Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, in the US

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Default Meanwhile, in the US

Since this isn't actually funny (just sad) ima post it outside the funnies. Encapsulates a lot.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

None of those reference the United States.

It used to be funny, but then they somehow won the presidency (without winning the vote)!
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    It used to be funny, but then they somehow won the presidency (without winning the vote)!
    Well it was looking like Trump would win no matter how I looked at it, the liberal media was, Trump will drop, he will not win the primarily, he sure will lose the election. while Obama was asking everyone to go to vote, but ...

Well, you have to change the electoral college if you want winning the vote, since nobody was competing at it from the founding fathers!

Some of the stuff in the picture is just no good! when you want to solve a problem you solve it from the reason why it happens, not add a new temporary solution that in the future would be a problem! probably education and awareness campaigns would solve many problems of society, but some people try harder stuff and political lobbying instead of doing the easier obvious solutions!
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

He did win the vote as per our laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

He was going to win the second the dems put Hillary up against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    Or Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    He won the election as per our laws. The vote is decided by counting, which happens irrespective of laws. He lost the vote, but won the election. Lame.
    Eh, maybe Bernie would have won, but that's still gonna be tough to prove. In any case, capitalism is the problem, and the Dems aren't offering any solutions, so not sure it matters all that much.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

The country with the world's longest official name

As per a flawed electoral system.

It was close enough that she won the popular vote - hardly an inevitable loss.

The electoral system worked just like it was supposed to. 2 states should not, and do not, dictate law for the entire country.
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

And a few million people should not dictate law for a country of a few hundred million.

Only a few million?

Only a few million?
    Small states have far more electoral college votes per person.

In all, there are 538 electoral votes and the number given to each state reflects the sum of the representatives and senators it sends to Congress.
    Something about how I am

Quote Originally Posted by RycorAbsinthe View Post
    In all, there are 538 electoral votes and the number given to each state reflects the sum of the representatives and senators it sends to Congress.
    I know. What's your point?

Eh, maybe Bernie would have won, but that's still gonna be tough to prove. In any case, capitalism is the problem, and the Dems aren't offering any solutions, so not sure it matters all that much.
    I'd say it is impossible to prove since we will never be able to run that experiment. I also wouldn't blame this specifically on capitalism, though I would blame it on the dems. When the rallying cry is 'vote for us because we're not the GOP', that doesn't really inspire people to vote for you. Also, what have they done other than be incompetent. They could have dumped the procedural filibuster in 2008, they could have actually tried to win in 2010 (which gave us a census and heavily gerrymandered districts), they could have actually pushed new blood instead of the spate of 60-70 year olds currently running the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    It was close enough that she won the popular vote - hardly an inevitable loss.
    I disagree. Clinton is special, the GOP has spent the last 20 years bashing the Clinton's for anything and everything they could think of, non-stop. That much negative volume leaves a mark. That and she says really stupid ****, we're going to put the coal workers out of business? Seriously? Was there other stuff attached, of course, does it make it into the soundbite, hell no. The election was about standards of living and jobs, that's why the wall is so popular among repubs (they took r jobs), that's why blue collar America voted for Trump. Oh, he says he's going to end outsourcing and bring manufacturing back... yes please. What does Clinton says, stuff about global warming (which nobody cares about when they're worried about work), identity politics (which we need to stop playing), and how she would be the first woman President. That and she had to be forced to the table by Bernie Sanders to oppose TPP, I sure as hell didn't trust her to honor that promise.

I know. What's your point?
    the vote for president would be done by the electoral college to chose the president.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electo...United_States)

I think this number can be changed as it already done throughout the history of the US.

teacher?

I also wouldn't blame this specifically on capitalism, though I would blame it on the dems. When the rallying cry is 'vote for us because we're not the GOP', that doesn't really inspire people to vote for you. Also, what have they done other than be incompetent. They could have dumped the procedural filibuster in 2008, they could have actually tried to win in 2010 (which gave us a census and heavily gerrymandered districts), they could have actually pushed new blood instead of the spate of 60-70 year olds currently running the party.
    "We're not the GOP" was a strong argument last election cycle. I mean, did you see its candidate???

I don't disagree with you about the Democratic Party seeming to have a death wish, I just think that you're faulting the Dems for not being boldly correct enough, while ignoring the fact that the GOP has been boldly peddling conspiracy theories and racism. This seems like a problem with living in a capitalist liberal democracy at this point. (If the election of a Cheeto as president didn't convince you that there is something more fundamentally wrong with the liberal democratic capitalist system, then one wonders what event could convince you of this.)

the gop has been boldly peddling conspiracy theories and racism
    Like how Trump works for Russia and that blacks and women need special state protections because they are so weak and dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    weak and dumb?
    So weak and dumb people shall be ignored and die from poor health and hunger. Survival of the fittest, the rule for the animals, the rule of the jungle.

well done, "civilized" man!

teacher?

