sense of competition is pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  11. #11
    Villager BlackBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Travian has already developed an app but it is for Kingdoms only. And if they do create an app for Legends, it will be for everyone and not only for veterans.
    I think the question was framed more along the lines of an app that veterans would find acceptable i.e something that works well and isn't just window dressing. And at the same time also be an app that was welcoming/accessible to newcomers that might come across the game in app form and not in a PC web browser. The question could have been worded better but I get the intended point. The game should be able to be played from both a traditional browser and an app, with the app being just as good as a browser.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Every game these days are almost like pay to win. But if you know you're game well, you can have a formidable account without using even a single bit of money.

    Discouraging new players happens on every game. If you're new to the game, of course you're going to be bashed by the more experienced ones. That is how you learn to play to survive. That's how I learnt and I'm sure most vets over here learned the same way too.
    You talk about idealism when realism already exists. That Hobbesian environment is what makes players to strive for more, to become better. A war game without the sense of competition is pointless.
    You don't need to buy gold but I bet the vast majority of top players do. Those who can afford it can spend small fortunes to gain advantages over other players. Only the very best can realisitcally play without any gold. Plus if players can find equal or better entertainment elsewhere for a fraction of the cost why wouldn't they choose that instead?

    There is a difference between being a war game that is enjoyable and a game being so harsh that fewer and fewer people play. Clearly something is wrong with the formula since player numbers have dropped significantly in the last few years. Unless you like playing on a 500 player server, though I don't know how many more years you will be able to do that. A loss of around 300,000 players on English langauge domains is huge. Sure some may have moved to the increasing number of new national/langauge domains but I'm pretty confident overall Travian Legends are down globally. Once I spend the time to look up archives of player numbers for other domains I could be more specific but I think the trend would hold. The .DE domain for instance dropped from a high around 166,000 players to around 8,000 when I checked in December.

    There is nothing wrong with a game that weeds out poor players but there needs to be so many players for a server to be interesting and competitive. Not to mention the business problem reduced numbers mean. 5,000 players on a sever are almost certain to buy more gold in total than a 500 player one. If this trend keeps up I can see Travian Legends being shutdown in the next 5 years like other games Travian has made and closed.

    A lot of factors go into player retention but a game that players can't find enjoybale for a myriad of reasons won't retain players. I've noticed since returning a lot of the faces I played with 6 years ago are gone. I don't know the why but I would guess it has something to do with the game not being fun anymore. Finding the right balance is imperative to the future of the game.

  12. #12
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    840

    Default

    The major reason why players have stopped playing is because/when Travian 4.0 was released. I know many friends of mine that have retired because they didn't like it. This is according to me anyway.

    And I do agree that Travian has fallen. When I used to play the 3.6 version, the population was just amazing. It's sad to see how Travian has destroyed themselves. If you can find all that info about travian, Im sure HQ has noticed it too. The sad part is that they did nothing to prevent it from happening, and even if they did, it just wasn't good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    The major reason why players have stopped playing is because/when Travian 4.0 was released. I know many friends of mine that have retired because they didn't like it. This is according to me anyway.

    And I do agree that Travian has fallen. When I used to play the 3.6 version, the population was just amazing. It's sad to see how Travian has destroyed themselves. If you can find all that info about travian, Im sure HQ has noticed it too. The sad part is that they did nothing to prevent it from happening, and even if they did, it just wasn't good enough.
    Numbers actually increased with 4.0. It was actually 3.6 that killed it. They added restrictions (later dropped) on how many troop movements you could send from a single village. The peak sever numbers were around that first year of 3.6. They dropped dramatically for the second year because many people decided they didn't want to play that way again. They recovered (slightly) with 4.0, but since then have slowly declined.
    They've certainly tried to keep the game fresh (all sorts of things tested between the annual special servers and the Kingdoms version), so I don't really blame them. The biggest issue is that there are so many copycat games these days between other web games and phone apps that Travian doesn't have a unique appeal anymore.

    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

  14. #14
    Villager BlackBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    The major reason why players have stopped playing is because/when Travian 4.0 was released. I know many friends of mine that have retired because they didn't like it. This is according to me anyway.

    And I do agree that Travian has fallen. When I used to play the 3.6 version, the population was just amazing. It's sad to see how Travian has destroyed themselves. If you can find all that info about travian, Im sure HQ has noticed it too. The sad part is that they did nothing to prevent it from happening, and even if they did, it just wasn't good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    Numbers actually increased with 4.0. It was actually 3.6 that killed it. They added restrictions (later dropped) on how many troop movements you could send from a single village. The peak sever numbers were around that first year of 3.6. They dropped dramatically for the second year because many people decided they didn't want to play that way again. They recovered (slightly) with 4.0, but since then have slowly declined.
    They've certainly tried to keep the game fresh (all sorts of things tested between the annual special servers and the Kingdoms version), so I don't really blame them. The biggest issue is that there are so many copycat games these days between other web games and phone apps that Travian doesn't have a unique appeal anymore.
    I don't remember those restrictions but considering they were dropped its possible I just never encountered a server with them. I think I also burned out around the release of 3.6 anyway which could also have something to do with it.

    I don't want to say Travian has done nothing, they have tried things. The tournaments have proven popular (from what I've heard, never actually participated/attempted to participate) and ROA/Scattered Empires have served as solid attempts at trying new things. Kingdoms clearly didn't reasonate with the vast majority of players but they built it. They did try new things which are important.

    Could they have done better? Perhaps. Tineren rightly notes the copycat style games, I think part of the problem is Travian missed the app train. If they had gotten in early they might have maintained much higher player numbers than they have. We can't be certain where this or any other points of failure are since we don't have all the facts. I just hope that some players can be more proactive and try and communicate to HQ what Travian needs and help them do better going forward.

    I don't have enough data points to fully address when players disappeared (currently I've got 1 date within the same month for each year currently) but I think Tineren's assessment is generally correct. And HQ probably knows numbers are down but I don't know how indepth they've looked at them. You'd be suprised the number of businesses that don't take a close look at their operations etc. and miss important insights. There is a reason consulting is almost a $500 billion a year industry.

    While Travian has grown it started out as a business between two brothers (if I recall correctly) and it wasn't intended as a business to start with. They've done some things great, Travian boasted hundreds of thousands of players alone at one point. They've also diversified their business, decreasing the risk of being reliant on a single game. But with every success is a mistake, even Apple is running into speed bumps as their offerings become stale.

    So if we can have constructive discussions among ourselves and those in power see what we discuss we can potentially help shape a better future for a game that we love/hate/are addicted to.

    Also I think it is important to say I do not have all the answers. I have ideas and a willingess to discuss them and that is really the best anyone can do. Unless someone has hundreds of millions of dollars and wants to take a majority ownership stake in Travian Games or Travian Legends itself. In which case please do - I know its on my lottery wishlist.
    Last edited by BlackBlade; 04-16-2017 at 11:18 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Your questions have been submitted to the Game Center to respond to. Please be aware that they will not be able to respond to every question so they will select the most popular questions from across all domains tow respond to

  16. #16
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    840

    Default

    I know that this idea has been proposed before but I'd like to put up a reminder.

    I think everyone would appreciate a server that is devoid of gold. It can be a birthday special. A server like that will give rise to many tactics and strategies that cannot be used in the current servers. Of course auctions and silver cannot exist then.

    Looking at this venture financially, it is a failure. But you will have won your players hearts.

    Trust me, you will find many people interested in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •