Thread: In the Spirit of the Day

Default In the Spirit of the Day

I am not up to sending Cupid-o-grams to everyone in the embassy, so let me simply say that (while I resist the capitalist and heteropatriarchonormative implications of the way this day is treated in popular culture), I wish for everyone much joy today with whomever and whatever they most cherish.

Happy Valentine's day, s1 denizens!
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

You're the best, Meherrin

I move that the spirit of the day is companionship more than romantic love anyway. It was originally a Catholic liturgical holiday, and lemme just say, I can't see anything of that nature being purely about romance of any kind

I generally dislike Valentine's Day. But I hope everyone gets to spend it with the one they love. Not everyone can. I do take a moment to let the one's I care about know.
    Happy Valentine's Day S1. Watch out....Cupid's flying around!
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

According to the first Catholic website containing haigiogra0hic information that I found in a Googlesearch, St. Valentine is the patron saint of "affianced couples, bee keepers, engaged couples, epilepsy, fainting, greetings, happy marriages, love, lovers, plague, travellers, and young people."

I therefore recommend we celebrate the day with references to the career of a certain retired beekeeper living on a small farm on the Sussex Downs.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Meherrin, where were you when I was trying to find things to do for valentine. We could have had fainting bees plaguing young people travelling to find love.

Bees are much better than soppy love hearts and cupid. bzzzz bzzzz sting sting

Quote Originally Posted by meherrin View Post
    according to the first catholic website containing haigiogra0hic information that i found in a googlesearch, st. Valentine is the patron saint of "affianced couples, bee keepers, engaged couples, epilepsy, fainting, greetings, happy marriages, love, lovers, plague, travellers, and young people."

i therefore recommend we celebrate the day with references to the career of a certain retired beekeeper living on a small farm on the sussex downs.
    Yessssss!!!!!!!

And to you, Meherrin <3
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

Happy Valentine's day, Meherrin.

And to all of us1: I hope you all feel loved and share love today!
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

"Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

In the spirit of the day, I am out traveling with work.

And have had no time to get anything.

Couldn't find flowers at the airport and so I grabbed a beer.

And as I was sitting there the bloke behind the bar said that they were closing.

So I grabbed the happy Valentine's balloons that they had as decorations. He said that "as long as he didn't see it" it was fine. Lol

I farmed a present?

Quote Originally Posted by kurtz View Post
    in the spirit of the day, i am out traveling with work.

And have had no time to get anything.

Couldn't find flowers at the airport and so i grabbed a beer.

And as i was sitting there the bloke behind the bar said that they were closing.

So i grabbed the happy valentine's balloons that they had as decorations. He said that "as long as he didn't see it" it was fine. Lol

i farmed a present?
    lol!
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post
    lol!
    And then they burst whilst boarding.... which would have been less good, but OK in a way.

And then they said that I couldn't have them on the plane cause the helium might pop.

At which point I gave up. Bugger it all!

Besides, I didn't end up getting home until 2 mins past midnight, so you know... missed it anyway.

Not that I really care about the day, but I thought I'd make an effort. Why the hell not eh?

Costs nothing to make an effort. Literally in this case.

**** Valentine's Day. Literally and figuratively.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    It isn't very big here. Which is really rather nice. In the UK, it is a horrible monstrosity and I'm betting it is even worse in the US. I'm going to choose not to believe that it is as bad as TV makes it out to be however.

Kind of a cosy thing here rather than anything else. The shops do keep trying, but no one really cares all that much. So it gets toned down in the end.

But why not celebrate the saint days? Christmas is just saint Nick. And a lot of countries have their patron saints. Norway celebrates 2 saints. Not that we get time off or anything like that, but there are bonfires every Saint Hans day and processions of little girls wearing white and carrying candles every Santa Lucia day.

As anyone that knows me even slightly knows, I'm not religious, but I have nothing against traditions. And having had a very international upbringing, Saint Valentine's day is just one of those things that you kind of do. But as mentioned, when I saw how horrible it was in the UK... yeah... I do get why people hate it.

Also, isn't Saint Christopher the real travellers' saint? I went to St. Christopher's school in Bahrain and I distinctly remember that he was chosen due to you know the expat community.

It's the thought that counts in the end. Showing affection to someone you care about. Include almost the entire details of your story. You'll get brownie points!

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    You didn't like my Valentine?
    Last edited by Cisalpine; 02-15-2017 at 12:22 AM.