Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, in the US

If those countries are such great places consider moving there, maybe a vacation or two?
    Something about how I am

Quote Originally Posted by RycorAbsinthe View Post
    If those countries are such great places consider moving there, maybe a vacation or two?
    That's why we should welcome more.

The country with the world's longest official name

Not assuming everyone from a country is a terrorist =/> the country is a good place to live

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    You mean like banning travellers from arbitrary countries, double posting etc.
    Trump isn't the first President to do so, just the first one half the country got mad at for doing so. Well within his power to do so I might add. I will give you credit for not calling it a ban on Muslims though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Not assuming everyone from a country is a terrorist =/> the country is a good place to live
    Also, there is something to be said for sticking with one's own country and working to make it a better place to live for all of it's citizens - unless one is fleeing war or devastating natural disaster.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

You mean great again?
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    You mean like calling people facist, racists, ect..
    Maybe voting for Trump doesn't make people nasty, misogynistic, homophobic racists. But it sure means they were prepared to vote for one.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Syrians tried a hard reset. Look how that went.
    I wouldn't call what happened in Syria a hard reset. Libya however might qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Sirveri -- this is what I think is the better path. Voting better, not intentionally worse.
    I would agree with you, however in this case there really wasn't a better choice.

OK but there would be tangible differences. For example, my boyfriend wouldn't be in danger of deportation under Clinton. The drone program wouldn't be, amazingly, causing more significant casualties than it was under Obama. (Absurd since the drone program under Obama made the man one of the worst serial killers in modern history).
    So because it is somehow going to personally affect you that is now a tangible difference that should impact random strangers you don't know? I get that it pisses you off what he is doing, but with the election of either candidate people will be harmed, the question is net harm, which will be different depending on individual situation. As for drone program expansion, there is no reason to assume that Hillary would not also have further expanded the drone program, except it would arguably be worse because she is actually competent at administration.

It's easy to be an accelerationist if you're a member of a fairly protected class in CA. Harder for many of the rest of us. That's one thing to keep in mind. The other is below.
    If you think civil war would be easy for me, you're wrong. Though I will admit I have significant benefits in my current situation, then again I'm also older now.

I strongly disagree with the suggestion that dialogue is categorically ineffective. In fact, you'd better pray dialogue is going to be effective, since the people who own all the guns in this country (or the weighty majority of them) are on team "don't tread on me," not on team "seriously guys, pluralism is good and racism is bad."

In other words, be careful what you wish for.
    Have you tried talking to rabid right wingers? I have. Having a discussion with individuals when you can't both agree on which way is up makes things nearly impossible. You do not get anywhere productive, your time would actually be better spent doing literally almost anything else.

As for gun owners, I own two, why don't you? Furthermore look at what Malcolm X said, it's pertinent. There are a hell of a lot more armed liberals than people think, probably because the right wingers are so damned loud all the time.

At some point people are going to need to put their *** on the line and fight, if you aren't willing to do that you should leave sooner rather than later. I am a fighter, always have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    I wouldn't call what happened in Syria a hard reset. Libya however might qualify.
    "We could make the country end up like Libya."

Great plan there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    At some point people are going to need to put their *** on the line and fight, if you aren't willing to do that you should leave sooner rather than later. I am a fighter, always have been.
    Last edited by Mouse-Keyboard; 03-21-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Sirv, be careful what you wish for, we already won the civil war once.

I thought the racist southerners lost?

You liked the racist north?

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    You liked the racist north?
    False, he likes east states, as part of the British empire, who taught how to speak english!
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    east states
    Is that some new term for the Thirteen Colonies?

Is that some new term for the Thirteen Colonies?
    Didn't know there names just looked at the map and they were at the east!

teacher?

I'm a racist southerner? You realize that not everyone in the south fought for the south right? Southern families actually fought against their flesh and blood. Maybe your history books were different than mine.

