Thread: TAKE A VOTE/Bring back a old school server

Default TAKE A VOTE/Bring back a old school server

It would be nice to have a classic travian server once again, Some of us old timers miss it quite a bit. When you had to have real skills, not just money to overload your account. So why not bring it back? Being able to name your hero and pick your hero was amazing. And lots of us miss that. So how about it? bring back a Original travian server once again.

Customer Service Team Dark Tower's Avatar

There's been several interviews.
    They've always tried to bring up this topic on Social media, and in the latest interview Ecki responded: The database and its security are too out-dated to safely manage a classic server.
    Which means that all your data cannot receive a safety warranty: it's easier to hack into that data, and maybe even your account.

They don't want that, and I can't blame them.
    Last edited by Dark Tower; 05-10-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Edit for truth

i say its cause they dont make no money off those servers but its your story tell it how you want.

I stand corrected: it was an interview with Eckart Foos, Game Director. Not the CEO Lars Janssen.

Here's the interview about T3.6 of you don't believe me.

So what Eck is really saying is that THEY have no interest in 3.6. Even I know that hacking into a server is extremely difficult, and 3.6 or 4.4 would be irrelevant.

The outdated PHP database has easy security leaks that can be manipulated.
    To run T3.6 on the newer PHP database has failed numeral times... henceforth: impossible.
    That is what they are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    To run T3.6 on the newer PHP database has failed numeral times... henceforth: impossible.
    Sell me the entire program and lets find out. I'd delete the arties amd make GG's and GW's accessible.

It's not mine to sell

It's not mine to sell
    And of course Travian refuses too......

All that would have to be done, is keep the security you guys have now for the new servers, make a T3 again, delete the artifacts, etc. and then just let us go to town, either way hackers if they really wanted to could get into a new server, as i know Travian has been DDOS'd a few times within the new servers, meaning hackers have by passed the firewall once or twice, and im sure they could do it again just as easy. so why not being able to keep the new security and change the format? I do think it has to do with not making lots on money as they do now, as back then it was about time you spent, not the thousands of dollars you had to buy in gold to be on top

Quote Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
    All that would have to be done, is keep the security you guys have now for the new servers, make a T3 again, delete the artifacts, etc. and then just let us go to town, either way hackers if they really wanted to could get into a new server, as i know Travian has been DDOS'd a few times within the new servers, meaning hackers have by passed the firewall once or twice, and im sure they could do it again just as easy. so why not being able to keep the new security and change the format? I do think it has to do with not making lots on money as they do now, as back then it was about time you spent, not the thousands of dollars you had to buy in gold to be on top
    Please see quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

What would it take to make a old server then? as they said Quote "The outdated PHP database has easy security leaks that can be manipulated." unquote. wouldn't it be the same with the new servers being DDOs'd? mean that the new security can be the same? as i dont remember the older version getting hit. Of course its just a question as im not sure at all... But honestly, As us players, what would it take to try to help get a T3. server again, As i do know there has been talks within Skypes Ventrillo, etc. to try and help bring one back.

Distributed denial of service attacks are about overwhelming a server with traffic. Firewalls don't particularly help there. Both old and new servers would be affected in the same way.
    The security issues I would think are reffering to legitimate hacking although I don't know for certain myself.
    I don't know what it would take given it is currently referred to as unfeasible .

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Ahh ok. Was just wondering of course, I know some players would put in time to help as well just to make it happen of course

Quote Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
    There is difference between getting DDoS-ed and getting into datainformation.
    Data= All your info
    DDoS = Traffic into the server / website

DDoS can't really be stopped, it takes a REALLY good security system to stop a DDoS attack ( even the government and very large companies have been DDOS-ed many times).

It could be about money, but you can't have a leak in the data-base.

Do ettt who cares about $ make it a tounament server :O
    S1R8 ~ Kal El - Win!
    S2R7 ~ MaTaJuAnEs - Loss! / S2R8 ~ iIRiTAtOr
    S3R8 ~ LordDeath - Win! / S3R9 ~ LordDeath
    S5R8 ~ LordDeath - Win!
    S19R1 ~ Goosebumps - Win! / S19R2 ~ Hulk - Win!
    Travian Tourny Qualifier ~ Ganja Gang

Quote Originally Posted by Spider01 View Post
    And just to be clear, I don't care how many servers you delete on. It's just not that important to me anymore.

Seems like they listened to all the T3.6 voices, and came with the next best thing:
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.p...84#post2770484

Check the no items part

Hackers can hack all they want ... We , the good guys, will just beat them down. Plus you can easily identify a hack account without going through the programming and coding side and just by looking at the accounts development
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Hackers can hack all they want ... We , the good guys, will just beat them down. Plus you can easily identify a hack account without going through the programming and coding side and just by looking at the accounts development
    They didn't say the problem was in scripted bot accounts, they said it was with personal information security. It doesn't matter if you are a "good guy" if your opponent can get your password and use your own troops against you.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

-New Users-

Personally I loved the classic servers! Would like to see them come back.

-New Users-

Default version 3.6

I loved 3.6 version! I'm constantly looking for those to play. Sorry to say I don't like the new versions like Kingdoms and those. I'm old school love them!!!!

Without going into too much detail.

T3 is no longer possible to run on modern servers or browsers. Because of the age of the coding and the way the coding was built upon previous versions (unlike TK which was a complete fresh start) its not even possible to unravel the code and change it.
    T3 and its predecessors were written for browsers that are no longer available and use obsolete coding that is not supported by chrome, Edge or firefox now.

Previous posters have mentioned security and this is also a factor to migrate the database to a newer version broke it completely when it was tried. The cost, man hours etc to resurrect T3 makes it economically not viable and if we are completely honest to try to re-code T3 would not give you the same experience.

I have sat round a table in Munich having this discussion and all were in agreement that as nice as it would be for a new T3 server its never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by m.hudson View Post
    Without going into too much detail.

T3 is no longer possible to run on modern servers or browsers. Because of the age of the coding and the way the coding was built upon previous versions (unlike TK which was a complete fresh start) its not even possible to unravel the code and change it.
    T3 and its predecessors were written for browsers that are no longer available and use obsolete coding that is not supported by chrome, Edge or firefox now.

Previous posters have mentioned security and this is also a factor to migrate the database to a newer version broke it completely when it was tried. The cost, man hours etc to resurrect T3 makes it economically not viable and if we are completely honest to try to re-code T3 would not give you the same experience.

I have sat round a table in Munich having this discussion and all were in agreement that as nice as it would be for a new T3 server its never going to happen.
    I think what a lot of people want from it is the removal of the 4 attack per wave cap, no items (Thus removing the dailies) and better performance (likely through lower resolution graphics).

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    I think what a lot of people want from it is the removal of the 4 attack per wave cap, no items (Thus removing the dailies) and better performance (likely through lower resolution graphics).
    I'd love to lose the 4 attacks/second limit. I think it has made players more apprehensive about attacking than they used to be. It's hard to convince people to send more than four waves, and people who can't manage multiple waves in the same second don't want to attack at all. The result is fewer places for defenders to cut into waves, which often means the few opportunities they do have are jumped on (which then reinforces the attacker apprehension).

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    They didn't say the problem was in scripted bot accounts, they said it was with personal information security. It doesn't matter if you are a "good guy" if your opponent can get your password and use your own troops against you.
    Well, I agree with you. That was a post made by emotion. I loved the classic server ... I just wish there could be a way for it to come back.

there is always a way but it has to make money so there is your answer