Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I like to read, how about you?

Default I like to read, how about you?

So, it seems I must follow through on my threat and talk about books.

Now, I know there was a book thread in here some time ago, but I hunted for it and could not find it, so here we are, in a new book thread.

I have just finished a really good - and very different - fantasy trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. the three volumes are The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, The Broken Kingdoms, and Kingdom of the Gods. This is not epic fantasy as we usually see it, even though it deals with the fall and rise of kingdoms, heroes, gods and magic, politics, betrayal, revenge and redemption, love and jealousy and hate, and all that good stuff, but put together in a unique way.

I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a wide range of fantasy sub-genres and is ready for something out of the ordinary. I should note that I'm not the only one raving about Jemisin. The first volume of the trilogy won the Locus Award for Best First Novel and The World Fantasy Award.

And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Adding that to my rather long list of books/authors to check out.
    Finished a Joe R. Lansdale Novel, Edge of Dark Water, last week. Takes place in East Texas along the Sabine River, like a lot of Joe's work, and is reminiscent of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Fin.
    Now reading Feed by Mira Grant and am so far unsure how I feel about it. Its a new take on zombies yet has little to do with them.

dis ***** really wants to talk bout fantasy books?
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Reading? Books?

But this r teh interwebz1?1?!1!1?1
    *somethingsomethinglegaldisclaimer*
    Modzing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I'm not really a girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    No, Flossie was naughty.
    I am feeling naughty
    Mmmmm, good enough to make me want to stop being a good girl.
    ****It's fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    ^ Note the lack of capitalization.

Quote Originally Posted by fortress View Post
    Reading? Books?
    But this r teh interwebz1?1?!1!1?1
    It's all right, fortress, I know they don't teach the three 'R's in grade school the way they used to when I was young. Soneday you'll discover the wonderful world of books - many of them now available as e-books and found on teh intarwebz.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Now reading Feed by Mira Grant and am so far unsure how I feel about it. Its a new take on zombies yet has little to do with them.
    I have Grant's book in my to-be-read pile. I have heard a lot of good things about it, but Ilook forward to hearing your thoughts when you finish it.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

I'm really behind on reading things that are worth reading. Very, very behind. As in, the last book I read for fun/pleasure/because I just wanted to was the Hunger Games.

This year, however, I have read a lot of books for research that I thought were really neat. I read In A Queer Time and Place by J. Halberstam. I thought it was interesting, but at the same time I felt as though Halberstam's description of Queer Time to be vague and unhelpful. I also spent a great deal of time with The Twilight of Equality by Lisa Duggins, and I really enjoyed looking at homonormativity and thinking about gay complicity in consumer culture and perpetuating systems of oppression upon non-normative queers. I also re-read Caliban and the Witch by Sylvia Federici which is about the dawn of capitalism and the death of the commons. I thought her points were interesting, but the parts about witchcraft seemed tangential.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabelle View Post
    This year, however, I have read a lot of books for research that I thought were really neat. I read In A Queer Time and Place by J. Halberstam. I thought it was interesting, but at the same time I felt as though Halberstam's description of Queer Time to be vague and unhelpful. I also spent a great deal of time with The Twilight of Equality by Lisa Duggins, and I really enjoyed looking at homonormativity and thinking about gay complicity in consumer culture and perpetuating systems of oppression upon non-normative queers. I also re-read Caliban and the Witch by Sylvia Federici which is about the dawn of capitalism and the death of the commons. I thought her points were interesting, but the parts about witchcraft seemed tangential.
    It's been a while since I did much reading on queer theory, but what you have to say about the Duggins book sounds quite interesting.

In the realm of non-fiction, I'm currently reading Listening to Grasshoppers, a collection of essays by Arundhati Roy. I very much enjoy reading her work because it gives me a solid, left-wing, non-Western perspective on global issues.

Edit: having read sone reviews of all three books, I can now add that I will have to add all three to my to-be-read pile. Thanks for mentioning them, Mirabelle.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 03-26-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    It's all right, fortress, I know they don't teach the three 'R's in grade school the way they used to when I was young. Someday you'll discover the wonderful world of books - many of them now available as e-books and found on teh intarwebz.
    tl;dr. That's what Sparknotes are for

Also fix't
    *somethingsomethinglegaldisclaimer*
    Modzing!
    I'm not really a girl.
    No, Flossie was naughty.
    I am feeling naughty
    Mmmmm, good enough to make me want to stop being a good girl.
    ****It's fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    ^ Note the lack of capitalization.