I'm a racist southerner? You realize that not everyone in the south fought for the south right? Southern families actually fought against their flesh and blood. Maybe your history books were different than mine.
    Those would probably have been the less racist southerners.

Less racist.. it's that kind of narrow minded thinking that put us where we are as a country today. Good job.

Those would probably have been the less racist southerners.
    The republicans?

"We could make the country end up like Libya."

Great plan there.

Oh I'm not a bad *** in the slightest, I'd probably get really screwed up.

Everyone won the civil war, so your statement is a non-sequitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Then why aren't confederate flags allowed to fly over state grounds if everyone won? Is this an attempt to get a participation award for the south?

Too many posts happened in between Sirv. Can't make quoting work out right

Anyway, I'm not saying that what you're suggesting is never warranted, I'm just saying I don't think we're as far gone as you say we are. Sure, there are some people who are utterly a waste of time to talk to, but there are plenty of people who have yet to really choose a side. When it comes to the moment of decision, Sirv, the critical moment when people really need to choose, I'd rather that we're in a position where as many as possible will choose the right side.

Maybe I'm wrong -- I could be like Cicero, looking at the the inevitable collapse of the Republic, by the name of Caesar, right in the eye, and still not seeing that the Republic was rotten to the core, and beyond any hope of salvation, unable to comprehend that the only options are anarchy or dictatorship.

EDIT:
    Speaking personally, I used to be an AnCap. If the moment of decision had come 4 years ago, I'd have backed the wrong horse. This, in all likelihood, is why I think that not all the souls on the other side of the aisle are truly lost.
    Last edited by The Burninator; 03-22-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

I'm not sure whatyou said TB, but I'm sure you were deflecting.

I'm saying that Sirv wants the revolution to come tomorrow. I'm saying I want the revolution to come once we've convinced enough people to join it. Social progress must precede political. I reject Sirv's notion that the only way to change some people is to force them to change. I still think there's hope for honest, genuine dialogue.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

I'm saying that Sirv wants the revolution to come tomorrow. I'm saying I want the revolution to come once we've convinced enough people to join it. Social progress must precede political. I reject Sirv's notion that the only way to change some people is to force them to change. I still think there's hope for honest, genuine dialogue.
    There will be no revolution. If you wish to change something. work to change it.

You and your ilk keep messing with me Summer and revolution might be closer then you think.

It is called civil war!

teacher?

You and your ilk keep messing with me Summer and revolution might be closer then you think.
    "Messing with you"? What, saying things you disagree with? Or supporting real healthcare? Which one is worth a bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Which one is worth a bullet?
    Any initial act of aggression. Theft of labor is an initial act of aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    "Messing with you"? What, saying things you disagree with? Or supporting real healthcare? Which one is worth a bullet?
    Destroying my country and quality of life. At some point, all the liberal BS will reach a tipping point.

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Theft of labor is an initial act of aggression.
    Like what capitalist do, sending jobs to china to make stuff cheaper for them and then for you!

teacher?

Destroying my country and quality of life. At some point, all the liberal BS will reach a tipping point.
    Damn, that's funny from a trump supporter!! I mean really out loud hilarious!

Really? Trump is destroying the nation? You probably think we flourished under the Obama administration. Health care is now unaffordable, race relations at an all time low, and we have US servicemen all over the place putting their life on the line, and we have never before seen strains with our allies across the world. All Trump's fault right?

Health care is now unaffordable
    I pay about $94 per paycheck (<7% of income) for my healthcare. It includes...

-Medical insurance. $2.5k deducible, after which 80% of all medical expenses with a short list of exceptions (e.g. hearing aids, that sort of thing) is paid for. Once I reach a cap of 5k out of pocket, 100% is paid for. Free physical (including bloodwork) and almost-free prescription meds (10 bucks brand, 5 bucks generic for everything except diabetic stuff which I don't and never will need)

- Dental insurance. Free preventative and diagnostic everything. After $50 deductible, 80% extractions and fillings etc, 50% major stuff.

