Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The E><panse

I just finished reading The Churn, a short story that covers 2 days of Amos' life when he was about 15 years old. Saddest, horrifying-est thing I've read in a while. #NowIknow
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Thanks for giving me a story to avoid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.

My internet brings all the nerds to the yard, And there like, Its better than yours, Damn right its better than yours, I can share with you, But I have to charge!
    La la-la la la, I know Rok wants it! La la-la la la, and it's on Wifi! Imagine if I bothered to tether it! La la-la la la, nah nah nah nah nah! La la-la la la!

"Every ****** thing we do makes the next one that much easier."
    "We cannot afford to be enemies anymore."

Stories of the human race.

"The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Thanks for giving me a story to avoid
    Yeah, unless you want to know why Amos has that slightly vacant gaze when he discusses killing someone in the same way he talks about getting a tool handed to him, you can avoid the story. All I know is I wanted to hug him when I was done. From, like, a distance. A far far distance.

...virtual hug, mebbe.
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Yeah, unless you want to know why Amos has that slightly vacant gaze when he discusses killing someone in the same way he talks about getting a tool handed to him, you can avoid the story. All I know is I wanted to hug him when I was done. From, like, a distance. A far far distance.

...virtual hug, mebbe.
    I think I ought to look for that story....
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    I think I ought to look for that story....
    I got it from Amazon for 2.99 but it's a digital copy and I'm not sure how to, or if one can, download and share. Will look up on it.

I got it from Amazon for 2.99 but it's a digital copy and I'm not sure how to, or if one can, download and share. Will look up on it.
    I think I have a line on a copy. Thanks, though.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

It's easy to strip the drm on books.

My internet brings all the nerds to the yard, And there like, Its better than yours, Damn right its better than yours, I can share with you, But I have to charge!
    La la-la la la, I know Rok wants it! La la-la la la, and it's on Wifi! Imagine if I bothered to tether it! La la-la la la, nah nah nah nah nah! La la-la la la!

Well, The Expanse novels just moved way up on my 'to be read' list - in the first year in which the Hugos included a category for Best Series, it's been nominated.

Since I mean to read at least a few books in every nominated series (that I haven't already read) I'd best get going.

Dammit you might beat me to them. They're on my list too but there's a big Hannah Arendt piece in between my current novel and those. And nonfiction takes longer to read.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Dammit you might beat me to them. They're on my list too but there's a big Hannah Arendt piece in between my current novel and those. And nonfiction takes longer to read.
    Oh, I've got a lot of Hugo reading to do. Three nominated novels, five nominated novellas, six nominated novelettes and short stories, six nominated graohic novels, three nominated non-fiction books, selections from four nominated series, and examples of work from two writers nominated fir the Campbell Award. Basically, I've read a little less than half of the nominated works, and I need to read the rest by July so I can make an informed vote.

But there will be some of the Expanse books in there somewhere.

Fortunately, the Hugo awards committee makes arrangements to provide as many of the nominated works as possible free of charge to the voters, so I should only have to find a few myself.

You're also reading Mistborn I heard

You're also reading Mistborn I heard
    It's in the queue.....

So many books, so little time. Even though I generally read well over 100 books in a year, it's never enough to make the To-Be-Read queue any shorter. People keep writing interesting books faster than I can read them.

Senior Community Moderator SMOD polkadot's Avatar

I'd love to try and give the books a read. Sadly I have not touched a book in years; graphic novels do not count. Oddly enough I think I'd prefer the graphic novels of TWD to the actual tv series (never watched an episode from start to finish), maybe it is just the artist in me.

Perhaps it is also because I have found that I now have little patience or just don't find the time to sit down and read. I have fallen off from watching the Expanse, but maybe I'll catch up on it again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOD polkadot View Post
    I'd love to try and give the books a read. Sadly I have not touched a book in years; graphic novels do not count. Oddly enough I think I'd prefer the graphic novels of TWD to the actual tv series (never watched an episode from start to finish), maybe it is just the artist in me.

Perhaps it is also because I have found that I now have little patience or just don't find the time to sit down and read. I have fallen off from watching the Expanse, but maybe I'll catch up on it again soon.
    This is sad, but I went through about a year not reading squat, not even opening a book. I had 2 books at work I started to read 3 years ago at lunch and breaks and just stopped. Boss put my paychecks, personal Christmas card w/a $25 Walmart card and a quarterly bonus check (tiny thing that it was) all in one of the books and I had no clue that they sat there for 2 years
    I love The Walking Dead comics as well as the tv show. The actors on the tv show go above and beyond, as does most of the people who work on it. It diverges time and again from the comics, but - for the most part - it works.
    The Expanse's 2nd season is better than the 1st, in my opinion, and that's saying a lot.
    Sorry you don't have the time or patience to read a good book. I get it. Hope it changes for you soon.

This is sad, but I went through about a year not reading squat, not even opening a book. I had 2 books at work I started to read 3 years ago at lunch and breaks and just stopped. Boss put my paychecks, personal Christmas card w/a $25 Walmart card and a quarterly bonus check (tiny thing that it was) all in one of the books and I had no clue that they sat there for 2 years
    I love The Walking Dead comics as well as the tv show. The actors on the tv show go above and beyond, as does most of the people who work on it. It diverges time and again from the comics, but - for the most part - it works.
    The Expanse's 2nd season is better than the 1st, in my opinion, and that's saying a lot.
    Sorry you don't have the time or patience to read a good book. I get it. Hope it changes for you soon.
    You can probably request a new check since it wasn't cashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    You can probably request a new check since it wasn't cashed.
    There's no expiration date on it, nor the '30/60/90' days thing to cash it in. Gonna drop it off some time, see if it deposits. It's painfully small, though. I'd be lucky if it was enough to take Kim out to dinner. Wouldn't cover babysitters, that's for sure.

There's no expiration date on it, nor the '30/60/90' days thing to cash it in. Gonna drop it off some time, see if it deposits. It's painfully small, though. I'd be lucky if it was enough to take Kim out to dinner. Wouldn't cover babysitters, that's for sure.
    Everything helps.

I'm FB friends with one of the authors and he's doing a live tweet feed as tonight's show is unfolding. Teasing little bursts that are driving me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOD polkadot View Post

I consider graphic novels as 'real books' and they count vey much. Some of the most interesting work in fiction today is being done in graphic novels.

Anyway, thread topic -- I just watched the episode that aired yesterday, and:

1) I hate all the show's male characters,
    2) I like 1 female lead a lot, and 2 more close behind.

Maybe I hate people so much because I don't hang out with enough women?

Anyway, thread topic -- I just watched the episode that aired yesterday, and:

1) I hate all the show's male characters,
    2) I like 1 female lead a lot, and 2 more close behind.

Maybe I hate people so much because I don't hang out with enough women?
    You hate Alex?!?! How can anyone hate Alex???

He's not even a main character. Barely characterized. I'll get back to you when I read the books

He's not even a main character. Barely characterized. I'll get back to you when I read the books
    Alex is SO a main character! He's the gosh-durned PILOT of the Rosci!

Alex is SO a main character! He's the gosh-durned PILOT of the Rosci!
    But like, that's it! He was prominent in like one episode, and only insofar as he served as a foil to Amos that episode. He's in the main characters' "party," but he has yet to differentiate himself as anything more than a "supporting player." It's like Chrisjen's bodyguard guy. He's there, and serves a plot purpose, but isn't really an independently acting character.

But, I'm quibbling -- you're right. I should be more specific, because I don't hate Alex; I just didn't consider him a main character.

Characters I strongly dislike/hate:
    Holden [Male]
    Amos [Male]
    Diogo [Male]
    Wright [Male]
    Dawes [Male]

Characters I dislike as people but don't necessarily hate:
    Miller [Male]
    Alex [Male]
    Fred Johnson [Male]
    Julie Mao [Female]

Characters I like a bit:
    Naomi [Female]
    Bobby [Female]

Characters I like lots:
    Chrisjen [Female]

Maybe I'm actually sexist. This is decent evidence against me.

Maybe I'm just a terrible person and don't like enough of my fellow humans.

But like, that's it! He was prominent in like one episode, and only insofar as he served as a foil to Amos that episode. He's in the main characters' "party," but he has yet to differentiate himself as anything more than a "supporting player." It's like Chrisjen's bodyguard guy. He's there, and serves a plot purpose, but isn't really an independently acting character.

But, I'm quibbling -- you're right. I should be more specific, because I don't hate Alex; I just didn't consider him a main character.

Characters I strongly dislike/hate:
    Holden [Male]
    Amos [Male]
    Diogo [Male]
    Wright [Male]
    Dawes [Male]

Characters I dislike as people but don't necessarily hate:
    Miller [Male]
    Alex [Male]
    Fred Johnson [Male]
    Julie Mao [Female]

Characters I like a bit:
    Naomi [Female]
    Bobby [Female]

Characters I like lots:
    Chrisjen [Female]

Maybe I'm actually sexist. This is decent evidence against me.

Maybe I'm just a terrible person and don't like enough of my fellow humans.
    OhmyGump, you like the biggest (gonna use a word that comes closest to the one I want to use, but not trying to break a rule here) irritable bowel syndrome out of them all the most!
    Alex has the least traumatic past out of everyone you've listed. He's an average Joe, who loves to fly and likes the folk he's with a lot.
    Julie Mao was in far less episodes than Alex has been in!!! Alex has had far more to do than most of the peeps listed!
    My favorite became Amos after I read The Churn, though.

Did you notice that, unlike so many other sci fi series, the captain of our ship is not the toughest (that's Amos), not the smartest (that's Naomi by FAR), not the hot shot pilot (Alex)... it's like he's there to get coffee for everyone and get them into trouble.

Holden is literally there to just be a moralizing, hypocritical blowhard.

But yeah, idk, was trying to hit all the characters I remember forming an opinion about at any point in the series. Abandoned the main character thing.

I feel like there's a good person inside of Amos, somewhere. Maybe someone will dig it out of him over the course of the series.

Holden is literally there to just be a moralizing, hypocritical blowhard.

But yeah, idk, was trying to hit all the characters I remember forming an opinion about at any point in the series. Abandoned the main character thing.

I feel like there's a good person inside of Amos, somewhere. Maybe someone will dig it out of him over the course of the series.
    Notice how in season 1, he followed Naomi blindly, backed her every move? And this season he has been gravitating towards Holden?

WARNING -- do NOT read the below convo unless you are caught up. (as of the episode that aired 12-april-2017; S01E12.

When that nameless muscle man pushed Naomi into the ship instead of taking her place... humanity needs more men like him.

Last edited by The Burninator; 04-13-2017 at 11:54 PM.

When that nameless muscle man pushed Naomi into the ship instead of taking her place... humanity needs more men like him.

Dude, first time I cried over a scifi tv show in ages. He went from 'I'm gonna bash your skull in and force my way in!' to 'Nope, you got things to do. Back on board.' What about when Mao's men drew guns? Chrisjean's man stepped in front of her and Bobbi - Bobbi stepped in front of Chrisjean. They still havent' shown Bobbi go off yet. Wait til she's... um. Never mind.

One more episode left!!!!

Dude, first time I cried over a scifi tv show in ages. He went from 'I'm gonna bash your skull in and force my way in!' to 'Nope, you got things to do. Back on board.' What about when Mao's men drew guns? Chrisjean's man stepped in front of her and Bobbi - Bobbi stepped in front of Chrisjean. They still havent' shown Bobbi go off yet. Wait til she's... um. Never mind.

I almost did when Naomi made her choice. I expected it to end in martyrdom. But that nameless guy made it into something wonderful instead. I have cried over a book recently, but I rarely ever shed a tear.

Next episode is the season finale? Ugh can't wait.

I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but is no one prepared to talk about the season finale yet? I'm quite surprised.

I wanted to but I was last post so couldn't double .

It was really quite excellent. Sap had a thread talking about Dark Matter and I complained that the season finale was too flashy and not believable, but this season finale successfully avoided those pitfalls. It also resolved some of the things that were bothering me about some of the characters.

How long until next season?

Have watched it now.

Much too long til the next season.

Dan, about where in the books is the series? Going to have to catch up now, can't just wait with Bobbie and Chrisjen and oh dear goddesses Naomi all hanging like that.....

Okay, whole post will be in spoiler zone so I don't let anything slip by accident.

For the most part I loved the season finale. Watching the scene where Bobbi and Cotyar put themselves at risk for Chrisjen was awesome. Finding out that Cotyar wasn't a **** and didn't sell out Chrisjen was great (the actor almost always gets slimy badguy roles and I'm glad to see the change). Seeing Bobbi in action with her power armor, albeit with no weapons, was fantastic. Bobbi is powerhouse warrior in or out of the armor, but that armor is like a second skin to her and I've been dying to see her go off in it. Was too brief for me, though.
    The scene with the hybrid monster happened very close to what occurred in the book (we're in book 2 now, not too far from the end, Meherrin). The major bonding moment between Amos and Holden was sweet. Seeing him slowly switch from following Naomi to Holden has been done in some quiet and not so quiet moments, and with this episode, he's now cemented with Holden.
    Chrisjen was awesome. I think she's my favorite character in the show and definitely my fav outside of the crew themselves. For a long time my favorite was Naomi until I read the short story The Churn and Amos moved on up the line a few notches.
    The special visuals of what is going on on Venus was beautifully done, far better than I pictured in my own mind in the book.
    My one and only disappointment with the finale is that they are reserving a major 'thing' to happen until next season. I really wanted to see it happen this season in the finale, but we only got the very beginning of it.
    All in all, I think this was a superior season to the first, and I thought the first season rocked. They take the time to show smaller moments that turn out to be as important as the bigger ones. The different slang language of the Belters is done better on the show than the books, the visual effects are fantastic and the story telling is very well done. The time difference between what is going on with Chrisjen's group and Holden's hasn't been touched, though, and I'm curious how much difference there is at this point.
    I'm just glad that we have a season 3 to be anxiously awaiting to be made and aired. One of the authors of the books, Daniel Abraham, just this week was in the writers' room for the new season.
    I'm about mid-way through the last book, Babylon's Ashes, and another one will be out around Xmas this year!