Thread: GenChat's Favourite Superhero Films

Default GenChat's Favourite Superhero Films

Any superhero film, from any comics universe, or one original to film, can be nominated. There are some blurry spots around the edges of the genre, so I think I will try to define superhero as someone who has special powers, special training or special equipment that enable them to fight crime, aliens, supervillains or other nasty things, and who has a distinctive costume and/or superhero name.

Where there is any possibility of confusion between various films featuring the same character, please include the date if the film, the name if the star, or some other identifying characteristic.

I will be counting the mentions from the Horror Film Poll thread, but if they're among your favourites too, it's the number of mentions (from different posters) that determine what films go on the final poll, so don't let that stop you from naming any of them in your list.

Dan Chak: Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Kelsier: The Dark Night
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

oooo I got more. Will Smith's Hancock, The Dark Knight (love it, but Cap's Winter Soldier grabs me harder), Spider-man 2, Iron Man (the first one only; second was awful, third was confusing).
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Dark Knight.
    Nothing will surpass Heath's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Dark Knight.
    Nothing will surpass Heath's performance.
    Before seeing the movie, I had absolutely no faith that he would be good in the role whatsoever. Learnt that lesson good. He was fantastic, stole the movie from everyone.
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

The country with the world's longest official name

I nominate Doctor Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    I nominate Doctor Strange.
    Doctor Strange was very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Doctor Strange was very well done.
    I just watched Doctor Strange and it was ok. Not bashing, just was not really blown away. I love Bunderbus Kinderstuff though.

The Dark Knight.
    Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Does "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" count?

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Does "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" count?
    No, but Howard The Duck sure does.

Superhero movies I've ever seen:
    1) Mystery Men
    2) The Avengers.

I was more impressed with the former, tbh.

Yes, that was the comprehensive list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    No, but Howard The Duck sure does.
    I haven't seen Howard the Duck, I probably check it out sometime.

I think Dan has it right on this one.

I liked Doctor Strange because Benedict Cumberbatch. But i wouldn't call it great, or a particular favourite.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post

I liked Doctor Strange because Benedict Cumberbatch. But i wouldn't call it great, or a particular favourite.
    It was fun. Occasionally a super hero movie can be something great, but if it can at least be fun and entertaining, it's done it's job.

It was fun. Occasionally a super hero movie can be something great, but if it can at least be fun and entertaining, it's done it's job.
    Yep. Which is why this is 'favourite' film, not 'best' film. You can have a favourite that's critically acclaimed for its acting, direction, writing, whatever - and you can also have a favourite that's pure crap, but it means something to you.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

I'm not a fan of most super hero movies. It might be because they are all mostly men, and that doesn't gel with my experience. Most of the heroes I know, that get somewhere relatively great, in spite of adversity really are women.

SO I'll go for the local boy and say Dark Knight. Or Hellboy. I quite liked that.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    I'm not a fan of most super hero movies. It might be because they are all mostly men, and that doesn't gel with my experience. Most of the heroes I know, that get somewhere relatively great, in spite of adversity really are women.

SO I'll go for the local boy and say Dark Knight. Or Hellboy. I quite liked that.
    I do feel the dearth of superhero films that centre women. I have some hopes for the upcoming Wonder Woman film. I rather thought she stole the show from Superman and Batman every tine she was on screen with them in the recent Batman vs. Superman.

I do feel the dearth of superhero films that centre women.
    This. It's like they are afraid that if they make a great female superhero movie, no one would go see it. Last one I can recall was Electra, which diverted way too far from the character, the actress didn't have a Greek accent and it just sucked.
    Marvel is coming out with Captain Marvel, which had better freaking rock because I've been a fan of her's since the late 70s. Kind of funny that, with all the great success that Marvel has had with their movies, DC will have a female-led protagonist movie out way before they do.

This. It's like they are afraid that if they make a great female superhero movie, no one would go see it. Last one I can recall was Electra, which diverted way too far from the character, the actress didn't have a Greek accent and it just sucked.
    That's part of what hurts, that when they do make a superhero film based on a female character, they just don't seem to try as hard to make a good one. Electra, Catwoman... I can't really remember many others either. Helen Slater as Suoergirl. Kick-*** wasn't too bad, I guess - I should rewatch it, it's been ages since I've seen it.

The country with the world's longest official name

I thought the Cloak was the best character.

I do feel the dearth of superhero films that centre women.
    It's a vicious cycle of studios not really bothering with female-centred films, so they don't do well, so studios don't bother with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    I thought the Cloak was the best character.

It's a vicious cycle of studios not really bothering with female-centred films, so they don't do well, so studios don't bother with them.
    The Hunger Games saga were quite successful, but generally that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    The Hunger Games saga were quite successful, but generally that's true.
    Not a super hero movie!!!

