Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 416

Thread: Substantive Discussions

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bane View Post
    For real. You two should dual.
    I'd actually be very open to that idea. Panda is great!

  2. #42

    Default

    I think anvils are kind of unappreciated as far as the game itself is concerned. For example, look at how the deff points are assigned. You can throw your entire anvil, possibly losing most of your troops to save another player and the game awards you with exactly 0 points. Sure, the people who got attacked know you reined them, and the players involved will likely appreciate your efforts, but as far as official recognition goes, the game gives credit to the wrong people.

    At least that's what I think. What are your thoughts? (addressing everyone here)

  3. #43
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,687

    Default

    There was a suggestion some years back that anvils get D points which are split on a pro-rated basis, kind of like a more complicated version of how hero EXP is divided (e.g. player 1 reins with 100 phalanx, player 2 75, account owner 25, so 1 gets 50% of the D points, 2, 3/8ths, owner 1/8th). I think it was popular (though somewhat torn up by pedants) but for whatever reason it never took on with HQ.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  4. #44

    Meherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a universe of my own design
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by banzai130 View Post
    I think anvils are kind of unappreciated as far as the game itself is concerned. For example, look at how the deff points are assigned. You can throw your entire anvil, possibly losing most of your troops to save another player and the game awards you with exactly 0 points. Sure, the people who got attacked know you reined them, and the players involved will likely appreciate your efforts, but as far as official recognition goes, the game gives credit to the wrong people.

    At least that's what I think. What are your thoughts? (addressing everyone here)
    The game definitely gives no respect to anvils.

    I've often thought the measure of a good alliance - or one of the measures, anyway, is how it regards its anvils. Hammers get a lot of glory, but anvils save hammer's butts tine and time again.

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by banzai130 View Post
    I think anvils are kind of unappreciated as far as the game itself is concerned. ..., the game gives credit to the wrong people.
    I think you are being quite modest in the way you point this out, but agree.
    What can be broken, must be broken.

  6. #46
    Consul The Burninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Great Garden State
    Posts
    8,613

    Default

    lol Gauls as hammers.

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    anvils save hammer's butts tine and time again.
    Even when you are not actually saving our butt, you allow us to sleep and focus on the destruction. Anvil's are our heroes If we didn't have Laura cracking a monster anvil and flower-Cis making sure I am protected, I would cry.

    Heck, last round the only reason I was able to make end EGH from the grey was because of the constant anvil help; special thanks to Ms Piggy's anvil in the grey and of course Greg-Murdok absolutely destroying anybody who even slightly annoyed my account.

  8. #48

    Default

    Any veteran knows the TRUe value of anvils.

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by banzai130 View Post
    I think anvils are kind of unappreciated as far as the game itself is concerned.
    I agree. It's like American football. Wide Receivers get the glory but a shut down corner or a good line makes all the difference in the world.

  10. #50
    Artisan Pile of Pandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the pile
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by banzai130 View Post
    I think anvils are kind of unappreciated as far as the game itself is concerned. For example, look at how the deff points are assigned. You can throw your entire anvil, possibly losing most of your troops to save another player and the game awards you with exactly 0 points. Sure, the people who got attacked know you reined them, and the players involved will likely appreciate your efforts, but as far as official recognition goes, the game gives credit to the wrong people.

    At least that's what I think. What are your thoughts? (addressing everyone here)
    Agreed 100%. I've seen some place the green ribbon and then give credit to the anvils on their profile. It's not enough, but the best we can do as hammers.
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

  11. #51
    Artisan Pile of Pandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the pile
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsier View Post
    Any veteran knows the TRUe value of anvils.
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

  12. #52
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post
    Let us put down our poo flingers and have some real game mechanic, strategic discussions.

    My thread, my rules

    No GONE, Luisss, BTDT bashing. Let's keep things civil and debate respectfully. Using game examples is fine, but I'd rather you use past server examples if possible.

    Some topics for consideration:

    1) The appeal of a natar win (or refutal)

    2) Does the use of spies reduce the magnitude of a server win, especially if the other side does not employ them?

    3) What do you think makes a strong leader? Which attribute is most important if you had to rank them? Take action personality, diplomatic/smooth talker, analytical, prowess, planner, ....anything else you can think of.

    4) Mace hammer vs axes

    5) Gauls as Hammers

    6) TTs vs Haeds in hammer
    1) I think that a natar win, while interesting in its first round, is not the way the game should be played. When you join a game of basketball, the rules of how to win remain the same. The goal is to have the most points to win by the end of the game, and so players or groups of players deciding to change the goal posts and say that whoever scores the most 3s or has the most slam dunks is the real winner, well, that does'nt jive IMO. I think those who prefer a natar win should lobby HQ to create a special server just for destroying stuff if that is all they are interested in. I think I heard RoA is like this?

    2) I do not think spies lessen a WW win in any way, but I do think that being an accomplice to deception is something that takes far too much effort. I'm happy to say that GONE has never sought spies in BTDT, and the one person who did reach out to us was offered tobe brought into a GONE account if they did not want to be in BTDT any longer.

    3) I think keeping your word to your members, always being available and understanding with them, and leading by example are some of the best attributes of a good leader. Self-reflection is also key - every person can only do so much. Allowing people to do one thing well and learning to delegate works wonders (no pun intended).

    4. If wheat is not a problem, mace. If it is, axes.

    5. Gauls work as hammers, but they work much better as anvils. Respect to those who do both.

    6. Haeds in every hammer, even ghost hammers due to smithy changes!
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  13. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post

    Some topics for consideration:

    1) The appeal of a natar win (or refutal)

    2) Does the use of spies reduce the magnitude of a server win, especially if the other side does not employ them?

    3) What do you think makes a strong leader? Which attribute is most important if you had to rank them? Take action personality, diplomatic/smooth talker, analytical, prowess, planner, ....anything else you can think of.

    4) Mace hammer vs axes

    5) Gauls as Hammers

    6) TTs vs Haeds in hammer
    My personal thoughts..

    1) No real appeal toward the Natars, just a desire to crush things, and NOT be beholden to building one ourselves..

    2) I never purposely employ spies, I just do not look through the mouth of a gifted horse..

    3) All of the above, there isn't one attribute that is "most important".. There are attributes I like more than others, but that will change with each individuals' personalities.. So there is no "one size fits all" answer here..

    4) Mace, because I like to kill my troops over and over and they rebuild cheaper/faster..

    5) Decent as a "hammer" but phenomenal as a ghost(not to mention as a raid account)..

    6) Haeds, as a "hammer", TT for a "ghost".. Haeds also make excellent defense for sniping, especially sniping a ghost..

    7) Where's the love for Roman troops ??
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

  14. #54
    Artisan Pile of Pandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the pile
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odinloki View Post

    7) Where's the love for Roman troops ??
    I left Romans off because we had just had that Lego discussion in the other thread. I'm by no means the only one that can come up with topics, however. Throw your thoughts on the table
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

  15. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CM M.Hudson View Post
    Lord Bane has special powers as an ambassador
    /me is still waiting for his teal upgrade..

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAnse View Post
    I'm a jerk for things I say in the chat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    Anvil's are our heroes If we didn't have Laura cracking a monster anvil and flower-Cis making sure I am protected, I would cry..
    ^^ This.. Even given the old adage that I am a huge fan of, that "The best defense is a good offense", without our anvils, no team stands a chance.. They are truly the heart of a well oiled machine.. Some are just more lubricated than others..

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    in the grey and of course Greg-Murdok absolutely destroying anybody who even slightly annoyed my account.
    I wish I really had the time to commit to this server like I did then.. lol So much fun times..


    Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post
    I left Romans off because we had just had that Lego discussion in the other thread. I'm by no means the only one that can come up with topics, however. Throw your thoughts on the table
    Romans are just a vastly superior tribe hands down.. Even the offense makes awesome defense.. Yeah they're costly, but they pay off two-fold over most other tribes.. IMO..
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

  16. #56
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    1) I think that a natar win, while interesting in its first round, is not the way the game should be played. When you join a game of basketball, the rules of how to win remain the same. The goal is to have the most points to win by the end of the game, and so players or groups of players deciding to change the goal posts and say that whoever scores the most 3s or has the most slam dunks is the real winner, well, that does'nt jive IMO. I think those who prefer a natar win should lobby HQ to create a special server just for destroying stuff if that is all they are interested in. I think I heard RoA is like this?
    This is just hilariously whiny. You cannot compare a basketball game to a WW. If for no other reason than that you can't do anything remotely like this.

    And it isn't easy. It take a lot more skill to be able to pull off a Natar win than it does to build a sandcastle. Even to 100. That was why I, personally, did it. Was sick of WW wheat and rein calls and the very idea that endgame can still be a challenge was much more attractive than that.

    But I don't really expect you to understand how not taking the easy option makes things more fun. You've always been a huggler after all.

  17. #57
    Senator Cisalpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunshine state
    Posts
    3,506

    Default

    In keeping with the OP's request, I with skip this thread (other than this bone most) due to the blatant lie I just read. If I call out that blatant lie, it with deemed as picking on someone.
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired


    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

  18. #58
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    You cannot compare a basketball game to a WW.
    Why not?

    (Hi Kurtz, welcome back? How are you?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    And it isn't easy. It take a lot more skill to be able to pull off a Natar win than it does to build a sandcastle. Even to 100. That was why I, personally, did it. Was sick of WW wheat and rein calls and the very idea that endgame can still be a challenge was much more attractive than that.
    I don't think forcing a natar win is easy, but I don't think the difficulty is much different than building a WW to 100. Each goal has its own set of challenges, but forcing a natar win, at the end of the day, is just about how many times you can successfully knock down the frontrunner(s) WW.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    But I don't really expect you to understand how not taking the easy option makes things more fun.
    You think building a WW is easy?
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  19. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    You think building a WW is easy?
    Are you sincerely saying that forcing a natar win is not a lot tougher than a WW win??? Really??

  20. #60
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    Are you sincerely saying that forcing a natar win is not a lot tougher than a WW win??? Really??
    I think, as I mentioned above, both have their difficulties and a different set of obstacles to tackle on the path toward their objective. What makes you think a natar win is tougher to accomplish?
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  21. #61
    Senator Cisalpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sunshine state
    Posts
    3,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    You think building a WW is easy?
    Yes, it's easier than forcing a natar win. I've done both. Have you? Until you have, you can't say, you can only assume. . And so ends THAT discussion.
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired


    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

  22. #62
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cisalpine View Post
    Yes, it's easier than forcing a natar win. I've done both. Have you? Until you have, you can't say, you can only assume. . And so ends THAT discussion.
    I do not think you need to personally experience something in order to understand it.

    As I asked VM, what makes you think a natar win is more difficult than building a WW?
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  23. #63

    Default

    There is nothing tricky or unknown about a WW win. Teams have gone past artifacts and only then planned a WW win and still accomplished this goal. For eg, on us4, our team was mostly just playing around and nobody even mentioned a WW win until well into the server. The opposite team was going for a WW win from the start. Our WW is now level 82, theirs is 2.

    The strategy as we have previously discussed is easy. Clear a WW, get a strength artifact, then put some feeders/D. Nothing tough about it. It is so common place and straight forward, that even the debate for which tribe is best to hold the WW village has ended (Teutons).

    I would ask you, what is actually tough strategically about building a WW?

  24. #64
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,872

    Default

    Forcing a Natar win is harder. If you do not understand why perhaps you should think a little.

  25. #65
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    There is nothing tricky or unknown about a WW win. Teams have gone past artifacts and only then planned a WW win and still accomplished this goal. For eg, on us4, our team was mostly just playing around and nobody even mentioned a WW win until well into the server. The opposite team was going for a WW win from the start. Our WW is now level 82, theirs is 2.

    The strategy as we have previously discussed is easy. Clear a WW, get a strength artifact, then put some feeders/D. Nothing tough about it. It is so common place and straight forward, that even the debate for which tribe is best to hold the WW village has ended (Teutons).

    I would ask you, what is actually tough strategically about building a WW?
    I think, as you mentioned, the strategy is pretty straightforward. On that we agree. I think what you're discounting is how tough that coordination actually is. Coordinating feeders, creating the trade routes, defending the priorities (capitals, hammers, artifacts, plans, and the WW itself) - these all, while being straightforward, still take a lot of time to coordinate, and even more time to coordinate well.

    On the other hand, to force a natar win - while you certainly need to defend objectives, I would think it ultimately comes down to how many times you can knock down the enemy WW, which requires many, many hammers. That strategy is also pretty straightforward. What, logistically, do you think makes a natar win substantially more difficult than coordinating everything necessary for a successful WW bid?
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  26. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    Teams have gone past artifacts and only then planned a WW win and still accomplished this goal. For eg, on us4, our team was mostly just playing around and nobody even mentioned a WW win until well into the server.
    Same happened with some of us on s2 in T~A.. Bugzy and myself were there with just a couple other accounts, just like how we started here on s1, but over there we were content to be offense support for Tom and his crew.. Later in game(past arties) he turned on us and attacked us, so we decided to build our own WW and win.. It was just that easy..
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

  27. #67
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I think, as you mentioned, the strategy is pretty straightforward. On that we agree. I think what you're discounting is how tough that coordination actually is. Coordinating feeders, creating the trade routes, defending the priorities (capitals, hammers, artifacts, plans, and the WW itself) - these all, while being straightforward, still take a lot of time to coordinate, and even more time to coordinate well.

    On the other hand, to force a natar win - while you certainly need to defend objectives, I would think it ultimately comes down to how many times you can knock down the enemy WW, which requires many, many hammers. That strategy is also pretty straightforward. What, logistically, do you think makes a natar win substantially more difficult than coordinating everything necessary for a successful WW bid?
    Thinking is not your strong suit is it?

  28. #68

    Default

    For a ww win you just build the thing to 100. For a Natar win you have to stop anyone from building it to 100 until the Natars start to build theirs. I'm not sure how you consider "coordinating" sending resources to a WW difficult. The WW holder has to be active, that's pretty much all it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

  29. #69
    Artisan Pile of Pandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the pile
    Posts
    617

    Default

    We just can't get past the bashing, can we?

    I'm done with this thread.
    US1:R3 Alliteration -oNE R10 Twist of Fate -GONE
    US3: R10 Buccaneers - TBN (dual)
    US4: R2 Eris ABT-PANTLESS R3 Fluffy MORON R4 ThePanda MORON R8 Leep
    US5: R2 Susugam - ROBR R3 Twist of Fate - NEWD

  30. #70
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post
    We just can't get past the bashing, can we?

    I'm done with this thread.
    As long you indulge them, they won't stop. The more you try to justify yourself, the more material they get to bash you down. Instead of fighting it out in the forums, prove it to them in game. And if you lose, come on the forums and take it like a man. You did what you could to the best of your ability. Nothing to be ashamed about in that. Come back next round and prove them wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  31. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post
    We just can't get past the bashing, can we?

    I'm done with this thread.
    Who was bashing? Other than the 2 Kurtz posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

  32. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post
    We just can't get past the bashing, can we?

    I'm done with this thread.
    I think we had a reasonable discussion going first few pages, shame to see it go.

    At this point I'm considering creating a special backlash thread. If a virus can't be terminated, the only other option left is containment.

  33. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    What, logistically, do you think makes a natar win substantially more difficult than coordinating everything necessary for a successful WW bid?
    I think you are getting confused by two separate points. I never said a WW win is easy - just it is a lot easier than a natar win. Anything can be argued to be "tough". Building a second village might be tough for somebody playing the game for the first time, but it generally is considered pretty straight forward. We have now posted a current server where a team should be able to pull off a WW half way through the server, and Greg shared an example from a prior server. Has anybody been able to pull off a natar win by just randomly deciding to do it half way through the server?

    For example, BTDT could easily decide tomorrow to build a WW and even without my personal bias, I think most people would agree that BTDT would be the favourites to win, or at the very least it would be a coin flip. If in return, your team decided to try for a natar win, you would have no chance of pulling it off.

    Also, even your own post even gave a hint to why it would be tougher. We have to plan to knock down the WW multiple times, which involves building an EGH hammer (lets avoid the discussion about how many troops it takes and just state a lot + siege). That alone is much tougher to do than just building a feeder village, setting trade routes, and sending D troops once a day to a WW.

