Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the Spirit of the Day

Default In the Spirit of the Day

I am not up to sending Cupid-o-grams to everyone in the embassy, so let me simply say that (while I resist the capitalist and heteropatriarchonormative implications of the way this day is treated in popular culture), I wish for everyone much joy today with whomever and whatever they most cherish.

Happy Valentine's day, s1 denizens!
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

You're the best, Meherrin

I move that the spirit of the day is companionship more than romantic love anyway. It was originally a Catholic liturgical holiday, and lemme just say, I can't see anything of that nature being purely about romance of any kind
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

I generally dislike Valentine's Day. But I hope everyone gets to spend it with the one they love. Not everyone can. I do take a moment to let the one's I care about know.
    Happy Valentine's Day S1. Watch out....Cupid's flying around!
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

According to the first Catholic website containing haigiogra0hic information that I found in a Googlesearch, St. Valentine is the patron saint of "affianced couples, bee keepers, engaged couples, epilepsy, fainting, greetings, happy marriages, love, lovers, plague, travellers, and young people."

I therefore recommend we celebrate the day with references to the career of a certain retired beekeeper living on a small farm on the Sussex Downs.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Meherrin, where were you when I was trying to find things to do for valentine. We could have had fainting bees plaguing young people travelling to find love.

Bees are much better than soppy love hearts and cupid. bzzzz bzzzz sting sting

Quote Originally Posted by meherrin View Post
    according to the first catholic website containing haigiogra0hic information that i found in a googlesearch, st. Valentine is the patron saint of "affianced couples, bee keepers, engaged couples, epilepsy, fainting, greetings, happy marriages, love, lovers, plague, travellers, and young people."

i therefore recommend we celebrate the day with references to the career of a certain retired beekeeper living on a small farm on the sussex downs.
    Yessssss!!!!!!!
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

And to you, Meherrin <3
    Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts, as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, to absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings.

Happy Valentine's day, Meherrin.

And to all of us1: I hope you all feel loved and share love today!
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

"Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

In the spirit of the day, I am out traveling with work.

And have had no time to get anything.

Couldn't find flowers at the airport and so I grabbed a beer.

And as I was sitting there the bloke behind the bar said that they were closing.

So I grabbed the happy Valentine's balloons that they had as decorations. He said that "as long as he didn't see it" it was fine. Lol

I farmed a present?

Quote Originally Posted by kurtz View Post
    in the spirit of the day, i am out traveling with work.

And have had no time to get anything.

Couldn't find flowers at the airport and so i grabbed a beer.

And as i was sitting there the bloke behind the bar said that they were closing.

So i grabbed the happy valentine's balloons that they had as decorations. He said that "as long as he didn't see it" it was fine. Lol

i farmed a present?
    lol!
    Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts, as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, to absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings.