Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I like to read, how about you?

I don't think I've posted this here...

http://perf.hpmor.com/

If you like Harry Potter, science fiction, or just great books in general, you'll probably like this. It's hilarious, thought-provoking, and is full of references to all sorts of science fiction and fantasy series.

If you haven't read Harry Potter (shame on you) you can still enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaynay View Post
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You're a ******* idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ANSWER IS.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)
    S1- Trannysaurusrex- 7RU (the awesome wing)
    S1- Inshallah. It be but the will of God.

No neg coords for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaman43 View Post
    I don't think I've posted this here...

http://perf.hpmor.com/

If you like Harry Potter, science fiction, or just great books in general, you'll probably like this. It's hilarious, thought-provoking, and is full of references to all sorts of science fiction and fantasy series.

If you haven't read Harry Potter (shame on you) you can still enjoy it.
    I've only read two chapters, but it's hilarious! Thank you for posting about it.

Edit (one day later): now on Chapter 31 and still enjoying it. This is one of the best fanfics I've ever read in any fandom. As Tuna said, hilarious and thought-provoking. And much more conscious of the complexity of human motivations, ambitions and ethical awareness than Rowling's original texts.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 06-22-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Reviving this thread.

1. Go read HPMOR!!! The latest chapters have been utterly fantastic.

2. I've been reading a few books lately. Honestly, none have really been my favorites, but they've all been interesting.

The first is We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It's 1984 before 1984. A dystopian future run on mathmatics, with no irregularity allowed. The plot's a little cliched so far, but I think that might be because future dystopian novels like 1984 and Brave New World purposefully imitated it. It's well worth a read, although I'm not sure if the Mirra Ginsburg translation is the best. Some of the dialog is a little wooden.

I've also been reading The Invisible Man, By H.G. Wells. Not my favorite Wells story, but decent enough.

Then I've been reading The Best Russian Short Stories. It's free on Amazon Cloud Reader. The stories are of varying qualities, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Also reread Ender's Shadow a few days ago. It's not quite as good as the original, but it does offer an entertaining perspective on Ender's Game.

Edit: Read this over the last couple of days as well. Worth checking out if you're an Avatar fan, if only to disagree with.

http://avatarreviews.wordpress.com/reviews/
    Last edited by tunaman43; 07-03-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    You're a ******* idiot.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)

No neg coords for me.

I just remembered Robert Rankin. He bloody rocks. I realised that I'd only read about half of his stuff too... so now I know what I'm doing for the next wee while.

I'm reading The Name Of The Wind. Great stuff.

I must read Zamyatin's We again. It's been years, and I can barely remember how it goes. I think I have an ebook of it somewhere in my collection....

After I finish several recently released books that I've been waiting for though.

Just in the past few weeks, Elizabeth Moon, Deborah J. Ross (writing in the Darkover universe created by Marion Zimmer Bradley), and Kevin Hearne have all released books that are part of series I havecbeen reading faithfully.

Actually, I have a cornucopia of new books to read. My partner and I exchange gifts at Midwinter (Christmas) and the summer solstice, and I received a fine batch of books this solstice:

Ellen ​Klages - ​In the House of ​the ​Seven ​Librarians
    Gwyneth Jones - Spirit, or the Princess of Bois Dormant
    Jennifer ​Pelland - ​Machine
    Kage ​Baker - ​Nell ​Gwynne's ​On ​Land ​and At ​Sea
    L. ​Timmel ​Duchamp - Never ​at ​Home
    Rebecca ​J. ​Holden ​(ed) - ​Strange Matings: Science Fiction, Feminism, African American Voices, and Octavia E. Butler
    Sofia ​Samatar - A Stranger in ​Olondria
    Andrea ​Hairston - ​Redwood ​and Wildfire
    Brit Mandelo - ​We Wuz ​Pushed: On Joanna Russ and Radical Truth-Telling
    Chelsea Quinn Yarbro - ​Commedia ​della ​Morte
    Connie Wilkins (ed.) ​Heiresses of ​Russ 2012
    Elizabeth Bear - Garrett Investigates
    Last edited by Meherrin; 07-03-2013 at 01:17 AM.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Consul

So, I've caught up with the books on my reading list and am now ready for something new. I'd really like something of the quality and epic scope of Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time.

After a little Google search, it seems I might enjoy the following. Has anyone read any of them? If so, what are your thoughts?

The Godless World by Brian Ruckley
    The Black Company by Glenn Cook
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
    Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
    The Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson

I was also thinking about giving Tad Williams another whirl. I started his Otherland series and only got about 3/4 through the first book.

So, am I headed in a good direction here?

I am very particular about the books I decide to invest my time in. I am not at all adventurous when it comes to this and do not want to blindly pick through the mountains of fantasy books, most of which I'm sure will impress me as nothing more that cheap, pulp trash of the sort that perpetually works to keep the fantasy genre in the Realm of Geekdom.

EDIT: Dan, I just now saw that you're reading The Name of the Wind. Worth checking out based on what I wrote above?
    Last edited by jdurand; 07-03-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Yes. Oh yes.
    Hard to properly describe the book. Arabian Nights meets Harry Potter? That doesn't quite do it justice, but this is wonderful stuff here.
    I have the second of the trilogy as well, as I am almost done with the first. The third comes out next year, I think.
    I've read the first of The Thomas Covenant series and it was very good, but I've never gone back to read the rest oddly enough.
    Have you read any of Joe Abercrombie?

Consul

No, but his name popped up in some of the Google searching I did.

I am a relative newcomer to the fantasy genre though I've always loved the genre in movies and games (I was a D&D player back when we created characters on paper and used painted little pewter figurines to represent them). Like most everyone else, I read Tolkien and CS Lewis as a kid, but only sporadically dabbled in it otherwise. I picked up the first three books of Wheel of Time a number of years back and fell in love.

I had only the vaguest awareness of Game of Thrones prior to Season 1 of the series on HBO, but then devoured the 5 books immediately. Martin and Tolkien are really the benchmarks by which I find myself comparing other people's works. Not necessarily in content, but in the richness of the character development and the degree to which I feel drawn into the world the author is trying to create.

I played D&D decades ago and about a year and a half ago turned my sons on to it. They love it.

Abercrombie is dark and gritty like Game of Thrones but not as nearly political. Start with The First Law series and you'll know if you want to read any more of his work.

The Name of the Wind is a little dark but the man works words like a master and I'd never heard of him before. Pace is slower by far than Abercrombie but he grips your short hairs and takes you along.

As far as Martin goes, his last 2 books were a little uneven because of how much was happening at once with so many characters in so many countries. The next should be tighter and the last should be orgasmic.

Consul

Darker is good (I like my characters deviously flawed, but irresistibly likeable). I'll check him out.

As for Game of Throne goes, I agree. After everything that happened in book 3, books 4 and 5 were insanely mild by comparison. I enjoyed the continued character development though and the end of book 5 left me pretty shaken.

And, yeah, I miss D&D a lot. Computer games are fun and all, but there's something about sitting with a group of friends around a table with sodas and snack food, letting the imagery of the game develop in your mind. A lot of that depending on the story-telling prowess of the DM though.
    Last edited by jdurand; 07-03-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Darker is good (I like my characters deviously flawed, but irresistibly likeable). I'll check him out.

As for Game of Throne goes, I agree. After everything that happened in book 3, books 4 and 5 were insanely mild by comparison. I enjoyed the continued character development though and the end of book 5 left me pretty shaken.

And, yeah, I miss D&D a lot. Computer games are fun and all, but there's something about sitting with a group of friends around a table with sodas and snack food, letting the imagery of the game develop in your mind. A lot of that depending on the story-telling prowess of the DM though.
    Heh. Abercrombie knows how to do flawed characters. That's all I'll say about that.
    I was pretty surprised how quickly my sons got into the game. We're doing 4th edition, which I think sucks compared to 2nd edition which was my favorite.
    But they get really emotionally involved. They are both huge video game players but will drop the paddles in a heart beat when it comes time to play a session.

I found the Thomas Covenant books depressingly.... Depressing. The POV character (to avoid too many spoilers) has a medical condition which is used to underscore a kind of passivity and paralysis of the will/conscience in a way that I found to be both annoying and ultimately off-putting.

On the other hand, very cool giants.

If you are looking for complex fantasy series with flawed characters and vast scope and stuff like that, may I recommend Michelle West's Sun Sword series. And anything by Glenda Larke.

Edit: and I should note that I have just finished reading books 4 and 5 of GRR Martin's opus. Damn, almost everyone is presumed dead at this point. I'm kind of getting tired of trying to figure out who's dead... oh, surprise, they're not, and who's really dead.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 07-03-2013 at 05:57 AM.

If Books 4 and 5 weren't mild in comparison to Book 3, the continent would have been left a burnt out nuclear wasteland, with Hodor and Bran narrating as they trudge south. It would have been The Road, basically.
    You're a ******* idiot.

No neg coords for me.

"Hodar? Hodar hodar. Hodar, hodar hodar hoooooooodar."

