Thread: My Laptop is Dying.

Default My Laptop is Dying.

Is so sad.

It has a perpetual fever due to a crappy fan, and the processor is getting old and worn out and overheats.

Should I get another laptop, or get a desktop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Do you use your laptop as a desktop? If so, then get a desktop. Cheaper, faster, more storage. If you use the portability of the laptop, then do that. Portability is nice if you are going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Is so sad.

It has a perpetual fever due to a crappy fan, and the processor is getting old and worn out and overheats.

You can use a laptop on your desk, but you can't use a desktop on your lap.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Do you use your laptop as a desktop? If so, then get a desktop. Cheaper, faster, more storage. If you use the portability of the laptop, then do that. Portability is nice if you are going to use it.
    Ooh, I should get a Surface Pro and a desktop! Good idea!
    I'm not very bright.

Ooh, I should get a Surface Pro and a desktop! Good idea!
    Ew, microsoft products.

But that's generally what I'd suggest, yes. Just... not the microsoft version of a portable device

Ew, microsoft products.

But that's generally what I'd suggest, yes. Just... not the microsoft version of a portable device
    I have yet to see a serious competitor to their Surface Pros.
    I'm not very bright.

They also have the Surface Book which is basically a (very) enhanced version. As a cheaper alternative on the 2-1 front I've identified the HP Spectre x360 13-ac076nr as a good candidate.

Regarding a desktop my next one will come from Digital Storm, not sure which model yet. But if gaming is your thing they have good options both for desktops and laptops.

The question you need to ask yourself is how much money are you willing to spend? That provides the context for questions about portability. Personally if I can I intend to have both the HP Spectre and a desktop so I have a powerful desktop and a mobile option.

Literally any tablet...

What do you do on your lappy? Just browse the interwebs? Just go Chrome... they're cheap as anythinig.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Much as I hate agreeing with Sap and endorsing E Corp, the surface is pretty good. I don't have one, but my husband does, and when we travel together, I'm jealous. I went for a cheaper option, but it's just not as easy and pretty.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Nooo not you too >.<

Surface is pretty good. I bought my girlfriend one and she loves it.

I would invest in a desktop if you are looking to play games on it. If not though a Surface should cover your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    Surface is pretty good. I bought my girlfriend one and she loves it.

I would invest in a desktop if you are looking to play games on it. If not though a Surface should cover your needs.
    No, no. A surface is good IF you have a decent desktop. Not on its own. Hubby uses it to remote in to his grunty stuff. That works well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    No, no. A surface is good IF you have a decent desktop. Not on its own. Hubby uses it to remote in to his grunty stuff. That works well though.
    What more do you need a laptop for than a tablet?

It depends what Sap wants and he sounded excited by the idea of a Surface and a desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    What more do you need a laptop for than a tablet?

It depends what Sap wants and he sounded excited by the idea of a Surface and a desktop.
    You were inferring that the only reason you'd need more than a surface only is for games. I guess that could be true for some, but I think Sap is some sort of injineer, so he might do actual work related stuff. But he does play games (doesn't everyone on here?). So he would need a desktop as well. Or a better lappy.

Literally any tablet...

What do you do on your lappy? Just browse the interwebs? Just go Chrome... they're cheap as anythinig.
    I use several engineering software suites as well as CAD. Therefore I need Windows and I need a powerful architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    You were inferring that the only reason you'd need more than a surface only is for games. I guess that could be true for some, but I think Sap is some sort of injineer, so he might do actual work related stuff. But he does play games (doesn't everyone on here?). So he would need a desktop as well. Or a better lappy.
    Gaming laptops are dum.
    Last edited by SMOD polkadot; 03-07-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Double Post
    I'm not very bright.

I use several engineering software suites as well as CAD. Therefore I need Windows and I need a powerful architecture.
    build your own desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    build your own desktop.

Honestly I'm trying to get work to buy me a surface pro, but they won't budge on the budget.

The surface pro would give you portability to use the software anywhere, especially if you're traveling for work. Or to access schematics in the fly, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBlade View Post
    They also have the Surface Book which is basically a (very) enhanced version. As a cheaper alternative on the 2-1 front I've identified the HP Spectre x360 13-ac076nr as a good candidate.

Regarding a desktop my next one will come from Digital Storm, not sure which model yet. But if gaming is your thing they have good options both for desktops and laptops.

The question you need to ask yourself is how much money are you willing to spend? That provides the context for questions about portability. Personally if I can I intend to have both the HP Spectre and a desktop so I have a powerful desktop and a mobile option.
    I was thinking ibuypower or cyperpc.
    Last edited by SMOD polkadot; 03-07-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Double Post
    I'm not very bright.

Sucks. Sounds like you're tethered to that ball and chain.

You're seriously turning into a whiny ***** because someone else is using an operating system that you've been carefully trained to dislike?
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

What alternative do you prefer?
    I'm not very bright.

50 bucks says his head is crammed right into Steve Job's cinnamon knot. He's too whiny and definitely not bright enough to be a Linux user.

Course, now that I've pointed this out, he may very well come back on and scream, "I"M A BRIGHT SHINY PENGUIN@"
    Last edited by Lurk; 03-07-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    50 bucks says his head is crammed right into Steve Job's cinnamon knot. He's too whiny and definitely not bright enough to be a Linux user.
    I was thinking either that POS or Ubuntu, which is just as bloated of a Linux kernel as anything.
    I'm not very bright.

You're seriously turning into a whiny ***** because someone else is using an operating system that you've been carefully trained to dislike?
    Settle down there, Lurkie. Am I not allowed to express my opinion about Windows?
    For computerboxes, linux. Specifically, Linux Mint. Double boot with Windows XP for certain videogames if you're into those.

For pads/tablets, it depends on the use. I have no alternative for windows given your use needs. For myself though, as I said, Chromebooks are much better. Kindles and iPads are tier II in my opinion. Windows can be tier III. But I don't need the specific programs you're talking about. Sounds like you're gonna be stuck with a windows portable device if you do it that way -- I am glad you liked my desktop + tablet response though

Stay with Bill Gates, he does a lot of charity with his foundation. Unless TB has some dirt on them?

Course, now that I've pointed this out, he may very well come back on and scream, "I"M A BRIGHT SHINY PENGUIN@"
    I win.

Settle down there, Lurkie. Am I not allowed to express my opinion about Windows?

For computerboxes, linux. Specifically, Linux Mint.
    Linux Mint is a kernel based on debian and Ubuntu, with a GUI relating to Windows for ease of use. It's ironic, you're using a linux Kernel that's even more designed to be like Windows than Ubuntu.

Double boot with Windows XP for certain videogames if you're into those.
    This is just silly. Windows XP has very limited multithreading capabilities, as well as limited RAM recognition on 32 bit architecture. But the most obvious flaw is that there's no OS support and no programs are being released with XP support. Really, you should be using Windows 7 or Windows 10 for you dual booting needs.

For pads/tablets, it depends on the use. I have no alternative for windows given your use needs. For myself though, as I said, Chromebooks are much better. Kindles and iPads are tier II in my opinion. Windows can be tier III. But I don't need the specific programs you're talking about. Sounds like you're gonna be stuck with a windows portable device if you do it that way -- I am glad you liked my desktop + tablet response though
    So, Chromebooks are nice for anything that's on par with word processing. Anything heavier, and you need a real operating system (since ChromeOS isn't even full fledged androidOS). As for saying Kindles are tier II, that's like saying Symbian is a better mobileOS than WindowsMobile. It's a complete farce, their apps library is completely lacking, with no android compatibility. While I love my Kindle e-reader, and my mom loves her Kindle Fire, it's not on the same level of even Android or iOS, which again are both mobile platforms and not standalone OS, such as Pro versions of the Surface.

You sound like a fanboy, hating on the competition just cause.

The only thing I'll give to you is that WindowsNT is crap and I'd prefer AndroidOS to it.

EDIT: WindowsNT is only on Surface models that don't contain "Pro", which means it's a separate architecture that can only run apps and not standalone .exe programs.
    Last edited by Sapient; 03-07-2017 at 02:04 AM.
    I'm not very bright.

Is so sad.

Abort it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Tbh I wasn't expecting to get into an argument about it considering the lighthearted tone and nature of my posts. But Windows XP is nice b/c it's small so I can partition a tiny piece of my hard drive for it and run all the games I play, which happen to also be from the '90's, with basically no hardware cost. And Kindles are good for what they're good for, and so are Chromebooks, so I don't even disagree with you. We just obviously use our tech for pretty different purposes.

But Windows XP is nice
    but with no support your pc will be a swamp for the hackers.

Abort it.
    Post birth are my favorite kind.

Tbh I wasn't expecting to get into an argument about it considering the lighthearted tone and nature of my posts. But Windows XP is nice b/c it's small so I can partition a tiny piece of my hard drive for it and run all the games I play, which happen to also be from the '90's, with basically no hardware cost. And Kindles are good for what they're good for, and so are Chromebooks, so I don't even disagree with you. We just obviously use our tech for pretty different purposes.
    Hunter is right of course, any security flaws in the system won't be patched and repaired. The system is vulnerable, especially with newer hacking methods.

If that's your only reason for using Windows, you should set it up as a virtual machine, to stop would be hackers. Since it's so small and light, it won't weigh down your system.

While you're right that "Kindles are good for what they're good for", it doesn't explain why they're ranked higher than Windows, except for the simple fact that you dislike their owners Microsoft, due to your political ideologies.
    but with no support your pc will be a swamp for the hackers.
    I'm sure you Eastern Europeans know all about that.
    I'm not very bright.

I used to be an ardent fan of All Things Apple. Until I found out that they were as sucky about farming out to China as every other major company and there were suicide nets put around the building where they (and many other computer companies) had their shizzle made.
    Screw Apple.
    Besides, Apple isn't what it once was. They aren't very friendly with anything NOT Apple (i.e., there equipment is as stuck up as the legion of Jim Jones' followers that swear by Apple [yes, I was once one of them and like the actress who escaped Scientology, i know what I am talking about]), are over-priced and fragile as hell. And that new commercial that brags about how they cannot get pc viruses? Not only is it bizarre because there have always been issues with worms and viruses with Apple (just not to the extent of Windows) but these days you can actually get pc viruses if you run Boot Camp on your Mac.
    Save a fortune, get Windows. The OS is far easier to use and isn't as impossible to work with as OS 10.37 (are they afraid to go to 11?)
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    I used to be an ardent fan of All Things Apple. Until I found out that they were as sucky about farming out to China as every other major company and there were suicide nets put around the building where they (and many other computer companies) had their shizzle made.
    Screw Apple.
    Besides, Apple isn't what it once was. They aren't very friendly with anything NOT Apple (i.e., there equipment is as stuck up as the legion of Jim Jones' followers that swear by Apple [yes, I was once one of them and like the actress who escaped Scientology, i know what I am talking about]), are over-priced and fragile as hell. And that new commercial that brags about how they cannot get pc viruses? Not only is it bizarre because there have always been issues with worms and viruses with Apple (just not to the extent of Windows) but these days you can actually get pc viruses if you run Boot Camp on your Mac.
    Save a fortune, get Windows. The OS is far easier to use and isn't as impossible to work with as OS 10.37 (are they afraid to go to 11?)
    You can't get PC viruses since PC is a registered trademark of Windows computers. You can however get computer viruses. That ad is very underhanded for those not knowledgeable in computers.

That's like Windows running an ad saying "Windows PC can't get Apple viruses."

Yeah, no ****.
    Last edited by SMOD polkadot; 03-07-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Filter Evasion.
    I'm not very bright.

While you're right that "Kindles are good for what they're good for", it doesn't explain why they're ranked higher than Windows, except for the simple fact that you dislike their owners Microsoft, due to your political ideologies.
    Portability.

Battery life on a Kindle Fire: ~8 hours. (I turn screen brightness down all the way always forever.)
    Battery life on Surface Pro: ~5.5-6 hours.

Also, Bill & Melinda Gates are some of the best rich people there are.

Such effort to try to pick a fight with me

Portability.

Battery life on a Kindle Fire: ~8 hours. (I turn screen brightness down all the way always forever.)
    Battery life on Surface Pro: ~5.5-6 hours.
    Kindles are limited on the software they can run, though. If you just want them for reading books, they are awesome. You want to run a ton of games that you also run on your phone, you are going to find limitations.
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Kindles are limited on the software they can run, though. If you just want them for reading books, they are awesome. You want to run a ton of games that you also run on your phone, you are going to find limitations.
    This. And they aren't even good for books, since they strain your eyes. My Kindle paperwhite lasts for weeks.
    I'm not very bright.

I used to be a computer science nerd, but I gave it up some decades ago. Still, my philosophy has always been that the best operating system/architecture combo is the one that does whatever you need it to do in the most efficient manner. This varies from user to user.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 03-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I'm sure you Eastern Europeans know all about that.
    China, I know Chinese hacker. They are better than US hackers. SAD.

China, I know Chinese hacker. They are better than US hackers. SAD.
    Thank you Putin.
    I'm not very bright.

This. And they aren't even good for books, since they strain your eyes. My Kindle paperwhite lasts for weeks.
    Yeah, I was being kind. I don't read my books on a freaking electronic device. I'm old school, mainly because I stair at electronic devices for too many other things.