Thread: Warming Ocean Temperatures and Dying Coral Reefs

Default Warming Ocean Temperatures and Dying Coral Reefs

It's very disturbing, the damage being done to fragile ecosystems around the world.

Given the current lack of will to do anything serious to reverse these trends, I don't think there's much hope for recovery.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I pray that my zany wishes for the Fukushima radiation to mutate the coral to adapt to our horrifying degradation of our oceans....

Or that they start scrubbing CO2.... It's not like it's that hard to pull the CO2 from the atmosphere and fix the underlying cause of the oceans warming. Though given it'd take construction plans the likes of which the human race has ever attempted... it's still doable.
    Last edited by RycorAbsinthe; 03-14-2017 at 07:48 AM.
    Something about how I am

Quote Originally Posted by RycorAbsinthe View Post
    I pray that my zany wishes for the Fukushima radiation will mutate the coral to adapt to our horrifying degradation of our oceans....

Or that they start scrubbing CO2.... It's not like it's that hard to pull the CO2 from the atmosphere and fix the underlying cause of the oceans warming. Though given it'd take construction plans the likes of which the human race has ever attempted... it's still doable.
    Radiation doesn't produce mutations like that, it just gives you cancer (or outright kills you).

Carbon sequestration was already being talked about in 2003, I saw a program on Deutsche Wella about it, we could do it, but that would take regulations. Regulations that would put thousands to work upgrading and retrofitting existing carbon emission sources. Apparently having more people working damages the economy or something.

Also I didn't read the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

not only tempreture is destroying coral but also other stuff people do:

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Coral reefs are under stress around the world. In particular, coral mining, agricultural and urban runoff, pollution (organic and inorganic), overfishing, blast fishing, disease, and the digging of canals and access into islands and bays are localized threats to coral ecosystems. Broader threats are sea temperature rise, sea level rise and pH changes from ocean acidification, all associated with greenhouse gas emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by RycorAbsinthe View Post
    CO2 concentration is less between 400-500 ppm (particle per million), so how can it be easy to get those particles which their concentration is just 0.04-0.05% of total air volume?

If the higher ups truly believe that CO2 and fossil fuels are destroying the environment:

1. They would not close factories in europe and america, and let the chinese and indians do the manufacturing with their dirty power generation, because china run on coal, and the chinese coal is the dirtiest!

2. They would probably shift fast to natural gas instead of coal since it way too much cleaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    not only tempreture is destroying coral but also other stuff people do:

CO2 concentration is less between 400-500 ppm (particle per million), so how can it be easy to get those particles which their concentration is just 0.04-0.05% of total air volume?

If the higher ups truly believe that CO2 and fossil fuels are destroying the environment:

1. They would not close factories in europe and america, and let the chinese and indians do the manufacturing with their dirty power generation, because china run on coal, and the chinese coal is the dirtiest!

2. They would probably shift fast to natural gas instead of coal since it way too much cleaner.
    I'm not sure if this is satire or you just don't understand the principle...
    Something about how I am

Hunter's statements are accurate.

It's no longer just models and global warming predictions, the impacts are happening now. It would take a global effort to change what is happening to our planet.
    Last edited by Summer; 03-14-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Which is exactly the statement I made.... It's be doable... I like how we are all operating on the same exact logic yet somehow you all feel the need to correct people as if we all stated something different... I was merely saying something constructive.
    Something about how I am

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post

It's no longer just models and global warming predictions, the impacts are happening now. It would take a global effort to change what is happening to our planet.
    Well, we had a good run guys. Maybe we'll win the WW next time
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post

And since that looks less and less likely these days, we will have to adapt instead. If we think we have illegal immigration issues now, wait until Bangladesh goes under.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

It's a myth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

It's a myth.
    It's not just a myth, Blaze. Size really does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    It's not just a myth, Blaze. Size really does matter.
    I can say I heard the convictions first hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.