Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Bands (Mafia Game Thread)

Default Battle of the Bands (Mafia Game Thread)

Roles are all out.

You quit your job -- they screwed you around. Whatever you do, don't start a band... Don't start a band... Don't start a baaaand!

Hello there ladies, gentlemen, and mbstokem.

Welcome to this year's Battle of the Bands.

You are all professionals, but you cannot all receive the trophy for "Best Band Member 2016" (TM) (R) (C) (The Burninator Inc., 2016)! As such, you will all compete by submitting your best musicalness for the review of the group, and each day, one of you will be removed from the running. It's like a game show, but with serious stakes. After all, what game show has as prestigious a prize as the trophy for "Best Band Member 2016" (TM) (R) (C) (The Burninator Inc., 2016)?

There are rumors afoot that some of the metalheads amongst you have formed a coalition to win this competition for themselves. Such behavior shall not be tolerated. After all, everyone knows rock is about following all the rules and being well-understood and well-adjusted to society.

So, let the Battle of the Bands begin, and may the best band win. (Unless I don't like them. In that case, this competition is rigged. The media is conspiring with The Burninator to rig the results, I tell you.)

Round Details
    Important Info
    > Vote and role deadline: 9PM Eastern. (I intend to have the KP up by 9:30PM each night. First KP is SATURDAY evening.)
    > Please glance over the rules.

Round Rules
    > Closed comms. (No outside communication about Mafia unless specified by your role.) (Mafia members may speak to one another.)
    > No hard roleclaiming. (You may not directly claim your role. You are, of course, allowed to hint as hard as you'd like, and soft claim as hard as you'd like.)
    > Bold your votes, and NAME YOUR UNVOTES. (If you unvote, you must post "Unvote: <name of person you are unvoting>", or I will not count the unvote.)
    > Play to win. (If you're voting consistently for people just cause you don't like them, that's not playing to win. At least come up with a relevant, Mafia reason for your vote, unless of course it's RVS.)
    > No Lynch is allowed only on Night 1.
    > The dead may haunt the thread, but please do not try to influence the outcome of the round.
    > RBs will not appear on the KP.
    > If you edit a post, I will count it as a vote against you. Don't edit your posts. Just double post.
    > Further information for new players is available in this spoiler.

Standard abbreviations / lingo:
    "EBWOP" = "edit by way of post" -- you can lead off a double post like this since you can't edit your first.
    "LYLO" = "Lynch or Lose" -- refers to the point in the game where the town must lynch a mafia member or loses the game.
    "NL" = "No Lynch"
    "KP" = Kill Post; host post that moves the game along to the next day.
    "RVS" = "Random voting stage" ie. when someone has to get lynched, but there isn't really any reason to pick any player over any other player.
    "Scum" = "mafia." Saying "so and so seems scummy" is "so and so sounds like they're mafia."

Possible Roles
    Rockers
    Win condition: eliminate the Metalheads, and The Alternative must not have achieved its win condition.

David Bowie -- If lynched, the first person to have voted Bowie will die in the KP (even if they later unvoted).
    John Lennon -- Vote breaks ties. (If there is a tied vote, Lennon's considerable backing will swing the vote against whoever he voted for.)
    Limo Driver -- swaps what happens to 2 rock Stars that night.
    Jim Morrison -- May invite 1 player to go out drinking with him that night. And no one can keep up with Mr. Mojo. [Roleblocks] [This role may have further undisclosed effects]
    Carlos Santana -- guitar riffs so enticing, they can turn a man's soul from evil. [Doctor. This role may have other undisclosed effects.]
    Sting -- Every move you make, every breath you take, he'll be watching you. Knows who you have targeted that night. [Tracker.]
    Jefferson Airplane -- May ferret out the specific role of a targeted player. (Professional detective.)
    Jefferson Starship -- Told that they are Jefferson Airplane, but will instead always be told that the player they targeted is some random role.
    Groupie -- no special role.

The Alternatives
    Win condition: Eliminate the Metalheads, and outnumber the Rockers.

Kurt Cobain -- The Alternative. Each night, he may attempt to convert another musician or band to the alternative scene. Success grants the ability of the converted players to communicate with any other member of the Alternative outside the game thread (like if they were mafia). However, if Kurt attempts to convert one of the Metalheads or Kanye West, he will die instead. [Effects of being converted: (1) lose your role, (2) the first two converts will obtain new roles, as listed as the next two roles under this faction.]
    Chris Cornell -- Each night, he may either (1) remove a band from the game [vigilante] or (2) select 2 bands and be told whether they have the same alignment.
    Neil Young -- (Role special will be revealed if the role comes into play.)
    Emo Groupie -- No special role.

Independents
    Win condition: Each independent has their own win condition.

Aaron Copland -- doesn't give two craps about what happens in the world of rock, since classical music is the best. Win Condition: Is living at the end of the game.
    Mama Cass Elliot -- Automatically loses the game. However, whoever is playing Cass may guess the role of another player. If they guess correctly, they swap roles and become immune to becoming Cass again. One guess per night, by PM to host. Win Condition: None. Cannot win.
    Kanye West -- May remove a rock band from the battle of the bands every other night. Win Condition: Must be among the last 2 standing bands, or stand alone.
    Jake -- Knows the identity of Elwood. [Will die with Elwood if Elwood dies.] Win condition: Elwood is alive at game end.