    I do think this issue is done though, it seems unlikely you would change your mind, and we clearly find building a WW pretty easy (and boring).

  34. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pile of Pandas View Post
    We just can't get past the bashing, can we?
    You represented GONE well here with your efforts to bring positive energy and value in your own way to the US1 forums. Out of respect I will post a few personal remarks:

    1) I don't find it that appealing, but it has nothing to do with comparison in difficulty.

    2) If the benefit extends onto the battlefield, then yes. To expand on this a little further...

    In the ancient craft of Travian espionage, a small portion of those that view it as a power and art form will seek to obtain what you might hear referred to as "god mode". In common gaming slang it can mean you have hacked into the system and given yourself invincibility and unlimited ammunition or removed limitations so a player can walk through walls or defy gravity. However, to a very slim crowd this will dive into a darker world where god mode is more about the subliminal ability to control one's enemy by infiltration of their mind. That takes quite a bit of dedication and set of skills to do on noteworthy levels. But as far as using chat logs and account info to leverage power during warefare, it is an advantage that makes it easier to achieve success. It doesn't take away the win, but it is the only "hollow" victory in Travian.

    3) I enjoy this question on many levels and would be happy to chat more in private if it interests you.

    4) Mace for artifacts, midgame quad wars, oases, and throw away strikes. For egh, axes in barracks and mace in GB. If you "dont have the wheat" for mace then you shouldn't build an egh IMO. you can have way more fun with teutons using double working hammers all server long and in that case mace will do just fine due to cost and time for replacement. they are pound for pound a great attacker.

    5) Gaul rams are pointless but you can build catapults and a sweet ghost hammer. Sport hunt for enemy siege and followup carpet bomb in tandem ops with a good teuton ram hammer. As a bonus you could use Haed as cavalry defense in a pinch but I don't recommend building huge amounts of Haeds for stationary D if you are in an alliance or have any friends on the server whatsoever.

    6) Why not both? If you are active then raid with TTs and collect them like they stop making them. Build Haeds in your cata hammer or as a separate ghost hammer all together and don't use them for anything that doesn't potentially harm your active enemies. Depending on the variables you can choose power or speed if you build both.
    What can be broken, must be broken.

  35. #75

    Default

    Did you just compare a God mode cheat to spies? What are you guys going to complain about next? A dual account is cheating, and every account should be 1 player? It is unfair to launch attacks when somebody is asleep, lets all send IGMs to each other and only when everybody agrees that all parties are online before attacks? How about gold? That is a clear unfair advantage to people who use it compared to others? And even then, somebody who has more of it has a bigger advantage than somebody who has none? I do not buy gold, so I demand GONE stop using it at once!!! It is unfair to me that you guys are buying it.

    Not to mention, I already called GONE out for trying to use spies themselves. So at least we can now categorize any victory they pull off as "hollow"

    Somebody come up with a new topic before another GONE member comes on to complain about spies.
    Last edited by Vicious_Machine; 02-06-2017 at 05:28 PM.

  36. #76
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    For a ww win you just build the thing to 100. For a Natar win you have to stop anyone from building it to 100 until the Natars start to build theirs. I'm not sure how you consider "coordinating" sending resources to a WW difficult. The WW holder has to be active, that's pretty much all it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    I think you are getting confused by two separate points. I never said a WW win is easy - just it is a lot easier than a natar win. Anything can be argued to be "tough". Building a second village might be tough for somebody playing the game for the first time, but it generally is considered pretty straight forward. We have now posted a current server where a team should be able to pull off a WW half way through the server, and Greg shared an example from a prior server. Has anybody been able to pull off a natar win by just randomly deciding to do it half way through the server?

    For example, BTDT could easily decide tomorrow to build a WW and even without my personal bias, I think most people would agree that BTDT would be the favourites to win, or at the very least it would be a coin flip. If in return, your team decided to try for a natar win, you would have no chance of pulling it off.

    Also, even your own post even gave a hint to why it would be tougher. We have to plan to knock down the WW multiple times, which involves building an EGH hammer (lets avoid the discussion about how many troops it takes and just state a lot + siege). That alone is much tougher to do than just building a feeder village, setting trade routes, and sending D troops once a day to a WW.

