Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I like to read, how about you?

Just finished reading the Toaster Project. It's about an art students journey to make a toaster from the rawest of raw components.

My current (non-vocational oriented) book is Lost Victories by Erich von Manstein. I hope that it is as fascinating a read as Heinz Guderians post war auto-biography was.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Ending to the zombie trilogy was 'eh'. Was a nice distraction all in all but the ending wasn't what it could have been.
    The Passage has me by the short hairs with the first two chapters.

Consul

Dan, I do hope you enjoy The Passage. I thoroughly did.

Keep in mind it is a trilogy (The Twelve has been published but not the last book).

I hear it's being made into a movie. Hope they do better with it than they seem to have done with World War Z

I had read it was a trilogy. Didn't order the second book yet because I wanted to make sure I liked the first, first.
    Some haunting **** in those first 100 pages.

Read some reviews of The Passage. Sounds interesting. I do like apocalyptic fiction and vampires. Put them together, and I'm very likely to try it.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I just re-read the Ender's game main series. Was a completely different story, given that I was ~10-11 when I first read the books and didn't understand Speaker for the Dead at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Consul

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Read some reviews of The Passage. Sounds interesting. I do like apocalyptic fiction and vampires. Put them together, and I'm very likely to try it.
    Don't picture them as Vampire Lestat type vampires though. These are not your Anne Rice kind of creatures.

Here's a surprisingly good first book: Alex by Adam J Nicolai

It was offered free from Kindle a few months ago and my husband read it and said I should too. I was pleasantly surprised as often times those free books on Kindle aren't all that great.
    The ORIGINALCisalpine! Retired

http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=95436 for the Awesome Natar Win
    http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=93085 For US S1 history

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Don't picture them as Vampire Lestat type vampires though. These are not your Anne Rice kind of creatures.
    Oh, don't worry, I'm open to a very wide range of interpretations of the vampiric concept. Science fiction has rung a great many changes on that theme.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I just re-read the Ender's game main series. Was a completely different story, given that I was ~10-11 when I first read the books and didn't understand Speaker for the Dead at all.
    I'm 18 and I still don't get what the **** he's talking about in Children of the Mind sometimes.

Reading a People's History of the United States and Invisible Man. Liking both so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaynay View Post
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You're a ******* idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ANSWER IS.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)
    S1- Trannysaurusrex- 7RU (the awesome wing)
    S1- Inshallah. It be but the will of God.

No neg coords for me.

Just finished Leviathan Wakes and ordered the next two of the series.
    Would have ordered them sooner but I had no idea they were already done

Yes, I love to read. I have read over a thousand books in my entire life. I just finished the Sookie Stackhouse Novels. The final book came out at the beginning of May called Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris. She is one of my favorite authors.

I also just recently finished The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan. It is about two mercenaries named Royce and Hadrian. It is set up like fantasy historical fiction. They start off by assisting a young girl back to her village to defeat a creature. It is a three book series now. It is really a great read, IMO.

My favorite genre is Young Adult fantasy/sci fi. I am not into too much romance or too much hot and steamy books.

But, I love to write also.
    Last edited by biambi28; 06-18-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: fixed for clarity
    Players I have been in past:

http://www.gettertools.com/s7.travia...201-AIRforce03

http://www.gettertools.com/ts4.travi...28618-biambi28

http://www.gettertools.com/ts5.travi.../9304-biambi79

I had a blast but must take a break for RL. Hope to see fellow teammates in future.

Consul

Quote Originally Posted by biambi28 View Post
    I just finished the Sookie Stackhouse Novels.
    Quote Originally Posted by biambi28
    I am not into romance or hot and steamy books.
    Aren't those the books True Blood is based on? Not into hot and steamy?

Haven't read any of the Stackhouse books, but if the show is in any way near to the books, there's hot, steamy and blood and gore and pure craziness.
    I've wanted to try the first book for a while now, see if it matches up.

They are based on the books. The books are not as hot and steamy as the show. There are hot and steamy scenes but not as much as say...The Black Dagger Brotherhood series. There are actually a lot of different things that happen in TB and the series. I was referring to the books that based around hot and steamy. They bore me because they are so predictable.

Actually, a lot of people assume that the series of TB go off the books a lot. But, there are plenty of changes.

P.S. I fixed my previous post for clarity.

@ Dan You should try the books. I hear that they are better than the series. I wouldn't really know since I stopped watching TB at the end of the first series. I personally loved them and I am sad that it has ended.
    Last edited by biambi28; 06-18-2013 at 03:26 AM.