Divergent By Veronica Roth, Insurgent by Veronica Roth, The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare, and The Infernal Devices Series By Cassandra Clare are my current favorites. Well, and i'm reading some Star Wars books. Oh, and the Shannara Series by Terry Brooks is always a great read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Recently finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. He does an excellent job writing low fantasy that deconstructs a lot of the usual fantasy cliches. Check out The First Law trilogy by him if you're interested. I'm currently re-reading Reamde by Neil Stephenson, partly because I read that it has a very good shot of being turned in to a TV series.

Also, I'm growing way too old too fast for the pace that George R.R. Martin is taking in writing his A Song of Fire and Ice series. And he's older than me, so I'm hoping we don't end up thinking of Martin as Robert Jordan v2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Man View Post
    Recently finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. He does an excellent job writing low fantasy that deconstructs a lot of the usual fantasy cliches. Check out The First Law trilogy by him if you're interested. I'm currently re-reading Reamde by Neil Stephenson, partly because I read that it has a very good shot of being turned in to a TV series.

Also, I'm growing way too old too fast for the pace that George R.R. Martin is taking in writing his A Song of Fire and Ice series. And he's older than me, so I'm hoping we don't end up thinking of Martin as Robert Jordan v2.0.
    The Red Country was a great book. My fav from that series so far is The Heroes. Grim stuff.
    As far as Martin/Jordan goes, at least Jordan had a good author to finish his series with the notes and audio files he left behind. Martin steadfastly refused to allow anyone to finish up his series if he kicks the bucket, and the man is not in the best of shape

The Red Country was a great book. My fav from that series so far is The Heroes. Grim stuff.
    As far as Martin/Jordan goes, at least Jordan had a good author to finish his series with the notes and audio files he left behind. Martin steadfastly refused to allow anyone to finish up his series if he kicks the bucket, and the man is not in the best of shape
    The Heroes was my favorite too; Whirrun of Bligh has to be one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

Right now, I'm seriously hoping that HBO might be able to do something in getting Martin to either speed up or do something along the lines that Jordan did (Sanderson did an excellent job finishing off the series). Individual fans might not be able to do much in spurring along a grumpy author, but hopefully a gigantic cable television network has the funds and the clout to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Man View Post
    Right now, I'm seriously hoping that HBO might be able to do something in getting Martin to either speed up or do something along the lines that Jordan did (Sanderson did an excellent job finishing off the series). Individual fans might not be able to do much in spurring along a grumpy author, but hopefully a gigantic cable television network has the funds and the clout to do something.
    Especially considering how well-received it has been.
    So far they are breaking it down to half a book a season, so that will give him a little more time and them a little more room to not drop as much detail.
    He really needs to get his old *** in gear, tho.

He claims he's been having writer's block. Me, I think his multiple plot lines got out of control and now he has no idea how to pull everything back together again for a satisfying conclusion. But I hope I'm wrong.

He claims he's been having writer's block. Me, I think his multiple plot lines got out of control and now he has no idea how to pull everything back together again for a satisfying conclusion. But I hope I'm wrong.
    I think he so busy traveling, going to conventions, watching football and just having a great time that he keeps putting off putting his nose to the grindstone.
    He is, I think, wallowing in the greatness he has created for himself and needs someone behind him with a flogger to get him back to work.

I think he so busy traveling, going to conventions, watching football and just having a great time that he keeps putting off putting his nose to the grindstone.
    He is, I think, wallowing in the greatness he has created for himself and needs someone behind him with a flogger to get him back to work.
    Could be part of it, but the thing is that he has been working on other things. He's edited at least a dozen anthologies in the past 10 years, including several in the shared universe Wild Cards series which he has contributed to himself, and written at least one novel that's not in the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Could be part of it, but the thing is that he has been working on other things. He's edited at least a dozen anthologies in the past 10 years, including several in the shared universe Wild Cards series which he has contributed to himself, and written at least one novel that's not in the Song of Ice and Fire series.
    Yeah. And hawking off every calendar/action figure/replica sword he could possibly sell along the way.
    I am gonna be so pissed if he dies before finishing.

Consul

So, it seems I must follow through on my threat and talk about books.

Now, I know there was a book thread in here some time ago, but I hunted for it and could not find it, so here we are, in a new book thread.

I have just finished a really good - and very different - fantasy trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. the three volumes are The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, The Broken Kingdoms, and Kingdom of the Gods. This is not epic fantasy as we usually see it, even though it deals with the fall and rise of kingdoms, heroes, gods and magic, politics, betrayal, revenge and redemption, love and jealousy and hate, and all that good stuff, but put together in a unique way.

I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a wide range of fantasy sub-genres and is ready for something out of the ordinary. I should note that I'm not the only one raving about Jemisin. The first volume of the trilogy won the Locus Award for Best First Novel and The World Fantasy Award.

