Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Mythology Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post

If you notice, Agnostic and Atheist have the most money in them.
    Yeah, every religion gives their own form of compassion.

The Jew gave him some practical life advice.

The Buddhist told him something philosophical.

The Christian invited him to church, then prayed for him.

The Hindu cooked him a delicious lunch.

The Atheist took the chance to prove that atheists are indeed more ethical than any religious person, and placed cash in the bowl, more than the cheapskates of theists nnngggaaaa.

The Agnostic just viewed a man down on his luck, and gave him some money.

The pagan and the spiritualist formed a circle with the homeless man, they took two puffs each and passed it to the left. A clear sign of compassion.

Then the Muslim blew the homeless man and himself up.

The homeless man is now dæd, his name was Narodnik
    Last edited by Summer; 05-24-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supercomputers View Post
    God is understood to be a being than which no greater can be conceived. The idea of God exists in the mind. A being which exists both in the mind and in reality is greater than a being that exists only in the mind. If God only exists in the mind, then we can conceive of a greater being—that which exists in reality. We cannot be imagining something that is greater than God.
    Therefore, God exists.
    That is based on the assumption that something will exist because we can imagine that it would exist / because it ought to exist. I hardly think it necessary to point out how flawed this argument is, let alone that it does not support the Christian god over other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    That said, He never forces anyone to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus 9:12 (NIV)
    But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron [...]
    ----------

We've discussed that here before, Woden. Nice to see you .
    US1 - Redemption. US2 - Luisss.

"Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Yeah, every religion gives their own form of compassion.

The Jew gave him some practical life advice.

The Buddhist told him something philosophical.

The Christian invited him to church, then prayed for him.

The Hindu cooked him a delicious lunch.

The Atheist took the chance to prove that atheists are indeed more ethical than any religious person, and placed cash in the bowl, more than the cheapskates of theists nnngggaaaa.

The Agnostic just viewed a man down on his luck, and gave him some money.

The pagan and the spiritualist formed a circle with the homeless man, they took two puffs each and passed it to the left. A clear sign of compassion.

Then the Muslim blew the homeless man and himself up.

The homeless man is now dæd, his name was Narodnik
    Epic
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

We've discussed that here before, Woden. Nice to see you .
    We have said the same to you several times lil buddy.
    Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach
    Stop tooting on flutes and go read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
    We have said the same to you several times lil buddy.
    Im gay
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Did anyone else notice that when luisss left so did the majority of religious bashing? Luisss brings it on himself? He must be enjoying it.
    Retired as of 10/13/14 after 7 and a half years of playing. Good luck to those who continue to play.
    us2; Round 6 - Adjudicator (Getter) (BACON) (Lost)
    us3; Round 2 - stevo (Getter) (QoD) (Lost)
    us3; Round 3 - stemem (Getter) (SI) (Won)
    us3; Round 4 - BliZZarD (Getter) (Delicious) (lost)
    us3; Round 5 - Ice Lillies (Getter) (DoS) (Semper DoS)
    us3; Round 7 - Revolt (Getter) (SI) (Won)
    us8; Round 1 - Heavenly Wrath (Getter) (TNT) (won)
    com3; Round ? - General Mills (Getter) (ReD DoS/TWD) (Lost)

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Im gay
    Great! Jono goes gay and Sapient goes straight...can't you guys make up your minds?
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Great! Jono goes gay and Sapient goes straight...can't you guys make up your minds?
    At least I'm consistently bisexual.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    You're also forgetting that Jono is getting into trouble and Sapient isn't. That's another oddity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    At least I'm consistently bisexual.
    Hey sexy.

Well played, Summer. I must spread my rep around.
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by ???? View Post
    Did anyone else notice that when luisss left so did the majority of religious bashing? Luisss brings it on himself? He must be enjoying it.
    This thread was started before I came back.

This thread was started before I came back.
    And the arguing didn't start till after you came back? I took this thread for what its worth, just nonsense that is supposed to bring humor. People make fun of religions, doesn't matter what. Just take it for what it is and let it go.

*from a Roman Catholic*
    Retired as of 10/13/14 after 7 and a half years of playing. Good luck to those who continue to play.
    us2; Round 6 - Adjudicator (Getter) (BACON) (Lost)
    us3; Round 2 - stevo (Getter) (QoD) (Lost)
    us3; Round 3 - stemem (Getter) (SI) (Won)
    us3; Round 4 - BliZZarD (Getter) (Delicious) (lost)
    us3; Round 5 - Ice Lillies (Getter) (DoS) (Semper DoS)
    us3; Round 7 - Revolt (Getter) (SI) (Won)
    us8; Round 1 - Heavenly Wrath (Getter) (TNT) (won)
    com3; Round ? - General Mills (Getter) (ReD DoS/TWD) (Lost)

Consul

And the arguing didn't start till after you came back?
    That's because Luisss is one of the only ones foolish enough to get sucked into the moronic insistence of the religious and anti-religious pissants on this forum to rehash the same ******* unwinnable arguments over and over and over.