    I do think this issue is done though, it seems unlikely you would change your mind, and we clearly find building a WW pretty easy (and boring).
    You both touched on a few things. I'll try to adress each of them.

    This is, of course, my opinion, but as I see it, it boils down to these points:

    1. Both WW-focused teams and natar win teams must coordinate hammer building, defense of artifacts/capitals, artifact coordination, and of course offense coordination.

    2. WW focused teams have the added burden of feeder coordination, plans defending, and of needing to maintain a strength arti given low server populations.

    For this server in specific, there is only one team going for a WW - as a result, I dont think the argument that natar teams have to fight on multiple fronts applies much here. So with the above in mind, why is going for a natar win more difficult?

    And if you disagree with one my points above, which one and why?
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  37. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    You both touched on a few things. I'll try to adress each of them.

    This is, of course, my opinion, but as I see it, it boils down to these points:

    1. Both WW-focused teams and natar win teams must coordinate hammer building, defense of artifacts/capitals, artifact coordination, and of course offense coordination.

    2. WW focused teams have the added burden of feeder coordination, plans defending, and of needing to maintain a strength arti given low server populations.

    For this server in specific, there is only one team going for a WW - as a result, I dont think the argument that natar teams have to fight on multiple fronts applies much here. So with the above in mind, why is going for a natar win more difficult?

    And if you disagree with one my points above, which one and why?
    This server is unique because it is a you vs me type moreso than any other server I've played, but I'd still say the Natar win is harder just because of the sheer amount of time you have to last and continue building to achieve the Natar win. Yes we have a few more ways of achieving it, plan stealing, ww kills etc. but it still takes 100(?) days just to START the Natar WW.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

  38. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    Did you just compare a God mode cheat to spies?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    What are you guys going to complain about next?
    I can only speak for myself and I have not been complaining.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    A dual account is cheating, and every account should be 1 player?
    I would find that to be a travesty. The most magical Teuton account I have ever played along side was a trial.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    It is unfair to launch attacks when somebody is asleep, lets all send IGMs to each other and only when everybody agrees that all parties are online before attacks?
    That sounds difficult to coordinate, but potentially a lot of fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    How about gold? That is a clear unfair advantage to people who use it compared to others?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    And even then, somebody who has more of it has a bigger advantage than somebody who has none?
    Gold is an advantage to non gold users. Having more gold than someone else with gold is not a direct comparison over advantage that can be made with more variables defined.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    I do not buy gold, so I demand GONE stop using it at once!!!
    Your demand has been denied.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    It is unfair to me that you guys are buying it.
    Travian has certain similarities to life and the concept of fairness is one of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    Not to mention, I already called GONE out for trying to use spies themselves.
    GONE has not approved of anything that has been brought to surface. If you have found a particular person making decisions on their own then it needs to be labeled as such or you reveal yourself to be in a place of misunderstanding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    So at least we can now categorize any victory they pull off as "hollow"
    If you post evidence of any success GONE has had as a result of stolen information then those victories can be brought into question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious_Machine View Post
    Somebody come up with a new topic before another GONE member comes on to complain about spies.
    I quoted my teammate in my reply to her thread specifically to show that I was not looking to bash or complain about any idea, person or group in my reply.
    What can be broken, must be broken.

  39. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nichmanic View Post


    Travian has certain similarities to life and the concept of fairness is one of them.
    LOL!!! 100% true, no_no fairness in life or in travian.......

    Quote Originally Posted by nichmanic View Post
    GONE has not approved of anything that has been brought to surface. If you have found a particular person making decisions on their own then it needs to be labeled as such or you reveal yourself to be in a place of misunderstanding.


    If you post evidence of any success GONE has had as a result of stolen information then those victories can be brought into question.
    Can information be considered stolen when it is outright just given to people???????
    Usx: crybaby or S.I.M.P. when I play.
    US1: no_no
    US2: crybaby

  40. #80
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjpackrats View Post
    LOL!!! 100% true, no_no fairness in life or in travian.......



    Can information be considered stolen when it is outright just given to people???????
    Someone stole it.

    Also, VM, Enya denies your claim about trying to spy outright. Says he never spoke to Cis privately.
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •