Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanctuary Zones

Default Sanctuary Zones

Basically on sanctuary cities, counties, ect.

Um.... this thread is lacking. Cities and states should follow the law. Being against something does not give anyone the right to break the law, and when they do they should be punished. This is the beginning of the breakdown of society, I think I should be allowed to murder pedophiles, should I start murdering anyone charged? The pedos want to touch children, they think it should be legal, you ok with your children being touched?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

What The Blazin1 said.

If you support sanctuary cities you have to support allowing cities to legalize gay discrimination in their cities.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

I thought it was just them not actively chasing or prosecuting? The same way they don't go into law offices and check for cocaine traces.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    I thought

it was just them not actively chasing or prosecuting?
    Found your problem.

It is active legislation. For instance, two illegals raped and assaulted a 14 year old girl in a Maryland school (you must be freaking out on who to support -- the beaten and raped female child, or the non-white rapists). The Maryland legislature then voted to make Maryland a sanctuary state 4 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Found your problem.

It is active legislation. For instance, two illegals raped and assaulted a 14 year old girl in a Maryland school (you must be freaking out on who to support -- the beaten and raped female child, or the non-white rapists). The Maryland legislature then voted to make Maryland a sanctuary state 4 days later.
    Why did I pick that rambling post to look at? What are you talking about? Are you saying that illegals have seperate laws to abide by? That don't include ****? What on earth does that have to do with them voting to be a sanctuary city? That's a bit like saying "someone committed tax fraud" so changing the tax laws 2 days later is directly linked. I think you are losing whatever plot you had.

I thought it was just them not actively chasing or prosecuting? The same way they don't go into law offices and check for cocaine traces.
    The title is applied to cities and states when their police forces don't comply with federal immigration agency (ICE) requests to do certain things, such as pick up someone for them, or hold someone for them. Most sanctuary cities (I'll use NYC for example) will use this policy to release illegal immigrants picked up for minor offenses, mostly traffic offenses. They absolutely do cooperate with ICE when the offense is more serious. The position of sanctuary cities or states is generally as follows:

1) fact: it is the responsibility of federal agents to enforce federal immigration law.
    2) fact: there is no legal requirement anywhere in federal law that says localities have to do immigration raids at the request of ICE, or to comply with ICE detainer requests (to hold someone so ICE can come pick them up.)
    3) fact: if it is widely known that local law enforcement will not be enforcing federal immigration law, immigrants are much more likely to cooperate with local law enforcement in their operations. It makes local law enforcement tougher if immigrants are afraid to report violations of the law, afraid to testify in court, etc.

So based on these facts, sanctuary cities or states generally refuse to honor detainer requests or run immigration raids, while following all applicable federal statutes. These cities usually decide to honor detainer requests when the immigrant in question is a violent criminal (ie. committed a violent or serious crime).

TL;DR, conservatives just want big government to make the lives of people miserable -- sanctuary cities are following entirely legal and quite rational policies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    sanctuary cities are following entirely legal and quite rational policies.
    Then so are locations that allow gay discrimination, according to you.

Are you saying that illegals have seperate laws to abide by?
    In sanctuary locations, yes. That is the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Um.... this thread is lacking. Cities and states should follow the law. Being against something does not give anyone the right to break the law, and when they do they should be punished. This is the beginning of the breakdown of society, I think I should be allowed to murder pedophiles, should I start murdering anyone charged? The pedos want to touch children, they think it should be legal, you ok with your children being touched?
    So Jacksonville actually gave what would be the best reason to be a sanctuary city, from the position of conservatism.

Basically they wouldn't detain illegals for ICE because they weren't getting paid to do it, which means they got stuck with a tab when they normally would have just released them. So they released them, because why should they hold someone when they won't be reimbursed for the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    So Jacksonville actually gave what would be the best reason to be a sanctuary city, from the position of conservatism.

Basically they wouldn't detain illegals for ICE because they weren't getting paid to do it, which means they got stuck with a tab when they normally would have just released them. So they released them, because why should they hold someone when they won't be reimbursed for the expense.
    They release criminals if they are illegals? That makes no sense at all.

What does this text wall have to do with my post? Can I murder toucan or not?
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Yes please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.

I don't know can you?

Can I murder toucan or not?
    But can he defend himself efficiently?
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

I'm still not sure why some conservatives hate it so much. If ice want to catch them, I'm assuming they aren't stopped at the border?

I'm still not sure why some conservatives hate it so much. If ice want to catch them, I'm assuming they aren't stopped at the border?
    All they need to do is release non-illegals for committing crimes and lock up all illegals. Reverse it so you can stop supporting it.

I don't know can you?
    Not legally, see my point? Of course you will say no.

Not legally, see my point? Of course you will say no.
    So you can't figure out how to do it legally? There are legal ways. Or Quasi legal ways.

Only if I was illegal to begin with.

So they released them, because why should they hold someone when they won't be reimbursed for the expense.
    Federal Law requires that they are contacted when an illegal is being held in custody. The law doesn't say that they must jail them.

I promise you that I'm the biggest civil libertarian you'll probably ever encounter, but to grant local or state governments the power to pick and choose which laws they will uphold is a can of worms that is best left closed.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAnse View Post
    Federal Law requires that they are contacted when an illegal is being held in custody. The law doesn't say that they must jail them.

I promise you that I'm the biggest civil libertarian you'll probably ever encounter, but to grant local or state governments the power to pick and choose which laws they will uphold is a can of worms that is best left closed.
    I am ready for a fetal-sanctuary cities. They simply do not follow federal abortion law in their locales.

Which State/Local government responsible for enforcing Federal immigration law are you referring to? Which things local police are legally required to do are they choosing not to do?

So, if they aren't in custody, what's the issue?

That they are here illegally?

Look, we have jurisdictional stuff that happens here all of the time between cities, counties, and states. If someone is driving on a suspended license from Ohio and is pulled over in another state like Indiana, a simple DL check will show that suspension and the officer will detain you and contact the other state in question and give them the opportunity to come and pick you up or cite you a new ticket with a court date. It happens every day. That's what extradition is. Should the Indiana cop just say "well, none of my business...let Ohio deal with it on their own dime" and let the person go?

The bottom line to me is that if we don't have borders, we don't have a nation...and without laws, there is no freedom. That's much more important to me than a political party just wanting to open the doors up just to help them win some elections.

Which State/Local government responsible for enforcing Federal immigration law are you referring to? Which things local police are legally required to do are they choosing not to do?
    All sanctuary locales.

Releasing rapists and murderers and terrorists and kidnappers and not notifying.

They release rapists and murderers because they are here illegally.

This distinction might be a little complicated for you two snowflakes, but I feel compelled to explain something to the both of you.

Unlawful entry into the US is a crime in and of itself.

Unlawful presence in the use is NOT a crime in and of itself, and there are no Federal laws requiring any State or City officials to turn people who are in the US unlawfully over to Federal officials.

For the side of the argument that claims to be about law enforcement, you seem to know remarkably little about what the laws actually say.

/argument.

Unlawful presence in the use is NOT a crime in and of itself, and there are no Federal laws requiring any State or City officials to turn people who are in the US unlawfully over to Federal officials.
    This is completely false.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...local-officers

Subsection 1324(c) of Title 8 specifically authorizes state and local officers "whose duty it is to enforce criminal laws" to make arrests for violations of 8 U.S.C. 1324. There is also a general federal statute which authorizes certain local officials to make arrests for violations of federal statutes, 18 U.S.C. 3041. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has held that 18 U.S.C. 3041 authorizes those local officials to issue process for the arrest, to be executed by law enforcement officers. See United States v. Bowdach, 561 F.2d 1160, 1168 (5th Cir. 1977).

Rule 4(a)(1) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure provides that an arrest warrant "shall be executed by a marshal or by some other officer authorized by law." The phrase, "some other officer," includes state and local officers. Bowdach, supra.

Unlawful entry into the US is a crime in and of itself.
    Rapists are not raping currently therefore there is no law regarding them being locked up?