Metalheads
    Win condition: Must have a membership that consists in 50% or greater of surviving bands.

Elwood -- Knows the identity of Jake. [Will die with Jake if Jake dies.] Win condition modification: does not win with the rest of the Metalheads if Jake dies.
    Ozzy Osbourne -- Selects the target for elimination from the battle of the bands each night, and which band will do the eliminating. [Kills done directly by Ozzy are delayed a KP.]
    Jack Black -- May challenge another player to a rock-off. [Roleblocks. This role may have other undisclosed effects.]
    Drug Dealer -- Often reduces rock stars to gibbering madmen. [If targeted by the Dealer, the player may only post his/her vote as well as gibberish during the day. "Far out dude," "this party is on point," or similar will also be allowed.]
    George Thorogood -- This cat is b-b-b-b-bad to the bone, and if he gets to you, you'll be that way, too. If he is sent to eliminate another band, the elimination will be delayed by a KP.

Bands Remaining (2/13)
    Rockers and Aaron Copland win!
    Deadpool Ramone -- Was the Limo Driver.
    Montana Jagger -- Was Chris Cornell. (Originally Jefferson Airplane)
    SC Mercury -- was Ozzy Osbourne.
    Kerzi Springsteen
    Modest Mousekeyboard -- Was Kurt Cobain.
    Valynor Benatar -- Was John Lennon.
    Eric Clapsputin -- was Mama Cass Elliot. (Originally Sting)
    School of Rok -- Was Jim Morrison.
    Carni Evil 9 -- was Sting. (Originally Aaron Copland.)
    Blazin' Hot Chili Peppers -- was Carlos Santana.
    Emerson, Lake, and Schmumpus -- Was Aaron Copland. (Originally Mama Cass Elliot.)
    Luissss Clearwater Revival -- was Jack Black.
    Fountains of Gebne -- Was Jefferson Starship.

KPs:
    Warning: Some actions will not appear on the KP, such as roleblocks, which are hidden. There are others.
    KP #1
    KP #2
    KP #3
    KP #4
    KP#5
    KP #6

The full list of winners is as follows:
    Flossie -- Indy win as Aaron Copland. (Was originally Mama Cass Elliot)
    Rokchik -- was Jim Morrison
    Mod Deadpool -- Was the Limo Driver
    Gebne -- Was Jefferson Starship
    The blazin1 -- Was Carlos Santana
    Valynor -- Was John Lennon
    Carni -- Was Sting. (Originally Aaron Copland)
    See the final KP for further stuff that happened this round.
    Last edited by The Burninator; 11-11-2016 at 01:57 AM.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

The country with the world's longest official name

Vote: Scarecrow
    Reason:
    To put him Under Pressure

Host Post:

I am now randomizing the role allocation, so the game may now begin.

I will remove the pink text at the top of the page when all roles have been sent.
    "The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice... It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: we are one. No matter the blood. No matter the skin. No matter the world. No matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain. No matter the darkness. No matter the loss. No matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognise this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because, each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one." ~G'kar

As a metal musician, I must say that your knowledge of influential metalheads is lacking

And Jim Morrison should totally be Keith Richards. No one parties like that guy.
    Last edited by Valynor; 11-04-2016 at 01:46 AM.

I had to make them stuff people would know, Valy .

Also, George Thorogood isn't even metal...

No more meddling for me

Best of luck, guys

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    I had to make them stuff people would know, Valy .

Also, George Thorogood isn't even metal...

No more meddling for me

Best of luck, guys
    :O Keith Richards is the Rolling Stones!

Lemmy Kilmister? James Hetfield? Randy Rhoads? Bruce Dickinson? Come on man!

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post
    :O Keith Richards is the Rolling Stones!

Lemmy Kilmister? James Hetfield? Randy Rhoads? Bruce Dickinson? Come on man!
    Yeah but I would have to look them up.

Vote: Valy knows too much about the metalheads
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Vote: Burnie
    Reason: Tradition!
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Just saying, drug dealer has the coolest role of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Reason: Tradition!
    Is this a tradition like voting for me when i am not playing?

In which case

reason: Failure to accept that he is really a teddy bear in dargon clothes

us1rd4 Shakin&Bakin | us2rd3 DarkFather Dual #665 | us6rd1 NoMercy | us9rd1 NotAMyth (sorceys raid slave and sandwich maker)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummit View Post
    What the pineappleh's going on, and where are my reins?

Occasionally worshipped by Mitachuk, Hej and Vigil
    and most important Sprouts friend

Vote: No Lynch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    You got the right idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    You got the right idea!

This way I can drag the game a little longer and I can analyse everyone better.
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

Community Moderator Mod Deadpool's Avatar

Vote: No lynch

Vote: Valy
    Has knowledges if the heads
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

Unvote Vote: No Lynch

since it appears our fair No Lynch is about to face the big buzzer from Simon in the sky a song seems appropriate.

