Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Python Huntin'

My duty is to the bribe!. RobinLocks's Avatar

Default Python Huntin'

I think most people are familiar with the Burmese python problem that's been a part of the Everglades for some time now. In short, these pythons can get to massive sizes (can reach 26 feet). The accidental or intentional release of these pythons (Different stories of how this became a problem. Believed to have originated when a storm hit a breeding facility and hatch-lings escaped. Also, people have been reported releasing these pets into the wild when they become too large to handle) has spawned a threat to the ecosystem. Their size and power makes them top predators, they've been seen taking on gators, and are posing a threat to many indigenous species in the area who aren't designed to survive such a threat. These snakes can, at adult size (reached by age 4), effortlessly kill children, dogs, coyotes,etc; They can quickly overpower human adults.

Now, efforts are being made by the scientific community to rid the Glades of these pythons, but the good ol' state of Florida is also doing it's part.

The 2013 Python Challenge

Kill Snakes; Acquire Money

This weekend, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission kicked off the 2013 Python Challenge in Davie, Florida, a smallish city near Fort Lauderdale. The Python Challenge registers python hunters and gives cash prizes to those who can gather the most--or the biggest--pythons.

. The Everglades is a quarter of its natural size and nowhere near as healthy as it should be. And the Burmese python is one of the worst invasive species in the entire country.

Nearly 800 people signed up for the month-long "Python Challenge" that started Saturday afternoon. The vast majority 749 are members of the general public who lack the permits usually required to harvest pythons on public lands.

PopSci

Huffington Post

The contest will last a month.

My thoughts: It's a beautiful creature, but some people do not deserve pets that can reach this sheer size and power. Owning such a pet comes with a great deal of responsibility, and needs both ample amounts of funding to meet their dietary and housing requirements and the skill and know-how to not get hurt when handling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Oh my god you're so perfect.
    [9:22:27 PM] Slippery: control what?
    [9:22:30 PM] Slippery: we all know you run **** Robin

I gone an' did something bad.

You want to go python hunting? That's crazy!

But if you really want to catch a python, put your hands down my pants and I'll bet you'll feel even more nuts.

This embassy hath a pleasant seat. Jacana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post

But if you really want to catch a python, put your hands down my pants and I'll bet you'll feel even more nuts.
    Baron I would guess you're closer to a garter snake.
    Runner-up for three Trollies!
    (won none...)

Jacana's Guide to Intelligent Posting

This embassy hath a pleasant seat. Kurtz's Avatar

Sounds like a wonderful way to get people killed. I bet it is a conspiracy by the anti-gun lobby!

My duty is to the bribe!. RobinLocks's Avatar

Although I don't know how good an idea the "let the rednecks take care of it" front is, there needs to be something done to get their numbers under control. The size of the Everglades and the countless advantages the pythons have over their hunters makes their capture a difficult feat.

I think it's focused on only Burmese pythons as their size is difficult to control, and must thus be restrained.

I hope this offer will still stand if there is an "Italian Python" capture challenge.
    Last edited by RobinLocks; 01-15-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Oh my god you're so perfect.
    [9:22:27 PM] Slippery: control what?
    [9:22:30 PM] Slippery: we all know you run **** Robin

At the risk of being confused for Siskel and Ebert...

I gone an' did something bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinLocks View Post
    I hope this offer will still stand if there is an "Italian Python" capture challenge.
    Of course, though the olive oil lathering makes it harder to get a good grasp on.

This embassy hath a pleasant seat.

We have a ball python. I'm not a great fan of snakes as pets (or any reptile for that matter), but I have to admit, he's pretty cool and extremely docile around humans.

We also have red-eared slider turtles and used to have an iguana (who was a mean *******).

How I long for a cat or dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Sounds like a wonderful way to get people killed. I bet it is a conspiracy by the anti-gun lobby!
    I'd bet it's a move from the pro-gun lobby backed by the NRA. Gives a new incentive to buy that new Bushmaster .223 to add to your home arsenal.

"I use meh gunz fo pretectsion, one fo dem demonrats like Obama dat wanna tax muh gunz, two fo dem gang banger I-legal aliuns dat try to break into mah hous why'l imma sleepen, un three fo dem burmese pytuns! Dem pytuns be al ova deez er swamps, yo'd be takin yo dandy stroll en den pytun grab ye in de leg an boy enna getcha, but ye de er hav ye gunz on ye den ye shoot em an shoot em good."

This embassy hath a pleasant seat. Kurtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I'd bet it's a move from the pro-gun lobby backed by the NRA. Gives a new incentive to buy that new Bushmaster .223 to add to your home arsenal.

"I use meh gunz fo pretectsion, one fo dem demonrats like Obama dat wanna tax muh gunz, two fo dem gang banger I-legal aliuns dat try to break into mah hous why'l imma sleepen, un three fo dem burmese pytuns! Dem pytuns be al ova deez er swamps, yo'd be takin yo dandy stroll en den pytun grab ye in de leg an boy enna getcha, but ye de er hav ye gunz on ye den ye shoot em an shoot em good."
    Surely the Burmese pythons are illegal aliens too?