I'll have to check it out. The Fantasy genre has always been one I've been hesitant to invest time in because if just seems like there is so much potential for nonsense. Outside of the usual suspects (Tolkien, Lewis, Martin and Jordan) I really haven't ventured much into it (films and gaming is a different matter). I like the genre though and welcome suggestions.

EDIT: I've enjoy the first two installments of Justin Cronin's trilogy (The Passage and The Twelve have been published so far with The City of Mirrors expected in 2014).
    Last edited by jdurand; 03-27-2013 at 01:09 AM.

I started reading The Killing Floor the other day, and my favorite book is Saint by Ted Dekker.
    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I started reading The Killing Floor the other day, and my favorite book is Saint by Ted Dekker.
    My favorite is Luisss, since i love to read him like an open book.
    I'm not very bright.

I read somewhere that's he's told HBO most of the major plot threads for the remaining two books so they can finish up the TV series.

Also I just read Dune for the first time this weekend. Ah, the old science-fiction sheen of misogyny and homophobia, how I love thee.

But seriously, now I need to find all the sequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaynay View Post
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You're a ******* idiot.
    I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ANSWER IS.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)
    S1- Trannysaurusrex- 7RU (the awesome wing)
    S1- Inshallah. It be but the will of God.

No neg coords for me.

I sometimes read detective novels, mysteries and thrillers. Three series that I enjoyed very much some years ago were Robert Parker's Spenser novels, Andrew Vachss' Burke novels, and Michael Slade's Special X novels. I've been thinking recently that I ought to catch up with these series, as all three authors have written more books.

Lately I've been reading Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series, Kathy Reich's Bones novels, and Maureen Jenning's Detective Murdoch novels.

I also have a bit of a fascination with real-life serial killers and over the years have read a number of 'true crime' books on serial killers from Jack the Ripper to Gary Ridgeway.

I am reading "The Immortal live of Henrietta Lacks" but Rebecca Skloot.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

I am reading "The Immortal live of Henrietta Lacks" but Rebecca Skloot.
    Oh, I've been thinking about geting that. How is it?

I sometimes read detective novels, mysteries and thrillers. Three series that I enjoyed very much some years ago were Robert Parker's Spenser novels...
    oooo love the Spencer For Hire novels. Robert Parker died a few years ago, I think.
    Love Elmore Leonard's work, whether it's his Westerns or his turn of the century crime novels or the more current stuff. Read all of it!

oooo love the Spencer For Hire novels. Robert Parker died a few years ago, I think.
    !
    Both Spenser and Hawk are amazing characters. I really like what Parker did with both characters by giving them very powerful codes of justice, ethics and honour that are not necesarily in sync with social norms and legal precriptions.

Did you ever see either the Spenser for Hire TV movies or the short-lived but intriguing series A Man Called Hawk (starring Avery Brooks of Star Trek: DS9)?

Yeppers, long before they were syndicated into repeats. Perfect casting and pretty amazing how well the tv shows stuck to the heart of the characters, especially back then.
    Have you watched Justified on the FX channel? Rayland Givens is an Elmore Leonard character from about 3 or 4 novels. Great series, on the 3rd season I think.

Yeppers, long before they were syndicated into repeats. Perfect casting and pretty amazing how well the tv shows stuck to the heart of the characters, especially back then.
    Have you watched Justified on the FX channel? Rayland Givens is an Elmore Leonard character from about 3 or 4 novels. Great series, on the 3rd season I think.
    I'm not in the US so channels don't mean much to me. I do have means of acquiring TV shows that don't air in Canada, so I might check it out. I haven't read anything by Leonard, but wikipedia tells me that the film Jackie Brown was adapted from one of his noveks, and I liked that film, so that's one reason to explore sone of his other work.

Meherrin, it is well written, I am really enjoying it and learning a lot from it.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Getting away from fantasy, I just read a book, Blind Your Ponies. Kind of like Hoosiers, but a decent read.

Also, can't go wrong with Tony Hillerman for good detective/mystery.

I'm not in the US so channels don't mean much to me. I do have means of acquiring TV shows that don't air in Canada, so I might check it out. I haven't read anything by Leonard, but wikipedia tells me that the film Jackie Brown was adapted from one of his noveks, and I liked that film, so that's one reason to explore sone of his other work.
    The movies Get Shory and Out Of Sight were based off of his books as well as 3:10 To Yuma, Joe Kidd and Charles Bronson's Mr. Majestik.
    Lots of other movies that suck were made from his books as well: 52 Pickup and Stick to name 2.

Meherrin, it is well written, I am really enjoying it and learning a lot from it.
    No one cares.
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaman43 View Post
    I read somewhere that's he's told HBO most of the major plot threads for the remaining two books so they can finish up the TV series.

