Thread: Residence to 10, Settle, demolish to Palace

Default Residence to 10, Settle, demolish to Palace

Since building a Palace to L10 is way too expensive and time consuming, which will hamper my growth, I have decided to try (this is my first time trying this strategy) to level my residence, instead of palace, to 10, in my capital. After settling my 3rd village, I will demolish my L10 residence in my cap, and build a palace and declare it a capital.

Is there anything wrong with this choice? This is my first time trying this. Will I lose expansion slot etc? If I do lose one, is it such a big deal?

The expansion slots remain "used", regardless of tearing down residence/palace and rebuilding one or the other.

One method people use is to simply build a level 1 embassy + level 1 palace in the cropper (soon-to-be capital), set capital status, then demo the palace and build up a level 10 residence there for expansion. This method allows you to set capital status there, while also avoiding the higher construction costs of a level 10 palace.

Expansion slots can always be rearranged further down the road, via self-chiefing. Just think forward and plan those out accordingly.... keeping in mind that any self-chiefing will not only wipe out troops trained FROM the chiefed village, but also any academy research + smithy upgrades (wall upgrades, also). Many people perform such rearrangements, in order to get make all three expansion slots "open" in their hammer village, allowing them to have 3 senators/chiefs attack with their hammer.
    us1rd4 Gressor2 / Narwhal
    us1rd5 Elmo / RetrofitMID
    us1rd6 JL Picard
    us1rd7 Putin
    us5-AE Happy Gilmore

Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    It's huggling when they do it, it's strategy when I do it.

I would definitely go with Gressor's idea purely because the level 10 residence gives you nice static CP rather than doing it the other way around.

I've done it both ways and they each have benefits.

The thing to realize about going the L1 palace + embassy route is that you lose the protection on your spawn earlier than you might otherwise want to. Normally I don't swap over my cap status from the spawn to my cropper until I need to go past lvl 10 fields. This protects what is otherwise a more vulnerable town (your spawn) from being chiefed, while also letting you use the auto-dodge feature for the troops there.

As for the CP, a lvl 10 residence gives a whopping 12/day, so I wouldn't worry too much about tearing that sucker down whenever you don't want/need it anymore.

And the expansion slot is attached to the town, not the building. You get access to the first slot at residence 10, or palace 10, the 2nd slot at res 20 or pal 15, and the third slot at pal 20. If you settle the first slot from one building, you must build the other to the level at which you get the 2nd slot to expand again.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

Thank you guys.

A little bit complex for me to understand :P But basically if my plan is to build L10 residence, settle 3rd, then demolish the residence and build palace later, later on, is this ok? Like Mok said that residence at L10 only gives 12/a day.

Will I lose an expansion slot if I do this?

Your expansion slot is tied to the village not the building. So if you build 1 village out of the residence, your palace will only have 2 expansion slots when you build it (rather than 3).

Quote Originally Posted by dewasa View Post
    Thank you guys.

A little bit complex for me to understand :P But basically if my plan is to build L10 residence, settle 3rd, then demolish the residence and build palace later, later on, is this ok? Like Mok said that residence at L10 only gives 12/a day.

Will I lose an expansion slot if I do this?
    In simple words.. Go ahead with your plan. Nothing is wrong with that.
    You will not lose the expansion slot, but yes it will get used up once you settle your 3rd village.

Freeing the slot comes a bit later, right now, just go ahead with this.

Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    As for the CP, a lvl 10 residence gives a whopping 12/day, so I wouldn't worry too much about tearing that sucker down whenever you don't want/need it anymore.
    Not only that, but a level 1 palace gives 6 CP's/day. So you demo the residence and build up a level 1 palace right away, you've already replaced half of what you lost. (You don't even have to switch your capital right away either... you can just let it sit there til you're ready to set that new village as your capital). Also, if you hadn't yet built a level 1 embassy (which is needed for a palace), build it too, and there's 5 more CP's/day too.

I hope I'm not transgressing here I know this is pretty stinkin' old, but this thread most closely resembles my situation. And perhaps this will keep from starting another thread...