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    So weak and dumb people shall be ignored and die from poor health and hunger. Survival of the fittest, the rule for the animals, the rule of the jungle.

That would be a first. Cofc being called civilised. Even sarcastically it will probably thrill him.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    That would be a first. Cofc being called civilised. Even sarcastically it will probably thrill him.
    "civilized" is different than civilized, I was referring to his own definition of the word civilized, thus the quotation marks.

teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post

Oh reading comprehension, where are you when people need you?

Oh reading comprehension, where are you when people need you?
    Certainly not anywhere near you.

Please, reading comprehension is easy. If you don't see the original post Hunter was replying to and see the problem, you have comprehension problems as well. Honestly.

"We're not the GOP" was a strong argument last election cycle. I mean, did you see its candidate???

I don't disagree with you about the Democratic Party seeming to have a death wish, I just think that you're faulting the Dems for not being boldly correct enough, while ignoring the fact that the GOP has been boldly peddling conspiracy theories and racism. This seems like a problem with living in a capitalist liberal democracy at this point. (If the election of a Cheeto as president didn't convince you that there is something more fundamentally wrong with the liberal democratic capitalist system, then one wonders what event could convince you of this.)
    That assumes we are a liberal capitalist democracy. We're obviously an oligarchy, the people who own everything dumb down the populace and then feed them propaganda, then we get two choices and are told which one is the 'correct' choice.

This is why I voted for Trump, he's the best chance to actually totally destroy everything. It will suck, but the alternative to a somewhat speedy implosion is a slow descent into slavery and bondage. Pick your poison, I am much more likely to recover from the implosion, and if I don't I'll probably be dead and thus won't care.

As for blaming the dems over the repubs, I don't tend to expect much from the mentally ill, hence why I placed the burden where I placed it.

I voted for Trump

That assumes we are a liberal capitalist democracy. We're obviously an oligarchy, the people who own everything dumb down the populace and then feed them propaganda, then we get two choices and are told which one is the 'correct' choice.
    I feel like you just disagreed with me that we are a liberal capitalist democracy, then wrote a definition of "liberal capitalist democracy" but labeled it differently.
    This is why I voted for Trump, he's the best chance to actually totally destroy everything. It will suck, but the alternative to a somewhat speedy implosion is a slow descent into slavery and bondage. Pick your poison, I am much more likely to recover from the implosion, and if I don't I'll probably be dead and thus won't care.
    This is pretty dangerous IMO. As in, as a plan, I rate it at 3/10, at best . I will take comfort in knowing that your vote for insanity occurred in a state where it was a waste!
    As for blaming the dems over the repubs, I don't tend to expect much from the mentally ill, hence why I placed the burden where I placed it.
    You'd be surprised by the intelligence of the mentally ill, I suspect. There's a popular NOfX line that's something like "democracy don't work in mental institutions," but while that sounds good, I don't agree at all. I've had some experience dealing with mentally disabled people, and am often impressed by their abstract decision making.

But anyway, people are allowed to define their own self interest, and the fact that they chose a Cheeto to define this does show that the system is rotten to the core, but I don't buy the accelerationist credo that if things are bad enough, people will suddenly wake up and choose rightly. I suspect that the result of ceding power to white supremacy will result in more white supremacy, not less. I suspect that voting for fascists will result in more fascism, not less.

I feel like you just disagreed with me that we are a liberal capitalist democracy, then wrote a definition of "liberal capitalist democracy" but labeled it differently.
    Welcome to every discussion with a communist/fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Welcome to every discussion with a communist/fascist.
    lumb them all with the other materialist philosophies, which are not working, inducing the capitalism -which you worship- that is sucking life from humans, and turn them into machines.

teacher?

Sounds like a difference of definition then, that's fine, I consider the US to be a libertarian oligarchy.

This is pretty dangerous IMO. As in, as a plan, I rate it at 3/10, at best . I will take comfort in knowing that your vote for insanity occurred in a state where it was a waste!
    I will be honest and say that being in CA is one of the things that helped me fill in his bubble, and I still felt dirty about it all day long. As far as the plan rating, if the choice is between a 3/10 and a 1/10 the choice is obvious. With Clinton we get an aloof distanced outsourcing war hawk that will continue the slow decline so that people don't get upset as they are systemically destroyed. With the fast decline people actually notice.

You'd be surprised by the intelligence of the mentally ill, I suspect. There's a popular NOfX line that's something like "democracy don't work in mental institutions," but while that sounds good, I don't agree at all. I've had some experience dealing with mentally disabled people, and am often impressed by their abstract decision making.
    As someone with diagnosed depression issues, my point wasn't to say that the mentally ill are stupid, it was more to say that it's simply too difficult to reason with them. Because they have chosen to exist in an alternate reality, none of their solutions make any sense, further they stubbornly entrench themselves into their position. This is what makes it pointless to blame them, they can't do anything different. It's like blaming a turtle for moving slowly.

