Thread: A literary game

Default A literary game

Take the first line of any novel (or short story, or poem, or play, or song, if you prefer) and then add the sentence 'And then the murders began.'

Examples:

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. And then the murders began.
    - 1984, George Orwell

As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into an enormous insect. And then the murders began.
    - The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons... and then the murders began.
    - "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann

Call me Ishmael. And then the murders began.

Mobius Deekius, Herman Melville.

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton. And then the murders began.

- The Lord of the Rings.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
    I never meant to cause you any pain
    I only wanted to one time to see you laughing
    I only wanted to see you
    Laughing in the purple rain
    And then the murders began...

I like this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day
    I was out choppin' cotton and my brother was balin' hay...
    And then the murders began.

Now, in the living of my life, I've killed deadly men and dangerous animals and made love to four Chinese women, all of them on the same night and in the same wagon bed, and one of them with a wooden leg, which made things a mite difficult from time to time.

Paradise Sky, Joe R. Lansdale
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Mr. And Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. And then the murders began.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine (1968)
    Once upon a time, or maybe twice, there was an unearthly paradise called: "Pepperland." 20,000 leagues beneath the sea it lay...or, lie. I'm not too sure.

"Pepperland is a tickle of joy on the blue belly of the universe."

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman (2004)
    There was a time -- a time before cable -- when the local anchorman reigned supreme; when people believed everything they heard on TV. This was an age when only men were allowed to read the news.

I was gonna do Rocky Horror, but it works out too well. Even Yellow Submarine works out too well
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes. And then the murders began.
    - Animal Farm, George Orwell

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her. And then the muders began.
    - Emma, Jane Austen

It also works with news articles:
    President Trump rolled out the red carpet for Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Feb. 10 for three days of lavish praise, elaborate dinners, lots of golf and a ride on Air Force One.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    LOL. That would be down and up rep worthy (for LOLs and for messing with a non-political thread!)
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    +10 manual rep.

Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug. And then the murders began.

- Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

The magician’s underwear has just been found in a cardboard suitcase floating in a stagnant pond on the outskirts of Miami.

Burroughs, Naked Lunch.

We skipped the light fandango
    Turned cartwheels cross the floor
    I was feeling kinda seasick
    But the crowd called out for more...

And then the murders began

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    We skipped the light fandango
    Turned cartwheels cross the floor
    I was feeling kinda seasick
    But the crowd called out for more...

And then the murders began
    I so need to +Rep this.

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
    A beautiful day for a neighbor,
    Would you be mine?
    Could you be mine?