Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The E><panse

Default The E><panse

Dan, you're right! It's like a fine wine, it's gotten better with age!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Senior Community Moderator SMOD polkadot's Avatar

Are you referring to the tv series? If so, I recently started watching it and have to say it has gotten very interesting after each episode.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOD polkadot View Post
    Are you referring to the tv series? If so, I recently started watching it and have to say it has gotten very interesting after each episode.

I was... in very poor health when I first watched it (though when am I not?) so I've decided to rewatch season one and see if I get more into it this time.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I guess your and TB's posts got me hooked on the show as well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by banzai130 View Post
    I guess your and TB's posts got me hooked on the show as well. Thanks.
    DanChak loves it too. The last episode was mind blowing.
    I'm not very bright.

The show is amazing. ScyFy has eased up on their swearing so we get unfettered Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo, who is @##$ing amazing in the role and fits the image PERFECTLY from what I pictured in the books). The special effects are outstanding, especially for a TV series. The casualness of gay relationships, polygamy, the inclusion of small-yet-powerful mini-stories (the uncle who booted his nephew out of the ship before a suicide mission) - The network is going all out on this one and it's easily my all time favorite science fiction tv show. Sorry Firefly.
    I really hope they keep going. I've just started the latest book, but the one before that was pure awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Chrisjen Avasarala
    ^^ Easily my favorite character.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    ^^ Easily my favorite character.
    She doesn't join the books until the second one, but I am totally behind the idea of having her in from the beginning. Normally bureaucratic scenes bore the daylights out of me, but every scene she is in grabs me. Just trying to figure out where her mind is with the choices she makes leaves me dizzy.
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

I never read the books. Does this make me an ignorant neophyte?
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

I never read the books. Does this make me an ignorant neophyte?
    I dunno, but it does make me jealous of you.

I dunno, but it does make me jealous of you.
    Were they bad? I was considering reading them because I want to know what happens

Were they bad? I was considering reading them because I want to know what happens
    No, I loved them. I have the newest one that I'm reading now.
    One of the authors started all of this almost a decade ago when he was world-building to supply for an MMO. He created all of the politics, history and so on, spend an immense amount of time before the folks who wanted to make an MMO found out how expensive it was and left the scene. Then he turned the work to making a table top role playing game. His friend saw all the work he put into it and suggested that they turn out novels on it instead, and that's what they do. They split up chapters and when they finish their chapter, they pass it on to the other to edit before going on to the next.
    They put out a book a year and they are huge, wonderful books. Only one weak book in the series and it was still good stuff, just weak when compared to the rest.

I'm just jealous that you will be reading them for the first time.

You know, when I saw the politics of The Expanse on the screen after episode 2, I was thinking to myself, "damn, this would make a GREAT D&D world setup." This explains very much.

Thanks for the info; I'll get to page-turning

You know, when I saw the politics of The Expanse on the screen after episode 2, I was thinking to myself, "damn, this would make a GREAT D&D world setup." This explains very much.

Thanks for the info; I'll get to page-turning
    If and when you finish Nemesis Games, send me a message!

New episode tonight!
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    New episode tonight!
    I'll be seeing it tomorrow though so no spoilers!

I'll be seeing it tomorrow though so no spoilers!
    Imma post it all over your facebook.
    I'm not very bright.

That's a relief, since I basically never check that

Dan Chak and Sapient will perhaps be gratified to know that this time around, The Expanse is working for me. It must gave been my mental state and being really sick that interfered with my ability to absorb the complexities.

Not that I'm not just as sick now, but I've gotten used to dealing with stuff despite the general crappiness and pain.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Dan Chak and Sapient will perhaps be gratified to know that this time around, The Expanse is working for me. It must gave been my mental state and being really sick that interfered with my ability to absorb the complexities.

Not that I'm not just as sick now, but I've gotten used to dealing with stuff despite the general crappiness and pain.
    I'm indifferent to your opinions.
    I'm not very bright.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Binge watched the first 8 eps. Will finish the first season tonight. That I managed a binge means it's pretty good. I usually only manage 2 or 3 at a time.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Binge watched the first 8 eps. Will finish the first season tonight. That I managed a binge means it's pretty good. I usually only manage 2 or 3 at a time.
    Yeah, this time through, I found myself quite engaged with it and got completely caught up in just a couple of days. Now I've been waiting fir the next new episode with anticipation. Tomorrow night!

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    1st season is great. 2nd season is just better. Mid-season episode was so freaking awesome in scope and story it would have made a wonderful season ender in and of itself.

Yeah, this time through, I found myself quite engaged with it and got completely caught up in just a couple of days. Now I've been waiting fir the next new episode with anticipation. Tomorrow night!
    Glad you like it. Favorite characters?

1st season is great. 2nd season is just better. Mid-season episode was so freaking awesome in scope and story it would have made a wonderful season ender in and of itself.

Glad you like it. Favorite characters?
    Chrisjen Avasarala and Naomi, for sure. It took a while, but Joe Miller really grew on me. But all the characters are strong and complex, and the acting is great.

Chrisjen Avasarala and Naomi, for sure. It took a while, but Joe Miller really grew on me. But all the characters are strong and complex, and the acting is great.
    I love Chrisjen. Season 2 the channel loosened up the strings on swearing and we get to see her as she is in the books - a politician with a mouth like a dock worker. She's easily the scariest of all the people.
    Having read the books, I know a lot about Naomi's background. They've given lots of hints throughout both seasons so far, some tiny and some not-so-much, but she is, by far, the smartest and most educated person out of the crew.
    Only a few episodes left for season 2 Really hope the numbers increase enough for ScyFy to give it another season.

I love Chrisjen. Season 2 the channel loosened up the strings on swearing and we get to see her as she is in the books - a politician with a mouth like a dock worker. She's easily the scariest of all the people.
    Having read the books, I know a lot about Naomi's background. They've given lots of hints throughout both seasons so far, some tiny and some not-so-much, but she is, by far, the smartest and most educated person out of the crew.
    Only a few episodes left for season 2 Really hope the numbers increase enough for ScyFy to give it another season.

Ah, I thought there was a story behind Naomi.

Ah, I thought there was a story behind Naomi.
    There is. Jim is pretty open and his background has been pretty much given: only child of a polygamy family, raised on a ranch/farm. Alex has a bit more to go, but they've given lots of bits and pieces so far. Amos has a HUGE background that they've only scratched at. And then there's Naomi, a woman with degrees from two different universities, and who completed her three-year flight officer training in only two years. With that kind of background, she was Chief Engineer on an ice hauling ship, which is like Einstein running an ice cream truck.
    Lmao, just thought of how Jim, the captain of the Roc, is not the strongest fighter, smartest crew member, nor the best pilot on the ship! It's like the rest are all just putting up with him because he brings them coffee, lmao!
    Last edited by Dan Chak; 03-15-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Hey now! Please do not spoil it!

I do not remember how far I got into it, but I have not been all caught up.

/me pouts.

I agree. Spoiler alert before any spoilers so I don't have to fear before clicking the thread!

Character backgrounds are pretty innocuous right now though.

I tried hard to avoid any and all spoiling. Sorry.

There is.

Jim is pretty open and his background has been pretty much given: only child of a polygamy family, raised on a ranch/farm. Alex has a bit more to go, but they've given lots of bits and pieces so far. Amos has a HUGE background that they've only scratched at. And then there's Naomi, a woman with degrees from two different universities, and who completed her three-year flight officer training in only two years. With that kind of background, she was Chief Engineer on an ice hauling ship, which is like Einstein running an ice cream truck.
    Lmao, just thought of how Jim, the captain of the Roc, is not the strongest fighter, smartest crew member, nor the best pilot on the ship! It's like the rest are all just putting up with him because he brings them coffee, lmao!

We have spoiler tags for a reason, Dan. I have a dark theme, so white text is more prominent.

Quote me to see the tags.
    I'm not very bright.

Who saw e08? I feel like I missed an episode, but I didn't. Did I?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    We have spoiler tags for a reason, Dan. I have a dark theme, so white text is more prominent.

Quote me to see the tags.
    Feh. From now on I'll just communicate in this thread via emoticons. Then nothing is spoiled.

Who saw e08? I feel like I missed an episode, but I didn't. Did I?

Dammit though that's a serious query -- someone who saw all of season 2 so far PM me

Dammit though that's a serious query -- someone who saw all of season 2 so far PM me
    Just watching it now. (I time-shift a lot.) if no one else has responded to you by the time I've finished, let me know and I'll PM you.

Just watching it now. (I time-shift a lot.) if no one else has responded to you by the time I've finished, let me know and I'll PM you.

I missed an episode. GG.

Okay, I cannot just use emoticons and I need to be able to talk in here. How long of a delay should we have to talk about episodes in here before being free to? And I haven't revealed anything about the books that has yet to be revealed (have I??)

I say reveal whatever you want as long as you spoiler alert it.

I say reveal whatever you want as long as you spoiler alert it.
    No idea how to use spoiler alert tags, and will forget shortly after someone tells me. Maybe just read posts here and type in my Note application my responses and not post them.
    Did you watch the missed episode yet?