- Vision insurance. Free pair of glasses every 4 years, free tests every 2.

- $31 for HSA account, $29 of which is the company's contribution. Yep, free money. After 10k is put in, I can invest it. And it's all pre-tax meaning neither President Cheeto nor "let's blow up brown people despite being a brown person" Obama can touch it.

I'm pretty happy with my health insurance, and I stand to lose it all under the Republican bill. I have contacted every single politician in my state to inform them that if my healthcare is reduced in any way shape or form I will do my damndest to ensure that they receive a very large ******* at the pollls next time they're up for re-election.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    I have contacted every single politician in my state to inform them that if my healthcare is reduced in any way shape or form I will do my damndest to ensure that they receive a very large ******* at the pollls next time they're up for re-election.
    This would probably work better if you started a petition saying that.

The NY Times - or as Trump calls it "Fake News!" had an article with a map displaying all the republicans that do not support the bill, many seem to risk losing their office. My guess is that the town halls and letters worked, I would find it to link, but I'm pressed for time.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    The NY Times - or as Trump calls it "Fake News!" had an article with a map displaying all the republicans that do not support the bill, many seem to risk losing their office. My guess is that the town halls and letters worked, I would find it to link, but I'm pressed for time.
    Getting enough signatures could add one more to that list.

I live in a rural area. There are several petitions like that out there, mostly retirees doing something constructive with their free time. Right now we are trying to get them to consolidate and remove overlap so we can send a cohesive letter. It's actually not as easy as it may sound, but the effort is being made. But I've been amazed since I'm in a unique position to see the employer-offered insurance that's available even in this rural area. The insurance I described above which is for a spouse + 1 child is pretty good but there's actually one other local employer I've found which does even better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    I pay about $94 per paycheck (<7% of income) for my healthcare. It includes...

-Medical insurance. $2.5k deducible, after which 80% of all medical expenses with a short list of exceptions (e.g. hearing aids, that sort of thing) is paid for. Once I reach a cap of 5k out of pocket, 100% is paid for. Free physical (including bloodwork) and almost-free prescription meds (10 bucks brand, 5 bucks generic for everything except diabetic stuff which I don't and never will need)

- Dental insurance. Free preventative and diagnostic everything. After $50 deductible, 80% extractions and fillings etc, 50% major stuff.

- Vision insurance. Free pair of glasses every 4 years, free tests every 2.

- $31 for HSA account, $29 of which is the company's contribution. Yep, free money. After 10k is put in, I can invest it. And it's all pre-tax meaning neither President Cheeto nor "let's blow up brown people despite being a brown person" Obama can touch it.

I'm pretty happy with my health insurance, and I stand to lose it all under the Republican bill. I have contacted every single politician in my state to inform them that if my healthcare is reduced in any way shape or form I will do my damndest to ensure that they receive a very large ******* at the pollls next time they're up for re-election.
    You are the exception, not the rule. We lost our insurance, which was better than the Bull**** they give teachers, and now I'm paying about 20% more with a higher deductible and less coverage, part of it was my fault though because I wanted to keep our family doctor. I could have gone a cheaper route, but I like our doctor.

You are the exception, not the rule. We lost our insurance, which was better than the Bull**** they give teachers, and now I'm paying about 20% more with a higher deductible and less coverage, part of it was my fault though because I wanted to keep our family doctor. I could have gone a cheaper route, but I like our doctor.
    Last year same employer there was no deductible. Basically 80% of everything with some exceptions and prescriptions/dental etc were more or less the same. However, if the whole thing is repealed I stand, in the most likely scenario, to lose all of what I already have, or at the very least to pay an extra $75 a paycheck. And that's under the Republican plan. I'd encourage you to triple check what your coverage would be if ACA is repealed. At first glance it would've been a better deal for me until I started reading about subsidies and tax breaks for employers offering the insurance mine does (my employer pays very near 300/pay period for what I have)