I had a blast but must take a break for RL. Hope to see fellow teammates in future.

Consul

You should try the books. I hear that they are better than the series. I wouldn't really know since I stopped watching TB at the end of the first series.
    No thanks. I'm pretty much over the whole vampire thing. "The Passage" trilogy being the only current exception, but those aren't your True Blood/Twilight vampires.

No thanks. I'm pretty much over the whole vampire thing. "The Passage" trilogy being the only current exception, but those aren't your True Blood/Twilight vampires.

Never heard of them. I might check them out. I am currently trying to find a new series. Um, I know a self published writer that wrote a series called Fang that is also not Twilight/True Blood vampy. However, I don't really compare Sookie's vamps with Twilight. LOL.

Oh, I forgot. I ran across a series a few months ago on Amazon. It is called the The Descendants Trilogy by Myandree Michel. They are about the descendants of gods/goddesses. I read half of the book before I remembered that I needed to finish my series that I was on. So, I am looking forward to finish that one.

Oh, and Sookie Stackhouse novels does have a lot of vampires in it but it is about others as well. You would be surprised at the amount of difference. I only know of the differences hearing my friends talk about it.
    Last edited by biambi28; 06-18-2013 at 03:35 AM.

True Blood vampires don't 'twinkle' nor stand around affecting poses. Twilight bored the living daylights out of me. Read half of the first book at my future ex-wife's recommendation.
    TB is some gruesome stuff. Turns vampires back into the monsters they should be.

Consul

It is called the The Descendants Trilogy by Myandree Michel. They are about the descendants of gods/goddesses.
    Like Percy Jackson type descendants?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    True Blood vampires don't 'twinkle' nor stand around affecting poses. Twilight bored the living daylights out of me. Read half of the first book at my future ex-wife's recommendation.
    TB is some gruesome stuff. Turns vampires back into the monsters they should be.
    No, Lafeyette does enough twinkling for the entire cast.

The HBO series I'm good with, but I've just had no interest in reading the books.

I don't know, maybe I'm not particularly enamored with genre. Also, the books strike me as having been largely targeted toward "50 Shades of Gray" female types. Admittedly, that is not based on first-hand knowledge as I have not read so much as one page of either book series.
    Last edited by jdurand; 06-18-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Like Percy Jackson type descendants?

No, Lafeyette does enough twinkling for the entire cast.

The HBO series I'm good with, but I've just had no interest in reading the books.

I don't know, maybe I'm not particularly enamored with genre. Also, the books strike me as having been largely targeted toward "50 Shades of Gray" female types. Admittedly, that is not based on first-hand knowledge as I have not read so much as one page of either book series.
    Haven't read Shades of Grey so I couldn't tell you. But, Sookie has lots of drama and she is a tough cookie.

As far as The Descendants....kind of but not really. It starts off with a normal teenage girl named Cordelia having a romantic night out with a boy just before were wolf like creatures come chasing her. She climbs the tree and watches him battle the were wolves and, just before they kill them both, he sprays water and drowns them. The next day, she ends up dying and finds out the truth about her self. The boy of her dreams takes her back to the 1800's, I think, and revives her because that is where she belonged. She struggles to accept her role as Empress and has no powers. But, she needs to get them soon because the guy that killed her is still after her and has come back to the past also. So, that's where I am at.

Some genres aren't for everyone. I can do romance and hot and steamy but not bodice rippers, as my mom would say. That is what I was referring to earlier.

Oh and it sounds like the Lafayette character is the same. Sookie's character is different, I hear. Something about fairy blood and healing vampires....doesn't happen in the books.
    Last edited by biambi28; 06-18-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Lafayette is awesome. The actor rocks that role

I do like (some) vampire fiction, but for some reason I've never gotten into the Stackhouse novels. And just based on what I've heard from other people, I'm not even going to try to read the Twilight novels.

My all-time favourite vampire series is by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. She's written over 20 welll-researched historical novels featuring a 4000-year-old vampire originally from the region now known as Transylvania. The character goes by many names, most of which are variations on Saint Germain or Ferenc Rakozy - the inspiration for the character having been the Count de Saint Germain, a historical figure of the mid-1700s who was known in the courts of Europe as a somewhat mysterious person, who on some occasions claimed to be the son of Francis (Ferenc) Rackozy II of Transylvania, and on others claimed to be a 500-year old alchemist who had discovered the secret of eternal life.

What I like is the idea of this one person being around, behind the scenes so that he is rarely recorded by history, but at the same time plays a small part in many key events of history. And of course the being a vampire thing.

I do like (some) vampire fiction, but for some reason I've never gotten into the Stackhouse novels. And just based on what I've heard from other people, I'm not even going to try to read the Twilight novels.

My all-time favourite vampire series is by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. She's written over 20 welll-researched historical novels featuring a 4000-year-old vampire originally from the region now known as Transylvania. The character goes by many names, most of which are variations on Saint Germain or Ferenc Rakozy - the inspiration for the character having been the Count de Saint Germain, a historical figure of the mid-1700s who was known in the courts of Europe as a somewhat mysterious person, who on some occasions claimed to be the son of Francis (Ferenc) Rackozy II of Transylvania, and on others claimed to be a 500-year old alchemist who had discovered the secret of eternal life.

What I like is the idea of this one person being around, behind the scenes so that he is rarely recorded by history, but at the same time plays a small part in many key events of history. And of course the being a vampire thing.
    Maybe you never were able to get into it because, the first few chapters, you think that Sookie is going to be a damsel in distress? It gets better, IMO. She does come off a little whiny, at first, about her telepathic gift. I almost started to put the book down but got drawn in towards the middle. *shrugs*

My ultimate favorite author is Stephen King. But, my last book that I read from him was Under the Dome when it first came out. I bought an e-reader a few years back and I have not stopped reading books on there. There is another vampire series out by S.J. Wright. They are from a self published author. They're okay. The first one is called Vampire's Warden and it's a little different. The main character realizes that her family is in charge of a bunch of vampires, etc. It's a new concept.

Oh,boy, I could ramble about books all day! LOL Sorry.

My ultimate favorite author is Stephen King. But, my last book that I read from him was Under the Dome when it first came out. I bought an e-reader a few years back and I have not stopped reading books on there.
    I don't think I could pick a favourite author, there are so many whose work I really love. Like you, I'm an avid reader - I read anywhere between 100 and 300 books a year, and somehow I still can never manage to read everything I'd like to.

Oh,boy, I could ramble about books all day! LOL Sorry.
    So could I - let's ramble!

Several other very diferent series that I've read lately featuring vampires are:

The Garnet Lacey series by Tate Hallaway - paranormal romance, she's a witch on the run from both the FBI and the Vatican with two very different vampire lovers

The Vampire Princess of St. Paul series, also by Tate Hallaway - YA paranormal romance, she's half-witch, half-vampire, and all teenager, with a destiny she doesn't really want.

The New Amsterdam series by Elizabeth Bear - sort of alternate history steampunk and sorcery, features the centuries-old wampyr Sebastien de Ulloa and his mortal companion, Lady Abigail Irene Garrett, forensic sorcerer.

Lafayette is awesome. The actor rocks that role
    Yeah, and Jason Stackhouse is hot.

The new episode is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.

My internet brings all the nerds to the yard, And there like, Its better than yours, Damn right its better than yours, I can share with you, But I have to charge!
    La la-la la la, I know Rok wants it! La la-la la la, and it's on Wifi! Imagine if I bothered to tether it! La la-la la la, nah nah nah nah nah! La la-la la la!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Yeah, and Jason Stackhouse is hot.

The new episode is amazing.
    How did you see the new one?? I didn't think it premiered until this upcoming Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by dan chak View Post
    how did you see the new one?? I didn't think it premiered until this upcoming sunday?
    s06e01?

I meant the season premiere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.

My internet brings all the nerds to the yard, And there like, Its better than yours, Damn right its better than yours, I can share with you, But I have to charge!
    La la-la la la, I know Rok wants it! La la-la la la, and it's on Wifi! Imagine if I bothered to tether it! La la-la la la, nah nah nah nah nah! La la-la la la!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    s06e01?

I meant the season premiere.
    Yes. I thought the season premiere was this upcoming Sunday. Was it last Sunday?

Yes. I thought the season premiere was this upcoming Sunday. Was it last Sunday?
    Yes.

I don't think I could pick a favourite author, there are so many whose work I really love. Like you, I'm an avid reader - I read anywhere between 100 and 300 books a year, and somehow I still can never manage to read everything I'd like to.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I was busy helping the tech team for my daughter's performance.

That is how I am. I never seem to get to all the books that I want to read so it is always something. I have been getting into self published books. It is so amusing to read the things that people come up with!

I say that he is my favorite author because I read mostly Stephen King while I was growing up. There wasn't one of his that I didn't pick up.