If Books 4 and 5 weren't mild in comparison to Book 3, the continent would have been left a burnt out nuclear wasteland, with Hodor and Bran narrating as they trudge south. It would have been The Road, basically.
    Instead, it was On The Road, only without the drugs or the jazz. With corpses.

On The Road With Corpses. Sounds like a fun vampire or zombie novel.
    You're a ******* idiot.

No neg coords for me.

So, friends. Last night I read the latest installment in the Darkover series, created by Marion Zimmer Bradley and now being ably continued by Deborah Ross. Easy reading, good fun. So, what should I read next? I'm hovering between:

Hunted, by Kevin Hearne - Latest in the absolutely hilarious and action-filled Iron Druid Chronicles series

Trio of Sorcery, by Mercedes Lackey - three new novellas, one featuring Diana Tregarde and one featuring Jennifer Talldeer, both great characters that Lackey has written far too little about

Commedia della Morte, by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro - Yarbro's vampire hero, the Count Saint Germain, faces Betrayal, danger and the true death in Revolutionary France

Garrett Investigates, by Elizabeth Bear - Short story collection featuring Abigail Irene Garrett, forensic sorcerer

Consul

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Edit: and I should note that I have just finished reading books 4 and 5 of GRR Martin's opus. Damn, almost everyone is presumed dead at this point. I'm kind of getting tired of trying to figure out who's dead... oh, surprise, they're not, and who's really dead.
    One only needs to go to the Appendices to see the roll-call of each House and its affiliated characters (bannermen, hired hands, etc). It lists who is dead up to that point.

I wonder what the plans are for Rickon and Osha...or is Martin done with them (that wouldn't be entirely outside the realm of possibility). We haven't heard a peep since they parted with Bran and the others.
    Last edited by jdurand; 07-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Hunted, by Kevin Hearne - Latest in the absolutely hilarious and action-filled Iron Druid Chronicles series
    This one. Sounds pretty interesting and I may hunt it down!

I wonder what the plans are for Rickon and Osha...or is Martin done with them (that wouldn't be entirely outside the realm of possibility). We haven't heard a peep since they parted with Bran and the others.
    Rickon was getting boring with his incessant whining. I have a feeling he'll be back in the last book but right now, there isn't much to do with him.

They were mentioned near the end of Book 5. Someone is going to get them and install Rickon as Lord of Winterfell.
    You're a ******* idiot.

No neg coords for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    This one. Sounds pretty interesting and I may hunt it down!
    The first in the series is Hounded and they are all great fun. See, the lead character is a 2000 year old Druid hiding out from an angry god who wants his magic sword back. And he has this wise-cracking dog....

Rickon was getting boring with his incessant whining. I have a feeling he'll be back in the last book but right now, there isn't much to do with him.
    Well, I think Rickon has pretty much got to end up restoring the House of Stark. Because it seems to be a male primogeniture inheritance system in Westeros (except for Dorne), and Robb is dead, and Bran is turning into a tree, and Jon is a) a *******, b) part of the Black Watch, c) possibly the third head of the dragon if speculation about his true parentage is correct and d) possibly dead. And we don't want Littlefinger getting his hands in Winterfell via Sansa anyway, and who knows what Arya will be getting into next. So it's got to be Rickon at the end.

Edit: Jon is illegitimate. Filter is silly.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 07-03-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Tries counting how many spoilers she just let loose in one sentence

Tries counting how many spoilers she just let loose in one sentence
    Well, yeah, but the fifth book has been out for two years now, anyone who's really into the series will have read it by now. You can't talk about a book without spoiling it.

Oh, then no need for me to be vague then.

Lord Manderly sent Davos to find Osha and Rickon. They're on the island of Skavos, which is full of cannibals. Yay!

Also Meherrin's post gave me a thought. What if the end of the last book jumps forward several thousand years, to the next time the Others are rising? And everything is basically the same. The Starks still rule the North. Bran, the new tree guy, is dying. The Dothraki have crossed the narrow sea, like the Andals did, and mixed with the Westerosi. The events of the books have fallen into legends, with few of the characters remembered. I'm not sure if that would be infuriating or amazing. But it would really fit what the books say about time. Wrong series, but all this has happened before...
    You're a ******* idiot.

No neg coords for me.

Sounds too close to how Stephen King ended the Dark Tower series and I'd end up throwing my collection out the window - which would irritate the hell out of anyone passing by.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Sounds too close to how Stephen King ended the Dark Tower series and I'd end up throwing my collection out the window - which would irritate the hell out of anyone passing by.

I couldn't get past the second story in that series....
    Players I have been in past:

http://www.gettertools.com/s7.travia...201-AIRforce03

http://www.gettertools.com/ts4.travi...28618-biambi28

http://www.gettertools.com/ts5.travi.../9304-biambi79

I had a blast but must take a break for RL. Hope to see fellow teammates in future.

