Thread: GenChat's favourite horror films

Default GenChat's favourite horror films

So, we have established that there's a three-way tie for favourite sf film - The Matrix, Blade Runner and Serenity sharing those honours.

I'm wondering if we have any fans of the horror genre here. Do you have any favourite horror films? Maybe you like the classic suspense thrillers like Psycho or maybe The Cabinet of Doctor Cagliari? Traditional ghost stories, like the original The Haunting, or The Others? George Romero's zombie flicks? Classic vampire films like Nosferatu? Good old monster movies featuring Frankenstein's monster, or Dracula or the Werewolf or all three? Foreign films like The Ring or Let the Right One In? Off-beat approaches, like The Blair Witch Project? Slasher franchises? Horror with religious themes, from Rosemary's Baby or the Omen series to The Exorcist?

There's a wealth of horror films out there - are there any that you particularly like?

All positive mentions will be tabulated and turned into a poll.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Evil Dead series, Let The Right One In, The Thing, The Night of the Hunter, Alien, Apt Pupil, Carrie
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Nope, sorry, I don't like horror...
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

To this day I'm still scarred from the childhood watching of The Poltergeist.... And numerous other things...
    Something about how I am

The exorciste!
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

horror is a dead genre, at least for me.

Night of the Living Dead. That's the only horror movie I ever watched and thought "that was a good movie." All other horror films I have ever seen I would rate bad/10.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

High School Musical. It's terrifying
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    High School Musical. It's terrifying
    Manual Rep
    Something about how I am

Alien, The Silence of the Lambs, Shaun of the Dead (really the whole Cornetto Trilogy), Jaws, Gremlins
    I've not seen Let the Right One In, but I did see the US remake Let Me In (and it is excellent).

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Anyone excited for the new Alien movie?
    Something about how I am

Quote Originally Posted by RycorAbsinthe View Post
    Anyone excited for the new Alien movie?
    The one that's supposed to fit between Prometheus and Alien? Yes, looking forward to it.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

I guess not many folks aroung here enjoy horror films. I'm not fond of the slice and dice variety myself, but there is such a range of films that fit into the genre.

My own favourites:

The Shining
    The Birds
    The Babadook
    Let the Right One In
    The Ring
    The Others
    Alien

I'll wait a few more days to see if anyone else wants to nention any favourites....

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    I guess not many folks aroung here enjoy horror films. I'm not fond of the slice and dice variety myself, but there is such a range of films that fit into the genre.
    the thing I dislike about horror movies, is that at the end -of some- when you see the bad guy dead, at the last second they make him alive, and the movie ends!
    http://static.pokemoninfinity.com/im..._forum_sig.png

trooper? recruit an army and get two recruits from me for your army...

teacher?
    first five would receive 50 extra coins don't miss the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    the thing I dislike about horror movies, is that at the end -of some- when you see the bad guy dead, at the last second they make him alive, and the movie ends!
    I think that worked well with Carrie, but it's definitely become an over-used trope.

GOAT? Halloween.

Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and the new Evil Dead remake. Army of Darkness is up there as well but it is more comedy then horror for me. Though Evil Dead 2 has some comedy as well, I think the horror aspects over ride the comedy where it is the other way around in AoD. Currently rewatching season 1 of Ash vs Evil Dead on bluray. I am one of those cult nuts for Evil Dead and Ash.

The Babadook was excellent and also up there for me. As well, honorable mentions to the ORIGINAL, meaning first movies, in the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street collections. Can't help but also mention The Exorcist.

Not sure if these would fit in "horror" or not, but Silence of the Lambs is one of my favs of all time as well as American Psycho. I think they would fit into the same "genre" if not in horror.

This was all off the top of my head. I may be forgetting some. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsier View Post

Not sure if these would fit in "horror" or not, but Silence of the Lambs is one of my favs of all time as well as American Psycho. I think they would fit into the same "genre" if not in horror.

This was all off the top of my head. I may be forgetting some. :P
    Some people class them as horror, but I think I'll put them into something I'm going to call crime thrillers, because there are a lot if movies like them.

I plan in f=doing more if these, til people get bored and stop responding. Fantasy, spy thrillers, superhero films, military films, historical costume dramas... Lots of genres. Actually, if folks want to suggest genres to add to my list, i'd be happy to oblige.

I looked at https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/b...horror_movies/ for inspiration, because I really wasn't sure what to consider horror. It definitely has crossovers with a lot of other genres. Even looking at that list I ignored some movies that don't feel like horror to me. For example 3 people have mentioned Alien now, but no one mentioned Aliens. While I prefer Aliens over Alien, it feels different. Wikipedia calls Alien "Science Fiction Horror" while Aliens is "Action Horror". So maybe Horror is too wide of a genre for one list. Interestingly when I discussed my picks with my wife, she agreed Silence of the Lambs was horror, but disagreed about Jaws.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    Alien, The Silence of the Lambs, Shaun of the Dead (really the whole Cornetto Trilogy), Jaws, Gremlins
    I've not seen Let the Right One In, but I did see the US remake Let Me In (and it is excellent).
    I've seen both, the original first and I liked the original a bit more. Both were great movies, though.

My own favourites:

The Shining
    I used to love that movie until I found out just how Kubrick got Duvall to act as terrified as she did. Now I can't stomach watching it. All I see is his abuse, overshadowing even Nicholson's spectacular performance.

I think that worked well with Carrie, but it's definitely become an over-used trope.
    Agreed, although Deliverance did it a few years before that (and scared the hell out of me there, too.)
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    I used to love that movie until I found out just how Kubrick got Duvall to act as terrified as she did. Now I can't stomach watching it. All I see is his abuse, overshadowing even Nicholson's spectacular performance.

Agreed, although Deliverance did it a few years before that (and scared the hell out of me there, too.)
    I have not heard about Kubrick and Duvall, though I know he could be manipulative as hell. Didn't he mess with Cruise and Kidman's heads during the filming of Eyes Wide Shut?

And I really should watch Deliverance. Somehow I've just never had the sense that I could get through it. Some kinds of movies I just can't watch. Too intense.

I have not heard about Kubrick and Duvall, though I know he could be manipulative as hell. Didn't he mess with Cruise and Kidman's heads during the filming of Eyes Wide Shut?

And I really should watch Deliverance. Somehow I've just never had the sense that I could get through it. Some kinds of movies I just can't watch. Too intense.
    He was abusive as hell to her. She lost hair, was physically ill. He would do dozens and dozens of takes with her, while verbally abusing her.

As far as Deliverance goes, it got infamous from 2 things but the movie is so much more than squealing like a pig or the dueling banjos song (was really a banjo and an acoustic guitar, the lying liars). One of the best movies Burt Reynolds ever did, fantastic performances all around - but yeah, it is intense. Painfully intense. So many people take so many different things away from it.
    They all did their own stunts in the canoes, tho, so... there's that.

Only watched Deliverance once and that was enough. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsier View Post
    Only watched Deliverance once and that was enough. :P
    I watched it when I was a teen then again about 10 years later and again about 6 months ago. Totally different response each time, and picked up on different things each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    I watched it when I was a teen then again about 10 years later and again about 6 months ago. Totally different response each time, and picked up on different things each time.
    Has been many many years since I watched it. May have to give it another viewing then.

I LOVE and DEVOUR Horror movies. Only one movie freaked me out and caused me to change. Blair Witch Project. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER go camping again. Ever
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

Quote Originally Posted by RycorAbsinthe View Post
    To this day I'm still scarred from the childhood watching of The Poltergeist.... And numerous other things...
    This. I was terrified to get braces as a tween due to one of the poltergeist movies. You know the scene where the kid gets stuck to the ceiling and the braces grow and envelope him (or was it a her? I cant remember)

The scene of the old guy from the tequila bottle that becomes a slimy slug like humanoid... that one got me too. I would sit on the side of the room furthest from my Uncle's tequila collection. Always.

As a teen, I liked the Halloween series, pet cemetery, and the first Scream. I liked anything with spooky witchcraft, but I can't think of any titles at the moment.

I feel like modern thrillers/horrors are predictable and not scary. I laughed through The Ring, was distrurbed through The Butterfly Effect, but not scared. Cabin in the woods was lame IMO.

I was bigger into thriller/horror books than movies.
    Last edited by Pile of Pandas; 03-18-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cisalpine View Post
    I LOVE and DEVOUR Horror movies. Only one movie freaked me out and caused me to change. Blair Witch Project. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER go camping again. Ever
    So which ones are your favourites? Inquiring minds want to know.

That is one I've actually never seen.
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post

As a teen, I liked the Halloween series, pet cemetery, and the first Scream. I liked anything with spooky witchcraft, but I can't think of any titles at the moment.

I feel like modern thrillers/horrors are predictable and not scary. I laughed through The Ring, was distrurbed through The Butterfly Effect, but not scared. Cabin in the woods was lame IMO.

I was bigger into thriller/horror books than movies.
    Any horror films you do like? If the modern ones are too predictable, are there any of the classics that you still think are scary rather than predictable?

Blair Witch was good in it's time. It took too long for the "payoff" at the end and was semi-boring during the build up, but it was still a good movie.

If I can throw one out for discussion... 28 Days Later was a good zombie flick.

EDIT: I forget if it was mentioned before, and this is the type of mind fartery that gets tears in my eyes... the first Paranormal Activity.

So which ones are your favourites? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Well, you already posted the poll, but:
    Shining
    The Ring
    The Omen
    The Exorcism
    The Cabin in the woods
    The collector
    The Hills have eyes
    And while I can't STAND torture movies, this deserves acknowledgement......Saw
    Bates Motel (original movie)
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

Well, you already posted the poll, but:
    Shining
    The Ring
    The Omen
    The Exorcism
    The Cabin in the woods
    The collector
    The Hills have eyes
    And while I can't STAND torture movies, this deserves acknowledgement......Saw
    Bates Motel (original movie)
    This guy at work said his favorite movies are all of the Wrong Turn movies, all of The Hills have eyes, and all of Chainsaw Massacre, including the special edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.

My internet brings all the nerds to the yard, And there like, Its better than yours, Damn right its better than yours, I can share with you, But I have to charge!
    La la-la la la, I know Rok wants it! La la-la la la, and it's on Wifi! Imagine if I bothered to tether it! La la-la la la, nah nah nah nah nah! La la-la la la!

AH Gump, how did I forget!?!
    The Hitcher (the original, of course). Rutger was scary as all heck.

The country with the world's longest official name

That sounds like a reasonable decision regardless of horror films.

Wrong / 10. Camping is excellent. I'm going to Yosemite this summer ^^
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Wrong / 10. Camping is excellent. I'm going to Yosemite this summer ^^
    Textbook bourgeoisie.