I am playing Scattered Empires -- I love the whole new region element that was incorporated. I just yesterday founded a 150% 15 Cropper that I intend to set as my Capital soon. The two variables are this: available resources and incoming attacks.

As MokMonster posted above, I have been enjoying the gold benefits of having Evade enabled in my spawn village. I have been raided frequently with mass TTS, so I am producing Phalanx in my 2nd village to send to my spawn as reinforcements and smash the gutsy troops.
    The timing is the main thing -- I don't want to switch my capitol just yet, and I wonder what would be best for my next settle:
    1. To make the 15C my Cap, then demo the palace and build a residence to 10 -- Deal with attacks on spawn as I'm trying to save and push res. to 15C
    2. To bite the bullet, and go ahead with getting a palace to 10. I have about lvl 9 resource in my spawn, and produce about 1600 each per hour, plus the little produced in my 2nd settle, a 9c. I may be able to afford the palace push, but as soon as I change my capital, I'll be getting hit hard there.
    3. I guess the 3rd option is to leave the spawn as the Cap for now, LVL up a residence in my 15C, and then demo the res and build a palace once crops are LVL 10. Would that be viable?

The only other consideration is CP... I have 10 days trajectory for the next settle, without parties.

I'm just looking for opinions on what would be best.

I hope this is clear. I appreciate the replies. And if this is incorrectly posted and gets moved to another thread, I apologize.

Thanks in advance, Y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by NephilimHoss View Post
    3. I guess the 3rd option is to leave the spawn as the Cap for now, LVL up a residence in my 15C, and then demo the res and build a palace once crops are LVL 10. Would that be viable?
    That's frequently the choice I use.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

One thing about residence vs. palace that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the advantage of building a lvl 15 palace in support/feeder villas. You need a lvl 20 residence to get the second expansion slot but only lvl 15 palace. A lvl 10 palace is more expensive than lvl 10 residence, but lvl 15 palace is way cheaper than a lvl 20 residence. I build and then demolish lvl 15 palaces all over the place, until I need to make multiple chiefs in my cap villa.

Depending on the server, i.e. raiding income, how competitive it is for growth, etc., I sometimes start doing this on villa #3, but definitely by #5. As noted above, you can change your cap with only a lvl 1 palace so you don't need to build a full palace in your capital, and building/destroying a palace has no effect on which villa is your actual capital.

And now Tineren can do the math to show exactly when it becomes cost-effective to do this because I play by instinct, not math

Quote Originally Posted by terreciel View Post
    And now Tineren can do the math to show exactly when it becomes cost-effective to do this because I play by instinct, not math
    You say that as if he hasn't already done that math.

...though the answer is rarely straight-forward and comes down to your personal income situation.
    If you can easily build the palace to 10 by the time you're ready to settle the next one, that's when you do it. If you're still struggling to get resources together for a Residence 10, then you're not ready to go the Palace route yet.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

I know this is an old post, but can't you only settle 1 village at Level 10? and the next at Level 20 when using a residence?

Quote Originally Posted by pigbenis80 View Post
    I know this is an old post, but can't you only settle 1 village at Level 10? and the next at Level 20 when using a residence?
    Correct. A level 10 residence unlocks the ability to train 3 settlers. While you can train more if they die, you cannot if you use them to settle. You have to take the residence to 20 to train a second set.

S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Yeah, that's what I thought. The OP was talking about settling 3 villages with a L10 Residence. That's impossible. Was it possible back in 2014 when this thread was started?

Quote Originally Posted by pigbenis80 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought. The OP was talking about settling 3 villages with a L10 Residence. That's impossible. Was it possible back in 2014 when this thread was started?
    The OP was talking about building a level 10 residence in his second village to settle his third village, then later tearing down that residence and replacing it with a palace to declare his second village as his capital. So still just settling once at residence level 10, just doing it from multiple villages.

Some have argued that just putting the palace in your cap is worth it because to go from 11-15 is way cheaper than residence 11-20. Also, you don't lose a ton of resources and time demoing the residence. The long run option, I guess.
    To me: this sounds best for anvils since hammers will want the 3 chiefs.