The Drawing of The Three? That was my favorite out of the entire collection
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

The Drawing of The Three? That was my favorite out of the entire collection
    Yeah. I kind of slowed down on Gunslinger...I think that I grew too attached to the kid. And, I was incredibly upset that it ended the way that it did. I might pick it back up and see if I can read it. I couldn't get past the second chapter. Maybe if I make it past that chapter, it becomes more intriguing? Even though he was my favorite author growing up, there a few that I just can't finish. Lisey's Story is one of those that I finished just to finish the book. But, I won't pick it back up, ever.
    Players I have been in past:

http://www.gettertools.com/s7.travia...201-AIRforce03

http://www.gettertools.com/ts4.travi...28618-biambi28

http://www.gettertools.com/ts5.travi.../9304-biambi79

I had a blast but must take a break for RL. Hope to see fellow teammates in future.

Reading the Name of the Wind. OMG so good. Kvothe is hilarious.
    You're a ******* idiot.

No neg coords for me.

I've heard so many good things about Rothfuss, I am obviously going to have to read these books.

There are too many good books.

Do you realise that I have over 500 unread books (paper and electronic) either on my TBR shelves or my ipad that I haven't had time to read yet? And I keep adding more? This is like drowning in ambrosia.

I know, right? Grabs you hard and won't let go. I'm almost done with it.

I've heard so many good things about Rothfuss, I am obviously going to have to read these books.

There are too many good books.

Do you realise that I have over 500 unread books (paper and electronic) either on my TBR shelves or my ipad that I haven't had time to read yet? And I keep adding more? This is like drowning in ambrosia.
    Mine isn't as large, but I know what you mean. It's especially annoying with books you kind of want to read, but you know won't be as interesting as other options. I've had The Trial by Kafka on my shelf for a long time, but every time I go to read it I find something that looks more immediately interesting.
    You're a ******* idiot.

No neg coords for me.

You think your To Be Read shelf is nagging you, try out a To Be Written shelf ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Apprentice View Post
    You think your To Be Read shelf is nagging you, try out a To Be Written shelf ...
    I had one when I was younger, but after trying to write a great many things, I reluctantly acknowledged to myself that I was not much of a writer, and found another use for the shelf.

I did write a Star trek fanfic play once that was performed at a convention here in Toronto, and at least no one walked out, so I suppose it was a minor success (the script is available on the web so if anyone wants to torment themselves by reading it, PM me for the url).

These days, I mostly just write Travian-themed faux-Anglo-Saxon style poetry.

55 posts
    Considering you are the one, the sole one, responsible for my being on the forums, you really should post more!

edit: Just finished The Name of the Wind, racing through the final pages cuz my girlfriend ran out of books to read. Awesome ending, making me wanna pick up the second immediately.
    She went to bed 10 minutes before I finished
    Last edited by Dan Chak; 07-06-2013 at 03:09 AM.

55 posts
    Considering you are the one, the sole one, responsible for my being on the forums, you really should post more!

edit: Just finished The Name of the Wind, racing through the final pages cuz my girlfriend ran out of books to read. Awesome ending, making me wanna pick up the second immediately.
    She went to bed 10 minutes before I finished
    Yeh, I finished earlier today too. The last sentence depressed the hell out of me.

And I laughed out loud at the "I want a pony!" lines. I'm not sure why that was so hilarious, it just was.
    You're a ******* idiot.

No neg coords for me.

I just finished re-reading "The Stars My Destination" for the first time in more than 30 years. I'd forgotten almost everything but the Burning Man on the Spanish Stairs in Rome and Gully Foyle scrambling to fill his air tanks on the wreckage of the Nomad. It was all as fresh and crisp as if it had been written yesterday. (Did you know Alfred Bester wrote the Green Lantern oath?)

I just finished re-reading "The Stars My Destination" for the first time in more than 30 years. I'd forgotten almost everything but the Burning Man on the Spanish Stairs in Rome and Gully Foyle scrambling to fill his air tanks on the wreckage of the Nomad. It was all as fresh and crisp as if it had been written yesterday. (Did you know Alfred Bester wrote the Green Lantern oath?)
    No, you cannot tempt me to revisit old loves when I have so many new books to sample.

I stumbled across a collection of Bester short stories last summer. Then I read the autographed first edition of "The Demolished Man" that I bought for a quarter at a library used book sale years ago. Then I hunted around the house for my copy of "The Stars My Destination" for a couple months. Then I broke down and ordered it on Amazon.