Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: I like to read, how about you?

I tried Homer's Iliad, but I couldn't get through the first three pages.
    Translated work doesn't sit well with me for masterpieces like this, but I'm not adept enough in English to read the original.
    So I gave up. Don't know if I'll ever read it in Dutch, though.

I'll stick to Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, Weis & Hickmann, and Dan Simmons if I want to read books written in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho NL View Post
    I tried Homer's Iliad, but I couldn't get through the first three pages.
    Translated work doesn't sit well with me for masterpieces like this, but I'm not adept enough in English to read the original.
    So I gave up. Don't know if I'll ever read it in Dutch, though.

I'll stick to Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, Weis & Hickmann, and Dan Simmons if I want to read books written in English.
    The original is actually in ancient Greek, so a translation directly from Greek into Dutch would probably be a much better reading experience for a native Dutch speaker. Translations into English often try to capture some of the poetics and style of the original, which means it is a highly mannered English, and thus harder for a non-native speaker of English to read.

I mean, look at two modern transactions of the opening lines into English verse:

Anger be now your song, immortal one,
    Akhilleus’ anger, doomed and ruinous,
    that caused the Akhaians loss on bitter loss
    and crowded brave souls into the undergloom,
    leaving so many dead men — carrion
    for dogs and birds; and the will of Zeus was done.
    (Tr. Robert Fizgerald)

Rage — Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus’ son Achilles,
    murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaeans countless losses,
    hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls,
    great fighters’ souls, but made their bodies carrion,
    feasts for the dogs and birds,
    and the will of Zeus was moving toward its end.
    (Tr. Robert ***les)

Edit: stupid filter. The name of the translator of the second example is spelled F,a,g,l,e,s - and if anyone wants to punish me for "evading" the filter in order to properly credit someone's work, go ahead.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 02-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I see your point, I think I've read the first one (it was such a long time ago) as the second is a bit better to understand for me.
    Dante's Inferno is also a dread to read in English, even though I got further with that one.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho NL View Post
    I see your point, I think I've read the first one (it was such a long time ago) as the second is a bit better to understand for me.
    Dante's Inferno is also a dread to read in English, even though I got further with that one.
    Dantes inferno is a headache for native English speakers too!
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

It's not easy in Italian either, just FYI

I'm reading Dante's Inferno now. It's so hard to read lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

More reports from the Hugo Nominations reading frenzy.

I've just begun reading Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit, and I'm so far completely blown away. Lee does the most amazing things in creating a universe in which mathematics is the underpinning of technology and religion, where the way that time is perceived - the calendars on which the various factions operate - affect how all these things interact. It's hard to describe, because it is a way of viewing the essential nature of the universe that is not at all how we tend to see it.

I was prepared somewhat for this, because Lee has done similar things in his short stories, but this is a quite alien worldview, and so far a very well written debut novel.

Anyway, if you are looking for a novel that presents an alien way of thinking as so totally natural that you're pages in before you go "waaaait a minute, what did that really mean?" - check out Ninefox Gambit.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Please forgive the double post, but....

Has anyone read any good books lately? I've got my Hugo nominations in and now I'm looking for something a little bit different.

So... I like to read. I read fantasy stuff mostly. Mostly, not all.

Right now I am rereading Soldier Dogs by Maria Goodavage since it is a shorter book and haven't read it in a while. I am waiting for the next Brandon Sanderson book to release so need something. Could always just restar the Wheel of Time series since I never finished it after Brandon Sanderson took it over. I heard that he was taking over the series after Robert Jordan passed away, looked into him, bought the Mistborn trilogy and have barely read a book since that was not his (Brandons). :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsier View Post

Right now I am rereading Soldier Dogs by Maria Goodavage since it is a shorter book and haven't read it in a while. I am waiting for the next Brandon Sanderson book to release so need something. Could always just restar the Wheel of Time series since I never finished it after Brandon Sanderson took it over. I heard that he was taking over the series after Robert Jordan passed away, looked into him, bought the Mistborn trilogy and have barely read a book since that was not his (Brandons). :P
    I hadn't read anything by Sanderson until last year, when his novella Perfect State was nominated for the Hugos (major SFF book awards, fan-nominated and voted). I quite enjoyed it but haven't gotten around to reading anything else if his yet.

Bearing in mind that I tend to prefer books with, if not a female protagonist, at least some women who play prominent roles in the plot beyond being somebody's love interest, what book or books of his would you recommend I start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    I hadn't read anything by Sanderson until last year, when his novella Perfect State was nominated for the Hugos (major SFF book awards, fan-nominated and voted). I quite enjoyed it but haven't gotten around to reading anything else if his yet.

Bearing in mind that I tend to prefer books with, if not a female protagonist, at least some women who play prominent roles in the plot beyond being somebody's love interest, what book or books of his would you recommend I start with?
    Mistborn, Elantris, and/or Warbreaker.

Kelsier is my internet Sanderson buddy . By which I mean his username is my favorite character from Mistborn.

EDIT:
    The full text of Warbreaker should be available online, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Mistborn, Elantris, and/or Warbreaker.

Kelsier is my internet Sanderson buddy . By which I mean his username is my favorite character from Mistborn.

EDIT:
    The full text of Warbreaker should be available online, I think.
    Spoil me just a little - give me a bit of a blurb about each book, and I'll pick the one that sounds the most interesting.

Mistborn is a trilogy where Brandon Sanderson sets it up something like this:
    "You know how all those fantasy books have this great evil force and the good hero and there's this conflict and the good guys win, yay? What if you had a world like that but the bad guy won, and this happened a really long time ago, so the world has just lived under the rule of the bad guys for a while. Let's put a ragtag band of street thieves in this world and watch what they do -- maybe they'll produce a true hero."

Elantris was the book Sanderson wrote that put him on the scene. It was his debut into awesomeness. I read it much longer ago, but I'll do my best.
    "There's this spiritual thing that happens to some people where they gain these magic powers and are sent to this city called Elantris where they meet all these other people with the same magical powers. But something has gone wrong, and instead of being granted magic, people who are affected are cursed. They are still sent to Elantris, but it has become a prison. Also, there's a background of religious war between the people who rely on that magic and some other religion but Burn doesn't remember exactly how that fit in here. Anyway, some people get this curse and are sent into the city and lots of things happen from there."

Wabreaker
    "There are two cultures: one likes colors and the other is austere. (In fact, I think they worship the God of Austerity or something.) There was once war between them but now there is peace, is I think how it goes, but it requires this girl to be sent from the austere side to the color side, perhaps to marry the prince? I don't recall why. Anyway, you follow her exploits and some plots thicken and stuff happens."

I apologize for Elantris and Warbreaker -- it's been a while since I read them. Perhaps I should reread. They're all sitting on my shelf .

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsier View Post

Sanderson did a wonderful job of finishing The Wheel of Time, but if you like drinking games, take a shot every time he uses the word 'tempest.'
    I'm a huge, huge fan of Sanderon's tho.

Every story I've read of Sanderson's so far has included powerful, intelligent lead female characters - even if they aren't the main protagonist. The Mistborn trilogy has a female lead and is the first work of his own that I read after reading his finishing of TWoT. The story starts out with some very familiar tropes, but he has away of spinning everything you expect around and surprising you.
    One of the more interesting things about his books is that for each world, he creates a different type of 'magic' with it's own set of rules and abilities. Detailed down to the minutia with boundaries to be stretched and/or bent.
    He is also working on the mega-series that all fantasy authors dream of, but you may want to avoid that until it's actually done. Book 3 comes out this year (squee!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

I'm just rereading Way of Kings in anticipation of that release, Dan. I can't wait.

Just finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Wonderful book.
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

I'm just rereading Way of Kings in anticipation of that release, Dan. I can't wait.
    Way of Kings is my favorite of his. I've re-read it so many times.

Squeee!!!.jpg
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Mine too, although Mistborn 1 will always hold a place in my heart, as Kelsier is my favorite fictional character in any book, full stop.

But yeah, I shed several tears while reading Way of Kings. Very few books still do that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    One of the more interesting things about his books is that for each world, he creates a different type of 'magic' with it's own set of rules and abilities. Detailed down to the minutia with boundaries to be stretched and/or bent.
    He is also working on the mega-series that all fantasy authors dream of, but you may want to avoid that until it's actually done. Book 3 comes out this year (squee!!!!)
    His magic systems were the first thing that drew me into his books. Incredibly imaginative stuff and very detailed.

I might just reread the first 2 books in the series to prepare for the third. I have a very bad memory, that is why I skipped over explaining each book and story line, but love to read. :P

Mine too, although Mistborn 1 will always hold a place in my heart, as Kelsier is my favorite fictional character in any book, full stop.

But yeah, I shed several tears while reading Way of Kings. Very few books still do that for me.
    Kelsier 4 lyf yo! Read Arcanum Unbounded, very good "short" story about him in there. I say "short" cause I think it was 80+ pages. Can't tell you cause I let me brother borrow it last time I was in FL.

The Emperor's Soul!! It's a standalone novella Sanderson wrote, which Goodreads claims is in the Elantris universe (but is very, very loosely connected). Honestly it's my favorite among his works because at a certain point in many of his longer works he tends to get kind of preachy in conveying the critical "revelation" that marks a turning point. Halfway through the third Mistborn book, I reread his biography, saw that he is a practicing Mormon, and thought, "So many things suddenly make sense now."
    Last edited by Creep-er; 03-15-2017 at 03:39 AM.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Ok, with multiple suggestions on offer, I have decided that The Emperor's Soul and Mistborn it will be. Give the man two shots from two different worlds at entrancing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Just finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Wonderful book.
    I only recently heard about this. Slipped in under my radar, so to speak. Have been meaning to acquire it, I've liked everything of Gaiman's that I've read so far.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 03-15-2017 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creep-er View Post
    The Emperor's Soul!! It's a standalone novella Sanderson wrote, which Goodreads claims is in the Elantris universe (but is very, very loosely connected). Honestly it's my favorite among his works because at a certain point in many of his longer works he tends to get kind of preachy in conveying the critical "revelation" that marks a turning point. Halfway through the third Mistborn book, I reread his biography, saw that he is a practicing Mormon, and thought, "So many things suddenly make sense now."
    I never thought of the 'revelation' moments as preachy, really, but now that you've mentioned it, I have thought back on every major book I've read from hundreds of authors and they pretty much ALL have that preachy revelation thingy going on. Robert Heinlein got into writing science fiction so that he could get his politics across. Stephen King has done the good vs. evil in many of his larger books, with the preachy revelation being the spin.
    Interesting.

I never thought of the 'revelation' moments as preachy, really, but now that you've mentioned it, I have thought back on every major book I've read from hundreds of authors and they pretty much ALL have that preachy revelation thingy going on. Robert Heinlein got into writing science fiction so that he could get his politics across. Stephen King has done the good vs. evil in many of his larger books, with the preachy revelation being the spin.
    Interesting.
    Preachy is fine to me, but only if it's dressed up in a costume that fits the story's setting and pace. I don't want to insert Mistborn spoilers, but Sazed's revelation did NOT sit well with me. In fact, once he made it, I felt as though Sanderson had set up Sazed's entire character for that one "final message" of the original trilogy. I can only forgive that sort of strategem in Young Adult novels.

I feel the reverse about these -- Emperor's Soul didn't seem plausible to me, but Sazed did.

That's my usual criteria; you get to insert some message if it is *believable* in context. I believed Sazed as a real character.

I feel the reverse about these -- Emperor's Soul didn't seem plausible to me, but Sazed did.

That's my usual criteria; you get to insert some message if it is *believable* in context. I believed Sazed as a real character.
    Oh, I did find Sazed's change of heart believable. The passages following that felt like a heavy handed attempt to open up the reader's mind to that same revelation.

Messages CAN be conveyed without being preached, and I feel that Sanderson didn't quite make it past that line. Instead of being handed a conclusion, I'd rather be allowed my own takeaways, independent from whatever changes or revelations that the characters experience. Especially in a fantasy novel. Maybe it's just my pet peeve or interpretation of that part of the book.

I am just glad there are more Brandon Sanderson "fans" then I realized.

So, I've been reading for the Hugo nominations, and this year, there is a 'trial' category - Best Series. The nominees included a number of series that I hadn't read any books from, so I've been doing some catching up, trying to read at least two volunes from each of the series i didn't know.

Fortunately, two of the series - Naomi Novik's Temeraire novels and Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series - i've followed fairly faithfully and have read in their entirety.

The others were:

Seanan McGuire's October Daye urban fantasy series about a half-human, half-fae changeling who works as a private investigator but is also a knight of one of the faerie courts and hence gets to investigate mysteries and crime both human and not. I've read two books in the series, and if you like urban fantasy, it's among the better ones I've read.

James S. A. Corey's The Expanse series, which has been discussed before, here and in the thread about the TV series based on it. I've read one book in the series so far. It's solid hard sf space opera, with sine very interesting ideas and situations. Great fharacters, the writing so far is a bit pedestrian.

Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence - I've read two in the series so far and plan to keep reading. A very interesting world, where both magic and divine power are channelled, expressed and manifested through the language of legal contracts. It's a fairly common trope that magic, whether human or divine, is dependent on language, but most writers in this genre usually go for the 'let's use ancient languages from Latin to Sanskrit as the language of magic. Diane Duane challenged this by making the magical system in her Young Wizards books depend on a kind of fusion of symbolic logic and mathematics, and now Gladstone is using the concepts and language of contract law as the medium for manipulation of supernatural energy. Because there are gods, and there is also human magic, called Craft, Gladstone also looks at the conflicts and convergences of a faith-based system of magic and a technically-based system of magic. As you can tell, these books have grabbed my attention despite there being no main character or setting that continues from one book to the next.

And the last of the nominated series is Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant novels. I'm half-way through the first one, and I'm liking it. It's urban fantasy again, but this time of the 'secret police unit charged with investigating supernatural crimes' subgenre. It's set in London, and Grant is a probationary constable who's been spotted by the only sorcerer on the force as a possible apprentice.

So far, all the series have their strengths - and weaknesses. But it's been fun exploring new worlds. That's part of the fun of the Hugos for me - there's always books nominated that I probably would not have picked up otherwise, and sometimes I find wonderful new things among them.

American Gods by Gaiman is another great book. Just finished it.
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

American Gods by Gaiman is another great book. Just finished it.
    It is. Are you going to watch the TV series they're making of it? First episode aired this past Sunday. Gaiman is heavily involved in the production, from what I've read, and certainly the first episode was fairly faithful to the book.

If you liked American Gods, you might also enjoy Gaiman's Ananzi Boys - it's not a sequel, but it follows up on Mr. Nancy, and it's got the same sort of ideas behind it,

Saw the first episode of American Gods. Good stuff.

I often don't like or I am skeptical about book adaptations. But I will give it a go. Lets hope it does justice to the book.
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

I often don't like or I am skeptical about book adaptations. But I will give it a go. Lets hope it does justice to the book.
    My partner and I watched the first episode (we are both fans of Gaiman's work and of American Gods) and thought it was well-done and captured the essence of the novel very well. We are looking forward to watching more.

The actor who plays Shadow got fired from the show The 100 and was seriously mad about it. In my opinion, he took one heck of a step up.

The actor who plays Shadow got fired from the show The 100 and was seriously mad about it. In my opinion, he took one heck of a step up.
    I thought his work in the first episode was excellent. Won't see the second episode til tomorrow.... But am very impatient.

I'm currently reading "Blockchain: Blueprint for a New Economy" by Melanie Swan.

It's about blockchains or basically online collective registries. A kind of dencentralized database that is used for cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, but can also be used to counter government censorship - for instance, information can be decentralized making it more difficult for a government to censor. Blockchains could potentially have numerous applications in the comming years, which makes this book interesting.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I'm currently reading "Blockchain: Blueprint for a New Economy" by Melanie Swan.

It's about blockchains or basically online collective registries. A kind of dencentralized database that is used for cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, but can also be used to counter government censorship - for instance, information can be decentralized making it more difficult for a government to censor. Blockchains could potentially have numerous applications in the comming years, which makes this book interesting.
    I had an interesting conversation with my geek son about this stuff a couple of years ago. It is hard to get my head around, but is clearly a very likely disrupter. I might try to read it. And, in an associated vein, Our finance reporting is giving bitcoin in the currency lists in the nightly news. Well the public broadcaster did last night anyway. Pity I sold out last year.....
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

I'm reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and it's a good read. Too wordy but I can manage lol
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

I just finished reading the first collected volume of the new Black Panther comic written by Ta-Nehisi Coates. I'm not a big graphic novel enthusiast, but I'd been looking forward to seeing what a writer like Coates would do with the character and story.

It's interesting. Rather than do a full reboot, he has taken all the things that different writers have done both with the character and with the fictional country of Wakanda, and turned it into a story about governance and the appropriate relationship between rulers and the people. I found it fascinating - a story about massive civil unrest, a ruling class cut off from the needs of the people and an absolute ruler who wants to help his peoole and country but has been an exile for so long he had no idea how to do it.

Sadly, the series has been cancelled - and i suppose I understand why, it's not the most superhero-like of themes and plots - but i'm still planning on acquiring the rest if the series up to its cancelation just to see where Coates was taking the character.

I've been reading more graphic novels lately - i'm reading the fifth collected volume of Ms. Marvel right now, Super Famous, which is interesting because if its take on urban gentrification.

And one of the best graphic novels I've read in a long time is Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening, written by Marjorie Liu, illustrated by Sana Takeda. Absolutely beautiful artwork, very interesting story.

I didn't read many graphic novels for a long time, I'm now glad I'm getting back into them.

Intrepid saga is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.