Knowing little about your dumb laws, and just going on whats posted it looks to me like Local law office CAN arrest on federal warrants. But don't. So the FBI can ask the locals to bust a door down. But they can say nah, not today. It's not like being in the US illegally is a big crime even if it were technically illegal. And if the states think that ice is wasting taxpayer funds going after people who are just trying to get a better life, then, no, I don't think it's unreasonable to not waste their time on it. Like I say, do they go into law firms and test for cocaine? They'd get a bigger catch if they did.

do they go into law firms and test for cocaine?
    Can you correlate this nonsensical question to illegals that have committed additional crimes?

The problem with your premise, Rocchick, is that when you give permission to local/state governments to pick and choose which laws they want to waste their money/time enforcing, where do you draw the line, and who are the people drawing the lines?

Further, your argument is a strawman when you say that every person that comes across the border illegally is just looking for a better life. There are many that are just here to take advantage of handouts, deal drugs, and participate in gang activity.

Rokchick is correct -- laws authorizing a police body to perform a function are not the same as laws requiring them to do so. The attempt to suggest otherwise is laughable.

laws authorizing a police body to perform a function are not the same as laws requiring them to do so.
    Great. Fetal-sanctuary cities when?

The problem with your premise, Rocchick, is that when you give permission to local/state governments to pick and choose which laws they want to waste their money/time enforcing, where do you draw the line, and who are the people drawing the lines?

Further, your argument is a strawman when you say that every person that comes across the border illegally is just looking for a better life. There are many that are just here to take advantage of handouts, deal drugs, and participate in gang activity.
    And those doing the bad stuff do get picked up and held. I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.

And it doesn't seem to make those cities any less safe.

Rokchick is correct -- laws authorizing a police body to perform a function are not the same as laws requiring them to do so. The attempt to suggest otherwise is laughable.
    Still trying to pretend you know the law, eh?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324

(a) Criminal penalties
    (1)
    (A) Any person who—
    (i) knowing that a person is an alien, brings to or attempts to bring to the United States in any manner whatsoever such person at a place other than a designated port of entry or place other than as designated by the Commissioner, regardless of whether such alien has received prior official authorization to come to, enter, or reside in the United States and regardless of any future official action which may be taken with respect to such alien;
    (ii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law;
    (iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;
    (iv) encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law; or
    (v)
    (I) engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or
    (II) aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,
    shall be punished as provided in subparagraph (B).
    (B) A person who violates subparagraph (A) shall, for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs—
    (i) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i) or (v)(I) or in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), or (iv) in which the offense was done for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both;
    (ii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), (iv), or (v)(II), be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;
    (iii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) during and in relation to which the person causes serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of title 18) to, or places in jeopardy the life of, any person, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and
    (iv) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) resulting in the death of any person, be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined under title 18, or both.

And those doing the bad stuff do get picked up and held.
    False. Obama literally released tens of thousands of illegals that committed rapes, murders, kidnapping, etc.

It's not that Rok is giving the localities the ability to decide whether or not to do this, the Federal statutes are doing that. DA's argument is literally "the Federal law should be something other than it actually is and we should all pretend it says what I want it to say instead."

EDIT: note how none of that makes unlawful presence, specifically, illegal...... It's also Federal code which means state/local officials aren't necessarily required to enforce it.

Instead of mass quoting statute, point out the specific statute that requires local officials to detain and deport all unlawful residents. You're arguing that state and local officials are violating a specific statute, and you have yet to post that particular statute. (Hint: it doesn't exist.)
    Last edited by The Burninator; 03-31-2017 at 03:17 AM.

And those doing the bad stuff do get picked up and held. I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.

And it doesn't seem to make those cities any less safe.
    Those doing the bad stuff would include being here illegally. I don't care if they are otherwise model citizens. We have laws and legal ways to enter our country. Do it that way or pay the price.

It's not that Rok is giving the localities the ability to decide whether or not to do this, the Federal statutes are doing that. DA's argument is literally "the Federal law should be something other than it actually is and we should all pretend it says what I want it to say instead."
    No, my argument is what the laws actually say. Your argument is that they are whatever you think they should be.