Also I just read Dune for the first time this weekend. Ah, the old science-fiction sheen of misogyny and homophobia, how I love thee.

But seriously, now I need to find all the sequels.
    Dune is amazing!
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/5194/m...crewmember.jpg
    s7 r1 - Quinnito/KWC (Gemini) s7 r2 - Kazumodo (frenchmaids) s7 r3 Smokey
    s1 r3 - Nemain (DSP)
    s5x - Pootang (DB!)

Reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for fun. Pretty strange but a quick read.

I've got another recommendation for you readers of fantasy. Several recommendations, actually.

Australian writer Glenda Larke has written three really good fantasy trilogies. Her first trilogy, Isles of Glory (The Aware, Gilfeather, The Tainted), was captivating. Then I read her third trilogy, Stormlord (The Last Stormlord, Stormlord Rising, Stormlord's Exile) and was really impressed. Her second trilogy, Mirage Makers (Heart of the Mirage, Shadow of Tyr, Song of the Shiver Barrens) is hard to find in North America, so I finally ordered it from The Book Depository in the UK, and i'm almost finished the second volume, and it is as good as her other works.

Larke is very good at all of the things that make for a good epic fantasy read - strong and multi-faceted characters, complex worldbuilding, a sense of the long sweep of historic events, politics and battles and the threads of personal lives woven into vast tapestries. What she does that's different is imbue her stories with a strong sense of the way that diversity of place - geography, geology, ecology - influences culture and the making of history. I'm reminded of how G. R. R. Martin uses the diversity of place (the northern wastes, the Dothraki sea of grass) to highlight aspects of the cultures, traditions, politics and history of his peoples in the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Anyway, if epic fantasy is your thing, you might want to check out Larke's stuff.

Almost done with Feed. Good stuff, lots of mythology behind the scenes. Can only imagine how many pages of notes she had.

Almost done with Feed. Good stuff, lots of mythology behind the scenes. Can only imagine how many pages of notes she had.
    That's next on my list.

I just finished Black Swan Green. It was absolutely amazing. I'd really recommend it for anyone < 25 here.

I'd currently reading the Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson. Seriously, go buy it. You can get it for like a cent on amazon. I don't think I've ever had an emotional reaction this strong for any other book, and I'm only halfway through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaynay View Post
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You're a ******* idiot.
    I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ANSWER IS.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)
    S1- Trannysaurusrex- 7RU (the awesome wing)
    S1- Inshallah. It be but the will of God.

No neg coords for me.

Has anyone else here read any or all of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander saga?

It's an odd hybrid. Historical fiction, romance, a bit of fantasy, and time travel. The books in the main sequence (7 so far) are all 1000-page-plus monstrosities, the plots are so convoluted with the cast of hundreds running all over 18th century England, Scotland, France and North America and regularly either running into or just missing each other, the minutiae of daily life is often recorded in tedious detail (see the 300-page wedding party in book 5 or 6, I forget which), and yet...

Somehow I keep coming back, and so do thousands of other readers.

I think fans are primarily female, possibly because of the heavy romantic plot threads, although it has blood, guts and war enough to satisfy the boys as well, I would think - from the battle of Culloden to the American War of Independence, with side trips into piracy on the High seas and slave rebellions in the West Indies.

It's a masive, sprawling thing, and has spawned a subsidiary series of historical spy/mystery thrillers featuring one of the secondary characters in the main opus, Lord John Grey. And yet, there's something about it that compells me to keep reading.

Has anyone else either read the damned series and gotten hooked, or alternately, tried it and tossed it away from sheer boredom and plot bunny overload?

I'm on the last of the trilogy now. Should have it finished tonight and still have time to start The Passage.
    So far the zombie trilogy has been pretty good stuff.

I love books

I have the beginnings of a good library at home, approx 800-1200 books so far

Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Raymond Feist - Love them all
    Anne McCaffrey
    Terry Brooks
    Robin Hobb
    Sara Douglass
    Maggie Furey
    Mercedes Lackey

Sci-Fi

E.E "Doc" Smith - Favourite Sci-fi without a doubt
    Most of the Star Wars EU
    Asimov
    Ben Bova
    Roger MacBride Allen
    Philip K Di.ck
    Poul Anderson
    Various anthologies

Medical Fiction

Robin Cook

Action

Clive Cussler - have most of these
    Lee Child - only 5 so far
    Vince Flynn - about 10 so far. Addictive!

Just finished two Vince Flynn books and Lee Child and Clive Cussler books I picked up from the markets 4 near new books for $20. Gotta love it But unfortunately only lasted two weeks.... need MOAR!
    Last edited by morgasshk; 05-03-2013 at 03:56 AM.