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Not a super hero movie!!!
    No, but it did go to the female lead issue. Which has also been an issue with action movies too. I didn't find that quite as galling, because our society did/does mostly have men being the gun-totin', punching types in real life. But a fantasy movie? Why on earth could they not have at least as many women in the roles? It's true for many of them that they are based on comics that were written primarily for boys (although why, I don't know, I loved comics). But they are not supposed to be real life. And just because the comics were produced for a patriarchal system that is being dismantled, why would the movie versions follow the lack of females? Almost all the leads could have been turned to women, and only the snowflakes who feel their own masculinity being threatened (in a movie!) would care.

OOPS sorry mehr, politicizing your thread...
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

I'm not really into superhero films, but in my lifetime I've seen my fair share. Hands down, my favorite is Deadpool.

Guardians of the Galaxy.

I enjoyed the first Iron Man, Batman Begins (I thought the Dark Knight was over hyped really), Spider-man (2002), The Incredibles, and The Matrix. However my favorite super hero film is Unbreakable.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    No, but it did go to the female lead issue. Which has also been an issue with action movies too. I didn't find that quite as galling, because our society did/does mostly have men being the gun-totin', punching types in real life. But a fantasy movie? Why on earth could they not have at least as many women in the roles? It's true for many of them that they are based on comics that were written primarily for boys (although why, I don't know, I loved comics). But they are not supposed to be real life. And just because the comics were produced for a patriarchal system that is being dismantled, why would the movie versions follow the lack of females? Almost all the leads could have been turned to women, and only the snowflakes who feel their own masculinity being threatened (in a movie!) would care.

OOPS sorry mehr, politicizing your thread...
    Don't worry, I think the issue of why there are so few superhero movies with women as the lead - and why they tend to be less well done than those made about male superheroes - is quite on topic. It speaks to why, for example, I'm having some trouble identifying 'favourite' superhero movies as opposed to 'that was a fun superhero movie' or 'that was a really well done superhero movie.'

I don't consider batman a real superhero neither I consider Dark Night a good batman movie, it was a wonderful joker movie. they should have called it The Joker, or something.

I think I saw in on airplane though, not in the theater!
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I'm not really into superhero films, but in my lifetime I've seen my fair share. Hands down, my favorite is Deadpool.
    Well, Now I need to update my list because I can NOT believe I forgot Deadpool.

So it goes...

The Dark Knight
    Deadpool
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ok, Now I feel better.

Some context for each. The Dark Knight - Been a fan of Christian Bale before he landed the Batman movies and Heaths performance, cmon. Deadpool - fan of Ryan Reynolds since Van Wilder and it is just my kind of movie, loved everything about it. Guardians of the Galaxy - Loved the mix of comedy and super hero-ness, very funny movie. Avengers: Age of Ultron - James Spader, even just his voice, is amazing. The action was good and I like Scarlet Witch, who was portrayed decently.

On the topic of women super heroes, I have big hopes for Wonder Woman as Gal did steal the movie when she was on screen. Not like there was a good movie other than her to steal, but I digress. (MARTHA! Derp.) Captain Marvel will be good because at this point I am almost to the point of saying "The MCU can do no wrong".

So... My favourite superhero movies...

The Dark Knight - definitive performances from Bale and Legder, dark and gritty, what can I say?

Batman (1989) - jack Nicholson's Joker was a defining performance, as much as Heath Ledger's would be a generation later. And who would have believed that Michael Keaton could act beside Nicholson in full mad genius and not get blown off the screen? Before this film opened, no one. And yet he did, a cooly determined centre to Nicholson's manic bravura.

The Mask of Zorro - yes, by my definition, this is a superhero film. And a great romp. Hopkins, Banderas and Zeta-Jobes have lots of fun with this and it's just so much fun to watch.

Captain America: Winter Soldier - of all the Marvel superheroes who have had films made about them so far, Cap is my favourite, despite his intense americanness. Maybe it's because he's the personification of what the US used to at least want to be, honest, open, honourable, humble and truly concerned about doing good for all. Anyway, the movie is well written, well acted, and powerful.

The Phantom - this is one of those films people seem to either love or loathe. I loved it, thought it was a great period piece.

I totally agree about Batman (1989).

I would like to add The Incredibles to Deadpool for my list. I forgot about the movie until I saw it on a list here. I just wasn't thinking about animated movies, but The Incredibles was a good superhero movie.

Anyone else have any nominations for their favourite superhero film? I'll be tabulation mentions and doing a poll in a day or so, so if yiu have any last thoughts, please make your preferences known.

James Spade actually was on set with special suit giving his performance as Ultron. It was said that his performances were so enthralling the actors he was working with had to struggle to focus above his head (Ultron was far taller than Spader). Best casting choice yet for a Marvel film.

James Spade actually was on set with special suit giving his performance as Ultron. It was said that his performances were so enthralling the actors he was working with had to struggle to focus above his head (Ultron was far taller than Spader). Best casting choice yet for a Marvel film.
    Yeah, I enjoy the special features of movies and have watched them if available on the blurays. The apparatus they had for the "eye level" of Ultron was like 3 feet taller than he was.

Batman is not a superhero.