If you are interested in self published authors..Here are some thatI have read, that I like,

The Rae Wilder series by Penelope Fletcher- Rae is a human living in a world of supernaturals. There was once a barrier that protected the rest of the world from the knowledge of these creatures existence. Something happened to cause the veil to break and humans were nearly extinct. Rae is learning to be one of the ones responsible for killing the supernaturals. That is, until she went to far into forest. She gets lost and her world changes forever. Things are not always what they seem, as Rae soon finds out. There are six stories total.

Smolder by Penelope Fletcher- Marina watches as the creature falls out of the sky. She befriends a dragon, who she finds out is not what he seems. He can change to human form. He leaves her behind to go home and continue the festival to find his new Queen. Furious that he left her behind, she follows him. Now, she has to compete against other women to earn her right to be by his side. There is only one in this series but there is supposed to be more. However, no one has heard from this author in a while.

Die my Love by Penelope Fletcher- Lee sees a dark handsome man that she just can't forget. He comes to see her in her home and introduces her to a new world. A world where vampires and werewolves exist. The vampires are few because they only can change one person. And, it's time for a new chosen one. Will she be the one chosen?

Those books are about as far as hot and steamy that I will go.

Aries Fire- by Elaine Edelson: (taken from her synopsis)The Roman Empire,415 AD. Renowned scholar Hypatia of Alexandria is murdered leaving her 17 year old daughter, Seira, fleeing for her life. She's thrust into survival amidst the rise of the Catholic Papacy and savage Roman battles with the Huns. Her epic journey hurls Seira onto a never-ending precipice of conspiracy, war, passion, and mysticism. What Seira discovers can destroy a an empire.

The family Lies by Kara Thorpe- Viola grew up as a demon hunter. But, on her sixteenth birthday, her father disappeared. She learned later that he was possessed by a powerful demon that wants Viola as his princess. There is nothing that he will not do to have her rule the earth with him. There is nothing that she won't do to get her daddy back. There are a total of four books in this series.

Of course not listed vampire series that I have read is

House of Night by P.C. and Kristin Cast- I think these are okay to read. I mainly like them for the new spin on things. Zoey Redbird has been marked. Now, she must live in the House of Night and train to be a new Vampyre Priestess. But, can she defeat the evil brewing in the city of Tulsa?

Vampire Diaries-by L.J. Smith. Elena is the high schools most wanted girl. But, when a new guy comes into town people start dying. I am sure that you are familiar with that one though.

Vampire Kisses- Ellen Schreiber- Raven has always wanted to be a vampire. When the new guy comes to town, rumors fly that he is one. Intrigued, Raven wants to befriend him. I don't really like this series that much but my daughter loved it.

That's it for now.
    Last edited by biambi28; 06-19-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: oops sorry mods didn't see that word. It was the only description that I didn't use as my own. edited again for correction

What is it with a good book then they make it a series and you just don't read it. I really enjoyed aztec by Gary Jennings a long time ago, now there is a couple and his editor continued the series.
    Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach
    Stop tooting on flutes and go read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
    What is it with a good book then they make it a series and you just don't read it. I really enjoyed aztec by Gary Jennings a long time ago, now there is a couple and his editor continued the series.
    I don't know. I still read them. What I want to know is why Hollywood likes to destroy good books with movies? Most book adapted movies are disappointing for the person that read the book. However, there are books that I would love to see make the films. I already listed a few of those. I think that they will be better movies.

@biambi28....

I'm kind of picky about self-published authors. Some are great, some are just awful. I'm also picky about paranormal/urban fantasy - I read Hallaway's work because she published a really great science fiction series under her real name, Lyda Morehouse, before moving into the paranormal stuff.

That said, I am intrigued by the book you mentioned about Hypatia, and will have to go looking for it.

Here are two authors whose work I enjoy very much who were formerly published, but their new work hasn't found a publisher so they've gone the self-publishing route. Their books are available through Lulu.com.

1. Charles Saunders - African-Canadian writer, the first couple volumes of his African-based sword and sorcery epic, Imaro, were published in the 80s by DAW, but the series was torpedoed by a major marketing error. He finally finished the series a few years ago and is selling the later volumes, plus a series about a woman warrior inspired by the fighting women of Dahomey, on Lulu.

2. Patricia Keneally Morrison - she has traditionally published a number of books in her 'Celts in Space' series, The Keltiad, but is self-publishing a series of mysteries set in the rock and roll industry in the 60s. Morrison was one of the first women to make it as a Rock music journalist in the 60s, so it's an environment she knows well.

