Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meanwhile, in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    I thought the racist southerners lost?
    Those would probably have been the less racist southerners.
    So let me get this straight. You're calling ALL Southerns rasist, just at different levels?
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

Quote Originally Posted by Cisalpine View Post
    So let me get this straight. You're calling ALL Southerns rasist, just at different levels?
    He's British, so yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

That would be the pot calling the kettle black in my opinion.

That would be the pot calling the kettle black in my opinion.
    What part of Florida do you live in?
    I'm not very bright.

Then why aren't confederate flags allowed to fly over state grounds if everyone won? Is this an attempt to get a participation award for the south?
    No. Everyone one. The South wanted to maintain the institution of slavery, the North wanted to maintain the union. The North got what it wanted, and the South got what it wanted in everything but name. Then they realized that wage slavery was even better than actual slavery.

Can't fly the flag because it is a flag of rebellion against the federal government, those state are not in rebellion, thus it is inappropriate to fly that flag. Flag etiquette is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

The country with the world's longest official name

In the 1860's. Even Lincoln said some very racist things.

While I was at the hotel to-day, an elderly gentleman called upon me to know whether I was really in favor of producing perfect equality between the negroes and white people. While I had not proposed to myself on this occasion to say much on that subject, yet as the question was asked me, I thought I would occupy perhaps five minutes in saying something in regard to it. I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied every thing. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone. I am now in my fiftieth year, and I certainly never had a black woman for either a slave or a wife. So it seems to me quite possible for us to get along without making either slaves or wives of negroes. I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men... I have never had the least apprehension that I or my friends would marry negroes if there was no law to keep them from it, but as Judge Douglas and his friends seem to be in great apprehension that they might, if there were no law to keep them from it, I give him the most solemn pledge that I will to the very last stand by the law of this State, which forbids the marrying of white people with negroes.
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln

So you're comparing 1860s to 2017?

It seems in the 1860s, Englishman were just as prejudiced.

http://www.earlymodernengland.com/20...gro-1850-1870/
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    So you're comparing 1860s to 2017?
    When did I do that?

It seems in the 1860s, Englishman were just as prejudiced.

http://www.earlymodernengland.com/20...gro-1850-1870/
    I'm not disputing that.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Really? Trump is destroying the nation? You probably think we flourished under the Obama administration. Health care is now unaffordable, race relations at an all time low, and we have US servicemen all over the place putting their life on the line, and we have never before seen strains with our allies across the world. All Trump's fault right?
    There's so much.. let's just go with strains with allies shall we? Who do you think are your top allies? NATO? Who else? Since he has personally insulted the Mexican president, the prime minister of Japan and Australia and the chancellor of Germany, who else should he aim for? He's done NATO.

Just so you know, your state department has been running around the world saying "please don't believe anything our current president says". Now they have added "he is just a figurehead, and not involved in real diplomacy". So there's that I guess. He might have so little power on the world stage that he can do no more harm.

It will be interesting to see what happens if NK (bad, bad people) does something that the actual state department thinks is bad enough to respond to. I am firmly convinced your response forces have been given new instructions about who to take launch orders from. And I really hope so. Imagine the 2 spoiled tantrum brats in a duke out.

As for healthcare, I'll leave that to the locals.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

What part of Florida do you live in?
    Tampa Bay area

Nice try to cover up your racism of all Southerners.

We live in a society that is built around many assumptions about different kinds of people, and some of those are racist. Because we grew up in that society, most of us are, consciously or not, influenced by the cultural assumptions about race - and gender, and class, and religion, and other things we mark as important differences.

Has anyone tried the Implicit Association Tests? They measure assumptions we hold at a level that is essentially automatic, and the results can be vey eye-opening.

People don’t always say what’s on their minds. One reason is that they are unwilling. For example, someone might report smoking a pack of cigarettes per day because they are embarrassed to admit that they smoke two. Another reason is that they are unable. A smoker might truly believe that she smokes a pack a day, or might not keep track at all. The difference between being unwilling and unable is the difference between purposely hiding something from someone and unknowingly hiding something from yourself.

The Implicit Association Test (IAT) measures attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report. The IAT may be especially interesting if it shows that you have an implicit attitude that you did not know about. For example, you may believe that women and men should be equally associated with science, but your automatic associations could show that you (like many others) associate men with science more than you associate women with science.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
    Disclainer: an old friend was one of the people who did some of the early research on these.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

To be fair, you have called me racist yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Everybody that posts in this forum is racist. The leftists are just more racist.

Tampa Bay area

Nice try to cover up your racism of all Southerners.
    Oh, I was gonna say if it's the pan handle, you could be lumped in with the racists.
    I'm not very bright.

And? It's almost the same thing. Mocking people for the place of their birth. With one, you make fun of their "native dress" if you will. He's just claiming everyone that is born or lives in the South is racist. I've met more Yankee racists than I have Southern ones. But then I grew up in politics. I'm watered down German and Seminole Indian. So half my ancestors killed and the other half were killed. None owned slaves. And...OMG...I'm a Southerner!!!!

He's just claiming everyone that is born or lives in the South is racist.
    No, I didn't. I said that racist southerners (i.e. southerners who were racist, as opposed to southerners who were not racist) lost the war. The slaves were southerners, they probably weren't racist against black people, and they didn't lose the war (although, as Sirveri says, they may not have actually won that much).

Plenty of Northerners lost, too. Some paid in cash, some in health, some in limbs, and some in lives.

Seldom do the poor and beaten down win anything in wars, and the privileged classes give up nothing that they can hang on to.