But anyway, people are allowed to define their own self interest, and the fact that they chose a Cheeto to define this does show that the system is rotten to the core, but I don't buy the accelerationist credo that if things are bad enough, people will suddenly wake up and choose rightly. I suspect that the result of ceding power to white supremacy will result in more white supremacy, not less. I suspect that voting for fascists will result in more fascism, not less.
    I am coming at this from the frog in the pot metaphor. People notice things that happen quickly, hence speeding these things up is the correct choice. But you dislike that premise. However what if the end point is the same for both routes. We're going to get fascism and white supremacy from both candidates, it's just that one will make the trip more slowly than the other. At least with speed people will have a better chance to wake up. Also facism doesn't tend to work for very long, and collapses quite quickly, so if the desire is a hard restart, Trump is the way to go.

Not my fault. I voted for Bernie.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Not my fault. I voted for Bernie.
    So you voted for Trump.

Also facism doesn't tend to work for very long, and collapses quite quickly, so if the desire is a hard restart, Trump is the way to go.
    Syrians tried a hard reset. Look how that went.

So you voted for Trump.
    Really he just failed to vote against Trump.

The sheer ignorance of the statement "If you voted for C, you really voted for B" is overwhelming and used entirely too much. It shows a lack of comprehension on multiple levels.
    I'm not responsible for Hillary running for the Democrats nor Trump for the Republicans. I'm not responsible for the Democrats losing all 3 houses, or the Republican's embarrassment of Trump's idiocy.

I voted for Bernie over Hilary and Green Party over Democrat and Republican.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Sirveri -- this is what I think is the better path. Voting better, not intentionally worse.

But I'll also comment on a few things:
    I will be honest and say that being in CA is one of the things that helped me fill in his bubble, and I still felt dirty about it all day long. As far as the plan rating, if the choice is between a 3/10 and a 1/10 the choice is obvious. With Clinton we get an aloof distanced outsourcing war hawk that will continue the slow decline so that people don't get upset as they are systemically destroyed. With the fast decline people actually notice.
    OK but there would be tangible differences. For example, my boyfriend wouldn't be in danger of deportation under Clinton. The drone program wouldn't be, amazingly, causing more significant casualties than it was under Obama. (Absurd since the drone program under Obama made the man one of the worst serial killers in modern history).

It's easy to be an accelerationist if you're a member of a fairly protected class in CA. Harder for many of the rest of us. That's one thing to keep in mind. The other is below.
    As someone with diagnosed depression issues, my point wasn't to say that the mentally ill are stupid, it was more to say that it's simply too difficult to reason with them. Because they have chosen to exist in an alternate reality, none of their solutions make any sense, further they stubbornly entrench themselves into their position. This is what makes it pointless to blame them, they can't do anything different. It's like blaming a turtle for moving slowly.

I am coming at this from the frog in the pot metaphor. People notice things that happen quickly, hence speeding these things up is the correct choice. But you dislike that premise. However what if the end point is the same for both routes. We're going to get fascism and white supremacy from both candidates, it's just that one will make the trip more slowly than the other. At least with speed people will have a better chance to wake up. Also facism doesn't tend to work for very long, and collapses quite quickly, so if the desire is a hard restart, Trump is the way to go.
    I strongly disagree with the suggestion that dialogue is categorically ineffective. In fact, you'd better pray dialogue is going to be effective, since the people who own all the guns in this country (or the weighty majority of them) are on team "don't tread on me," not on team "seriously guys, pluralism is good and racism is bad."

In other words, be careful what you wish for.
    Last edited by The Burninator; 03-21-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Syrians tried a hard reset. Look how that went.

Really he just failed to vote against Trump.
    To be fair, Dan is in New York which overwhelming went for Clinton. In populous states like New York and California the outcome is very predictable.

There is a logic behind voting Green in non-swing states such as New York and California in presidential elections and that is to show that environmentalist causes are taken seriously. That said, in my congressional district where the race is a little closer, I voted for the Democrat candidate as a Green vote would have helped the Republican candidate.

The sheer ignorance of the statement "If you voted for C, you really voted for B" is overwhelming and used entirely too much. It shows a lack of comprehension on multiple levels.
    I'm not responsible for Hillary running for the Democrats nor Trump for the Republicans. I'm not responsible for the Democrats losing all 3 houses, or the Republican's embarrassment of Trump's idiocy.

You mean like calling people facist, racists, ect..

The sheer ignorance of the statement "If you voted for C, you really voted for B" is overwhelming and used entirely too much

You mean like banning travellers from arbitrary countries, double posting etc.