I don't blame you on pickiness. A lot of people don't get into self published readers. And you are right, some are just awful!!I just love to read and paranormal is my favorite.

Michael J Sullivan's books (Riyria Revelations) were originally self published but he was picked up by Orbit. His aren't paranormal but historical fiction/fantasy with Knights, mercenaries, thieves, princesses, bishops and monsters. I mentioned them in a previous post so I won't bore with the details again.

I read a lot of self published books. (About 100 or so a year)The ones that I mentioned are the ones that I feel mention worthy, though I believe that some of them may have grammatical errors. You know, it wasn't until after I started reading self published books that I noticed the errors in published books? Somehow, I just skip right through them unless it is incredibly noticeable. My favorite out of those is The Family Lies series by Kara Thorpe.

I was recommended to read the Black Dagger Brotherhood series and I just could not get into them. The first one was okay but I forced my self to read the next four before I quit altogether.

Have you ever heard of Mercedes Lackey? I love to read her Valdemar series. They came in three book series following a Herald whose job it is to defeat the evil trying to take over Valdemar. It usually starts out with them being chosen by their magical horses. There are a number of books in this series.

Also I enjoyed David Farland's Runelord series. The Earth is in pain and it chooses a new Earth King to help heal it and destroy the evil that is killing it. Will he be able to do it?

Gotta run! Helping with the set again today. I am excited as it is her first non-school related play. My husband saw a book on sale and bought it for me yesterday...Night Angel by Brent Weeks. Does anyone know if it is any good?
    Last edited by biambi28; 06-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Mercedes Lackey is one of my 'guilty pleasures' authors. I've read (or own and plan to read) almost everything she's written. Some of her books are rather formulaic - the Heralds of Valdemar series in particular, as she goes back to the same tropes, especially the one about the abused child with a great destiny,over and over again. But I've actually been impressed with both the original approach and the amount of social commentary she's worked into some ofher newer series, especially the Five Hundred Kingdoms and the Elementals series. She's doing some interesting things with re-working fairy tales - not quite up to the depth that, say, Tanith Lee or Jane Yolen or Catherine Valente have achieved, still quite interesting.

Robin Mckinley does remakes of some of the fairy tales also. I like Spindle's End and Beauty. I do plan to read Mercedes' new series but haven't made it there. Actually, I have to buy them because my library is dull and still only has her first two books. I didn't really like the last three of her Valdemar books, Winds of Fury, I think it was called.

Robin Mckinley does remakes of some of the fairy tales also. I like Spindle's End and Beauty. I do plan to read Mercedes' new series but haven't made it there. Actually, I have to buy them because my library is dull and still only has her first two books. I didn't really like the last three of her Valdemar books, Winds of Fury, I think it was called.
    Lackey has written two more trilogies set in the Valdemar of Queen Selenay and Herald Talia'a time, the Mage Storms trilogy and the Darien's Tale trilogy. She's also begun a series set in the very early days of the establishment of the Collegium.

I'd like to see more books set in the reign of Queen Selenay - she's set up sone interesting political situations with neighbouring countries and I keep wondering how those will develop.

I haven't made it to Darian's yet. I have read the Mage's Storms. That's the one that I was referring to. Just slipped my mind. I moved from big city to small town where the library isn't as stocked. I did manage to read the first of the Collegium series. <---- I think that is what it's called.

I enjoyed Queen Selanay and Talia was one of my favorite heralds. Though, I cried like a baby when her partner died and she was captured.

I've just finished Jamaica Inn written by Daphne du Maurier; if you look it online you might find it as ebook.

Quote Originally Posted by carla2013 View Post
    I've just finished Jamaica Inn written by Daphne du Maurier; if you look it online you might find it as ebook.
    I went through a huge du Maurier phase when I was young, read everything of hers I could find. Now yiu're making me think it might be time to re-read some of those books.

It's funny, lately (i.e., in the last few years) I've been re-reading a lot of books I read 20 to 30-odd years ago. Rosemary Sutcliff, Mary Stewart, Andre Norton, some early Margaret Atwood and Doris Lessing, Samuel Delany, Margaret Laurence, Jean Plaidy, Mary Renault, Agatha Christie, Suzette Haden Elgin, Kate Wilhelm's science fiction, Dorothy Sayers, Nevil Shute, Josephine Tey, James White, Theodore Sturgeon... Nostalgia? Wondering if the stuff I enjoyed as a girl/young woman has stood the test of time (answer, mostly yes but some more than others)?

Yeah, I think I'll check out du Maurier again too.