No Lynch, No Lynch, No Lynch, No Lynch
    I'm begging of you please don't leave the game
    Please don't leave here just because they vote.

Your innocence is beyond compare
    With flaming lines of townie flair
    With default skin and posts of fluid green

Your threads are like a breath of spring
    Your voice is soft like summer rain
    And I cannot compete with you, No Lynch

They vote you out while in their sleep
    There's nothing I can do to keep
    From crying when they vote your name, No Lynch

And I can easily understand
    How you could easily leave the game
    But you don't know what it means to me, No Lynch

I'm begging of you please don't leave th
    Please don't take him just because they vote
    us1rd4 Shakin&Bakin | us2rd3 DarkFather Dual #665 | us6rd1 NoMercy | us9rd1 NotAMyth (sorceys raid slave and sandwich maker)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    Unvote Vote: No Lynch
    Read the OP, this unvote doesn't count unless you say who you're unvoting.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Also Vote: No Lynch
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

vote No lynch
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

And also: awesome, Gebne
    Leader of KoN (S5), TLDRDTX (S3), CIN and PaN (2016 tournie)
    NI!

Unvote: Scarecrow
    Vote: Burn
    Reason:
    Including annoying rules about unvoting

Reason: RVS

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Host Post:

Round update -- I have not received all roles and votes, so the KP deadline remains Caturday, 05 Nov 2016 @ 2100 Eastern.

First KP will be after that.

Present vote count:
    Valy (Rok, mbstokem)
    No Lynch (Eric, Luisss, Deadpool, MK, Valy, Carni, Blaze, Kerzi, SC)
    Last edited by The Burninator; 11-05-2016 at 01:31 AM.

Just to clarify. What does a vote for you count as?

Cause you missed two votes.

The 5th of November is Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    Just to clarify. What does a vote for you count as?

Cause you missed two votes.
    Gebne I'm already still not allowed to give you +10 for your lyrics. Quit makin' me giggle like a child!

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Gebne I'm already still not allowed to give you +10 for your lyrics. Quit makin' me giggle like a child!
    Okay then. Just to save you from giggling in inappropriate places.

Vote: Montana Jagger
    Reason: Stole my birthday

Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    Vote: Montana Jagger
    Reason: Stole my birthday
    As well as many a man's soul and faith?

Does the KP usually take this long in a BoB Mafia game ?
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

He said he was putting it back a day. Some folks hadnt sent in specials yet.

KPs happen at our hosts convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Does the KP usually take this long in a BoB Mafia game ?
    Real life gets in the way sometimes too. Just always be prepared for a delayed KP for one reason or another.

I consistently will get them up by 9:30PM; I said when I posted the thread that the first KP would be on Saturday or Friday if I had all roles by deadline on Friday. As I did not have all roles and votes by deadline on Friday, we went to the original date.

There will be a KP every 24h from now on

KP #1

It's 9 o'clock on a Saturday; regular crowd shuffles in.
    There's an old man sitting next to me making love to his tonic and gin.
    He says, "Son, can you play me a memory; I'm not really sure how it goes, but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete when I wore a younger man's clothes."

Mbstokem and Valynor were switched.

Scarecrow was protected by Carlos Santana.

Played by Carlos Santana...

A Rocker was converted to The Alternative. Chris Cornell is now in play.

Whoa la di da di dee dah, dah dah dummmm.

Well my unconventional conventionalists, it appears that you have elected for a boring first night. For, you have declined to remove an unworthy band from your midst. But this is a luxury which you no longer have.

And you'll need your luxury.

For the deepest, darkest, most DANGEROUS part of the journey is yet to come!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!
    Last edited by The Burninator; 11-06-2016 at 12:38 AM.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Hmm, so roleblocks don't show. And the metalheads didn't eliminate anyone last night. So....
    Either Scare was the target (would that show burn?) or the metalhead was blocked.

This could be tricky. Anyone else have more insight into the KP? What does the role switch do if one of them was the killer in this round?
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Vote: MK
    Reason: I believe he is an Alternative ... Well ... Lets see how it goes ...
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

EBWOP: FoS:gebne
    I'd rather not reveal the reason as it could be beneficial to an enemy band ...
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    (would that show burn?)
    No..

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Hmm, so roleblocks don't show. And the metalheads didn't eliminate anyone last night. So....
    Either Scare was the target (would that show burn?) or the metalhead was blocked.

This could be tricky. Anyone else have more insight into the KP? What does the role switch do if one of them was the killer in this round?
    He would have been switched with another person's target.

Take for example A is the killer ... B and C are swapped players(A can be either one of those) Now, imagine D targeted B using his role speciality and A targeted C. Limo Driver can switch and make it so that A kills B and D kills C. The role blockers might have played their card here and made it so that A couldn't get his opportunity to kill .... This is all speculation ... The game is too vague for me to form any analysis and the players haven't been that chatty too ...
    Aw, you shouldn't have.