Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The E><panse

Watching it now. You can just do this:

*SPOILER ALERT*

<Then write whatever you want>

Then the rest of us will know not to read it

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Okay, I cannot just use emoticons and I need to be able to talk in here. How long of a delay should we have to talk about episodes in here before being free to? And I haven't revealed anything about the books that has yet to be revealed (have I??)
    No idea how to use spoiler alert tags, and will forget shortly after someone tells me. Maybe just read posts here and type in my Note application my responses and not post them.
    Did you watch the missed episode yet?
    I already said it. You put "spoiler" around your text. Except instead of " " you use [ ]

For instance: "spoiler" THIS IS A SPOILER! "/spoiler"

Now replace the " " with brackets [ ]

If it's easier [spoiler1]THIS IS A SPOILER![/spoiler1]

Remove the 1 out of the above brackets and it will hide the spoiler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    I already said it. You put "spoiler" around your text. Except instead of " " you use [ ]

For instance: "spoiler" THIS IS A SPOILER! "/spoiler"

Now replace the " " with brackets [ ]

If it's easier [spoiler1]THIS IS A SPOILER![/spoiler1]

Remove the 1 out of the above brackets and it will hide the spoiler.
    [spoiler]:P :P[spoiler]
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

[spoiler]:P :P[spoiler]

Cute.

I'm not very bright.

Spoiler, sshmoiler. Let's talk.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

The shows are getting better and better. I'm looking forward to it as much as I do the new Walking Dead and for me that's saying a lot. So glad they introduced the two female characters earlier than they did in the books. If you saw what is coming up in the very next episode, they 2 are going to meet for the first time!! This is huge.

pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

I agree. This series is being driven by an excellently conceived background world and by a conflict of ideals that is strategically and beautifully executed by well-rounded characters who hold them. I really appreciate the diversity of the casting and the realism of the characters.

I have one burgeoning complaint though -- I really don't like Naomi's Londoner accent. It's so out of place!

Anyway, other likes:
    > The use of the Belter undercommon that has recognizable roots in Italian, English, Latin, and Chinese (that I have noticed so far).
    > The excellent camera work

I'm not liking James Holden when he does his tough guy shtick and tries to make his voice all raspy.

I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    I agree. This series is being driven by an excellently conceived background world and by a conflict of ideals that is strategically and beautifully executed by well-rounded characters who hold them. I really appreciate the diversity of the casting and the realism of the characters.

I have one burgeoning complaint though -- I really don't like Naomi's Londoner accent. It's so out of place!

Anyway, other likes:
    > The use of the Belter undercommon that has recognizable roots in Italian, English, Latin, and Chinese (that I have noticed so far).
    > The excellent camera work

Lmao! Everyone else's accent you like, but the Naomi's you don't! There's also Polish and even Cajun patois. The diversity is awesome. There is still prejudice, but it's planet-based instead of color/gender/religious, or perhaps gravity-based?

I'm not liking James Holden when he does his tough guy shtick and tries to make his voice all raspy.

He needs to take some lessons from Amos. He's downright scary

I don't like his character, but that's not something I dislike about the show! I like shows with characters I don't like, if they're good characters. And Holden is a good character.

EDIT:
    Dan,

I don't usually like accents -- they're either "I can deal with this" or "make it stop." The others are acceptable. Naomi's is approaching "pls stop that" levels .

That Dawes guy has an annoying one, too, but he was around less often. Fewer lines.

I don't like his character, but that's not something I dislike about the show! I like shows with characters I don't like, if they're good characters. And Holden is a good character.

EDIT:
    Dan,

I don't usually like accents -- they're either "I can deal with this" or "make it stop." The others are acceptable. Naomi's is approaching "pls stop that" levels .

That Dawes guy has an annoying one, too, but he was around less often. Fewer lines.

I like Dawes' accent.

Also, get with the program on the spoiler tags. You aren't cool by not using them. A lot of people haven't seen up until the current and knowing Dawes is still a part of the show can be a giveaway. Just use spoilers.

I'm not very bright.

EDIT:
    Dan,

I like her accent :P
    Dawes is played by Jared Harris who has been in a ton of things I love: Madmen, Fringe and now The Expanse. He worked hard on his accent for the show.

With people from all over the system showing up in the Belt, having a character with a strongly identifiable accent from Earth diesn't bother me. The actor's British. I assume that's going to be a part of her backstory as it is unravelled.

Also, I grew up hearing a lot of different British accents on TV. I hardly notice them, to be honest.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Yeah -- her accent is clearly Londoner. I'd guess that's where she's from.

The problem here is with me, not the accents. I just have a thing against them. I'm uncultured, what can I say

@Sap: Don't tell me how to type! I type what I want!

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post

Is there one this week though?

Is there one this week though?
    Yeppers!!!

Excellent. Knowing it's on next year is nice but knowing it's on in 2 days is nicer still

Excellent. Knowing it's on next year is nice but knowing it's on in 2 days is nicer still
    5 episodes left in the season. Last episode title, Caliban's War, is named after the second book in the series.

I'll be PM'ing you when I get around to reading that, Dan.

Well? Did we all catch yesterday's show yet???

Well? Did we all catch yesterday's show yet???
    Nope. Spoiler tags please.
    I'm not very bright.

Watched it this afternoon. Wow. As usual.

I really like shows where the main characters are so detestable, but they pull you because they seem so savable. Like, maybe next decision they won't screw up. It's great.

The meeting of ChrisJenn and Bobby was utterly classic in the books, a monumental moment that was so strong even my faulty memory carried it several books in. I thought they did a stupendous job of displaying it, and I was reminded again that no one else but Shohreh could have possibly done as great a job playing the character as she has. I rewound it twice to watch the scene again and again.
    The lasagna did not look appetizing whatsoever, however.

Yeah the lasagna looked gross. But also, while I did appreciate the actors in that scene, I couldn't stand the camera work. Jesus, hold the camera still and can we please watch out of ONE camera angle for longer than 4 seconds? I can't enjoy the scene if they insist on changing it to a new camera ever half second. All they needed was lens flares to go full JJ Abrams on it.

I guess we're all agreed that the scene which centres on Avasarala questioning Draper is pure gold.

Please, those who have read the books.... Don't tell me too much, but I am growing to like Dr. Meng a lot. Does he become part of the ongoing cast, or is his part in the action just a temporary one?

I guess we're all agreed that the scene which centres on Avasarala questioning Draper is pure gold.

Please, those who have read the books.... Don't tell me too much, but I am growing to like Dr. Meng a lot. Does he become part of the ongoing cast, or is his part in the action just a temporary one?

I'll send you a pm.

Do -- I'm gonna read the books, so let's not ruin them. Wait, Meherrin, are you also gonna read the books?

The portrayal of the good doctor is as if he jumped out of the pages. Casting and direction has been sweet.

Do -- I'm gonna read the books, so let's not ruin them. Wait, Meherrin, are you also gonna read the books?
    Eventually. I have 4 unfinished books to read now, I've committed to giving Sanderson a whirl, the Hugo nomination lists will be coming out before too long which means stuff I will likely have to read before the voting deadline, and there are some books by personal favourite writers that have recently come out or will come out in the next few months. But I will give the Expanse books a whirl at sone point.

I also have several books ahead of these, but I told Dan I'd read them, so I will

"Whoever the **** you are, stand down!" She's always been my favorite.
    I'm not very bright.

"Whoever the **** you are, stand down!" She's always been my favorite.
    Yep. Mine too.

Yep. Mine too.
    Like I said, this was a classic moment in the books and I was excited/anxious about how the show would handle it. It sounds immature, but I am soooo freaking glad scyfy loosened up their rules on swearing. She is actually a far more obscene with her swearing and insults in the books, but I am exquisitely happy with actress and performance.

The ocean was pretty.
    I'm not very bright.

The ocean was pretty.
    It was dirty and disgusting!
    I like chicken!

It was dirty and disgusting!
    I like chicken!
    Pfft, I'd prefer the ocean over that chicken.

I loved how he was eating the can even after, and didn't even wipe it off. lol

I'm not very bright.