And the arguing didn't start till after you came back? I took this thread for what its worth, just nonsense that is supposed to bring humor. People make fun of religions, doesn't matter what. Just take it for what it is and let it go.

*from a Roman Catholic*
    Am I suppose to apologize for standing up for my faith or something?

I'll let others do that through silence.

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    You're also forgetting that Jono is getting into trouble and Sapient isn't. That's another oddity.

Hey sexy.
    They switched bodies? Brains?
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Am I suppose to apologize for standing up for my faith or something?

I'll let others do that through silence.
    Have you noticed that in general, the more actively the adherents of any particular faith advocate and proselytise, the more likely that faith is to be object of unfavorable comments and resistance?
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Have you noticed that in general, the more actively the adherents of any particular faith advocate and proselytise, the more likely that faith is to be object of unfavorable comments and resistance?
    I haven't seen that at all. Or are you talking about on this forum of about 100 active people?

I'm fairly sure that is a general relation that isn't only applicable to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Christian norms were forced on US citizens a lot more 50 years ago, but it gets ******* about a lot more nowadays. The generalization doesn't really hold.
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Look at the differences between Christian sects. Most mainstream (i.e., non-fundamentalist) Protestant sects don't push their particular list of beliefs in people's faces, and don't get nearly as much criticism. Whereas the Christians who peddle their beliefs door-to-door or on TV get lots of criticism.

And when was the last time you heard anyone going on about how obnoxious Daoists can be?

Look at the differences between Christian sects. Most mainstream (i.e., non-fundamentalist) Protestant sects don't push their particular list of beliefs in people's faces, and don't get nearly as much criticism. Whereas the Christians who peddle their beliefs door-to-door or on TV get lots of criticism.

And when was the last time you heard anyone going on about how obnoxious Daoists can be?

What on earth do you mean by "push their list of beliefs onto people's faces"? Which "sects" of Christianity do this? Going door to door is trying to spread the word. Many organizations do it, including non-religious ones. Now, I'm not sure how you react to people walking to your doorstep, but when someone comes to my doorstep I don't criticize them or resist them when they try to get their message out, even if they are part of something I disagree with.

I simply say I'm not interested. So, what form of "unfavorable comments and resistance" are you talking about? The only resistance and unfavorable comments to be seen tend to be under the cloak of anonymity online, with the exception of the upcoming atheist (lol) church..

Also, I find it funny that you're calling the non-fundamentalist Protestant sects mainstream but saying its he fundamentalists who broadcast to the largest audience.

I dunno Luiss, I'd say every single person who ever voted for a politician for religious reasons is definitely pushing their beliefs on the rest of the country. Religion is one of the most common single-issue vote justifications, it just gets spread around a bit through things like abortion, gay marriage/adoption, mandatory prayer in schools, teaching creationism in the classroom, etc, but its still a purely religious argument most of the time.

By that logic, everyone who votes pushes their beliefs onto other people.

What on earth do you mean by "push their list of beliefs onto people's faces"? Which "sects" of Christianity do this? Going door to door is trying to spread the word. Many organizations do it, including non-religious ones. Now, I'm not sure how you react to people walking to your doorstep, but when someone comes to my doorstep I don't criticize them or resist them when they try to get their message out, even if they are part of something I disagree with.
    It's exactly this concept of 'spreading the word' that I'm talking about. Why do Christians feel the need to 'spread the word'? It's not as if most people don't know there is such a thing as
    Christianity. If I'm interested, I'll do the research. I don't like people coming to my door seling religion any more than I like people coming to my door selling duct cleaning services. If I want my ducts cleaned, I'll contact my furnace guy.

I simply say I'm not interested. So, what form of "unfavorable comments and resistance" are you talking about? The only resistance and unfavorable comments to be seen tend to be under the cloak of anonymity online, with the exception of the upcoming atheist (lol) church..
    Really? You've never heard people talking about how sick and tired they are of Mormons or Jehovah's witnesses at their door? Jokes about the inanities and ridiculous behaviour of televangelists? Or the Scientologists who stop you on the street and invite you into their 'headquarters' for a 'free engram analysis'? the schadenfreude when someone who holds themselves up in front of the whole world as a 'Christian leader' gets caught at a glory hole in a public toilet?

Also, I find it funny that you're calling the non-fundamentalist Protestant sects mainstream but saying its he fundamentalists who broadcast to the largest audience.
    The fundamentalist sects are smaller, much louder and have more extreme views. The non-fundamentalist sects are much larger, and represent the mainstream of Christian thought, but you don't see or hear them nearly as much. instead, they worship in fellowship with their co-religionists and quietly do good work.

Those are the Christians I respect.

That's 100% true. Welcome to democracy.

Except religion is the one justification that I can think of that is expressly forbid by the constitution.

It's true in America now, but it's not true in many countries that don't share our specific circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    It's true in America now, but it's not true in many countries that don't share our specific circumstances.
    Not sure about other countries but what Meherrin is saying holds true here in Oz. At least where I am anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Babalu View Post
    Except religion is the one justification that I can think of that is expressly forbid by the constitution.
    That constitution is dead. Don't act like you care now.

When you voice it, sure. When you just vote and keep to yourself--you're part of a faceless mass.

When you vote and lose, someone pushes their beliefs on you.
    When you vote and win, you push your beliefs on someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbal View Post
    When you vote and lose, someone pushes their beliefs on you.
    When you vote and win, you push your beliefs on someone else.
    If you want to play with the definition of the word, sure.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/belief
    We're using definition 3, whereas you're using definition 1. Nice play on words, though.

It's exactly this concept of 'spreading the word' that I'm talking about. Why do Christians feel the need to 'spread the word'? It's not as if most people don't know there is such a thing as
    Christianity. If I'm interested, I'll do the research. I don't like people coming to my door seling religion any more than I like people coming to my door selling duct cleaning services. If I want my ducts cleaned, I'll contact my furnace guy.
    Christians want to spread Christianity for a variety of reasons. Some that I can think of include: a) they witnessed a miracle, b) they realized a big change in their life after accepting Christ, c) the Bible says to be "fishers of men" and to spread the word of God specifically.

It also says that faith without works is dead. If you aren't getting the message out you aren't fulfilling your entire duty as a Christian.

Really? You've never heard people talking about how sick and tired they are of Mormons or Jehovah's witnesses at their door? Jokes about the inanities and ridiculous behaviour of televangelists? Or the Scientologists who stop you on the street and invite you into their 'headquarters' for a 'free engram analysis'? the schadenfreude when someone who holds themselves up in front of the whole world as a 'Christian leader' gets caught at a glory hole in a public toilet?
    I've seen specific instances in which Christianity is given a bad name by someone in the limelight, but I can't say that I've ever seen some sort of organized (or disorganized) resistance towards Christianity. That, and, with th exception of the Internet, you don't see much widespread ridicule of biblical principles.

The fundamentalist sects are smaller, much louder and have more extreme views. The non-fundamentalist sects are much larger, and represent the mainstream of Christian thought, but you don't see or hear them nearly as much. instead, they worship in fellowship with their co-religionists and quietly do good work.

Those are the Christians I respect.
    Interesting.

Unlike you, I respect everyone, including non-Christians until I'm given a reason not to. I have a question for you: Would you consider me Biblical fundamentalist?

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Punk View Post
    That's 100% true. Welcome to democracy.
    Thanks Daft Punk. That means the point MQ was trying to make is 100% pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Babalu View Post
    Religion is not exempt anywhere in the constitution. In fact, it's our right to exercise any religion we wish. The only mention of religion is the forbidding of a government religion.

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    If you want to play with the definition of the word, sure.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/belief
    We're using definition 3, whereas you're using definition 1. Nice play on words, though.
    Explain in more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbal View Post
    Explain in more detail.
    [citation needed]

Thanks Daft Punk. That means the point MQ was trying to make is 100% pointless.
    It shows your grasp on this conversation when not only you fail to address an issue entirely, but also fail to understand the origin of that counterargument entirely. Might Quinn hasn't posted in this thread recently. I'd be willing to bet that he hasn't posted in this thread at all.

How is it pointless again? Just because it contradicts your own views does not make it pointless, nor because it fails some contrived, asinine litmus test inside your head.

If you're electing FRINGE representatives solely for RELIGIOUS purposes, endorsing views that most of the American populace do not support based off of religious views (not Christianity, but fundamentalist Christianity), you're basically not only throwing your vote away by electing somebody who is most likely bat**** insane and incompetent, but also insulting anybody who wishes to keep America free from the influence of a state religion. If some district theoretically elected a person who espoused establishing sharia law in the United States, and consistently voted along that pattern, could one say he, and through his behavior as a representative, his constituents were attempting to impose their religious beliefs and practices over the rest of the United States' population.

Only secular matters should be considered in Congress. Keep the Papal Bulls and matters of spiritual doctrines to the heads of religion, where they belong.

It shows your grasp on this conversation when not only you fail to address an issue entirely, but also fail to understand the origin of that counterargument entirely. Might Quinn hasn't posted in this thread recently. I'd be willing to bet that he hasn't posted in this thread at all.

How is it pointless again? Just because it contradicts your own views does not make it pointless, nor because it fails some contrived, asinine litmus test inside your head.

If you're electing FRINGE representatives solely for RELIGIOUS purposes, endorsing views that most of the American populace do not support based off of religious views (not Christianity, but fundamentalist Christianity), you're basically not only throwing your vote away by electing somebody who is most likely bat**** insane and incompetent, but also insulting anybody who wishes to keep America free from the influence of a state religion. If some district theoretically elected a person who espoused establishing sharia law in the United States, and consistently voted along that pattern, could one say he, and through his behavior as a representative, his constituents were attempting to impose their religious beliefs and practices over the rest of the United States' population.

Only secular matters should be considered in Congress. Keep the Papal Bulls and matters of spiritual doctrines to the heads of religion, where they belong.
    Great, here you come to say an absolute megaton of crap with almost no substance.

First: Yes, I mistook Babalu for MQ. No, you haven't pointed out how I "didnt understand" the nonexistent counter argument. Meherinns point was that Christians throw their religion into people's faces, and Babalu attempted to support that notion by saying they did by voting. I countered this by saying that everyone does that, then, through voting (Which nullifies the idea that Christians voting is support for Meherinn's notion that Christians throw their religion in people's faces). Entirely unnecessary, too, because she goes on to explain what she means by that once asked.

Second: The idea that only secular matters should be discussed in congress is what's absolutely "bat**** crazy". It is entirely impossible to keep "religious" matters out of congress because they effect the lives of every human being. Abortion, homosexual marriage, and other things are issues that impact everyone, and THAT is why they are necessary in Congress. You said earlier, "Welcome to democracy". Democracy is about voting for someone who you believe will represent you how you want to be represented - If you're someone who wants sharia law so be it - Your vote is your vote. There are people who vote socialist, there are people who vote communist, and there are people who vote libertarian.

Christians want to spread Christianity for a variety of reasons. Some that I can think of include: a) they witnessed a miracle, b) they realized a big change in their life after accepting Christ, c) the Bible says to be "fishers of men" and to spread the word of God specifically.
    For reasons a and b, why would anyone except their friends, family and co-religionists need or want to know? As for reason c, that's a part of why I specifically dislike Christianity as a religion. Parts of the teachings (usually those parts that are found in all religions, but still) are fine, but the requirement to cultural imperialism really annoys me.

It also says that faith without works is dead. If you aren't getting the message out you aren't fulfilling your entire duty as a Christian.
    Silly me, and here I thought that was a reference to works of charity and compassion like helping to improve the lives of others.

I've seen specific instances in which Christianity is given a bad name by someone in the limelight, but I can't say that I've ever seen some sort of organized (or disorganized) resistance towards Christianity. That, and, with th exception of the Internet, you don't see much widespread ridicule of biblical principles.
    I never said it was organised, lol. Lots of people just plain find 'public Christians' anywhere from annoying to laughable. From the constant whining of televangelists to send more money to the insanity of sports figures announcing after a game that their god gave them the win (why should I have any interest in a deity that reportedly fixes sporting events?), the spectacle that many 'public Christians' make of themselves is all at once hilarious, pathetic and disgusting.

Unlike you, I respect everyone, including non-Christians until I'm given a reason not to.
    That's exactly the point, Luiss - the kind of Christian who just can't stop peddling their wares in every place imaginable has lost my respect with their behaviour.

I have a question for you: Would you consider me Biblical fundamentalist?
    I honestly don't know for certain. The essential definition of a fundamentalist Christian is a belief in certain 'fundamentals' of the religion. The one that seems to most distinguish fundamentalists from other Christians is a belief in the literal truth of the Bible, as the other fundamentals - the virgin birth of Christ, his death as an atonement for the sins of humanity, his bodily ressurection and the historicity of miracles - are more widely accepted.

You seem to argue that the Bible is literal truth, and you have written about at least two of the other core fundamentals, so if pressed I would say that it would not surprise me if you were a member if a fundamentalist church or movement, but that's my impression and I don't know if you are or are not.

If you're electing FRINGE representatives solely for RELIGIOUS purposes, endorsing views that most of the American populace do not support
    How does a minority democratically elect a fringe representative solely for religious reasons against the wishes of the majority? Basic logic dictates you can't unless the minority isn't really the minority or the majority doesn't care enough to vote against it. Or there is voter fraud.